Uh-Oh: Iron Helmet Announce Jupiter’s Folly

By Jim Rossignol on August 31st, 2011 at 12:08 pm.

Folly indeed, sitting-at-home fans!
Iron Helmet (they of superb multiplayer web-strategies Neptune’s Pride and Blight Of The Immortals) send word that they have a new game out! It’s called Jupiter’s Folly, and well, I’ll let Jay explain: “It’s kind of like Neptune’s Pride and kind of like Blight of the Immortals but to make things a bit different we’ve added some card game mechanics. Everything you can do in the game is represented by a card. If you want more troops you play a card, if you want to call in an orbital strike, that’s a card too. The object of the game is to be the first to mine 5000 tons of “Crystal”. It’s a race. You build mines around the map and then have to protect them from the other players.”

You can already sign up and play. Go! Go! Go! Oh my God. We’re in real danger of it happening again, aren’t we? Video below!

, , .

1. JackShandy says:

Fuck yeah! I love these guys.

• imirk says:

mmmmm, hexes, Iron Helmet, cards, I am powerless..

ALSO PSA: there is a single player tutorial. rock.

2. Koojav says:

Build. Upgrade to level X. Produce Y of Z-type units.

I really doubt that it has anything to do with a boardgame. For starters: it lacks a board.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Quickly, to the pendant-mobile!

• Koojav says:

I sincerely have no idea what a pendant-mobile is or even might be, but I assume you’re mocking me Jim.

How could you?

• Bilbo says:

It’s a car that swings from left to right wildly. IE my suzuki swift.

• Stitched says:

Don’t leave us, hanging, man. Explain yourself!

• wryterra says:

It has a board the same way ‘shooters’ have shooting and ‘driving games’ have driving. As a video game, it’s understood that it contains digital representations of things, not things themselves.

Or did you think a city building game involved actual city-building?

AndrewC says:

MAYBE HE DOES

• ArtyFishal says:

I’m going to go ahead and assume that Jim meant “Pedant- Mobile,” and with that spelling he’s right.

• Bilbo says:

What a cognitive leap. I’m sure none of us came to the same conclusion. Tell me honestly, are you a chess grandmaster or a rocket scientist? Or some sort of… chess scientist?

• Bilbo says:

Better yet, a rocket grandmaster!

• Koojav says:

@wryterra, no I did not think that. But you managed to convince me to your point of view by showing me that ‘online dick’ involves a lot of real dick. Thanks for that

• Kieron Gillen says:

Every time I think I understand how far a genre-elitist can go, one manages to push it even further. I’m genuinely amazed.

KG

Daiv says:

Shouldn’t that be correctly called Pedantmobile? As in Batmobile.

Atomic batteries to grammar, turbines to spelling!

3. McDan says:

WOOHOO! I love neptunes pride, we should totally get some RPS games of this going as well now. And another diary of the game should be made as well, the first was excellent

4. Jorum says:

Holy crap! I forgot that Blight of the Immortals went live in January.
    I blame RPS for not making a bigger fuss at the time :)

Off to the internets to sign-up (for BoI and this new one).

• K. says:

Same here, thanks for the reminder.

…I liked the unintentional beta for Blight, and wanted to return after they did some balancing fixes. Then it got swamped under other releases.

5. BigglesB says:

I am staying the HELL away from this one! NP knocked out weeks of productivity, can’t risk that sort of thing happening again these days…

• abremms says:

This. I spent almost a whole month in one game, things got so intense by the end when there were just three of us left. Constant political wrangling and backstabbing, and setting my alam to coincide with fleet movements… I did not received the recomended allotment of sleep for healthy living that month. The important thing, however, is that I won. :D

… why did I want to stay away from the game again?

6. busfahrer says:

That font might be a bit too close to the Star Wars font for them not to get sued…

7. Richie Shoemaker says:

Loving the trailer music.

8. Heliocentric says:

How long do matches take? Days, weeks? How often do you have to check up on it to not get screwed, do out of game politics have massive dominance?

9. Koojav says:

- reply fail -

10. killerkerara says:

Unfortunately, I can’t play it because it uses Google accounts. My Youtube is on an old Google account that I never use. If I want to get to get the daily updates from the game, I would have to use my new Google account, which automatically logs me out of Youtube! If I try logging back into Youtube, the game crashes! Wonderful.

• nuh uh no way says:

really now, how is this their fault? you should consider reconciling your multiple google accounts. also, are you aware that google allows multiple accounts signed in at once?

• Josh W says:

Also, I have a feeling that you can set up multiple accounts on firefox too, so that you can have two windows running simultaniously with different user settings.

In Ie, just use the privacy mode window to log in to the other account.

• Ovno says:

Or just log out of you tube and then play it, as you can still watch everything but the sexual explicit stuff without logging in…

JB says:

I like the fact that you can borrow tech. An unusual option.

12. JFS says:

Oh no oh no please no! o_O
    Blight of the Immortals is a terrible time-sucker, just as Realm of the Mad God. Oh no.

13. barichnikov says:

I played Blight for 5 months, non-stop. I was obsessed, always watching my games go and making awesome meetings with co-workers about it. Strategies, line of defense, overall day-to-day reactions.

This game owned my life for 5 months, and I’m glad it did. I feel comforted when I look at blight screenshots. It’s like watching pictures of a loving ex with whom you broke up amiably, with everybody happy.

I will play Jupiter’s Folly, and I will love it.

