Augment Your Experience: DXHR Debug Mod

By Lewie Procter on September 5th, 2011 at 9:53 am.

I strongly recommend fiddling with the 'List PS3 paths' option, just to see what it says.

Scaleform? Dolby Digital? AMD? I didn’t ask for this. Neither did you, probably, so if you fancy a way of disabling all those annoying unskipable splash screens, here it is. Word on the street is that the member of staff at Eidos Montreal responsible for them fully intended to make the splash screens skippable, but as they entered the meeting room to discuss it, a prerendered cutscene took over and forced them to make the splash screens unskippable. What a shame.

Still, thanks to the work of modder extraordinaire “gibbed”, we’ve got a mod to enable debug mode in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and it lets us fiddle with all sorts of settings. Do you like fiddling with settings?

Here’s an example, just a little sample, of what you can do with Debug mode enabled:

• Instantly spawn any items, like weapons, ammo, weapon mods, and consumables,
  • Instantly unlock any augmentations,
  • Disable auto health regeneration,
  • Auto-hack any terminal,
  • Infinite energy,
  • Infinite health,
  • Turn off all NPCs,
  • Hide the HUD,
  • Disable intro (this stops all the logos loading, you just see a quick wall of text, and then straight to the main menu).
  • And loads, loads, more.

It also sticks a mission selector on the main menu, so you can jump right back into your favourite mission, if you feel like it. I reckon for my next playthrough, I’m going to unlock a host of augmentations from the start, give myself unlimited energy, but switch off health regeneration.

With news that at least three hub areas were cut from the game, it’s hard to not dream that modders might pick up the slack. As recently as last month, Eidos Montreal suggested to Gamespy that they might put out mod tools if enough people want them.

Any mods you’d like to see? Perhaps replacing all the boss fights with air vents to climb through.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Burning Man says:

Holy fucking hell.

Gibbed is a gift from heaven.

• Nyst says:

Will it allow me to run the game windowed maximized?
      I’d even settle for just plain windowed.

• funtard says:

This guy gibbed makes all sorts of useful mods for all sorts of games. He’s such a legend. I love him.

• thristhart says:

Wait, the game doesn’t let you run windowed by default? This is 2011, people! The original half-life had a windowed mode, for fuck’s sake, you should be able to figure it out by now.

• Patches the Hyena says:

gibbed made the Mass Effect 2 save editor, and even though it wasn’t completed it made my experience so much more enjoyable. I have no doubt it’ll be the same for Human Revolution!

• S0N0S says:

Sadly, this does not provide for a windowed mode option. The only method that seems to work reliably is DxWnd(DX9 option).

• DigitalSignalX says:

I’ve used his ME editors quite a bit, I suspect it secretly contributed to Bioware releasing the ME2 Genesis DLC since so many vocal members of the community were using it.

• Urthman says:

I always see people ask about this but I’ve never understood.

What’s the advantage to running the game in a (maximized?) window?

• Rii says:

@Urthman

It allows you to make use of multiple monitors for multitasking without the game spazzing out each time you switch focus away from it.

• LionsPhil says:

Instant alt-tabbing, and it will use your desktop resolution and refresh rate without having to be beaten into doing so, which you have presumably already set to be the best your monitor can do.

The downsides are that you may lose gamma adjustment and theoretically an miniscule amount of performance.

• Saiko Kila says:

Depending on many factors, the loss of performance can be way higher than minuscule. I’m looking at M&B Warband now, or WF&S even more.

• mensch1970 says:

I hate to sound like a total farmer, but where do you get the debug mod? Is it a download? Is it something I change in the config files?

• mensch1970 says:

I hate to sound like a dumbass, but where do you get the debug mod? Is it downloadable, or is it just something I change in the config file or what?

2. Sheng-ji says:

I wouldn’t want to avoid the boss fights, just have the tools to take them on in a way that’s more representative of the rest of the game! It should still be tough, but for a starter, we should begin them in cover with access to air vents fairly easily – though the vents should have loads of those grills that enable you to be seen and shot through…… and air vents only for one boss, the others should have different methods to give you stealthy mobility…. Bring on mod tools Eidos and this is what I will create!!!

• John P says:

The funny thing about the bosses in HR is that you could simply erase them from the game entirely, and change nothing else, and a new player would never even notice something missing.

But if you’re going to have bosses, how about a mod that actually tells us something about them? A mod that gives them a reason to be in the game in the first place? A mod that makes them something other than the empty vessels they currently are?

Or just make a mod that turns them into robots. Because functionally that’s what they are right now.

• Sheng-ji says:

Yeah, it’d be nice to have clues in emails building up a picture of what you might be facing and when you may face them, further reward for exploration!

• Jerricho says:

Actually my major issue with the boss fights is that they are just unfair, what is the reasoning for disabling melee attacks? The boss gets to use them. Otherwise they are utterly pointless.

[SPOILER ALERT]
      I didn’t skip them but I did break them. In the first fight I just lobbed an EMP grenade then ran up and stunned him repeatedly until he collapsed. I didn’t fire a single shot. Although the ensuing cutscene has a somewhat different take on my tactic. Actually cutscenes that assume you’ve done something completely the opposite of how you played annoy me first than specifically disabling some of your abilities.

• JackShandy says:

SPOILERS?!

Before every bossfight there’s some kind of sidequest or choice you can make that leads to someone giving you info. I’d like a mod that just makes those things Killswitches.

• Sheng-ji says:

REPLY TO A SPOILER!!!

Ha! I must have missed every one of those

• Gnoupi says:

Note that the last boss (SPOILERS, in case that wasn’t obvious)
      ..made me think at first “oh, finally, a boss which uses hacking, sneaking, or even social skills from earlier to defeat”

The three pods are to open by your preferred method, that’s good, and you see obviously people in pain inside it. So my first thought is to free them, but you can’t. So at least, since all we need is to stop the whole thing, and it seems to rely on their consciousness, I thought I could just use tranquilizers on them….. And no, nothing, it seems to do something, but it doesn’t change your objective.
      You have to kill them, like there is no other way to play.

I mean, I can understand with the other bosses, they were mercenaries, trained killers. It’s a “You or me” kind of situation. But here? It was a machine to stop, with obviously parts to deactivate, so why I had, once again, to spill blood?

(And then, after all that whining about killing people, he chose the 4th ending)

END SPOILERS

• Harlander says:

I think you can tranq the individuals in question, it just seems to take several shots.

• Tom De Roeck says:

You can tranq them, it takes only one shot, but you have to be quick about it, or they wake up again. Race against time, sort of. Also, see the forum for my thoughts on that whole business, I dislike this comment system.

• grundus says:

The machine in question can be skipped entirely if you have… Er… That weapon that can shoot through walls. Or is it just glass? Anyway, you can skip it if you have that.

• Gnoupi says:

@Tom – oh, nice. I’ll try that this evening. Thanks for the tip

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Gnoupi – sometimes you have to make hard choices. No problem with the bosses forcing you to “take them out” – their choice, not yours (and wasn’t Simmons the same in DX1?). Big problem was the shitness of the fights.

• LionsPhil says:

Simons is actually a DX1 boss you can simply run away from, and the game will acknowledge this by having him alive to hound you later (when you can again run away).

Navarre and Gunther were written as requiring a fight/killswitch, but emergent gameplay means people found ways around that. Cutscenes deny such possibilities.

3. Crimsoneer says:

I want a mod that removes cutscenes that force you to behave like an inconsistent baboon.

4. Ashpolt says:

“Word on the street is that the member of staff at Eidos Montreal responsible for them fully intended to make the splash screens skippable, but as they entered the meeting room to discuss it, a prerendered cutscene took over and forced them to make the splash screens unskippable. What a shame.”

Oh RPS, I love you so very, very much.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, I was just scrolling down the comments to see if anyone beat me to approving of that bit. These are the kind of delicious sprinkles that make RPS tastier than the average gaming-news-donut.

5. The Dark One says:

Gibbed is all kinds of awesome for his modding and tweaking. Tecman is also a cool dude for supplying a copy of DE:HR for the SA phtoshop contest to supplement the official prizes.

6. diebroken says:

BF2 had company intro movies that were also unskippable, until you renamed the files…

7. jezcentral says:

A mod that stops the NPCs suffering from Supermarionation Syndrome would be good.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

Yes, yes, yes and yes; I hate the over gesticulating from the NPCs; they seem to have attended the same acting classes as those in GTA.

• alh_p says:

It’s the weird sideways-head-bobbing, like the NPCs have really weak necks, or elastic bands instead of tendons.

I think they miss alot of eye movement, which in reality conveys more than head bobbing for emphasis/side ways for empathy or whatever.

• LionsPhil says:

Can they be worse than the NPC gesticulations in Invisible War? I particularly like how in that models seem to have their origin in the pelvis, so where the mo-capped actors were slightly shifting their weight, instead the characters swivel their legs and feet about as if nailed in mid-air and not quite able to reach the floor. It is impressively offputting.

8. Squirrelfanatic says:

Turning off health regeneration may sound nice at first, but think about the small amount of healing items you get. Deus Ex 1 had an augmentation for regenerating health. That would be a mod that I would be interested in.

• HermitUK says:

Technically the health regen is an aug (Up there on the top left of the Aug screen), it’s just installed by default. A mod that removed those at the start of the game and gave you a few points to distribute how you wanted as compensation could be cool.

I’m hoping someone can add in a little inidcator, perhaps on the pause screen, telling you if you’ve triggered any alarms or killed anyone yet on a specific playthrough. The No Alarms/Pacifist run sounds like an entertaining challenge, but there’s no way of tracking it.

Rather than unlimited energy, I’d also like a mod that makes all the energy cells recharge over time. Still only one at a time, mind, and each subsequent cell should take longer to charge than the one before, to make energy boost items useful in combat.

Enemy AI that don’t get completely confused by air vents would be nice, too, though maybe that’s supposed to be a throwback to the original.

• Grygus says:

Your suggested tracking system is better, but you do get a bonus called “Smooth Operator” if you triggered no alarms, and one called “Ghost” if you triggered alarms but were never actually seen, so you can tell on a per-mission basis.

• Tom De Roeck says:

Id rather have Jensen (or any other character in an expansion) be “not state of the art” augmented, and actually have others add augmentations. Not like for Jensen, who is fully augmented, just dormant.

And there would be up and downsides to having different kinds of augmentations.

Hold on, Im going to post this in the forum.

• alh_p says:

Grygus, what I think Hermit is saying is that mid-mission you don’t know if you’re still on course for Ghost/Smooth operator. The difference is clear when you look at the mission to retrieve a weapons cash from the gang in the first Detroit hub, you have a specific additional objective to remain undetected, as soon as you are, it fails so you know then and there (to reload you quick save…).

The actual issue is probably regarding the lack of clarity over the different states of alarm/suspicion. From my playthrough, i gather that suspicion from a camera or guard hearing a noise does not count as triggering an alarm. What about the times when you take a goon out and the radar briefly flashes “alarmed” before the guy conks out?

Anyway, a flag to say how you were doing in this respect would still be useful.

• Enso says:

Hermit, that’s exactly what I want from the energy system.

About the vents in DX1, I was playing it the other day and they spotted me a good few times and openned fire. One instance of a higher vent in HR where they spotted me after I missed a tranq shot and they fired on me there too. Floor level vents were safe havens though.

• malkav11 says:

An alarm is an actual, physical alarm. There will be panels to turn it off, and a siren noise if it’s activated. (Well, I’m not sure there’s always panels everywhere there can be an alarm, since an alarm is also triggered if you shoot cameras or are seen by them for too long and not just by NPCs hitting the alarm panel. Siren noise, though.)

You lose the Ghost bonus if the state of alert ever bumps up to Hostile, even for a second, or if a camera sees you for too long. I don’t think the Foxiest of the Hounds achievement has anything to do with Ghosting a level, though. Fortunately.

9. Stevostin says:

A mod that remove TPV in a way that still work with the gameplay so I can buy the game !

• Sheng-ji says:

I’d be surprised if this “mod” doesn’t already exist…. try googling Human Revolution Crax0rzzzzz… or something

10. The Dark One says:

One point I’d like to add is that cutting hubs doesn’t necessarily mean that much lost content. Well, you’re losing the physical levels and different architectural styles that they would have used, but if the developers were smart enough and make the decision early on, it would just mean packing things in more densely in the remaining hubs.

That’s basically what happened with the droid planet in KOTOR II. Aside from some broadly sketched levels, all the NPCs, quests and little world-building bits were appropriated for the other worlds and used to make the rest of the game more lived-in.

11. YeOldeSnake says:

Now i can finally spawn that Hot Devil Tish needs.

• godgoo says:

***HOT DEVIL LOCATION SPOILER***

there’s some in the cafeteria near the heli pad in Sarif HQ

• diebroken says:

***HOT DEVIL LOCATION SPOILER***

1 in a trash can outside of the Sarif building
      2 in a security locked garage lived in by bums at the west end in detroit near the road closed off by police

IIRC, I think Tish wants 4 in total?

• JackShandy says:

***HOT DEVIL LOCATION SPOILER***

There’s a few of them in the Purity First level. One’s on a desk in the room before you get to Zeke.

12. phoenixdk says:

Since this is a mod, and not exactly using a console, are we to take it this wont affect achievements in Steam ala Fallout NV?

Not that I’m a total achievement wh*re or anything but it’d suck to install this then start a pacifist play-through and learn too late it was all for nought :p

13. JackShandy says:

Oh fuck shit piss karate yes. I’ve been obsessively imagining Deus Ex: HR mods the whole day.

Absolute must-have: A mod that gets rid of all EXP rewards except those you get for completing missions. Mission complete XP would be doubled. No more would I feel the judging eye of Eidos Montreal as I clumsily slaughter guards.

• Rhygadon says:

This.
      As I play I’ve been imagining a second, non-nonviolent playthrough, where I’d actually use the revolvers and rocket launchers and such. But the thought of all those lonely “Man Down: 10XP” notices is just agonizing.

• Magnetude says:

It does make the turret and robot hacking upgrades feel a bit hollow, doesn’t it?

Turn a robot on its masters at just the right time for maximum havoc and you’re rewarded with:
      Man Down: 10XP
      Man Down: 10XP
      Man Down: 10XP
      Man Down: 10XP

Smash two dudes’ heads together and you get a glorious 50XP for each and a 25XP bonus for how cleverly you pushed the Q button. A balance mod is needed, I feel.

• JackShandy says:

Tell me what you think of this: A simple XP score multiplier for everyone you kill within a short amount of time. So killing four dudes in quick succession would go:

Man Down: 10XP
      Double Kill: 20XP
      Multi kill: 40XP
      Rampage: 60XP

Very old-school, but it’d give you a reward for setting everything up so you could take out an entire room in two seconds flat.

• Magnetude says:

JackShandy: That would reward well-thought out plans of the kind that I enjoy (using unconscious guards to lure people into gas mines and hacking a turret to mop up the rest), I like it. I think another problem is that they reward the non-lethal approach with XP, when it maybe would have worked better to keep the XP rewards the same, but have a character reward you for non-lethal approaches as in the original. On the other hand, I see why they did it this way – it makes sense in-universe that things that are more difficult to do give greater rewards, e.g. headshots and incapacitating people without killing them. The extent to which they’ve justified a lot of the game mechanics with plausible reasons is to be applauded.

I think I’d like to see all kills/takedowns rewarded with a similar amount of XP, a bonus for headshots and other tricky stuff, and all XP rewards greatly reduced if an alarm is active, to allow for the ‘violent stealth’ that this game is so good at simulating. Add in your combo modifiers and you’ve got a system that rewards a smart assault as much as it rewards a ghost run.

• Magnetude says:

Basically, that part when you have to kill a lot of men in a short space of time to stop something bad happening?That part made me feel like the world’s biggest badass, calmly sprinting around the perimeter stabbing mans with my elbow swords before seamlessly segueing into a double pistol headshot. That felt like the epitome of Deus Ex combat, but I got minimal XP reward for it. A system that rewarded that as much as stealth would be perfect. But, in a way that is smart, not just throwing grenades into rooms or exploiting AI while alarms go off all around you.

• malkav11 says:

While I agree that it’s tough from a min-maxer perspective to let all those exp rewards go by, the simple fact of the matter is that there is an enormous amount of praxis floating around and you don’t need anywhere near as much of it as you can get. Play how you want to play. Don’t worry about it.

14. AlexW says:

I… I thought you were cool, Lewie. “all those annoying unskipable [sic] splash screens”? That’s the beginning of the main menu theme music! How could you not enjoy that?

15. Pemptus says:

There’s also a stacking mod, for those who find inventory space a bit limiting and therefore annoying: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/944090-deus-ex-human-revolution/60163380 (look for the latest mediafire link or something similar)
    There’s a version of this mod that also makes most weapons and ammo boxes take less slots.
    There’s a version bundled with the debug mod as well.
    Applying mods is still a little awkward, as most modify the same one file, and you have to hunt for compilations if you want to use more than one.

