Dead Island PROPER Released Later Today

By John Walker on September 6th, 2011 at 3:29 pm.

Herp derp.

Regarding the strange derpage today, where Deep Silver seem to have somehow released the dev version of Dead Island to US Steam users, we’ve had a statement back. It’s succinct:

“the final version will be out during the day”

Which would seem to be both a tacit acknowledgement that something that wasn’t the final version was released, and also the good news that the error should be fixed before bedtime. So that’s good. Our review of Dead Island will appear just as soon as I’ve finished writing it.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. nayon says:

The developers are in some deep silver for this. Oh well, I’m at work right now anyway, will play when I go home. If it still isn’t updated by then, will play 40k.

• PanzerVaughn says:

As far as releases go, historically its not so bad. =D
      assuming the proper version isnt equally borked.. shit.

2. brulleks says:

Do we know that the review copy was the final version? Or are you going to have to do an Orange Juice?

• Baka says:

The very Dead Island news before that Mister Walker said:
      “(I should note that the PC review build I’m playing certainly is optimised for PC.)”

3. Timthos says:

Oddly enough, I played for four hours last night and didn’t have much in the way of problems; I was even in a co-op game the whole time.

• VA1N says:

I played for a while this morning before the patch went out. If you weren’t aware of it, any save games prior to mid day today (around noon) are now gone.

4. Nicholas Totton says:

How will we know when this goes up? I just got up and was planning to play the game but after reading about this BS I really don’t want to have my first experiences with the game ruined because of this screw up. I really hope we are not going to have to redownload the game again, because it takes forever to download that much info.

• The Dark One says:

Check the Downloads view in the Steam Library tab and see if there’s anything related to Dead Island there.

• Juan Carlo says:

I don’t know. I’m beginning to think that the steam version is the version that they intended to release. They simply forgot to do some small things like remove “y-clipping” and what not.

So people started the game, realized what an awful port it was, freaked out and decided it was an older developer build (because surely no port could be that lazy and buggy, especially after the devs have insisted for months that the PC version of the game was not a port), and now Deep Silver are just too embarrassed to admit that it’s actually the game they intended to release.

5. Defiant Badger says:

“Herp derp”

Oh no. My respect for John has just plummeted.

• John Walker says:

You don’t think that facial expression is apposite for the meme?

• lhzr says:

i was gonna say that thought i was on kotaku for a moment, but then i googled and it seems kotaku doesn’t do derp. destructoid does, though. sterling, to be precise.

edit: to clarify, john, this derp thing is all over every forum on the face (and not only) of the internet and it can get a bit too much. we still love you, etc

• Defiant Badger says:

@John

No I don’t. And even if I did I certainly would hope that RPS would try to avoid that sort of thing.

• PanzerVaughn says:

..Theres an official derp face?

• 4026 says:

@Defiant Badger: “I certainly would hope that RPS would try to avoid that sort of thing”

Referencing ridiculous subculture in-jokes for the humorous embellishment of news posts? No, that’s definitely not the RPS I know…

• rayne117 says:

Who cares if the other people are derping or herping? Gosh it feels like I’m back in highschool (OMG YOU CAN’T WEAR THAT, BECKY WORE IT YESTERDAY).

• zergrush says:

To be fair I think it’s quite in bad taste to steal becky’s clothes and wear them the next day, rayne.

• ninjapirate says:

I cringed when I read “derp,” I just never expected to see this “word” in an RPS article. :(

Edit: And for the record: I hate Sterling. Passionately.

• DrGonzo says:

Stop being such a snooty arsehole Badger. You look down on others for their choice in humour. I look down on you for being a stuck up arrogant arse.

• Pemptus says:

Large quantities of hipsterism and butthurtism detected in this thread.

• Koozer says:

This is one of those internet memes I have infinite contempt for. I don’t know what it is exactly, but it’s eternally irritating.

• Defiant Badger says:

Blimey I go away for a couple of hours and now I’m a “snooty arsehole”! It was more I found that subculture distasteful, and, to be quite honest, generally upsetting.

Edit: “Large quantities of hipsterism and butthurtism detected in this thread.” That being a fine example

I think the aggressiveness of that has put me off commenting indefinitely.

• HexagonalBolts says:

herp derp

• Nick says:

you find what subculture upsetting? South Park?

• TillEulenspiegel says:

South Park?

No. There are also memes that have been derived from the Simpsons (early years) and Futurama, but are still fucking annoying when used as internet memes.

I’ll make Simpsons references all day long, but when the Reddit/4chan/whatever culture decides to grab something and beat it into the ground, it gets repulsive pretty quickly.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

Signs and Portents.

Edit: I agree with you Badger.

• MrEvilGuy says:

I love the screenshot. And John taught me a new word, ‘apposite’. I think the screenshot is apposite for Deep Silver’s situation, and the ‘herp derp’ remains hidden within to minimize collateral damage.
      All-in-all, this has been a great start to my morning.

• Navagon says:

Bitching about derp merely adds more derp to the derp-a-thon.

6. CaspianRoach says:

Huh, for a minute there I thought you’re talking about a nuked release.

7. Aemony says:

If RPS was the super secret bunker for The Scene related news it would’ve looked something like this:
    > Dead.Island.Steam.VAC.CEG.US-Deep-Silver-Techland
    > Dead.Island.Steam.VAC.CEG.US-Deep-Silver-Techland NUKED ouch.dev.build.release.epic.fail.no.Staring.Eyes!
    > Dead.Island.Steam.VAC.CEG.US.PROPER-Deep-Silver-Techland

=D

• Tei says:

I supose this is the other side of the “Wen is done” filosophy

8. Hardtarget says:

76 meg patch just hit my steam (and steam just finished downloading) so I assume this is out now

Sadly I have to go to work and can not test :(

• Juan Carlo says:

Don’t worry. It fixes nothing. All it does is remove y-clipping and render saved games corrupt so everyone has to start over.

The whole myth about this being a “dev build” is, in fact, just a myth. This seems to be exactly the version they intended to release all along.

• Hardtarget says:

well that is highly annoying :(

• k4el says:

@Juan Carlo – Actually you’re very wrong here. If you go into your steam install and look through the folders you’ll find .pdb files. These are project files used in project studio. They’re something you should NEVER see in a shipped game. The build that was available last night on steam is unquestionably and internal build that was sent by mistake.

• Malkara says:

@k4el

How dare you get in the way of his conspiracy mongering.

9. adonf says:

On a totally unrelated topic: Best. 503. Page. Ever!

10. Nemon says:

Dev Island, again.

11. Bobtree says:

I wish I’d known there’s a way to mitigate the save-progress loss: start a new game, pick your existing character file, and select the chapter you were in. Unfortunately, the patched version runs at “below normal” priority, and will set itself there even if you change it, causing the game to be very stuttery (the initial release ran fine for me).

12. mkclin says:

WOW….Top quality goods that you will like,welcome to http://bit.ly/qkDqbZ ,there can help you to play the game so easy

13. DarkByke says:

^ do you guys ban ip addresses for spammers above?

14. smoke.tetsu says:

The only thing the pic for this article needed was a single tear rolling down his cheek and it would be perfect. ;)

Kind of like the old ecological commercial with the indian crying.

15. Saiko Kila says:

Well, at least early US releases have some purpose for the rest of gaming world.

16. Nallen says:

Why not just throw out the WiT now. It must be 80% done, seems apt enough ;)

17. speedwaystar says:

i thought you meant a PROPER-RELOADED release for a second there. carry on.