Dungeon Mastery: Legends Of Grimrock

By John Walker on August 25th, 2011 at 12:30 pm.

It makes me happy in my soul.

Oh my goodness, I’m having Dungeon Master flashbacks of purest/purist happiness. Thank you to reader Mikko-Pentti for pointing us toward Finnish indie project, Legend Of Grimrock. Developers Almost Human Ltd. have just released their first in-game video (below), and it has me clawing at the screen. Tile-based, first-person Dungeon Master-style gaming, but with gorgeous shiny graphics. I want it. I want it now.

Almost Human are four self-described industry veterans, who I’m extremely delighted to learn work in a region called Espoo. The four of them have previously worked variously for Remedy (Alan Wake, Max Payne 2), and Futuremark (Shattered Horizon).

This one goes out to Richard Cobbett.

They’re describing Legend Of Grimrock as a “dungeon crawl game”, which sends your brain off into the wrong direction really. This is a first-person RPG, built in their own engine, like they made back when the world was pure and there were rainbows over every hillside. Just watch:

Despite the tile-based movement, as you’ll see you can still look around nice and easily – that’s the barrier that I find makes it so difficult to go back and play those games of yore. I’m desperate to replay Ultima Underworld II, but each time I try I bounce off the horrible lack of mouselook and find my modern brain is too rewired. Please, someone create a System Shock-style mouselook patch for UU2. Pleeeeeease.

But back to Grimrock – look, it even has spell casting! It’s like opening the cork on a bottle of my childhood happiness. Pressing the tiny button in the stone wall to open a secret passage! Oh oh oh, I want one. But I’ll likely have to wait until the end of this year when the game should be out.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Kieron Gillen says:

I’m on side with any game where you get to punch a snail.

KG

2. ReV_VAdAUL says:

I can’t be the only person to misread the title as Legends of Grimlock?

Now theres an RPG I’d play.

• Eclipse says:

How about Legends of Grimcock?

• Urthman says:

I got the name confused with Grimoire (and Desslock), and for a moment I thought John was talking about a game that’s been in development longer than Duke Nukem Forever.

• Chizu says:

Me Grimlock think this best idea he ever have…

3. Ashpolt says:

So, did anyone else misread the title as “Legends of Grimlock” and get excited that it might be a game about the Transformer who turned into a T-Rex? No? Just me?

[EDIT] Ah, I see I’m not the only one. Great minds think alike!

4. Srekel says:

Oh wow, brings back memories of playing Dungeon Master while my friend, unbeknownst to me, slowly slowly turning up the volume, leading me to believe that there’s a mummy walking around, getting closer and closer until I pretty much scream out in fear because he has to be right behind me. God damn those mummies.

• Quine says:

Those mummies scared me to the extent I had to turn the sound off and play CDs (CDS!) instead. Dungeoneering to the Cocteau Twins was much more soothing.

• Srekel says:

I’m glad someone else remembers them. :)

5. Swabbleflange says:

Oh my. I need this game in my life. Dungeon Master is my favourite game and I still replay that a couple of times a year.

• Casimir's Blake says:

YES YES YES!!

Finally, more dungeon crawlers! Between this, Skyrim, re-discovering Oblivion and Descend on iOS I’ll be happily dungeon-crawling for hours.

More of this please, developers! (Free-look would be nice though, 90-degree-angle movement is something that should be left to mobile platforms where it’s more appropriate.)

6. HermitUK says:

Having been raised on the likes of Eye of the Beholder, this is right up my street. Something of a Stonekeep vibe off the screens, though I could live without a repeat of the singing goblins.

Altogether now: “How come, Khul’kum, how come…”

Edit. Having watched the video, can now say I most certainly do want. Especially that casting system. This looks brill.

• atticus says:

I played Eye of The Beholder 2 about 15 years ago. Remember loving the intro.

Sucked at it though, as I was young and stupid and didn’t know much english back then. Ate rotten food, got killed by wolves quite frequently. Also made me really scared, such as when the PC speaker suddenly burst to life as a band of skeleton warriors attacked my party from behind in some deep dark dungeon.

