Wibbly Wobbly Timey-Wimey: Achron Arrives

By Alec Meer on August 24th, 2011 at 6:30 pm.

I want to travel to a time when I'm not still exhausted from gamescom

We haven’t written anything on time-bending RTS Achron for while, which is probably because our enemies travelled back to the past and eradicated our earlier posts. Let me just travel to the future and ascertain whether we go on to write any further posts about it.

We do! Not that anyone on the planet ever gets to read them, because of… no, I vowed I wouldn’t talk about that. So while I go dig a fallout shelter in the garden, I’ll leave you guys to enjoy your final week of existence with the Achron launch trailer.

This one’s concentrating on the singleplayer narrative rather than the fiendishly clever time-travel systems, which Jim did a fine job of explaining here.

Here’s an earlier one, which focuses more on how you dick about with mulitple timelimes at once.

HEAD ASPLODE.

Achron’s officially out at the end of this week, August 29, but if you pre-order now you’ll get access to the most recent build right away. Even launching is paradoxical for this game, appropriately.

Hang on a few more days, though, and you’ll find a write-up from Jim arriving here very soon.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Dana says:

Interesting, ill wait for double you, tee, eff.

2. J. says:

Mulitple timelimes? Sweet!

3. Daiv says:

I’m going to have been about to already have completed it. Soon.

4. DainIronfoot says:

I have to echo what they said on three moves ahead… great mechanic, a real shame they didn’t go a little further and come up with a good universe to go with it.. I can understand their reasoning for sticking with standard C&C gameplay though.

An interesting art design would have gone a long way though..

• FriendlyFire says:

Fully agreed. I’ve actually posted on their forums some time ago nearly pleading for a better art style (and I did get a few replies), but I guess I understand they don’t have the resources of a AAA studio and more importantly decided to devote their team to making the time-travelling work. The amount of work required for that is simply staggering, so it’s unsurprising that for such a small team other aspects went with less polish.

Hopefully modders will pick it up (it has or will have full mod tools) and make it into something lavish.

• Decimae says:

It’s not all standard C&C gameplay. The Human race(or CESO) plays somewhat similar. One of the alien races(the Vecgir) is compared to SC2 with lots of teleporting. The other alien race(Grekim) isn’t really comparable to anything; all the units are also production buildings if near other units, and the basic units can morph into tech buildings and other buildings.

The art design is mostly because of the requirements of a time-travel game, and the (often criticized) hard sci-fi art and story direction.

• FriendlyFire says:

The Grekim somewhat remind me of the alien race in Earth 2160.

• dsi1 says:

Achron shares much more in common with SC than C&C, permanently depletable resources, 3 species, species instead of factions, and incredibly varied races at that. (Much more so than SC)

They also put a lot of work into making the game as scientifically correct as possible. (The only straight up impossible thing [and even then, AFAWK] is the time travel element, Q-Plasma and L-Crystals are basically highly compacted energy and matter, for instance)

• Sarcose says:

The art direction and poor pathing is literally because of a lack of processing power. Not a lack of developer resources – the developers had plenty of talented artists that had to keep their polygon counts way down, because the time travel mechanic eats up a ton of processing power. The developer is quoted as saying they have _literally_ one millionth of the processing they are able to devote to path-finding, as well – anything more and no computer can run it. It’s like Dwarf Fortress – it may be graphically simple, but you can break a modern computer with it if you’re not careful. Except it’s not a huge untidy clusterfuck like DF.

And I don’t see what’s wrong with the storyworld of the game. The races have equivalents in other RTS games, but that doesn’t make the fluff wordforword comparable.

5. DeathHamsterDude says:

Fracking hell people!!! Why are you still talking about this game?! What is wrong with you? Can’t you see what Alec is trying to tell us? Dig! Dig for your lives!

Unless . . . unless by playing this game, I can change the future and lead us into another time-line where the world doesn’t end.

Oh.

Great! Just great! Now the survival of the human race depends on me playing the computer. I’ve been sinking in too many hours as it is. Very well.

*EDIT* – This is you from the future, whatever you do, do not play this game! IT wasn’t the solution, it was the cause! Please, don’t do it. The fate of the entire human race is in your hands!

*EDIT* – Well, you have a point . . . but this game DOES look good. Hmm. I’ll just have to weigh up the pros and cons.

*EDIT* – You bastard! You’ve killed us all for a stupid game!

*EDIT* – Hey hey hey! Call me a bastard, but don’t call the game stupid, it was pretty good.

