Deviating From Cannon: Spocean Beta

By Jim Rossignol on August 25th, 2011 at 9:00 am.

Maybe he's having a nap.
I’ve not had a chance to get on the Spocean beta yet, but I wanted to get the UDK-powered project up here because it looks fantastic, and could hardly be more RPSy if it tried. It’s a game of team-based galleon-crewing warfare. Built in UDK, the game is – according to creators Woodley Games – a “woodpunk” simulation of “Napoleonic-era naval warfare from a first person perspective.” And it looks rather beautiful with it s gentle caricatures of ship-to-ship conflict. “Teams start on two separate ships, fire cannon shot at each other, and then try to board when they have the advantage,” explains the FAQ. “THEN they murder each other.”

You can get it here. (Thanks, PixelProspector!)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Nallen says:

Where did this come from?! Looks rather cool.

2. konrad_ha says:

RPS, the reddit of indy-PC-gaming.

3. Squirrelfanatic says:

Official RPS group? Rock Paper Ship-gun?

4. Sheng-ji says:

Grrrrr… Why must the internets be so slow! I want this!

5. The Sombrero Kid says:

wow, looks amazing, sounds amazing – amazing!

6. Tei says:

woodpunk is my new favorite word.

7. razgon says:

Weird – First glance at the picture for me looked like a bunch of leprechauns playing violin, while the dancer in the middle had collapsed from fatigue.

The game looks interesting, though!

8. Akimbo says:

We’re really going to need a couple of mirrors for this thing.

9. Inigo says:

Am I the only one who saw the screenshot and thought it was a war in Santa’s workshop?

10. HexagonalBolts says:

‘woodpunk’ – Oh. My. God. I think I’m in love…

11. Zoonp says:

Here’s a slightly faster link

12. Vandalbarg says:

Has anyone here played it yet? Are the ships actually destructible? Like, can the cannon shots influence the game environment? Is there a list anywhere of what you need to do, apart from load the cannons and aim? Steering, dealing with the mast, etc? Also, are the classes preset, or is it a free for all, he who is available does it kinda deal?

• Norskov says:

Here’s my first impressions. The goal is to dmage the enemy ship to weaken them, before you board. When a ship takes damage, leaks will start to appear which will damage the crew aboard.
      There’s three classes, Captain, Mechanic and Medic. There’s different types of shots, from what I gather they go from fast and weak to slow and deadly.
      When you are going to board, or the enemy are boarding your boat, you have to grab a weapon in the front.
      You only have one life per round, but it’s possible to revive your team mates(Hold E) for everyone, not just the medic.
      Leaks can be fixed by the mechanic.

13. DainIronfoot says:

It’s pretty cool, not really Napoleonic, more a cool fantasy thingy. Really interesting art style!

14. yhancik says:

I have no idea about the game, but I looove the style :D

15. HeavyHarris says:

Sooo? How is it? Who’s played it?

EDIT: played the game for a good hour. It’s pretty cool and the concept is definitely something new. I suggest playing it.

16. Oak says:

Simply reading “Napoleonic-era naval warfare from a first person perspective” filled me with glee. Please be good, please be good.

17. Norskov says:

Due to the lack of info in game, it might be a good idea to read: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=814651

18. brulleks says:

Cheers Norskov. That answers a few of my questions after the first attempt at playing.

Is there any way to invert mouselook?

19. Raithah says:

In the future, please use the Coral Cache when linking to sites that will implode under the increased traffic (i.e. put nyud.net after the TLD portion of the URL, or for example, this) — it’s basically an updating site mirror that shifts the load onto servers that can actually take it :3

Aaaalso, uploading installers to BurnBit (the torrent’s a few hours away from finishing creation, in case someone just checked that link), which converts them into a handy-dandy torrent file, allows for quick downloads while the primary server is being hammered. Hope it helps!

20. fenriz says:

how does the sailing work? does everyone have a role in it? Who grabs the tiller and who the topmast?

21. Anvilfolk says:

Someone make a torrent!

22. Nathan_G says:

Been playing for about an hour, tis indeed rough around the edges but it’s a great little game. Lots of potential I think. Hopefully the finished product will have lots of different ships, maybe some more ammo types.

23. Player1 says:

It reminds me of Air Buccaneers somehow… Fantastic little game. Have been playing it for hours now

24. Anvilfolk says:

So, erm, the only button that appears to be working for me is the quit button. The buttons to join servers have 0 effect. No messages nothing. I assume they are just full?

25. Man Raised by Puffins says:

Well that was pleasingly daft. Should be a fun time when the bugs are ironed out and it gets a bit more meat added.

26. David Bliff says:

Hi everybody, I work with the developers, two good friends of mine, on beta testing and community updates. I just want to say thanks for all the feedback and for checking the game out! It’s really exciting to have new people other than just close friends testing. If you want updates, check frequently at http://www.spocean.net (there should be a post tomorrow), or “like” Spocean on Facebook:

There’s also an official Steam Community group, just search for “Spocean” and it’ll come right up. Thanks, guys!

27. Torgen says:

Whenever I spawn in, I’m a disembodied… whatever. I have a health bar that doesn’t move when I get hit, can’t interact with anything, and can float out of the ship through a hole and hover around outside. I do get a message in the corner that “paths need to be rebuilt” or some such.

Comment on this story