There’s Also Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2

By Jim Rossignol on August 31st, 2011 at 11:32 am.

Sniper? Or armed vagrant guy?
A profound lack of sleep has left me with a unique super-power: to be impressed and moved by anything at all. I was welling up just watching these five minutes of Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 footage. Those poor bullets! Fired off into people’s icky headbits without a second thought. Separated from their cartridge buddies forever. Awful.

This footage is actually a bit old, being from GamesCom, but I missed it last week, to the annoyance of readers who sent it in. Sorry, Annoyed Men! Love you! The CryEngine-powered manshooter is out in Q1 of next year, which seems to be a true of a lot of games currently in development.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Rossi says:

Eww. Xboxen :(

2. John P says:

Press A To Be Awesome

3. Calneon says:

Looks like they’re trying hard to copy the Chernobyl mission from CoD4.

It also looks like the epitome of ‘go here do that’ shooters, you’d have thought with a game that focuses on sniping they’d have given you different options like Hitman or Deus Ex. Currently it just looks like CoD where you only have a sniper rifle.

• NathaI3 says:

My thoughts exactly. Maybe this is just a training mission and the hand-holding stops hereafter?

• chrisjr says:

Nope if this game is anything like the first the hand holding will rarely stop and in those places you normally just high up and its like shooting fish in a barrel (at least with bullet physics). My two main problems with the first was the utter and complete linearity and the fact that the range they made you fight at felt more like a mid or close combat spec ops game with a sniper rifle than a sniper game.

• Sweedums says:

I just find it funny how he’s like… “We gotta keep the body count to a minimum… oh look a guy, take his head off!… two more guys, lets stab them!”

Since when did keeping the bodycount to a minimum mean killing every bloody enemy in the level?

4. Forceflow says:

The guy talking to you sounds way too close – it sounds like he’s in your head. Or is he? :)

5. CaspianRoach says:

A SNIPING game on Xbox? Really? With its horrendous gamepad controls? Are you kidding me? What has the world come to…
    Apart from very slow “sprint” and low-quality player hands animations in cutscenes I have nothing bad to say about this game. Looks positively awesome, it reminds me a lot about Chernobyl mission from COD:MW.

6. herschel says:

This narrative in-ear radio-com chatter is just too stupid.

• sneetch says:

Yeah, that first bit sounded like “Slibbity nobble needs us to wabbilty wabble the slurgildy poop, we’re on a soft bloobity booble so that means no wobbity blarb.” I’m all for military speak but the objective there seems to be cramming as much of it as possible into a sentence.

• Turbinator says:

sneetch, that’s awesome. Made me laugh.

7. RiptoR says:

Looks like they still have a lot of polishing to do. For example the sleeves of the main character disappear in the ingame cutscenes, the weapon is probably a placeholder (looks almost exactly like the one from Crysis 2 if I remember correctly) and the helicopter blades clip through the ground when it crashes (minor detail, but it looked weird imo).

I did enjoy the first game though the last missions we’re a bit too focused on action instead of sneaking. I hope they don’t make the same mistake in this sequel.

Not a “day one buy”, but I’ll definitely check this one out when there’s a sale on steam.

• cvdf3 says:

@RiptoR actually the gun is the Remington MSR go to remingtonmilitary.com, the only other game I’ve heard of it in is mw3

8. diebroken says:

Did that enemy soldier just stand there and watch his buddy get knifed in the back? o_O

• herschel says:

What would you do if your buddy just got knifed in the back? Do the macarena?

Seriously… bad timing in the script I would say.

• Turbinator says:

No it’s not bad timing. What it is, is the CoD syndrome, the game completely stops until you push the “Press A to be awesome” button. You could do nothing for a day, and the game would just wait there.

9. coldvvvave says:

Why are there no other games based on CryEngine? I mean, first thought is that it’s expensive, but come on, if City Interactive( Polish developer/publisher known for pumping out 4-5 terrible FPS’s per year) can afford it, surely some other devs can.

• diebroken says:

City Interactive uses a version of the Jupiter EX engine a lot in most their FPSs (a guilty pleasure, playing those games), have they now switched to the CryEngine 1? CryEngine 3 for the next Sniper game.

10. Nallen says:

Do you actually do anything; adjust the scope, take measurements, have a spotter or anything like that. Or is it a point and click adventure? (disclaimer, no sound at work).

• Wilson says:

Yeah, there is potential in the idea of a sniper game, but you need stuff like what you’ve suggested or it’s pretty much just going to be another shooter (disclaimer, I haven’t actually watched the trailer, instead choosing to assume it doesn’t have any of that stuff – I’m a bad person).

• Calneon says:

The trailer basically consists of your buddy telling you to kill somebody, you pulling up your scope, triggering slow motion, and shooting.

11. Khemm says:

For a game with “SNIPER” in the title, this game has barely anything in common with replicating the experience of being an actual sniper. I would imagine something like Hitman, Thief… Open maps giving you lots of possibilities to sneak by, find the best spot to dispose of your primary target and so on.

This is a CoD clone. Linear, scripted, on rails. Boring.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Wouldn’t a sniping game, be more like ArmA? ie. super long ranges of ~2km or somesuch sillyness?
      But I do agree in the sense that people are copying CoD’s style, more than Hitman >.> I want another hitman game damnit!

• Khemm says:

@Tiki
      Yes, a bit of Operation Flashpoint, ArmA vibe could work well. Hell, Sniper could be an awesome mix of many ideas from many games. But nooo, it’s easier to create a lame on rails shooter.

12. larve1 says:

I really don’t understand why running on stairs animation is not standard in games these days. It seems like such a small thing to do? It just looks really weird the way the guy in the video does it.

13. Ernesto says:

Looks like another on-rails shooter that tries to imitate Hollywood action movies… Goodbye, interesting plot and hello, excessive scripting sequences ;)

• Similar says:

yeah, the first game, at least as much of it as I had patience for, was like that.
      I especially liked the first mission (I think it was) where you’re sent out to kill a bad guy. Bad guy shows up and I can see him through the window of the shack he’s in, so I shoot him, and clearly hit him in the head, with slow-mo sequence and all, but as it turns out, I wasn’t supposed to do that, so he doesn’t die and the game just moves on to the next point in the script which is where you get to chase him because you, in your incompetence, failed to kill him earlier (this also involves a lot of not-very-snipery action when you’re forced to run through a compound full of enemy soldiers).

I was not very impressed.

• thjdm says:

The first Sniper Ghost was actually a real game with freedom and all and not some on-ralis quasi-movie-game thingy (like the CoDs). Well for the most part it was because there were few on rails missions.

The problem with SGW is that they tried to inject a movie story (precisely B-movie story) in a game. They didn’t succeed much in that. Some called it shit. I was glad that happened because that left some gaminess in the game.

• mejoff says:

I’ve not encountered this ‘first sniper ghost’ game, and googling even with -warrior only brings up references to Sniper ghost warrior.

Can you link me to something? Your comment makes it sound like something I’d like a look at.

• Dervish says:

There’s a 2007 game called Sniper: Art of Victory by the same developer; maybe that’s it?

14. sneetch says:

Given the hoarseness/gruffness of their voices the poor dears must have been out in the cold all night! Someone should knit them scarves! C’mon gamers, let’s do our part!

15. Joe Duck says:

Scripting, lots and lots of scripting. Meh.

16. Corrupt_Tiki says:

wince that was painful.

17. Zarunil says:

This looks like it’s on rails, almost entirely scripted and utterly boring. However, I’m sure it will be a financial success. Sniper 1 was shite and still sold well. I blame the power of advertising.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

I only know one person who actually bought this, and by no means does he represent the majority of people who will by this game, but basically he bought it, and loves it. – He wouldn’t know a great game if his mom beat him over the head with one.

He won’t even look at a game if it hasn’t got shooting in it, (“magic-pah that’s for gays.”) eugh, I feel like a heathen for building his computer for him.

18. Dervish says:

Separated from their cartridge buddies forever.

Wait, so are the cartridge buddies the ones still in the magazine? Or do you mean the bullets are separated from their case buddies when fired? You see, that’s the kind of technical nitpicking I expect to see in a comment section on a game like this!

Seriously though, dear lord did they cram this one full of cliches. And I say this as someone who gets a modicum of enjoyment from the COD games. The environment here certainly looked nice, though.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

I enjoyed the first three hundred or so in the series, these last hundred have been appalling though.

Bring on BF3! eugh, and origin. oh well. progress

19. Mr Fossy says:

“We go in soft… Keep the body count to a minimum.”

“D’okay!”

Bang! *whish* SPLAT BRAINS SPLAT! *Shink* KNIFEY stab STAB!! *bloodbloodgush!* “Argh!” Noooo! BANG BAM!

What an amazing game!

20. Radiant says:

That level looked really nice.

Although “lets split up I’ll draw their fire” followed by running in the same direction you are supposed to go in is a bit awkward.
    And how did that gunship know you were there?

Granted it’s not as narratively disconnected as the Assassins Creed trailer but it’s getting there.

21. liquidsoap89 says:

They’ve somehow managed to cram everything that I don’t like in shooters in to a game that could be fantastic… Well done! At least it only took me about a minute to decide I don’t want anything to do with this game.

22. Casimir Effect says:

…because the helicopter fights didn’t totally entirely fully and completely suck in Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 and Alpha Protocol. And Mass Effect 2. And Soldier of Fortune 2.
    Can they please be consigned to the trashcan of the gaming industry? Preferably along with Random Encounter systems.

23. Rich Tea says:

Pretty sure I played the previous installment of this game on the Xbox, which was terrible. Odd that a follow up has been commissioned. Perhaps the enemies wont pick you out from miles away this time.

24. Nemon says:

Nice statue tits.

25. DevilSShadoW says:

why does an absolutely generic game with an absolutely generic plot and beyond generic mechanics deserve a sequel? Did it really make that much money? Unless the initial investment in the first one was marginal (read non-existing).

26. yurusei says:

He mentions that bodycount is to be kept at a minimum, then proceeds to kill every single soldier they meet?

It’s no wonder the US military is the best in the world today.

27. Shooop says:

It looks like it plays itself for you. It’s got more cutscenes than a Metal Gear Solid game.

28. Farcelet says:

“This footage is actually a bit old, being from GamesCom, but I missed it last week, to the annoyance of readers who sent it in.”

Am I the only one wondering exactly who are these readers and what possible annoyance they could find in a lack of Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 coverage?

29. WJonathan says:

How many XP before I can buy that cool suit of Yeti armor?

30. Shadowcat says:

Jim: There is no “armed vagrant guy” in this post-”Hobo With A Shotgun” world that we live in!

Comment on this story