*EDIT* – Alright, yeah, it was pretty good, I’m sorry, but you still killed us all!

*EDIT* – Whatevs, I’m going to go stare at The Secret World page until the beta is released.

*EDIT* – Oh God no! Not The Secret World! You gained four hundred pounds in a year playing that. I didn’t lose that weight until 2021!

*EDIT* – Cool! I’ve always wanted to waddle.

*EDIT* – My God you’re an idiot!

*EDIT* – Pot kettle bro. Pot kettle.

• Squishpoke says:

We live in the dark. We speak with our hands. We wear the clamps all our lives.

PLEASE! You must listen! We cannot maintain the link for long… I will type as fast as I can.

DO NOT PLAY THE GAME!

We were fools, fools to develop such a thing! Time was never meant to be altered on a mere whim. For a few short days, we marveled. Then the… whispers… began.

Were they Aramaic? Hyperborean? Some even more ancient tongue, first spoken by elder races under the red light of dying suns far from here? We do not know, but somehow, slowly… we began to UNDERSTAND.

No, no, please! I don’t want to remember! YOU WILL NOT MAKE ME REMEMBER! I saw brave men claw their own eyes out… oh, god, the screaming… the mobs of feral children feasting on corpses, the shadows MOVING, the fires burning in the air! The CHANTING!

WHY CAN’T I FORGET THE WORDS???

We live in the dark. We speak with our hands. We wear the clamps for all our lives.

Do not play the game!

• Bret says:

Ignore that chap. Bit bonkers.

Trust me, this will all work out fine. It got… wibbly, but I’m pretty sure we got out all the time grubbins, and the Daleks have mostly disappeared.

And… ah, this is tricky. Couple more crops of untime I just noticed, and… bother. Friendly People and their Grandfather are getting involved. Were involved. Will be involved.

We’ll be fine, just… stop moving forward in time, if you could for a few not-hours? It would really make things simpler all around.

6. FriendlyFire says:

I know it’s rather niche, but I’d still LOVE to see some commentary from the likes of TotalBiscuit. Even better would be some sort of “I suck at Achron” :)

7. Fneb says:

Would love to see matches of this played competitively by brainy people, would make for fascinating watching. Definitely would need commentary though!

8. studenteternal says:

hrmm, I bought access to a really early alpha of this like a year ago or somthing, I wonder if that is still valid for the full game?

9. Sutenvulf says:

Don’t even blink, blink and your dead!!

• Squishpoke says:

My dead what? This sentence makes no sense!!!

• Kaira- says:

He died before he had a chance to correct that typo.

• Glen Moyes says:

I was wondering if anybody else got the “Wibbly Wobbly Timey-Wimey” reference. It’s from an episode of Doctor Who—the BEST episode of Doctor Who in my opinion—called “Blink.” If you haven’t seen that episode yet go find and watch it right now. You’ll shit your britches.

10. Squishpoke says:

I call it “Achron: The Mindfucking” on my Steam Shortcut.

11. Josh W says:

I was a bit harsh before about this and how it deals with planning, but now I’m really impressed; in almost every other game, you’re priority is to do the perfect build order, fast and efficiently. In this game, spaces with wasted resources hanging around are spaces where you can stick in unit production to counter your opponents mix. “Cheese builds” are generally not that great, because they are not robust, and if people see what you’re doing, then they can adjust their actions slightly in the past to sort that out.

Basically, this is a game that weaponises hindsight, and all those “[slaps head], oh of course, if I’d just done that I could have got him” moments become something you can actually act on, so long as you do it fast.

• sinister agent says:

I honestly hadn’t thought about it like that, but this could be the game that breaks the horrible ‘build order drudgery’ spell that so many RTS games are labouring under.

• Sarcose says:

There are still a few rules of playstyle you have to maintain for yourself – you need to take steps to ensure your base is causally resistant. This is easy with Grekim, somewhat easy with CESO, but very difficult with Vecgir (Vecgir bases expand from other buildings rather than a builder unit – if someone goes back and destroys an early foundation they can undo your whole base). Build a Comm center early, for example, that way you will always have hierarchies, and it becomes simpler to go back in the past and move massive quantities of troops around.

12. sinister agent says:

I’m downloading this yesterday.

13. devriley50755 says:

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect..

14. InternetBatman says:

I’ll preorder this after it’s released.

15. ChainsawCharlie says:

So I am the only one who things the price too steep?

16. The Sombrero Kid says:

pay day celebration buy maybe?

17. Sinomatic says:

Will there be a demo, do we know?

Comment on this story