Charity Begins With Threat: Fear Is Vigilance

By John Walker on August 25th, 2011 at 4:33 pm.

Greenpeace should kill more whales.

Sometimes people just aren’t willing to take the necessary steps to ensure their good cause is appreciated by the masses. That’s something the star of free indie pixel action game, Fear Is Vigilance, doesn’t misunderstand. When her attempts to give out free personal alarms to students, to protect them when walking through the park at night, she finds people just aren’t interested. So she strikes upon a brilliant scheme: Beat people up in the park at night!

It’s so obvious, and yet for whatever inexplicable reason so few tend to think along these lines. Amnesty should hold a lot more people captive. So it is that you alternate between two game modes. Trying to hand out safety alarms to students within a 40 second time limit, and then trying to duff up a minimum number of people in the park before your own lights get knocked out. The more you beat up, the more likely students are to take your alarms the next day. See? Perfect logic!

It’s a cute game, and rather sensibly isn’t immediately an arcade loop. That mode’s available, but at first you play it through as a short story, daft and entertaining. It’s by Ruari “Randomnine” O’Sullivan, who created Beacon. And it’s well worth a play.

, , , .

1. Matt says:

Beat people up in the park at night? sounds like Golden Gate Park: The Game.

I liked the ganging-up-on-you AI behavior, but also felt that everyone in the park was a little quick to come to others’ aid.

2. Jamesworkshop says:

Are public parks really centers of mid-night violence, I feel much safer in the park than I do standing outside a chain pub, the only people I find that go to parks are drunk people of no fixed abode and doggers which I believe is britians fastest growing sport

3. McDan says:

I thought it was very entertaining. I can totally see this being a cause of violence in parks at nights now, it sure made me want to go beat up people there.

4. Web Cole says:

Is that the same randomnine who thrashed me in RPS’ very own Frozen Synapse tournament?

• randomnine says:

It sure is!

I’m actually doing a turn for a tournament game now – the semifinals have overrun because I’ve been busy finishing this off instead XD

• Web Cole says:

Haha, very good :P

Do me a favour and win would you? Losing to the person who wins the whole thing isn’t so bad on the old ego ;)

5. wererogue says:

Congrats, randomnine!

The concept sort of reminds me of the point in A Bard’s Tale (don’t play the PC port, it’s awful) where the barrel-maker corners you for smashing barrels, and then offers you a bounty on each barrel smashed because it drives up his sales :V

Maelig says:

Pretty fun.
    Also : WAR IS PEACE! IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH!

7. DrazharLn says:

Just played this and Beacon for the first time. I enjoyed FEAR IS VIGILANCE and thought it funny, but I loved Beacon.

Congratulations randomnine

8. Axess Denyd says:

Not so far fetched. Reminds me of how the Obama administration was sending guns to Mexican drug gangs so they could point to to violence caused by said guns and try to get support for banning them.

• Quirk says:

Took me a little bit to track down what you were talking about. Were you by any chance talking about the botched sting operation which attempted to track down major arms traffickers by monitoring the flow of guns across the US-Mexican border?

Just so you know, the US government wasn’t selling the weapons; the outcry came because they were letting the trading go ahead without intervention, in the hope of catching some bigger fish. But I guess your version makes for a much better tinfoil hat story.

• Axess Denyd says:

They let people buy when they would have failed background checks, instructed store owners to let the sales happen against their better judgement, and let the weapons go into another country with no way to actually track them until they were recovered after a crime and submitted for tracing by the Mexican government.

The only way to track the guns was after they were used for murder (which they were, a few hundred times), they didn’t make a single arrest, and they try to call it a “sting”?

If there was any POSSIBLE way this could have worked out for the best, I haven’t figured it out yet.

It’s like distributing a large amount of drugs to your street corner crack dealer, then checking people in the morgue who ODed and saying “Now we’ll find out who the drug kingpins are!”

9. Axess Denyd says: