Dead Island Receiving Day One Bandages

By John Walker on September 5th, 2011 at 5:02 pm.

Come on in, the water's lovely.

Dead Island is out tomorrow in the American States, but not until Friday for the Eurochaps. I’m playing it right now! (We’ll have a WIT up in the middle of the week, to confuse everyone in all territories.) I’m also not encountering quite as many bugs as others have spotted in some of the reviews that have appeared today. But that’s not stopping the appearance of a day one patch, due out tomorrow along with the game, that will fix an impressive thirty-seven issues. You can read them for your own amusement below.

These come courtesy of D’toid.

Fixed map synchronization when player joins during map load.
Fixed saving player re-spawn position when playing in co-op mode.
Fixed occasional inability to complete sidequests in Laboratory.
Improved enemy awareness (zombies).
Fixed occasional bug with NPC’s hands bend (IK)
Fixed spawning enemies in some quests after joining co-op game.
Fixed showing locations on invisible NPCs.
Fixed potential path blocker when quest “Knockin’ on heaven’s door” was completed before talking to Dominik during the “On the air” quest.
Fixed displaying gather rings near some doors.
Fixed enemy reaction to fire.
Fixed enemies’ health and stamina bars in co-op.
Fixed filtering of games in lobby.
Volume of pickup’s engine has been increased.
Fixed a number of issues causing game instability.
Fixed the switching of maps upon player death.
Fixed enemies unable to reach the player on some arenas.
Thrown items cannot be picked up by co-op players for five minutes.
Items from freshly opened containers cannot be picked up by other players for five seconds to prevent theft.
Fixed animation glitch when trading with team members.
More than one player can use a ladder at the same time.
Fixed stomping execution animation when target’s attacked by a second player.
Fixed the infinite respawning of shooting enemies.
Fixed not hiding menu if players die inside a vehicle.
Fixed item level calculation when playing New Game Plus.
Added information about players requesting pause in co-op.
Fixed A.I. animation glitch after fast-traveling or using a map portal.
Added distinction between quest checkpoints and other types of saves.
Fixed bug causing all inventory to disappear.
Fixed reloading and kicking. After the clip goes in, the reload is a success.
Purna can gain bonus rage from both “Grim Inspiration” and “Inspiring Kick”.
Health regeneration is disabled during grabs.
Focus on items in shops not changing after selling or buying.
More HP for NPCs in escort missions.
Butcher enemies won’t spawn at all during escort missions (hooray!)
Fixed tracking after loading checkpoint.
Increased minimum vertical distance to count a waypoint as passed for NPCs (they no longer wander back-and-forth).

They don’t appear to have fixed the bug that’s causing all the humans to turn into flesh-eating zombies though. It’d be a lovely island resort if they’d only address that issue.

, , .

1. Theory says:

Purna can gain bonus rage from both “Grim Inspiration” and “Inspiring Kick”.

*Mind goes in circles*

2. Tyshalle says:

So what’s it like, so far? Worth the pre-order, since apparently it’ll give you the free access to some DLC next month?

• Veeskers says:

Yes, are early RPS impressions positive? There are other reviews, but I need some info about the general quality of the PC version before the pre-order offer runs out (due to being coop-focused, this game is one of those rare ones that might be worth getting early).
      Can you type ingame or is it voicechat only? Is the player connectivity any good?

• Juan Carlo says:

Yeah, console reviews have ranged from good to “eh” (most say it’s kind of cheesy and a bit too RPG-ish, which isn’t such a problem for me) but I really want to see an opinion on at least how it runs on the the PC before I buy it.

You can get it for 40% off at Greenman if you pre-order (plus free DLC when it’s released) so it’d be nice to take advantage of that deal while there’s still time. But I can’t seem to find a single PC specific review of it.

• Big Murray says:

@Juan Carlo, I only see a 25% off at GMG. Which puts it at the customary £29.95 anyway.

3. DarkFenix says:

Well Eurogamer has said basically what I expected of the game. A fun but ultimately shoddy game from a budget developer. I think I’ll wait for a) a sale and b) multiple patches.

4. Calneon says:

Trackmania 2, Deus Ex HR, Space Marine, Red Orchestra 2, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, RAGE.

I kind of hope Dead Island sucks so I don’t get tempted into buying yet another game :S.

(not really, I’ll just wait for it to be on sale.)

5. BobbleHat says:

That’s all well and good, but do dogs now cast shadows? And has too big moon been readjusted?

6. B0GiE-uk- says:

£23.96 on hotukdeals. After reading the joystik review I think i’ll wait for a sale. :)

7. man-eater chimp says:

I feel amused.

8. Heliocentric says:

Thrown items cannot be picked up by co- op players for five minutes.

Can’t imagine this fix could possibly cause problems… ‘haha the barrel blocking the lift door from shutting that’d be impractical to shoot away is breaking lift!’ is it so terrible I see a list of ways to grief in those fixes?

• DuckSauce says:

Perhaps they meant seconds, if 5 minutes and it can still be picked up only by the player who thrown it… wow 0.o griefing abound.