*shudder*

• HermitUK says:

EotB2 was a tough one. Especially the lowest two levels of the catacombs, where bad dreams would flat out prevent you from resting to heal and refresh your spellbook. Though it also had a point where you came across a beholder wedged in a pit, which was highly amusing. He’d attack you later if you helped him get out, though :(

• MrKip says:

I remember sinking hours into Eye of the Beholder 2 with a few mates. We had a set of maps torn out of an issue of CU Amiga (I think) back when gaming magazines had useful stuff in them. . .

We finally, after what felt like years and multiple attempts, finished the Azure towers. Only the Crimson towers stood between us and victory, clicked to move into the tower and the bloody archaic anti-piracy measure (‘what is word three of line sixteen on the page with this symbol on it’) flicked up. Naturally being young chaps living in stinking rooms, the manual had been lost donkeys ago. We never did complete the game.

See, even in the rose-tinted ninties DRM was fucking up gaming.

• HermitUK says:

Stop! Before we continue, let’s have a quick history quiz! When was this pirate hanged in Antigua?

• Sinomatic says:

Yep, immediately cast my mind back to eye of the beholder too. Not sure I have the patience for that kind of combat now, nor the nerve for huge, animated arachnids and amnesia-like creepy corridors. I am a shameful wimp these days, my 80s-childself would be embarrassed.

Also, slight aside, wasn’t there a similar type of game around that time based on Elvira? You wandered around her mansion or something?

• Wizardry says:

The Elvira games were more like first person adventure games. Not really RPGs at all.

• rmtx97 says:

Looks exactly like an updated Stonekeep. That plot was really solid.
      But that damn fairies level (shudders).

• Grey_Ghost says:

I immediately thought of Eye of the Beholder after watching that video as well. Damn, now I actually want to play them again. Hell, I’d absolutely love to play them again with modern graphics like this game has.

Anyhow, the nostalgia factor alone may quite possibly ensure this games purchase for me.

7. herschel says:

Want.

8. endintears says:

Fuck yes! That is all.

9. cliffski says:

This looks absolutely fantastic. Yay.

10. TimA says:

Ooh, this looks very promising.

Does anyone remember Hired Guns? Just a fantastic game, I’d love to see a faithful remake. With internet co-op… oh my gosh.

• c-Row says:

Here, have my money. Hired Guns was as cool as a tile based first person RPG could get without ripping the fabric of the universe.

• Ringwraith says:

Ah yes, so very good that was, although it did have the advantage of nothing else really doing the same thing, with its guns and simultaneous character control.

• Robmonster says:

Captive. Now there was a game!

• Kefren says:

Hired Guns was fantastic. The music, the manuals, the characters (go Desverger!), all the training missions, the autogun sentries, the underwater bits with sharks that corroded electrical guns… Amazing. One of the few Amiga games I eventually completed. Once played 4 player co-op. Sadly the fellow players were rubbish and kept falling into water or dying.

11. Khemm says:

OH MY… Day one, that looks phenomenal, I miss the dungeon crawling RPGs so much.
    Buy it guys so they might create a larger, even awesomer sequel or another RPG in the vein of Wizardry!
    So excited!

12. Sheng-ji says:

This looks amazing…. Added to my must track list!

13. c-Row says:

*gets Abandoned Places flashbacks*

14. noom says:

Oh God yes. Hope it comes with an option for two player split-screen :D

15. d3vilsadvocate says:

This news post officially makes RPS my favorite Games news page now.

And my post now makes me an official RPS fanboi :D

16. Lars Westergren says:

Oh, but does it have standing in front of a door, dropping all your inventory in a big pile in front of you and then spending days of real time throwing said items at door to max out all your characters “Ninja” levels?

Ah, memories of a childhood well spent.

• HermitUK says:

Pfft, leaving bits of your inventory on pressure plates to keep doors open was where it was at.

• Swabbleflange says:

I once carefully set the mouse pointer over the Punch command, replaced the mouse with a joystick and set it to autofire while I went to college for the afternoon. Came back to a few Ninja levels.

Of course, it can be dangerous if you don’t have oodles of stamina. I remember I was high level enough that my natural stamina replenishment was more than that used by the effort of punching.

17. Maxheadroom says:

Damn it why couldnt you have posted this in December??! I hate waiting

Is it just my fuddled brain or are most of the sound effects from Dungeon Master too?

• bonuswavepilot says:

Nah, those DM sound FX are pretty well burned into my skull, and I’m reasonably sure these aren’t them.
      They’re nice though – I like the stone grating on stone sound of the wall rising, particularly.

18. Brumisator says:

Does this game have any value whatsoever beyond nostalgia?

I mean come on, the only reason why these dungeon crawlers used that choppy 1st person view was technical limitations!

2D platformers are tinted with nostalgia, but they’re still a genre of their own, this game here seems to be nothing more than willingly regressing the evolution of 3D games.

• lhzr says:

if by choppy 1st person view you mean the tile based movement, then yeah, it’s lame. what’s worse, though, is that the whole thing seems to be about exploring labyrinthine dungeons. if moving through endless identical corridors can be called exploring, that is.

• Narretz says:

Well, it is a very interesting mix between real-time and turn based gameplay.
      I just hope they a) don’t make it too similar to the orginal games (larger rooms please) and b) so that you can play it on your own. Would be a great way to relive these old Dungeon Hack times.

• Eclipse says:

oh shut up you nostalgia breaker :|

Also, tile based dungeon crawlers are still fun, play Undercroft on iOS or Mazes of Fate on GBA (there’s a sequel on DS too, but never played that one).
      I even loved Orcs & Elves from id software on my old nokia phone

• Khemm says:

Do Bethesda and Bioware games have any value beside catering to the Halo and CoD crowd? Not really, they only make the RPG genre dumber and simplistic, so why aren’t you complaining about that?

Tile based movement was created with technical limitations, sure, but it did create very interesting puzzle and combat scenarios. EoB or Dungeon Master felt very different compared to, say, Ultima Underworld despite belonging to the same genre. There’s nothing wrong with trying to bring back such a unique gameplay mechanics back.

• Nick says:

yawn.

• Urthman says:

It’s part of the gameplay. It’s like you’re asking to play chess except on a board without any squares.

You don’t have to like chess, but you can’t play it without a board.

• Wizardry says:

Which is better, Wizardry VI or Dragon Age II?

• Berzee says:

I’m going to say Wizardry VI because there is six of it. That’s more than two.

• Buttless Boy says:

But surely six wizards are no match for two dragons?

• Wulf says:

And I’m going to say that Dragon Commander trumps all of them.

Dragon with a jetpack commanding an armada of flying fortresses of boom > just about everything else you could get in a fantasy or science-fantasy setting.

• Shodex says:

Skyrim begs to differ.
      However, to the previous argument. Remember Wizardry has had a lot more time to make so many games games, Dragon Age could get there in good time.
      Though, to be honest (and this is coming from somebody who has played RPGs of all shapes, sizes and ages) Dragon Age II is better. If Wizardry VI came out today and had a higher budget, then maybe it’d win.
      But Dragon Age II is a much better game, it has that technological advantage. I didn’t enjoy it at much as I did other Bioware RPGs. It’s bad in comparison.
      But people shouldn’t live so much in the past. I look forward to Legends of Grimrock and I look forward to Skyrim. I have Fallout 2 on my PC and New Vegas on my PlayStation 3.
      The old ways were not superior, not even close. They’re not bad, and playing an old game can be very fun. But as it stands, Dragon Age II is a better game than Wizardry VI. But not a better game than Wizardry VI was, it’s old now. And it’s showing it’s wrinkles as bad as ever. Sometimes not even nostalgia can save a game for me.

(apologies for the rant)

• Hatman says:

Agreed, Shodex. Just yesterday, I heard someone say that the works of Shakespeare beat out Twilight: The Musical. I mean, Shakespeare would probably be better if he released his works today, but the wrinkles are definitely showing; I don’t like Twilight: The Musical as much as other modern plays, but it’s new, so it’s better. People shouldn’t live so much in the past. I look forward to Yiff!: A Furry Musical.

• Berzee says:

“But surely six wizards are no match for two dragons?”

It all depends on the age of said dragons, I imagine.

@Hatman — I know that you are speaking as a serious man of the world, and I take you seriously and find myself unable to disagree.

19. mac-way says:

I’m keeping an eye on this as well. Looks good so far.

20. Theoban says:

But in Ultima Underworld you can at least look up and down with 1 and 3

21. Kdansky says:

Now it only needs an interesting plot.

• Eclipse says:

like Stonekeep! :D

• Khemm says:

Who played dungeon crawlers for plot? We played the hell out of them for great combat scenarios, puzzles, multiple character builds and level designs. :) That’s what matters and hope the devs do these things justice.

• Wulf says:

There were a few that had a pretty good plotline to them and they were so, so much better because of it. It’s mostly though I think due to my lack of compulsion to play if there isn’t any kind of storyline. Which, I suppose, saves me from getting addicted to certain kinds of games. I like a capsulised experience, where you have a beginning, a middle, and an end, but where the end isn’t just completely arbitrary.

A few dungeon crawlers actually managed to pull that off with varying degrees of success, and personally? I feel that having a story there just makes them all the more interesting. “Here is a nondescript dungeon.” doesn’t do so much for me as, say “Here is a nondescript dungeon which items of strange, unrecognisable forms of technology were retrieved from, a place where many enter but not all of them leave, and some leave transformed into something else entirely. Not sure what goes on down there, but I bet you want to find out now, don’cha? Oh, and here’s a partially translated book with some hints as to what’s going on, you’ll find clues down there. Off you go, then!” does.

22. Lemming says:

If it has the ‘figure it out, genius’ spell system that the original DM had I’m sold.

EDIT: Just watched the video, IT DOES! YAY!

I think they should go with more bloody deaths and leaving corpses than sprinkling into fairy dust though. If the levels are anything like the original DM, you’ll need those corpses just to get around.

Here’s to collecting more Screamer slices!….and running from mummies

• Arona Daal says:

In DM you could boost your Spells ,444 was a more powerful Fireball than 144,in the Video they seemed to be unable to activate each rune more than once.

Nevertheless,looks damn good.

23. Flameberge says:

…spiders. *shudder*

• LionsPhil says:

Scuttle scuttle.

• diebroken says:

I had just started to get over the spiders from System Shock 2 and now this – oh, but it does look great! Hope there aren’t any psi-monkeys in the game… *shudders*

24. Nallen says:

Eye of the Beholder with tessellation?! YES!

25. Tretiak says:

Skyrim Killer!

• Khemm says:

If Skyrim is anything like Oblivion or Failout 3, this game will kill it for sure.

• torchedEARTH says:

You laugh, but I think you might have something there.

I bet it won’t cost as much as Skyrim.

26. Jorum says:

These were probably my favourite type of games on Amiga.
    So FUCK YES!

Now just need someone to remake Captive and Perihelion with this engine.

• Wizardry says:

Perihelion? That had top down Gold Box style combat. Nothing like Dungeon Master.

27. Zarunil says:

I’ve been dying for a game like this, it looks epic! WANT!

I loved Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore.

In the meantime, can anyone name similar titles of recent years?

28. Ergates_Antius says:

I was interested… until the second screen shot.

Big Fucking Spiders can fuck right off.

29. Jams O'Donnell says:

Oh my, that looks all kinds of lovely — I loved tile-based RPGs on my Amiga.

However, how excellent would it be if you took this and made it all roguelike? Come to think of it, has there been anything like a first-person Roguelike at all?

• Lobotomist says:

@Jams O’Donnell

Yea…i was making one. But my programmer bailed out :(

I have complete design document, gui, lots of graphics gathering dust at my HD :(

• Khemm says:

Find another programmer! Lots of people on the net would love to help people like you.

• Dominic White says:

Baroque on the PS1/Saturn (and later remade on the PS2/Wii) is a first-person (optionally third-person in the remakes, which actually works a bit better) realtime roguelike. It’s pretty neat.

• Wizardry says:

Dungeon Hack was a first person roguelike made by DreamForge. As far as I know it was the first ever first person roguelike.

• ZephyrSB says:

Dungeon Hack was basically Eye of the Beholder with random dungeons. Great fun in short bursts ^^

edit: grrr…Wiz, you damn Ninja. Go back to punching walls :p

• Lobotomist says:

Wish it was true.

My game is remake of dungeon hack – but with more complexity and variety

Basically mix of roguelike , Original D&D and ultima underworld.

All this with super streamlined interface and old school graphic and sound style.

But no luck

Its a project that needs dedication. And programmers find it hard to stick around for RPGs

Most want instant gratification. Or at least a game that can have some visible results fast.

And RPG only comes together when its completely finished.

• noerartnoe says:

@Lobotomist: Go to the “Help Wanted” Forum on GameDev.net and ask around. You might find someone interested in working with you.

Also: “Most want instant gratification.”? In my, admittedly limited, experience there is no such thing when it comes to programming. (At least not if you want to do it right :P )

• Lobotomist says:

Unfortunately there is new trend on indy scene. Kind of started by games like world of goo and such.

In theory if you can not write prototype of the game in a week. And play it. And if it does not have fun gameplay at that stage.
      Than the game is not worth doing.

Many indy programmers take this as a mantra.

Problem is , it just doesnt work for RPG.

It could take months until you have anything resembling fun in RPG prototype.

• BodyByCake says:

@Lobotomist I’ve been looking for an artist to do a Dungeon Master remake for iOS/android for months now! If you are interested shoot me an email novabycake at gmail dot com

• Berzee says:

“And RPG only comes together when its completely finished.”

Dude, this is so true. I write little games all the time and they’re fun, I usually don’t finish them but the stuff I end up with is enough for me and co. to enjoy messing with the variables for a couple hours and see if anything funny happens, or see how quickly I can add some new feature. Platformers and top-down hack-em-ups and even RTS-style controls are fine for this.

RPGs and management-style games are TERRIBLE if you want instant gratification. Like people have mentioned they might take around the same time to complete — but you can have a dude running and jumping within 30 minutes and it’s fun to make him run and jump. If you have some kind of epic story-driven RPG in mind, you’ll be sorely disappointed by just how many moving parts need to come together to make the fun. (I suppose you could start with a really super simple 1-stat deal, and expand it from there…maybe I’ll try making a very prototypable RPG some day…something like the ones from the Assemblee project).

It’s not to say they’re harder to program. They’re just harder to be patient about, leastaways for me. =P

• Lobotomist says:

Hehe. Exactly

We did made some kind of prototype.
      And programmer told me: Its really boring. You just go trough corridors and kill mob.

Thats as far you can go with RPG prototype, i am afraid….

• Berzee says:

Yep, since the joy of an RPG comes from the long spiral of progression, and from the agonizing choices as you progress, and sometimes from the unfolding of the story…

Very rarely does the joy come from the base combat mechanics (even in a game where the fights are fun, it’s about having a lot of options or seeing a careful prearranged setup pay off, or knowing that you’ll be tougher after the fight).

I’m starting to think it’s best to start with a prototype of the character generator or whatever makes your game special — and maybe make the combat some kind of insta-simulated thing at the start (so you can quickly see how it feels to run around getting xp and taking damage…but without any true calculations for xp and damage ;).

30. Lemming says:

Also,

31. Balm says:

Or I could just reinstal LoL and kill the witch again.

I honestly can’t see much difference or any incentive to pick this game over any old crawler

32. Lobotomist says:

another failed reply – RPS should add : delete post button

33. Matt says:

Holy shit this game looks AWESOME. I love old school dungeon crawlers.

34. JackDandy says:

I wish someone would make a modern version of Ultima Underworld. Played it some time ago, and I really enjoyed it. Arx Fatalis is a bit too linear IMO.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to hearing more about this game.

35. Ajh says:

I want this game.

I hated and adored games like this growing up. Hated because they frustrated me to no end, adored because it felt awesome when you figured out the puzzle and stopped DYING right near the end. (*cough*Eyeofthebeholder*cough*)

The website says they hope to release by the end of the year. I can’t wait!

36. bill says:

I could never get the hang of PARTY games with an FPS view. It’s like having a dozen arms. I wish they’d make it so you actually saw the players leap forward with each attack.

Also, i hope they vary the tileset, have some big open spaces, and also make better use of shadows – with all those torches and spiders there should be some scary shadows of foreboding!

• Wizardry says:

So basically you hate 50% of the CRPG genre?

• DainIronfoot says:

“I could never get the hang of” = “Hate” eh?

• Wizardry says:

Yes. :D

• Azradesh says:

I hated all CRPGs until Baldur’s Gate the the games that followed. I later picked up the first two Fallouts and enjoyed those as well.

• Buttless Boy says:

Glad I’m not the only one who has problems with party-based CRPGs. I never saw the point, especially in games where the story didn’t matter – Baldur’s Gate and its ilk gets away with it because the other party members are actual characters; but in most games they’re just faces with no personalities.

Having to micromanage six characters instead of one is the main reason I don’t play older CRPGs (or newer Bioware ones).

• MrEvilGuy says:

Hey now! I’ve always preferred party-based (c)rpgs because they give me a sense of companionship. With a single character, the only characters to interact with are NPCs (who are scripted and hence their interaction is very limited) – loneliness and isolation occurs. By controlling multiple characters, I can imagine dialogue between them – Might and Magic was my favourite.

The benefits (or hindrances) of party-based combat depends entirely on the game design.

• bill says:

@Wizardry: Don’t hate, just found weird. So i haven’t tried more than a few.

For me it’s weird that it’s supposed to be a “party” but it feels like one guy. It may come from having played Wolfenstein/Doom before trying M&M, etc.. It was ok back in the REALLY early days like the Spectrum, as everything was so abstract – but it soon started to feel strange.

Oddly, adding mouselook and full 3d just made it even more jarring – everyone looking around at the same time? Like Wimbledon? It’s a hard image to shake.
      The “party” is often silent – so it’s more like having 4 weapons than 4 characters – except each weapon has it’s own inventory to manage. Then all you get is character’s attacks cycling in turn, making it feel more like waiting for your weapons to cool down in Mechwarrior.

Single character FP RPGs I get along with fine (daggerfall, underworld…). The only party FP RPG i remember enjoying was Betrayal At Krondor – as the battles broke out into 3rd person and then it felt like a party.

Thing is, i think they COULD fix it pretty easily these days. Instead of insubstantial and characterless “swishes” on screen when each “character” attacks, give the characters their own 3d models and animations and have them step/leap forward to make their attacks.

• Berzee says:

So like DXHR takedowns, then ;)

37. TillEulenspiegel says:

Combat looks pretty terrible; if the game requires you to back away while frantically clicking the attack buttons as shown in the video, that’s kinda disappointing.

Otherwise, great to see a new game like this, and the positive reactions here. Anything that broadens the indie RPG market is a good thing in my book.

• Matt says:

Well, I suppose you could just stand in one spot while frantically clicking the attack buttons, if you wanted to get hit.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Like I says, if the video shows the optimal strategy, then bleh.

I know some old games (Eye of the Beholder?) worked like this. It was stupid then, and it’s stupid now. Either make a first-person action game, or realize you’re trying to create some kind of reasonable abstraction of a four-person party and how they move and fight.

• Wizardry says:

I agree with you. Not the biggest fan of Dungeon Master clones at all. Real-time dungeon crawling with a party tends to be worse than turn-based dungeon crawling with a party in every single way.

38. Pointy says:

Like Dredmor, I like the turn based/tile based movement. It gives me time to plan and think.

Anyone else expect him to turn and throw the switch so the gate would smash down on the spider?

The games (similar to this) that I remember where :
    Dungeon Master (and Chaos strikes back) (Atari ST)
    Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 (and maybe 3?) (PC)
    Shining in the Darkness (Megadrive)

Theres a Java Dungeon Master remake found here :

Bloodwych just came back to me too, oh and Alternate reality on the Atari XL…

• Wizardry says:

This isn’t turn-based. Nor is Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder. They are all real-time.

• Pointy says:

Ah, I see the confusion here.

