The Binding of Isaac Trailer Is Adorable

By Adam Smith on August 30th, 2011 at 9:54 am.

Traditionally, I enjoy my breakfast while listening to Ravel and watching the labouring classes hurrying back and forth in the street below. That all changed today. I nearly choked on my toasted muffin as my brain attempted to process the contents of The Binding of Isaac trailer. I had assumed Edmund McMillen’s latest would be an inspiring and moving parable relating to the limits of blind faith and infanticide. Turns out I was wrong. It’s actually about a terrifying Man-Baby refugee from an Aphex Twin video going bonkers in a dark room. I should have known. John talked about the game here and there’s no fresh information to digest along with the trailer. But if you can digest the contents of the trailer itself, you have a steelier stomach than I. All this madness can be yours sometime in September through Steam.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Okami says:

I’m no native speaker, but I’m pretty sure that ‘adorable’ isn’t really the word you’d use to describe this trailer…

2. ChainsawCharlie says:

Cool trailer and music, but that gameplay doesn’t look too interesting.
    Smash TV was great. 20 years ago.

• Juan Carlo says:

Those were my thoughts exactly.

Awesome trailer. Awesome music. Cute art design. But the game play itself doesn’t look all that enticing.

I never really liked smash TV. The only reason to play it was for its 2 player mode (which was more fun), so if BoI doesn’t support Co-OP it’ll be way less fun.

• d32 says:

And the trailer didn’t even feature the Mutoidman!

• chargen says:

This… looks nothing like Smash TV, any more than it looks like Ikari Warriors.

• neems says:

Smash TV was a twin stick arena shooter a la Robotron, or for the kiddies among us, Geometry Wars. And it was the first thing I thought of when I saw this in action.

You’re right that it looks nothing like Ikari Warriors though.

3. Cerzi says:

Surely this is based on chris cunningham’s rubber johnny, not come to daddy?

(still aphex music though)

Fatbubba says:

Bah, you beat me to it. Was just about to respond with the same.

Both are indeed done by Chris Cunningham with music from Aphex Twin

• Adam Smith says:

Very true. Rubber Johnny makes my mind flinch so I avoided directly linking it. All Cunningham videos are greatly appreciated though, especially a HD version of Come On My Selector.

heretic says:

Come On My Selector is awessssooooommmeee

Fatbubba says:

Yup, it’s all on the DVD “The Work of Director Chris Cunningham”. Sadly it was quite pricey, but if you love his stuff, you might find it worth it.

Edit: Errr…except for “Rubber Johnny” and “Sheena is a parasite”. Those came after the DVD.

4. Chauvigny says:

Was zum….

5. Danny says:

Well, that was disturbing. Now I fear falling asleep at work in case I have terrifying dreams. Thank you RPS!

6. Dominic White says:

I’d just like to mention that this is part Classic Zelda, part Roguelike (one life, randomly generated levels, random bosses, enemies, loot, etc), part Smash TV. At least, that’s how the developers describe it.

One thing I like the sound of is that there’s over 20 possible bosses, each of which has several variants in terms of stats and abilities, but you only see 6 of them in any given playthrough.

Hodge says:

This trailer makes it look more Zelda-ish than anything else – the only thing Smash TV-ish about it is the (presumably) twin-stick control method.

It’s how well the Rogue-ish stuff works that will make or break it, though. Am quietly optimistic about this one.

7. Lobotomist says:

As much love i have for team meat and their work.

I dont think art style fits the game,

And the trailer actually did opposite to me than it was intended…
    I was sure i am going to get the game, now i have big doubts….

Rinox says:

Lunch ruined by fetus horror.

9. Shadrach says:

As much as I adore the artwork of this and also SMB, I think I’ve come to realize these games are not meant for me. Alas, I am no masochist, or maybe I am just getting old and slow…

10. CMaster says:

Spam filter?
    Why do you hate the words A R T S T Y L E/ D I R E C T I O N (I couldn’t post in the DXHR Verdict because of this either)

The above unmentioned words for this game seem to be basically a less gross version of the old badlands stuff he did. Not inlining this link in a hope to please spam filter http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/thebadlands

11. PanzerVaughn says:

PUT IT IN MY EYES.

Then let me wander around in the dark trying to devour people with it sticking out of my face while i go BOOGEYBOOGEYBLAR!

Jackablade says:

That’s not a reply you lummox.

Daiv says:

So, do we send the therapy bill to RPS or Team Meat?

14. kyledoesntknow says:

SCP-173, is that you?

Craymen Edge says:

I don’t know. That looks kind of boring.

Whatever happened to No Quarter?

16. NekroJakub says:

Ah, so these are my nightmares for tonight.