16. DrazharLn says:

I would like to see mod tools for a bunch of small fixes but also for more missions, extra hubs and stories.

I dearly hope Eidos come through on this.

17. Magnetude says:

This fits perfectly with my plans to do a no-augs playthrough next.

- No augmentations (unless one is absolutely required to progress)
    - Hardass bastard, maximum profit approach to all quests
    - No outlines or markers
    - No regen health

A distinctly noir story will unfold, of an Adam forced to rely on his trusty fully upgraded pistol, able to stay alive only by constantly downing whiskey and painkillers. Yes, how excellent.

18. godgoo says:

I’d like a mod that replaces all boss fights with one of those woodland-creature- releasing things from the end of a zone in Sonic 2.

19. The Sombrero Kid says:

While there’s more than enough gameplay in the game to render any complaints about the cut content affecting the length of the game ludicrous, the story was clearly designed with different pacing in mind, I wouldn’t be surprised if the terrible plot was wholly due to the cut parts of the game.

20. IDtenT says:

Infinite energy and health is all good and well, but the list seems to be missing the infinite dragons option. A truly sad day for gaming.

• Patches the Hyena says:

Patience, child, Skyrim shall reward you in grand fashion. If not, an entire army of modders awaits your command.

21. trigger_rant says:

A Mod that brings me pizza from the restaurant while Im lazy and play video games. Go do it modders, I demand it! Because modders are there to do my bidding.

22. freakoftheuniverse says:

Man, just last night I was thinking to myself “Wouldn’t it be lovely if some strapping young internet fellow/lass/monster put an item mod in, so I could have more than three cocktails?”.
    Now, all I want is the full soundtrack.

23. povu says:

We need Upper Hengsha modded in. What’s the point of making such a cool layered city if you’re only showing the lower part?

24. DevilSShadoW says:

“I reckon for my next playthrough, I’m going to unlock a host of augmentations from the start, give myself unlimited energy, but switch off health regeneration.”

YES. THIS.
    I was actually waiting for such a mod that would allow me to to exactly the same thing. AND NOW I CAN!
    Gibbed you are a god amongst men.

25. Ergates_Antius says:

Of all the silly developer habits, unskippable splash screens make least sense to me.

What, exactly, are they hoping to achieve? I’ve already bought the game, What more do they want from me? WTF is Scaleform, why do I care?

• OrangyTang says:

They’re usually mandatory. Middleware (physics/audio/etc.) libraries usually have a clause in their agreement that says their logo must be visible for at least X seconds at startup. Publishers will have their own terms too.

• JuJuCam says:

I suppose they’re there for a similar reason opening splash screens are on films. To give credit to the companies, investors and technologies that made the following however many minutes of entertainment possible. It’s a nuisance maybe but come on, pre patch the loading screens took more of your times.

And maybe someone will be interested in finding out who or what scaleform is, and learn something new.

• skocznymroczny says:

scaleform is kind of like Flash for games. Most games use it for GUI and stuff. Almost any AAA game uses it.

26. Mirqy says:

Can I get a mod to turn off NPCs in real life? They’re starting to annoy me.

27. jplayer01 says:

Sweet. Played through the game with this mod, now I really, really want modding tools.

28. grundus says:

I’m so on this. I just started a second playthrough but stopped when I realised I just don’t have the ammo to shoot everyone (and I do mean everyone) nor the energy to stab them with my elbows instead. I’d like just one playthrough to use all the guns and augs fully upgraded, then it’ll be back to strictly stealth again. Doesn’t really make sense to do two no-kills PT’s back to back, you’d just end up taking the exact same path through the game twice, which defeats the object of DX, really.

29. Kadayi says:

One thing I’d like to see is Eidos make available high definition versions of the cut scene videos. I assume for the purposes of getting the game down to a size suitable for the ubiquitous 360 DVD limits they had to compress them down something rotten, but they kind of do themselves a disservice when it comes to PC as the low resolution and muddy colours really show. There must exist some high definition versions.

30. Radiant says:

Is there an option to make the game look better?

31. Nathan Wind says:

Excellent work with the Cypress Hill reference.

32. ABearWithAGun says:

Instantly spawn any item, you say? HAHAHA, DEATH BY MASS BASKETBALLS RETURNS!

33. Radiant says:

The “put the monitor on the floor” augmentation.

Comment on this story