Arkham City Is A GFWL Title

By Jim Rossignol on August 30th, 2011 at 11:28 am.

There was some talk over the weekend that Batman: Arkham City would not be using GFWL. That turned out to not be true, according to this article on VG247, who contacted Warner for comment. A Warner rep said: “Arkham City is indeed a G4WL [sic] title.” Did he say [sic] of his own esoteric spelling? I just don’t know.

The game is out on October 18th. I will still be playing it.

« »

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Tunips says:

It’s single player only, right? No hurry then.

2. MFToast says:

I heard GFWL slowly turns your PC into an Xbox 360. And you always have to click slightly below the interface buttons for some stupid reason. Way to go, death star.

• Navagon says:

It’s because Microsoft have never even heard of this “Windows” thing. They actually created it you say? Nah, can’t be. No other company is as inept at programming stuff to work on Windows, so that must be bullshit, right? They can’t possibly be the ones who actually created it. No way that’s true.

3. Kefren says:

I won’t buy this then. I tried GFWL once, with Fuel, it was a pain in the arse. I avoid Steam or GFWL, anything with ridiculous online shenanigans. I just want to play the game, not log in. Luckily there are so many games to play that I’ll never regret this decision (I need about ten years for the ones I have already bought on GOG and GamersGate!)

4. BreadBitten says:

‘Arkham Asylum’ is a fantastic game despite being a GFWL title. As long as the developers don’t tack on some hokey multiplayer component as a last minute decision, having GFWL is no biggie for me…

5. skinlo says:

I’ll probably wait until it goes down to £5 before I buy it then, like I did for the first game.

6. rocketman71 says:

So it’s a “don’t fucking buy this” title?.

Pity.

7. wazups2x says:

I buy it when it goes on sale.

Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

Oh yay… now I won’t be buying the sequel, just as I didn’t buy the first one, and only because I can’t save my progress when in Linux (which is always). A shame; the game runs beautifully in Linux, apart from the Microsoft blob… COINCIDENCE?

9. Drinking with Skeletons says:

As someone who has to play most of his games offline (all I have at home is an abysmal wireless modem from Verizon; I live in the country and no internet company sees any profit in extending service to my street), I have to say that I’ve actually had less trouble with GFWL than Steam. I know, heresy!

But the fact is that Steam has this wonderful tendency to ignore my settings regarding keeping games up to date, resulting in it trying to perform updates that would take over six hours per game on random titles. This means that any time I install–from disk, since that’s all I can reasonably expect–a Steam game, I can expect at least one of my other titles to be locked up until I lug my PC to someplace with a decent internet connection.

Steam also has an even more wonderful tendency to completely delete critical files for some of my titles. After wrestling with it to install Human Revolution from the disk, I discovered that my entire Portal directory had been erased.

GFWL has the obnoxious habit of always demanding my password, even in offline mode, but is otherwise quite stable. It also manages to record achievements and let me look at them even when offline, a feat that Steam seems unable to replicate (a little thing, I know, but why does Steam fail at something so simple?).

God help me, but this is good news.

10. WrongThinker says:

Good lord. Does Microsoft think PC users actually want this tripe? Anyone who can afford a half-way decent PC can afford a 360. If PC users want that experience, they’ll pay for it. MICROSOFT! LET THE PC BE THE PC!!!

I’m still going to get this game because it’s going to be great and the developers deserve my money for treating the PC platform with respect (3D Support, HQ Textures, etc.), but I am pissed at whoever made the choice to include Xbox Live for Windows.

• Navagon says:

“the developers deserve my money for treating the PC platform with respect”

It’s the publisher that sees the money. It’s the publisher that thought GFWL was a good idea, despite all the problems the first time around. Rocksteady aren’t indies. You’re not supporting the little guy here. They get their salaries regardless*.

*nothing is certain in the games industry… but still.

• BatmanBaggins says:

They may get their salaries regardless, but if everyone boycotts their game, the publisher is going to drop them the next time around on account of lack of sales. It’s not like the developers live in a vacuum, even if the publisher sees most of the front-end.

11. Navagon says:

After my experiences with the first game thanks to GFWL I actually won’t be getting this one now. Such was the extent to which GFWL trashed my experience with the first game that I’d have to be some sort of masochist to actually wilfully bring that upon myself again.

12. ASBO says:

Another preorder cancelled. Yeehaw!

13. foda500orama says:

Just cancelled my pre-order *sigh*

14. Eynonz says:

GFWL is still going? ……

15. BatmanBaggins says:

You guys are so dramatic sometimes.

Yeah, GFWL sucks pretty bad, but it’s nothing I can’t deal with. If Arkham Asylum was any indication of how good this game will be (and it’s looking like Arkham City will be even better), then I’m willing to put up with it to support such a good developer.

And to be pretty frank, GFWL has pretty much been a non-issue for me when going back to replay AA a few times. The only real beef I ever had with it was the initial awful update process.

16. Shooop says:

I haven’t had any problems from GFWL on my Arkham Asylum. Is that because I bought it off Steam perhaps?

17. Dorako says:

Hm, on one hand, I had no intention of buying this game (I’ve never played the first one though I’m sure it was amazing and I’m sure this will be amazing, it just isn’t the kind of game for me).

On the other hand, I’ve never played a GFWL game where GFWL worked without a problem (out of the four GFWL games I’ve played anyway). Halo 2 didn’t work at all after hours of updating, Red Faction: Guerilla gave me minor trouble updating, Section 8 only worked on one of my two computers and Section 8 Predjudice had a bunch of login issues.

Despite the fact that I didn’t want it, it still ticks me off that they’re still using this crap.

18. Vinraith says:

The only “good” thing about GfWL is that it’s usually pretty easy to remove, via xliveless or similar.

I don’t think it would keep me from buying this, were I not allergic to boss fights, but it’d certainly keep me from buying it at full price.

19. kud13 says:

my Steam account currently has 3 GFWL games

Batman: AA
    Bioshock 2
    Dawn of war 2: Chaos rising

i’ve recently moved my Steam installation onto a new external hard drive from my C drive

as a result:
    both Bioshock and Chaos rising simply refuse to launch–I click “play game”, and nothing happens

Batman AA gives me the launcher, but then devolves into a crash, citing a “general protection fault” and missing xlive.dlls.

long story short, I think I need to re-install all 3 games. fuck you, GFWL.

Craymen Edge says:

I’ve only played 3 games with GFWL on my PC (Arkham Assylum, Fallout 3, and Dawn of War 2).

I know it’s not the popular opinion but I never had problems with it in any of those games, so I have no issue with it being in Arkham City.

21. DarkByke says:

never had any issues with gfwl or steam, ever. why everyone bitching?