Yes DM and Eob were real time but from watching the above video it appeared to me that the Grimrock dungeon worked like Dredmor, in the way that you make a move from one tile to the next and then the monsters do but… if that was the case then the combat wouldn’t be so quick… Hmmm.
      Not sure…
      Either way, I still like the look of this though.

• bonuswavepilot says:

Oh man, Bloodwych! That was split screen multiplayable yeah?
      Had the NPCs you had to try to convince to join the party? “Come join our merry band…”

39. Midarc says:

At least you had the dignity to only claw at the screen.

I tried to dry hump it.
    I feel I should be more ashamed than I am.

40. Vinraith says:

I’ve been following this one ever since I saw it over on RPGWatch. It looks marvelous, I hope it sees the light of day as a finished product.

41. Nick says:

Excellent, looking forward to it.

42. Vexing Vision says:

And now give me Bloodwhych-like co-op and I am sold for life.

I’m probably already sold for a quarter of my life.

43. Wizardry says:

I don’t like simplistic real-time dungeon crawlers. Dungeon Master, the first major one, was acceptable and quite fun for me because it was just so different. However, when the huge wave of them came in 1990, such as Ishar, Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, Black Crypt and Captive, I just got bored of the concept. These kind of games aren’t in the same league as Wizardry and Might and Magic descendants.

Also, John, why do you hate the tile-based and first-person Might and Magic games but love Dungeon Master and its clones?

• Nick says:

well, the last 3 (4?) werent tile based..

• Wizardry says:

And III, IV and V were the best ones.

• Nick says:

True, but I am assuming Johns comment was about 6 – 8, which whilst not awful (apart from 8) weren’t that good either.

I do like Isle of Terra and Worlds of Xeen a lot though, I wish this game was turn based in its combat aswell, its almost pointless to have tile movement without turn based imo.

• Wizardry says:

Well, it is pointless. There was a reason why Dungeon Master was tile-based and that was technological limitations. Then there was a reason why Ultima Underworld was free roaming, and that was because those technological limitations had vanished by 1992. Then again, if you remove the tile-based gameplay you have to scrap the party too, unless you want to end up with a Might and Magic VI+ type of game.

Also, I’d say that a huge chunk of Might and Magic fans prefer VI and VII over the older turn-based ones. You can see this in a long running poll at RPG Codex.

The combined votes for VI, VII and VIII right now is 95. The combined votes for III and World of Xeen is 74. And that’s on the Codex. The results would be skewed even more heavily in the direction of the later games anywhere else.

• AlwaysRight says:

Dude loves him some RPGs.

44. Gothnak says:

Randomised dungeons and loot please!

Mix Dungeon Master, Bloodwych, Captive and Eye of The Beholder and i’ll be happy!

45. Cinnamon says:

This looks really good. Dungeon Master always had a little problem with the UI in that it was a bit too cluttered and hard to use all the party members abilities optimally but this just looks so clean. The problem of how to have a fun and properly involving real time game with full control of an RPG party, without copouts like auto attack and AI control, is one that has been too neglected.

46. JohnnyMaverik says:

Looks awesome, but is it turn based or real-time? I couldn’t tell…

47. MrThingy says:

WANT

(being on Atari ST, I was denied the loveliness of the Eye of the Beholder series and had to make do with Ishar I – III … which were lovely and Frenchy.)

48. Flimgoblin says:

Wow! gimme gimme gimme now!

49. Fumarole says:

In unrelated news Dungeon Keeper 2 is on GOG as of today.

• MrThingy says:

Alas it appears to be crash-tastic. Might have to wait a while and see if GOG are able to do anything about it. (lots of forum & review traffic about crashes so far)

I applaud them for trying to get these games back in circulation, but there definately seems to be problems with compatibility that need to be ironed out.

(Not that I’m also worried about getting hopelessly addicted to DK2 again…)

50. Mungrul says:

Mon Ful Ir!

Dungeon Master is still one of my favourite games ever, and I find still holds up remarkably well, thanks to fiendish puzzles that treat the gamer’s intelligence with respect.

Oh, and just in case there are folks here who’d like to try the original but never had the chance: http://dmweb.free.fr/