14. Saxocat says:

Already leaving myself notes to check my units in 7 hours time. It begins.

shoptroll says:

Will have to give this a shot. Neptune’s Pride didn’t grab me that much. The art was pretty but everything was woefully generic when I was expecting something more akin to Civ or Alpha Centauri. It’s not exciting to think about “Weapons: 5″ instead of “Laser Death Ray of Doom” as my current research project.

However, slapping down a card game into the mix? I’m there. I love me some card art, especially if this is scratching a sci-fi trope itch like Race for the Galaxy.

EDIT: If they’re using Google for authentication… how soon until we get Iron Helmet games in Google+? Their freemium model seems ripe for it.

16. Strange_guy says:

Completed the single-player and it’s good, I’ve liked all the Iron Helmet games and adding cards just makes them better, as I’ve always been a fan of card games but have been put off them and many video games based on them by annoying business models. Still as I was playing I couldn’t help thinking how often I need to play to keep up when playing the real thing, so unfortunately I don’t think I’ll end up playing a lot of it.

Edit: Also all the avatars I liked were premium. As I probably won’t play enough to justify premium, but will play a little more that’s annoying.

17. Jorum says:

Just started a multiplayer game. Is looking fun. And the fact that it a “race” means games can’t get stuck in endless statemates and pace keeps up.

Most annoying thing so far is I have two awesome awesome cards but they are “loan only” meaning I can’t actually use them myself !

Daiv says:

Interesting concept. I shall steep mine enemies in their own blood for the glory of RPS.

thesundaybest says:

Nothing would make me happier than another RPS group game session, unfolded in all its glory on these here pages. Oh, the betrayal.

20. Homercleese says:

No no NO! I can’t. I WON’T ‘play’ this. *Play*. Like it was even a choice with Neptune’s Pride. That game nearly destroyed me!

I will however, read about other people’s suffering.

21. Vandalbarg says:

Holy crap, fuck Alien Nests. They get extra experience just for spawning more aliens (which they do early and often), and each of their spawn has that extra level. Extra level = extra rolls. So a level 4 alien swarm can take on a force many times its size.

Whelp, they got the scary alien down.

Enjoying this a lot.

shoptroll says:

My current game started me within a short distance of a nest. It’s pretty depressing starting off with a handful of 12 strength squads and seeing a 201 strength nest about 4 nodes away.

shoptroll says:

Played through a single player tutorial and started my first game. So far, this game has its hooks in deeper than Pride ever did. I think having a game that can be played solo to start is a huge improvement over Pride. I was definitely overwhelmed in my first game of Pride and stopped paying attention after a couple of days.

I also like how each game starts differently with your opening hand being randomized. Reminds me a lot of Race for the Galaxy and that’s a big plus in my book. Also, the common threat of the bugs reminds me of the mindworms from Alpha Centauri from some reason.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say this is probably the closest thing we’ve got to a Facebook game for the “core” audience. And that’s not a bad thing. Hear me out:

* There’s a massive incentive to check back every day aside from ordering your minions around. For starters, minerals don’t harvest themselves. Second thing, every 24 hours you get more money and a choice of 2 or 3 cards. Whereas Pride felt closer to something like Trade Wars (or a intergalactic web-based varient I played in college that a friend wrote) in that everything happened in a continuous stream of events. Folly has discrete phases so it moves with a much more deliberate cadence.

* I never played Blight, but there’s a much stronger encouragement to pay up for this game. Getting a 3rd card option every 24 hours isn’t exactly a “must have” but it’s certainly a nice perk. I haven’t paid for a premium account, but they’re definitely trying to steer people that way unlike Pride. However, it’s not nearly as bad as say Dragon Age Legends.

* It’s a social game without being a social game. There’s a fair amount of interaction options (being able to lend cards to other players is interesting… kinda 7 Wonders esque) and they seem to be fairly key to winning.

This game is a big improvement over Pride and I think it has some very strong legs. Looking forward to seeing where this goes and I hope I manage to stick with it.

23. Azrailx says:

anyone interested in trying to get a pre arranged game going?

shoptroll says:

Sign me up!

• themummra says:

I want in too! Lets get this started!

• Lykurgos says:

Even if I wanted to, I could not resist for long . . . (yes please)

• Azrailx says:

having not played their games much before i forgot that a premium account is needed to create a custom game with pw
      is anyone interested in starting a game that already has a premium account?

if enough peeps are interested maps can get as large as 10 players (u can check out custom options without paying)

• themummra says:

Should we get an email group correspondence so we can coordinate this ?

• Azrailx says:

sounds good to me

shoptroll says:

Sounds like a plan. I’m strongly considering creating a premium account for this game. If I do that I’ll just post the game name and password here for people to join.

EDIT: Game created.

Name: RPSs Folly
      Password: horacetheendlessbear

EDIT: I’m in, game is currently paused until more people show up.

• Azrailx says:

im in the game, ill pm info

• themummra says:

Im in

shoptroll says:

The game is afoot!

MonkeyMonster says:

It would be MonkeyMonsters folly to start playing that game. No internets at home and deadlines at work would not make for a condusive enjoyable game…
    It will be brilliant I have no doubt – I was emailing Jay a few times a week when playing it stupidly avidly before and wish him every luck with this again!

25. raydenuni says:

I was just looking over this and looking for any sort of review and noticed you guys hadn’t posted anything on it. Less than a week later, here we are. Any comments on how it actually plays? I got a bunch of friends to play Neptune’s Pride after reading your articles.