Sky Battles Afoot: World Of Planes Trailer

By John Walker on August 25th, 2011 at 2:35 pm.

PEW PEW PEW!

Oh this could get awkward. Wargaming.net recently announced World Of Warplanes to join World Of Tanks and the forthcoming World Of Battleships. But it seems another MMO already had a very similar idea. The imaginatively titled World Of Planes from Gaijin Entertainment was first announced in April, and has a debut trailer out today. In a world where you can’t have The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Scrolls without trouble, I’m impressed that this one hasn’t kicked off yet. (Let alone Blizzard getting involved.) Also, World Of Planes’ trailer is pretty.

So here’s the World Of Planes trailer:

Which you can compare and contrast with the World Of Warplanes trailer:

Hmmmmmmmmm. Interesting.

, , , , , .

1. Rii says:

World of Planes wins because it has PBYs.

2. jonfitt says:

Both f2p like World of Tanks?
    If so: let the best f2p WW2 MMO flight sim win!
    (I never thought I’d be saying that!)

• Dana says:

Unfortunately, WoT is “pay2enjoy”.

• Veridos says:

@Dana
      I disagree, WoT is very enjoyable without dropping any coin on it.

• Nick says:

yeah, WoT is perfectly playable and enjoyable without money. Money just speeds progression up mostly, as long as you can find a tier 5 or 6 tank you do well with and enjoy playing you’ll be fine for credits to run higher stuff.

3. MiniMatt says:

Very pretty. Perhaps it’s the grand total of one whole hour behind the controls of a Cessna many years ago that’s inflating faith in my abilities but I have a feeling I’m much better suited to this sort of pew than man shooting.

On the plus side – if this sort of thing is coming back into PC gaming fashion, then space flight sim stuff just has to be round the corner. Quarter of a bloody century I’ve been waiting for Elite Online :o)

4. KauhuK says:

If the game mechanics are good then why not. I still like the idea of steampunk airbattling Guns of Icarus mmo more than these.

5. Lev Astov says:

World of Planes will probably run better and already looks way more beautiful than anything Wargaming.net would make, but something tells me that once again, Wargaming.net will nail the concept and make the more entertaining game. It’s a shame they’re so bad at coding.

• Koozer says:

You know Wargaming are supposedly working on a huge graphics update, complete with optimisations and fancy new lighting?

6. Richie Shoemaker says:

It’s worth mentioning that World of Planes (WoP) is being developed by the same chaps that wot did Wings of Prey (er… WoP), which means they know their flying onions. The WoWplane guys know their online battle onions. It will an interesting duel, with or without the threat of legal action over names.

• TimA says:

Mmm. Wings of Prey was great for lightweight simulation fun. The thing that impressed me most was the game engine, it looks beautiful (particularly the terrain) and runs so smoothly.

• metalangel says:

Unfortunately, they don’t know how to program a dynamic campaign. When Apache Air Assault comes to PC you’ll find another Wings of Prey: a beautiful, exciting and accessible sim with a short, scripted, linear campaign and absolutely nothing to do once you’ve finished it.

• galaxion says:

Didn’t Apache Air Assault come out last year?

• metalangel says:

Indeed it did… stupid Eurogamer have it down as due to be released for PC 18 Nov 2011… a year after it came out. Stupid me believed them.

7. scorcher24 says:

I know how its gonna play.
    You won’t be able to see any russian planes at all.
    And if you buy a new “Cloud Paint” for 10.000 Gold, which hosts 100$, you stay invisible for others.

8. Zeronine says:

This does not appear to be the same Gaijin who made the BIT.TRIP games.

9. Acorino says:

>>In a world where you can’t have The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Scrolls without trouble, I’m impressed that this one hasn’t kicked off yet.

My thoughts exactly.

10. mkjlin says:

http://voguecatch.us/value.asp hot to play the game

Daiv says:

I can’t tell if you’re a spambot or not without clicking that link. The link itself suggests that you might be… If you are, then congratulations. If you aren’t, then I’m sorry.

Either way, I weep for us as a species.

11. Dakia says:

WoP actually looks more interesting to me simply due to the inclusion of naval objectives. I can see some intense attack/defend games in my future. Time to dust off the joystick.

• Koozer says:

I’m sure I read WoW (damn this acronym) will have ground-based objectives for the bombing of. Maybe that will include boats.

12. yurusei says:

On another note, if Wargaming.net knew any better, they could have combined World of Warplanes with World of Battleships, enabling us to experience that slugfest in the above trailer.

That would be cheeseburgers.

• BSG11 says:

WoWP merged with WoB would be *bacon* cheeseburger. Like a Battlestation Pacific cheeseburger topped with delicious unlockable, tiered bacon and clan war sauce.

13. Koozer says:

Yay my first eaten comment!

I hope the flight model of either is less Rogue Squadron and more Microsoft Flight Simulator. WoT strikes a good balance between Red Orchestra and Battlefield for me.

14. Torgen says:

First impression: “Good God, Brewster Buffalos and Vindicators. HAS to be a Midway scenario.” Matches based on actual forces are FAR more appealing to me than the German/Soviet/US mish mash every game of WoT is.

15. Stranglove says:

Am I a bad person for being annoyed that the Spitfires in the WoWplanes trailer looked very much like the desert versions, but in northern european theatre colours?

I will probably play both. Just because I like planes.

16. Lazaruso says:

Next time, Notch, name your game The Elder World of ScrollCraft and you’ll have more publicity than you could ever want.

17. tigershuffle says:

I signed up fot the beta on this ages ago……… when Wings of Prey was on steam sale for under £5 :)
    having played WoTanks since beta last August I have more faith in Gajjin producing the better game.

But money talks ….and Wargaming have got a huge following to call on now.

and regarding WoTanks, i really wish Wargaming would pull their fingers out and have ‘historical team play’ .. I hate the mishmash teams too :(