See Warhammer: Space Marine’s War Hammer

By Lewie Procter on September 2nd, 2011 at 10:50 am.

Stop!
Relic’s manly man-killing simulator – Space Marine – is but a week away from unleashing it’s own brand of intense violence, blood and gore upon the world, and THQ have sent us another video to herald it’s arrival. Here we get to see the “Thunder Hammer” turning orcs into clouds of red mist. Delightful.

Did you try the demo yet? If you liked it, head here to see a carousel of all the different retailers THQ has given exclusive content to, so you can pick which “bonus content” you want to miss out on.

Proper opinion on this coming once it’s been formed (in the Criticism Forges of Mars).

, , , .

1. Delusibeta says:

Mandatory MC Hammer reference goes here.

Still, looking very good. I enjoyed the demo, although I do wonder how well it’s going to stretch to a full game.

2. Bungle says:

That’s quite a hammer!

3. Baka says:

Epic Inception *DROOoooWWm* -~preordernowatgamestoptogetyourcutcontentforfree!downloaddademonao!

4. Bilbo says:

Is it a week away, though? Because I saw somewhere had listed a release date of September 20th for it, so I thought it had slipped YET AGAIN

Some confirmation of the sooner date will bring me much joy, so I thank you in advance, internet.

*also* yawn. The industry has decided it needs pre-orders, it isn’t content being stripped from your game it’s bonus content being added to preorders, stop moaning and either preorder or like me (who couldn’t give a crap about getting a golden bolter or whatever) just ignore the bonus content, it’s usually arse anyway. Granted sometimes it’s additional maps and I think that sucks, but it should be judged case-by-case – having an attitude about it isn’t really helpful, just clouds the issue

• Lewie Procter says:

Official web site is saying it’s out on the 6th (in the USA), and everywhere I can see is saying 9th for the UK.

• Bilbo says:

You’ve made my day, Lewie :) I also enjoyed “criticism forges of Mars” – you could write for black library

• nofing says:

I have no problem with pre-order bonuses, I mean it’s the least they can do, since you’re paying a lot of money for their game and probably double the price than everyone who waits just a few more weeks, but what’s really annoying is that almost every US retailer gets their own pre-order bonus, which in some cases isn’t even available in Europe. It would also be fine, if they did it like they did it with Dawn of War: Retribution. Retailer specific pre-order bonus, but there is a “collectors edition” with all of them for a few buck more.

• Bilbo says:

Yeah, there are ways of doing it and ways not to do it – it just seems like from a few people there’s this idea of “preorder bonuses are content I should be getting and am not”. The preorder version has bonus content. The non-preorder version doesn’t have punitive restrictions. It’s ridiculous to think otherwise – it’s logic that simply can’t be applied to everyday life. But hey, gamers eschewing traditional logic in favour of their own crazy insular values, lets’ talk about that

• Thants says:

I’m not clear what the distinction is between bonus content and content stripped out, exactly. And I think I’ll keep my crazy insular values of games being a singular work, rather than having them split into 100 different versions. I have enough problems being nickel-and-dimed by million confusing add-ons in real life.

5. Chris D says:

Quick thoughts:

I did enjoy the demo. Also: It’s 40K

Not a big fan of exclusive preorder bonuses. Never mind price or customer service, look at the pretty shiny things. Desperate attempt by retailers to cling to relevance without realising they’re only alienatign customers further. I wish publishers wouldn’t indulge them.

Why can’t I buy this on steam? Especially as it uses Steamworks if I’m not mistaken.

Given Steam is apparently out, where else is best to pick this up?

• jon_hill987 says:

The reason you can’t see it on Steam is because someone (Game deny it is them) have been granted, well not exclusivity as that would imply that they are the only ones to sell it, but what ever you would call it that keeps it off Steam until release day (or a few weeks after if Brink is anything to go by).

• Cyberpope says:

some sort of retail deal preventing it from being stocked on steam right away

DAMN YOU (your least favourite high street retailer here)!

itll probably turn up there eventually though. Shame really, id quite like that blood raven armour. Wonder who he stole it off

• DuckSauce says:

Uhm, what are you talking about?
      I pre-ordered it on Steam, it’s sitting waiting for a release and got free darksiders.

So what do you mean it’s not on Steam?

• Chris D says:

@Ducksauce

It’s not on Steam in the UK (just doublechecked). I guess it’s different in other regions.

• jon_hill987 says:

click on: http://store.steampowered.com/app/55150/?cc=uk

An error was encountered while processing your request:
      This item is currently unavailable in your region

@nofing: Yeah, thanks, I meant to add that.

• nofing says:

Your link leads everyone to their countries store and as far as I can tell, it’s available in almost all countries, but the UK.

6. Syra says:

Oh no RPS you missed out on the announced coop details that they dropped today!

Harlander says:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

• Syra says:

4-player objective based survival mode, 2 maps. Multiplayer classes and ranks in coop. Free DLC in October!

• Kaira- says:

I was hoping to be able to play through campaign with my friends. Better than nothing, though.

7. jon_hill987 says:

Is there any way to put an end to the malevolent practice of different retailers getting different pre-order content? In fact, is there any way to do away with any pre-order only game content altogether? It is clear it is only there to make sure their day one sales are good and in case there are bad reviews (which are often delayed until after launch as well). This practise is made even worse by the fact that games these days can’t be re-sold.

Short of the impossible persuading everyone not to buy until they have played a demo (something also lacking these days in a lot of cases, and inexcusable when games can’t be re-sold) or read a review I just don’t see what we can do.

• atticus says:

I’m with you in this one.

I hate it when I miss out on content just because I didn’t preorder or didn’t order from this or that retailer. For preordering, I wish they could just lower the price a little, i.e. “You’re ordering without fully knowing if it’s any good, so here’s a discount.” Keeping actual game content from other paying customers is just wrong in my opinion.

Since I swore to never preorder or trust a pre-release review again after DA2, I guess quite a few legendary items and special missions will pass me by. Oh well.

• Syra says:

Yep, been complaining a lot about this recently. As for space marine – luckily the only preorder exclusives that interest me (the unique chapter skins) are bundled in the uk into the GAME exclusive elite armour edition version.

The debate has even made it to industry tradenews sites ;P

• jon_hill987 says:

@Syra: That was an interesting read, glad to see I am not the only one pissed off with this.

• Sharkticon says:

What these stupid retailers/publishers don’t seem to realise is that if one were to pirate the game instead, one could easily find a pack which includes all the various bonus content.

Also, patient people can wait a few months till the GOTY/Complete Edition comes out with all the nonsense and DLC and bullshit included.

• DuckSauce says:

Edit: Reply fail, sorry D:

Well that’s lame then, at least other people can still get it though, so they shouldn’t look elsewhere imo, an extra game beats other pre-order bonuses by a mile imo.

• YohnTheViking says:

I liked CD Projekt’s solution to the problem. Let retailers have their pre-order bonuses, and two weeks after release give it all out for free in a patch. It’s a system I can see everyone being happy with.

8. mejoff says:

Every problem is beginning to look like a nail…

9. Wyrm says:

Space Marine & Free Darksiders = Win

mcnostril says:

Didn’t really care about Darksiders, and it turned out to be quite a long and entertaining games. It’s got a few annoyances, but overall it was a nice bonus to have. I recall it was on sale a while ago, but the current price is $20, which means I am technically getting Spesh Mareen for $30. So there’s that (although I am annoyed that I didn’t break down and pre-order when they had the 10% off a couple of weeks ago.

10. Jacques says:

Yay Thunder Hammer. All other mellee weapons are obsolete.

11. Burning Man says:

“so you can pick which “bonus content” you want to miss out on.”

Trudat.

12. Teddy Leach says:

Apparently since I pre-ordered from Amazon I get a snazzy golden chainsword. That’ll make me feel a little better about not being allowed a powersword.

• Syra says:

Apparently there is a powersword but it was a KillTeam preorder exclusive >< bloody hell cross game preorder exclusives to boot.

The Sombrero Kid says:

pending a WIT this is a must buy for me.

14. Freud says:

If I had a hammer
    I’d hammer in the morning
    I’d hammer in the evening
    All over this land
    I’d hammer out danger
    I’d hammer out a warning
    I’d hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters
    All over this land

• Dances to Podcasts says:

So, Freud, you should know. Is the hammer just a hammer?

15. almostDead says:

That doesn’t look like the thunderhammer of my youth. I remember when they first came out with the storm shield? and lightning claws on terminators. About the same time as the deathwing add on for space hulk.

I wonder whether that boardgame guy will review space hulk or bloodbowl.

• Syra says:

:D those old thunderhammers with stormshields do look different, nowadays they are only used one-handed by terminators (and maybe twohanded in the special assault marine boxes they have for death company and spacewolves etc). I kinda like the big chunky hammers!

• ceriphim says:

@Cinnamon Is there a transcript available of that video? I’m sure his accent is easily parsed by those on the British side of the pond, but holy crap! It’s nearly impenetrable to me except for the cussing.

16. Tams80 says:

BOOONG! BOOOONG!

17. theleif says:

If you don’t think that impulse is Satan, you can pre order it for cheap (49 dollar, cheapish if you compare it to euro prices) there. Well, you can pre order it there even if you think it’s Satan, but you probably won’t. Unless you’re a Satanist. But i doubt a Satanist thinks impulse is Satan.

Cheers

sonofsanta says:

Three things:
    - It’s bad enough having to sit through all the logos everytime I start the game, but for a 1:39 video, 15 seconds at the beginning were just bloody logos. Control yourselves, lads, reign it in a bit.
    - Isn’t Ork blood green?
    - THAT LOOKS AWESOME

• aircool says:

Nah, it’s red.

• Nick says:

you can probably just delete the movie files in thier directory to not have to watch them on startup.. usually works fine, just cut and paste them elsewhere to test it.

19. iniudan says:

For you people complaining about the exclusive DLC, if we follow what happened with Retribution they most likely just sell them a bit after release.

Has for what they do is mostly give a specific chapter Avatar more accurate detail for this specific chapter, so basically it just cosmetic, but you can still make the chapter without those cosmetic stuff but that will be more like painting a generic space marine Chapter then a Chapter based figure. (Feel free to replace Chapter by Legion if you happen to be an heretic) So basically a bit like painting a regular Dark Angel marine on a model without the robe.

The one I wonder what happen with them are the preorder that get relic weapon , which normaly should be more powerful then a standard weapon or does it simply come has a pimp version in the gameplay ?

• Syra says:

I wonder about the relic bolter too – assuming it’s a standard bolter, or a skin for the stormbolter in multiplayer. In the campaign you get a relic chainsword much later which is better, so who knows.

20. aircool says:

…and the dirt is gone!

21. Avish says:

Hope they’ll fix that annoying flickering shadows bug.
    The demo gave me a bit of a headache….

In the mean time I’ll settle for this little classic:

22. Davie says:

My favorite things are “INFORMATUS” and the Inception BWONNNGGG. Will be buying this.

23. Anton says: