Global Agenda Remains Free, Expands

By Adam Smith on August 30th, 2011 at 10:26 am.

In April, Global Agenda expanded its free-to-play model to encompass those who had bought the game digitally. It seems that this was a very good thing for Hi-Rez Studios because the game is due to receive its largest update yet and that too shall be free. To everyone, no matter how or when they joined the game. As well as adding plenty of tweaks and new stuff, a full list of which is below, the expansion will add an entire new open zone, the Recursive Colony. According to the press release this place is controlled by a “hive-mind faction of robots constructing robots”. That’s a lot of robots. Hi-Rez say this is the biggest update in the game’s history and it suggests free-to-play is working out, attracting enough new players to remain sustainable and turning a profit. It bodes well for other upcoming attractions that hope to thrive using a similar model, not least of which is the studio’s own Tribes: Ascend. Full details of the expansion, due this autumn, await.

- New Open Zone with several instanced missions, quest chains, mid-high level content, vendors, social spaces
- New enemy bots – encountered within Open Zone as well as instanced missions
- Daily Repeatable Quests – for solo agents and teams. Some quests take place in zones, while others send teams into Recursive Colony hive nodes and ruins. These quests include new 4-man defense Raid missions – now available to smaller groups (1-4) at lower levels (20+)
- New Dyes, Flair, and Trails – rewards for winning missions, completing daily quests, rare bot drops, others given via achievements
- New Pets – new pets available as rewards and crafted items.
- New Blueprints – for consumables and mods
- Easier crafting – components now within the zone, to help with leveling crafting skills
- New High/Max/UltraMax missions entering the Spec Ops queues
- New PvP Map – Push Dust will be entering the Merc queue from Beta
- New PvP Acquisition/CTR Map – Colony Caverns will be entering the Beta Queue
- Revamped Intro Missions – Tutorials now include class-specific elements to help train new players
- Some quests now affect the state of the world (example – Brownouts in Dome City…)
- Ability to transfer between different Open Zone instances (and VR Arena)
- Open Zone cross-instance chat channels
- Disconnect to Character Select Screen without re-login
- Improved Vendor Item Previewing

A healthy amount of content, no? According to my calculations, bang per buck is incalculable due to the lack of bucks. But the number of robots is quite simply massive.

, , , .

1. Dominic White says:

It doesn’t get much love around here, but Global Agenda is a pretty neat game, actually. PC Gamer went and re-reviewed it now that it’s an F2P title and rather liked it as well. (80% liked it – I reckon you can add another 5% to that once the expansion launches).

Good that they’re doing this expansion. The game has needed a bit of an injection of co-op PvE content for a while. It is, at its heart, a competitive team shooter, but it’s nice to roll with a bunch of other players and trash armies of killer robots from time to time.

• Gnoupi says:

I agree, the gameplay is really good, and I spent a lot of hours on that.
      The PVE is nicely done, but was indeed in need of new places. But even without, it remained really tight, with always tense moments in which it’s important to have a team behaving correctly.

Personally, I never got much into the PvP, it tends to get messy a bit. But the PvE is really good.
      By which I mean SpecOps of course. The desert is a joke. It’s a game based on the dependency of the 4 classes, it plays badly in “mmo solo questing” and gets boring really fast.

It’s really a game to try, but to new players, don’t get turned off by the “solo quests”, that’s not the core of the game, and it’s likely very boring. Go to SpecOps and Mercenary once you get the chance.

(Besides, if someone wants to buy the Elite pack for Global Agenda (allowing you to have the same features as people who bought the game before the f2p, like mailing, auction house, bigger rewards), all current players have -30% coupon codes, so don’t hesitate to ask for one)

• chrisjr says:

The pvp cleans up a lot after level 30 where all pvp matches take place with players of lvl 30 and above meaning everyone knows how to play there class so it takes more teamwork. Its a lot more difficult and all around more fun for those that like a challenge.

2. jon_hill987 says:

Why are all of the F2P shooters (bar Quake Live and The Hat Simulator) all in third person?

• jon_hill987 says:

I suppose there is Battlefield Play 4 Free as well but I put that out of my mind as the community was so bad (deliberately crashing choppers if someone else gets in them, that sort of thing).

• Dominic White says:

Because 3rd person gives you a better sense of situational awareness? Especially so If there’s a heavy melee aspect, like in GA.

• jon_hill987 says:

That is what ears are for. In a 1v1 in Quake Live I can tell where my opponent is on the map by listening.

• Gnoupi says:

Also, a big aspect on jetpack mobility, so it’s quite nice to have that 3rd person view, while using it.

The game also goes to FPS when you zoom in your weapons, so it’s not an issue for targetting.

3. Roarster says:

I actually quite enjoyed the original open world content so I’ll probably have a look at this when it releases. I didn’t see that much point in the PvP stuff though, the few games I played I was completely destroyed by those with better gear; a consequence of the MMO levelling approach I guess.

• Gnoupi says:

PvP is actually separated in two categories, people under level 30, and people over 30. The biggest difference comes not really from the gear, but from the skill points. And below 30, you don’t have all skill points, and if you find yourself fighting a level 29 when you are brand new, it’s clearly not fair.