• Gezmond says:

The 5 minute delay is probably there to stop the ninja looter, that just joined your game, stealing the knife (that you have spent 5 levels upgrading) right after you have thrown it into a zombie thug

• Juan Carlo says:

I think they mean weapons. You can throw melee weapons at zombies and they will stick in their bodies until you retrieve them again. However, if anyone could retrieve them right after being thrown then this would basically enable theft/trolling.

9. Teddy Leach says:

But, gentlemen! Should I buy this game?

10. jon_hill987 says:

Pills here!

Wait, wrong zombie game…

Is it just me or have there been a few to many of these of late?

• kuran says:

Besides having zombies, this game has nothing in common with Left4Dead.

• Antsy says:

Yes, other than being YET ANOTHER BLOODY ZOMBIE GAME WHICH IS THE POINT HE WAS MAKING, very very different….

• kuran says:

Thats a shitty point, terrible way to generalize stuff.

• JackShandy says:

Next we’ll be making a whole separate category for games with dragons in them!

• Enso says:

Also, no one seems to be getting them right. It’s all 2004 rather than 1978.

11. Premium User Badge Keymonk says:

“Only “Walker” type enemies increase the extra XP of the “Combo” skill from Xian’s Survival skill tree.”

Hey, John, you didn’t tell us you were in the game!

12. kuran says:

This game will be quite special, I hope.

• wodin says:

Apart from the first trailer which it seems was far away from actual gameplay I have yet to see why people think this game is gojng to be special.

• Gezmond says:

An RPG co-op, set in a zombie B movie…. I`m gonna have a lot of fun!

• kuran says:

Proper first person animations, no third person jank.. semi-open world, atmospheric setting, inventory and detailed stats/skills/traits, zombies that can pull you from your vehicles, co-op focus, …

Reviews so far have been very positive.

I have no idea. I’m sure it won’t be flawless, but they aren’t lacking in ambition. If Deus Ex HR can win so many hearts, this surely deserves a chance too?

13. Shortwave says:

I think the only way I’d ever buy this is if I could demo it..

14. ZIGS says:

I only bought this because it was cheap. greenmangaming.com + 20% off code + American VPN to purchase in dollars = $34/24€ :)

15. Demiath says:

In terms of review aggregates this is one of the lowest scoring games I’ve ever pre-ordered, but the Borderlands-esque vibe I’m getting from even the least favorable reviews is strong enough that I think I might just be sufficiently fond of repetition and XP to enjoy Dead Island, even in singleplayer. And, yeah, buying a Steam code through GMG resulted in a nice low price…

16. Spider Jerusalem says:

Got a 4-pack on Steam. Looking forward to some good co-opness.

I hope it doesn’t suck.

:\

17. HalNeinThousand says:

“Fixed enemy reaction to fire.”
    I just hope the patches and their subsequent notes won’t get to Boiling Point levels.

18. paco says:

Its pretty clear to me that, like Borderlands, this game and the fun therein is going to hinge on playing it multiplayer. Almost everyone who plays it single player is going to complain the bugs are crappy, the story is cheesey, etc etc. for good reason: They’re playing it alone and it gives them time to notice these problems.

For people playing it with multiple people, the story is going to be irrelevant, the quests are going to be mere excuses to run around together smacking zombies into tiny bits and laughing about it, and so automatically, whatever score you see in reviews needs to be weighted for this effect. If you have co op buddies, tack an extra point onto any score you see. If you don’t, take one away.

Then based on this new score, decide if you want to try the game or not.

I bought two copies already, one for my steam and one for my wife’s, and either she and I or my daughter or son and I will play the game together like we did Borderlands, and we’ll have a ball. Because smacking zombies to death together is a great way to build up familial love, companionship and respect.

• Tei says:

Eurogamer make it feel like this is a game where you will play alone even if there are 4 players in the server (?). Like.. people will follow his own targets, so people will mostly ignore each another.

• Premium User Badge PoulWrist says:

You’re turning your kids into psychotic killing machines with murder simulators and calling it fun!??!? MADNESS!

Oh wait, I’m of the exact opposite belief of that statement. Carry on!

• paco says:

Tei I have no idea how you got that impression from that review but cool, yeah, if so that would be dull. Hard to do that when you’re sitting next to one another though.

Poul they have to learn to survive the almost certainly going to happen in our lifetimes coming zombie apocalypse somehow. I feel it is my fatherly duty to teach them the skills needed to survive such an adverse environment.

19. Navagon says:

Well I suppose them having a lot to fix and fixing it is better than them just chucking it out the door and leaving it at that.

I’ve been following this game since before their website went dark, so it damn well better be good. Especially seeing as it cost me £15 on GMG.

20. Yosharian says:

I cancelled my pre-order. Don’t need another loot-click-fest, got plenty of those already. Shame this didn’t turn out to be the atmospheric zombie survival game it sorta claimed to be in that first trailer.

21. Geurge says:

Pressing Y activates noclip.

No cheats are needed to turn on or anything, just pressing Y.

22. Big Murray says:

Looks like this’ll be a prime candidate for spending at the Steam Christmas Sale.