Rings Around The World: DCUO DLC

By Adam Smith on September 2nd, 2011 at 11:03 am.

Giant boots and gloves are the mark of a man
This week, DC began rebuilding their entire fictional universe from the ground up. Every title in the range has rebooted to issue number one, severing the future from decades of convoluted and conflicting continuity. I give them twelve months before this ‘new’ universe has split into fifteen multiverses filled with amnesiac clones of every major character whose only differentiating feature will be inverted costume colours or a small beard. Meanwhile, nobody seems to have told SOE who are still expanding the old universe in DC Universe Online. The latest expansion, out for free on September 6th, adds the Green Lantern Corps to the game, along with the Light power set. Players can also join up with the Sinestro Corps if they are villainous sorts. Being evil means you’ll have a magical yellow chainsaw, as seen in the trailer below.

The official website specifies a US release but company representatives on the forums have stated that subscribers in the EU and UK will receive the update as well at around the same time. I believe the only reason it’s not locked down for the 6th is because they’ll be updating US servers first. I must admit a fondness for all this silliness so I’ll be giving it a look. Adding the Lanterns does further highlight the limitation of having all these characters duking it out on Earth though. Give us the stars! In fact, now that I think about it, a Green Lantern Corps MMORPG might have been a better proposition from the start, although the mythology is much less iconic. And they wouldn’t have been able to use Batman in all the marketing material.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Baka says:

If this game had content and support from the get-go, it could have been great.
    I guess it’s still bringing in a small profit, having DLC after so many questionable decisions? Everyone I know abandoned it a long time ago.

Regarding the reboot, which stories should an interested fella pick up? Is there some kind of overview, preferably with recommendations? This should be the perfect time to check out all this comic universe shabang.

• Fomorian1988 says:

Not currently, but Lewis “Linkara” Lovhaug (blog here: atopfourthwall.blogspot.com) and Brian “Last Angry Geek” Heinz (blip account here: http://blip.tv/comic-book-issues) are going to read the new issues and give their thoughts on them. All we gotta do is wait.

EDIT: Huh. Seems Linkara HAS started the look with the new “Justice League” in the new That’s All I’m Saying series.

• Adam Smith says:

JLA, which is the first of the ‘new 52′ to come out, is an origin story, set 5 years (I think) before the ‘present’ of the new universe. See how convoluted it is already? And they’ve only released one issue.

It should be the perfect entry point, since it’s where all the major characters intersect, but I’d be tempted to wait it out and pick up trade paperbacks with full stories in. See how much crossover there is between titles.

• Kdansky says:

Can’t they tell a new story from time to time? I’ve seen Spider Man’s origin story a bajillion times by now.

• smi1ey says:

Huh? I played the game since launch. I’ve never not had anything to do. I still have over 100 feats (achievements) to attain, tons of collections to finish, and plenty of style sets to complete. The key to DCUO is joining up with a good league (guild). It doesn’t take long to get to 30, but that’s where all the real content unlocks, and where you start busting out raids, alerts, and duos. Whenever I feel like the PvE content is getting dry, I’ll hop on over to PvP, which is a lot of fun now. Obviously it doesn’t have as much content as WoW, but that’s because it hasn’t been out for 6 years. I think a lot of people forget that WoW was a new MMO at one point too. It was riddled with bugs, and didn’t have tons of content like it does now.

I do agree that SOE has nowhere near delivered on their promise to provide new content on a monthly basis, though. That has definitely been disappointing. I’m really happy they decided to release for free.

• Windup bear says:

@ Baka
      Check out TOR.com. Recently they have been covering the DC reboot with daily articles about each hero’s comic. They also include whether to get it at the time of release, wait for it, or skip it.
      Hope that helps.

Mungrul says:

I bought a lifetime membership for this, but I haven’t played it for 3 months now.

I got fed up with the devs breaking promises of regular content updates (although maybe one update per month was being a tad unrealistic in retrospect), but mostly it was the standard pandering to the hardcore vocal MMO crowd that annoyed me the most.

This game had the potential to break from the norm, and indeed, the journey from level 1 to 30 is a breath of fresh air, with quite possibly the best melee system I’ve experienced in an MMO (indeed, it shows up AoC for the ridiculous shite it is in this regard); yet you get to top level and the game suddenly devolves into the oh-so-tired Tank/Healer/DPS Holy Trinity Raid grind for equipment that infests the vast majority of MMOs thanks to WoW.
    Let alone which, that wonderful melee system all of a sudden becomes redundant, and the only viable builds for raiding are those that use ranged weapons.

In a game based on a universe where the primary mode of combat is and always has been fisticuffs, this is just a cardinal sin.

So I may take a look at this new content, but I doubt very much it’ll draw me back in, and I suspect this game really doesn’t have much life left in it.

On the bright side, my sojourns into this and AoC have made me appreciate just how incredibly polished and balanced the original Guild Wars is, and how much it breaks the mold by leveling the playing field and making top level equipment readily available to everyone, with the grind being reserved for vanity gear.

3. mjig says:

I’ve been somewhat interested in DCUO from the start, even with the criticism, but there’s absolutely no way I’m ever going to buy an MMO without a trial.

It’s weird that they still haven’t added one considering that the game is supposedly a ghost town now.

Mungrul says:

Yeah, the community have been crying out for trial licenses. Interestingly, they did dish some out, but idiotically, only to Collector’s Edition purchases.

4. mktlin says: