Sideway: No Merlot Allowed

By Lewie Procter on September 5th, 2011 at 2:45 pm.

I’ve liked the look of this one for a while, but I had seen the words “PSN exclusive” being bandied around. Reasuringly, the developers Playbrains (who you may remember as the folks that brought us that Madballs game) recently confirmed that yes, Sideway is “definitely coming to PC – via Steam”. That screenshot doesn’t really do the game justice, so embedded beneath is a trailer that shows off the unique set of mechanics that set it apart from the competition.

2D characters in the 3D world? What will they think of next. It’s hard to tell based on the little infomation we have to go on so far whether the plane-switching platforming will result in fun puzzles, or whether its mostly just an aesthetic choice, but it’s certainly grabbed my attention. After 2D platformers declined in popularity at the dawn the the 21st century, it’s wonderful to see their continued resurgence.

From the looks of things, Sideway melds classic 90s era platforming, a new world bending gimmick, and fat beats. A potent combination, I’m sure you’ll agree. It’s due out on October the 11th, and it’ll set you back $10.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Magnetude says:

If anyone uses Origin I’m fucking leaving!

(Not serious btw, Sideways reference) /disclaimer

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

I too want to voice my approval of the Sideways reference. For a film that got so much artsy / critical hype I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

Oh yeah the game!

It looks genuinely good, I like the graffiti art style and the way they handle 2D within a 3D world. Please keep us posted RPS.

• johnpeat says:

I too would like to comment that Sideways was a rather aces film…

• TheGameSquid says:

I would like to voice my disapproval of the Sideways reference. What a shamelessly terrible and unoriginal movie. Giamatti can’t act for shit. He has PRECISELY two faces.

1. The “Dear God I hate myself”-face

2. The “Dear God I hate myself, please pity me”-face

The entire movie revolves around this and incredibly unsubtle comparisons between wine and life in general.

I disprove!

• godgoo says:

^
      I think you may be living in a somewhat two-dimensional world

• Joe Duck says:

Extra points to those who knew that Chatêau Cheval Blanc is a wine made with Merlot grapes.
      The film is very funny for wine lovers, as it has many winks like that one. As a matter of fact, the guy is not so knowledgeable as he thinks and in fact is a little bit lost, just like 99% of pompous wine lovers, myself included.

2. Balhazer says:

Boomer… crap sign in wordpress!!!

3. Rii says:

Super Paper Mario did a similar 2D/3D plane-switching thing a while back.

And just to get it out of my system now: Sideways was not a film about wine FFS!

• Lewie Procter says:

It’s a shame Super Paper Mario was a bit shite. Done right, it had a lot of potential, but they really didn’t get much interesting use out the core mechanic, and there was a tonne of padding content.

A shame, because I loved the first two Paper Mario games.

• smoke.tetsu says:

I think the concept here looks better than Paper Mario to be honest.

• Rii says:

I think Paper Mario on Wii suffered from the same lack of focus that befell certain other of Nintendo’s established B-franchises like Animal Crossing and Mario Party in the midst of the casual craze. I’d like to think they’ve learned their lesson from that.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Aliens wasn’t about games being over, or bitches getting away from things, but I think you’re still allowed to make references to famous lines from it. Aren’t you?

• Rii says:

Sure, but that’s the ONLY context in which the film is ever discussed. It’s as if the only thing one were to take away from A Clockwork Orange was the sex scene set to the William Tell Overture. Sideways has entered into the cultural consciousness as ‘that wine film’ and it’s bullshit.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

It is rather difficult to make throwaway references to mid-life crisis and friends growing away from each other. On the other hand, referencing the wine tasting trip that was the excuse for the film’s events is pretty easy to make jokes about.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Gotta agree with Lewie. SPM had a neat little concept but the game itself was ass. Paper-thin (dohoho) RPG elements (even more so than Mario-themed RPGs) mixed with horribly generic platforming does not a good game make. The story was that game’s only saving grace, otherwise it would’ve been crappy all around.

• Lewie Procter says:

There were a couple of very funny moments in it, at least.

This gem, in particular, I thought was quite good:

• Joe Duck says:

In Sideways, the wine world is the background of the story. Of course the romance and midlife crisis have nothing to do with wine, but come on, the guy drinks from the spitting bucket! How is that not about wine?
      The jokes are about wine and some characters are presented as wine stereotypes, SPECIALLY the protagonist.

4. smoke.tetsu says:

This game has piqued my interest already it looks pretty amazing and better than their madballs game which was kind of a letdown in my opinion both as a game and as a homage to the madballs which I was a fan of in the 80′s.

BTW the screenshot did no justice to the game everyone must see the video to get a real sense of it.

5. iisjreg says:

Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome.

6. Salt says:

Gosh yes, the screenshot really doesn’t do it justice. The character and most interactive objects are living graffiti art on the walls / roof of the buildings!

If I’d have done it, I would have moving characters leave behind a trail of paint used to cover up their past animation frames (which would hark back to those days where updating the WHOLE screen each frame was too slow for games). I’d also have liked to have a photo-real art style for the buildings on which the game is painted.
    Basically it’d be the stop-motion animated wall painting MUTO, but as a game:

7. Zeewolf says:

That looked surprisingly good.

8. Buttless Boy says:

Oh man, this looks PS1 as fuck. SOLD.

9. Mr_Initials says:

I have a hard enough time thinking in 4 dimensions and now you want me to think in 2d and 3d at the same time? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

10. ColOfNature says:

Phat. Phat beats.

11. JackShandy says:

Looks beautiful and a bunch of fun. Do I see co-op in that video?