Sub-30 PvP is mostly a big mess, to keep you waiting before level 30 (if you don’t like PvE)

4. Jumwa says:

I loved the look and concept of the game, but my constant dying was a huge turn off. It’s far too tense of a game to appeal to my tastes. I need less tension in my life, not more.

5. Lobotomist says:

GA is actually pretty good game.

Only problem is lack of PVE (solo) content.

It simply ends at lvl 20 (of 40 character levels)

Which is crazy because like this you have to wait doing nothing while next PVP match becomes available.

But with PVE solo content. You could do missions and grinding. Until PVP match becomes available. Than just jump in. And after return to the game.

This new expansion is exactly what the game needed !

• Dominic White says:

The game was always meant to be primarily a competitive game. There’s standalone PvE missions up to max level, but the whole first ‘zone’ thing was only added MUCH later, to ease the MMO crowd into it. It’s a trojan horse.

• Gnoupi says:

Honestly, the PvE content is in SpecOps. The quests and the “MMORPG” zone they added work badly with this game, because you can hardly survive alone, depending on your class.

It’s not meant to be played solo, in my opinion, the real content is in “missions”

6. Frye2k11 says:

GA is a fine game. The advantages from good gear / leveling are not all that huge, you really do stand a chance at level 30 vs level 50′s in top gear. I like how the game plays, very solid. New content is badly needed though and the healer class needs a rethink; they are first target in pvp yet their main heal only works on others.

• Gnoupi says:

That’s mostly the point of the healer class, I’d say.

But besides, I agree. You get skill points up to level 30, and the difference after between the affordable and and the “max” equipments is quite small. It all depends on your team (which, if you play Merc, is usually meant to be bad :P)

• Dominic White says:

The healers in GA are ridiculously powerful, too – an Assault player with a medic backing him up is utterly invincible unless 2-3 players focus fire on him.

• chrisjr says:

1) As a healer in GA there a couple things you got wrong. The healers main gun of choice is a bio feed back gun which if you got skill points staked in healing does great at helping to keep the medic up or if you use the nanite guns they allow you to heal with out being right in the middle of the danger, also healers have one dedicated skill to healing them selves which heals enough to keep them alive if there taking enough damage to kill them, as well as being the only class with passive regeneration and there healing nade if used well heals them up with the team as well .
      2) Healers are not ridiculously powerful take the 2 seconds for every one to focus fire on the healer makes the healer have to pull back to heal leaving you with an assault to kill, also recons, drone robos and poison medics all can make a medic have a very very bad day.

7. Farkeman says:

The combat is still a bit off …

• aethereal says:

This. The game isnt bad, but for me the combat just doesn’t feel quite right. Maybe its too floaty, maybe that it feels too slow paced… I cant quite put my finger on it, but it doesnt feel like a proper FPS (or even 3PS)

• Dominic White says:

It is slow paced, and the kill-rate is lower than most other shooters.

This is exactly why I like it. Firefights can go on for ages if both sides are well entrenched. If you see things going badly, it’s very easy to bug out and escape to try again later. It’s very tactical and teamwork-oriented, and you will almost never get ridiculous situations like in a Counter-Strike match where one player kills the entire enemy team by himself in a series of lucky/hyper-twitchy reaction shots.

It’s a bit more of a numbers game than most things in the genre. And a LOT more of a team game.

• Gnoupi says:

It’s really a team based game. You can hardly make solo hero efforts and wipe an entire team by yourself.

8. mondomau says:

I got it in a sale last year. Installed it, played for a few hours, deleted it.

I liked the core idea but it was horrifically grind-orientated. I don’t mind a little bit of repetition, but it seemed you had to run through the same level dozens of times before you progressed even a tiny bit and it generally felt really ‘empty’. I appreciate a lot of these games get a lot better once you’ve leveled up a bit, but I just didn’t have the patience for the kind of mindless busywork it involved.

Having said all that, this was a year – 18 months ago. Maybe it’s changed?

• Dominic White says:

It’s no more ‘grindy’ than Team Fortress 2. If you’re playing it to progress and gain levels, then you’re missing the point. Play it to play it.

9. DrEvilbones says:

I bought this game on a steam sale a bit before it went totally F2P. I really want to like GA. I download it again every time they come out with a new patch, get bored and frustrated with the solo content super fast, try to jump into the PvE missions but get bored with the same cave-with-guy-on-platforms-at-the-end level over and over, I get frustrated by team members in both PvE and P that lack basic teamwork skills and ignore chat unless it’s to tell me that I’m doing everything wrong, I wonder why I’m not just playing Team Fortress 2 when I’m in the PvP missions, and I get daunted by looking through the crafting list and realizing my giant inventory of crap is nearly worthless for the stuff I want to make and I have hours and hours of playtime ahead of me just to get an incrementally better heal gun. Then I delete the game from my drive and repeat 3 months later.

10. Shooop says:

It’s not a bad game, but I think Borderlands set my expectations for FPS/RPG mashups way too high.