Zeboyd Are On the Rain-Slick Precipice

By Jim Rossignol on August 31st, 2011 at 4:53 pm.

Nothing compared to SPONG IN A POSTY
So here’s a bit of unexpected news. It comes out of leftfield for us to learn that Penny Arcade’s Penny Arcade Adventures episodes are to get a third and final episode – since it was abandoned by Hothead to work on Deathspank – but it’s even more surprising to learn that Zeboyd (they of lo-fi RPG treat Cthulhu Saves the World) are making it. Really? Apparently so. Zeboyd say: “Zeboyd Games is pleased to announce that we are currently working on Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness Episode 3. Yes, we’re serious.”

Expect something 16-bitlike, by the looks of it.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Symitri says:

So long as they tone down the frequency of random encounters, I’m anticipating this.

• Kdansky says:

I disliked the button-mashing and QTEs enough to not bother.

• Milky1985 says:

Erm teh previous games in the series didn’t have random encounters so I think Kdansky is talking about old games and Symitri is talking about zeboyds games???

All in all this is a good thing, really liked the first 2 games actually, they were good fun, was just hit in the face with a major gamebreaking bug on the second one that they fixed quick but it took MS over a month to certify the sodding patch :/

2. PanzerVaughn says:

After reading Penny Arcade Chapters on the PA site, detailing what the next part of the story would have been, i openly wept for the worlds loss.

But now we’re all delightfully doomed to a death by various elderthings, so everythings awesome again!

• nofing says:

I’m glad they found someone to do Ep. 3, but I’m not so sure about the 16-bit part. The comic book-like style was, besides the PA humor, the main thing, that made this game special.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Now, now. Let’s not kid ourselves. What truly made the games so special was the sounds the Fruit Fuckers made when you tossed them an orange.

3. Pace says:

Off topic; where’s John? Vacation? Who let John go on vacation?

• Jim Rossignol says:

He’s moving house, so has limited access to the internet. I expect he’s using the time to catch up on a backlog of exciting Ubisoft games.

• Jumwa says:

Well played, Jim Rossignol, well played indeed.

• Cinnamon says:

Real people always have an internet connection. I bet that he is really on holiday off the coast of Somalia and doesn’t want anyone to know.

• Dao Jones says:

I was wondering why I saw so many Jim posts. Jim posts mess with me since they usually don’t have those hover over text thingermabobs and I think my internet is broken and I begin to weep.

:’(

• Jim Rossignol says:

I’m sorry, I will retrospectively add alt texts to this entire week.

• Shodex says:

What if.. oh no.. what if John is not a real person? And is in fact a robot sent from mars to deliver on to us gaming news, how diabolical!

• Dao Jones says:

Don’t be sorry! Though, the first alt-text I read was the Wizardry one and it made me giggle.

Then I saw who the author was. I am still dancing. :)

4. fearghaill says:

That actually makes a lot of sense as the guys at Zeboyd are active members of the PA forums. This is the second time this summer I’ve heard of the PA guys hiring talent from within their forum community for game projects – the first being hiring artists for a Paint The Line card game.

5. Tei says:

Gabe confirms Episode 3.

6. sbs says:

Fuck yeah. Hopefully they will be implementing some of the gameplay mechanics from the hothead games, i loved how those games played.
    Exciting!

7. Lobotomist says:

Perfect !

8. kwyjibo says:

I hope they try something new, and not the dull japan-o-rpg crap they coasted with in the first two episodes.

• dehumanized says:

Zeboyd’s last two games (Breath of Death VII and Cthulu Saves The World) were firmly in the realm of Dragon Quest homage… I would expect heavy JRPG elements in this, though they’ve been saying on the forums that their next project after CSTW would be something of a departure from what they’ve done before.

• shoptroll says:

The combat in the demo of rain-slick was fairly JRPG-esque, so I doubt this will be anything but JRPG style.

9. shoptroll says:

Awesome.

10. Eightball says:

CSTW wasn’t my cup of tea, but I’m happy we’re getting some closure for OTRSPOD. They were great.

• johnpeat says:

I’m with eightball, I found BoD and CSTW got a bit repetive and had a difficulty curve all-over-the-damned-place, but I cannot think of a better match of ‘game which needs to be made’ and ‘developer who’s ideal to make it’ :)

but please GOD put a bloody map in it – it’s 2011, I’m not drawing one by hand, nor do I want to get lost a dungeon which is made up of 4 tiles and is full of random encounters!!

• Saul says:

OTRSPOD GDAMNED BDFOD YARGH GRDT MLRKK!

11. c-Row says:

Anyone else thinks that the PA comics have lost their bite lately? It’s been a long time since the last truly great comic strip.

- “Select your pistol, and then select your horse.”
    - “It’s raining in Shanghai…”
    - etc.

• Alegis says:

Yep. And their latest project The Trenches (with Scott from PvP) isn’t really grabbing me either (http://trenchescomic.com/).

Although I suppose the latter is more of a “Ha! I recognize that! Nice to see it expressed in art form” kind of comic.

• alice says:

Yeah I think they have been phoning it in for a while. What confounds me is that I saw them at a few panels at PAX this past weekend and they are still just as funny in conversation so i am not sure what is going on.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Coming up with ideas can be hard. Sometimes it’s hard to really express a humorous idea in a 3 panel comic. There’s dry spells. It happens. Hell, Gary Larson had some duds in there, yet I still think The Far Side is one of the best comic strips of all time.