Found, Linked: DXHR’s The Missing Link DLC

By Alec Meer on September 6th, 2011 at 10:18 am.

Allow me to guess: 2-3 hours of additional content for around $5

Here’s a huge news story that we somehow didn’t manage to post yet, because we’re big, silly poo-poo heads. Also, I was distracted by being stung on the eyelid by a wasp, which is something I can recommend to precisely nobody. While I was busy bellowing in horror, the Deus Ex Human Revolution DLC teased by last week’s rather inelegant ARG finally came to light. As suspected, it’s called The Missing Link, and as speculated it concerns the rather odd scene late in the main game where Adam goes on a secret journey to an unknown location. (And if you think that amounts to a spoiler for a game that’s all about mysteries, I honestly despair.)

If you haven’t gotten that far in the game, don’t read on – because more fulsome details are below. If you can’t read the rest but are itching for safe DX reading – well, how about browsing RPS cunningly rejiggered to look like one of DXHR’s in-game electro-newspapers? Top work, Nir Yomotov. Truly, his vision is augmented.

Here’s the official blurb for The Missing Link, as revealed on the DXHR site:

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution conspiracy grows deeper in The Missing Link. During Adam’s quest for the truth in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, he mysteriously vanishes for three days. Where was he? What did he find out? The Missing Link reveals it all.

After being tortured by Belltower agents and having his augmentations disabled, Adam Jensen must rely solely on his basic capabilities to escape from a freighter, destined for an unknown location. While fighting for his survival on the ship, he uncovers another layer to the conspiracy that he never would have suspected. As Adam, befriend new, mysterious allies and fight ruthless enemies to discover what was happening in the shadows during the events of Deus Ex: Human Revolution!

-New layers of conspiracy unveiled
-Sprawling new environments
-Brand-new characters to interact with
-Rebuild Adam’s augmentation set from scratch. Build up a brand new Adam!

No release date yet, but we’ll find out more ‘soon.’

I guess it’s a semi-logical point to insert a new chunk of story, as Adam’s already off-radar at that point anyway, so you’re not going to have Pritchard or Sarif commenting on what he got up to there. At a guess, it’s going to wrap up the Belltower storyline somewhat. Given he’s surely got to end up back on the freighter and in that cryo-chamber kinda thing by the end of it all, there’s a risk this might ultimately feel a little futile, but then again the option to respec Adam late in the game could be pretty handy, at least for players who wizzed through the main game and thus didn’t gain XP as thick’n'fast as more obsessive completionists such as I.

Most appealing in the list o’stuff, of course, is ‘sprawling new environments’. There’s a rumour going around that DXHR was originally intended to have more hub zones in addition to Detroit and Shanghai, but time/budget saw them dropped during development. If this reinstates one of them, I’ll be happy little post-human.

Know what I’d like to see a chunk of extra content offer? More closure for Pritchard’s story. By the end of the game, that initially snarling, silly-haired nerd and Adam were well en route to becoming top chums and confidants, but the last you hear from him is some bland advice over the radio. Plus, his pro-hacker alter-ego Nuclearsnake must have gained some knowledge of all manner of extra conspiracies the world over – whatever came of that? And did he ever manage to get that TV show commissioned?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. JackShandy says:

My hope is that the DLC level will be a single ship. Life-size.

2. JustAndrew says:

This DLC seems a little silly. In the game, when he wakes up, it sounds like nothing odd happened at all. He gets inside it, he goes to sleep I guess or thinks a lot, and comes back out. There’s nothing to indicate that anything happened.

And it seems weird to force something to happen. What does he do, get into a bunch of crazy fights on the boat during that time and heads back to the chamber to sleep, while the rest of the boat remains unaware of all of this?

There’s probably something I’m missing, or something that’ll have it make more sense. But right now it doesn’t make much.

• Gnoupi says:

Same thoughts on my part. Apparently he got severely damaged, and this pod looks like some kind of hibernation/rejuvenation thing. He doesn’t seem to realize that 3 days passed, when he contacts Pritchard.

Why would something else have happened then?

• henben says:

Maybe there will be a reason why he doesn’t tell Pritchard what happened? Perhaps Pritchard, who seems like a pretty shady, self-serving character, is selling information to Belltower. Or something. It’s not like the overall story makes much sense anyway.

• Magnetude says:

My money’s on a memory wipe. In fact, if you think about it, the way they justify the skill tree in the game is that the experience points you accumulate are literally experience that allow him to learn how to use his abilities. So wiping his memory would also wipe his ability to use his augs /speculation

• woodsey says:

“It’s not like the overall story makes much sense anyway.”

I… err… what? The main plot makes perfect sense.

And I agree, its a bit awkward, although mainly because of the time frame, if they’d said he’d gone off the grid for a week or two then it would fit more easily. Three days seems way too short – and they’re going to have to work hard for it to make sense that he just gets back in the pod he started in and have a satisfying resolution to it.

Still, the concept seems interesting. Hopefully its closer to one of those Ye Olde expansion packs.

• Magnetude says:

What kind of time frame does the game take place in anyway? It all seemed to be pretty real time, maybe a week at most. But—–

***********
      SPOILERS
      ************

In the end credit narration he talks about everything he’s done “over the last few months”. Yeah, this really isn’t that spoilery.

• abremms says:

*spoilers* its possible that they will just retcon the last 30 seconds of cutscene before he gets on the boat and have belltower grab him instead of getting on voluntarily like in the current game. that would give it a good setup for what they describe without being too akward.

• megalomania says:

I’m pretty sure the majority of game takes place over a single night. When he’s called in to deal with the hostage situation is early evening, dark outside but people are still at work, and as the game progresses Sarif HQ empties out (the receptionist leaves, for example). And at some point, well into the game, Jensen talks about having an eventful “first day back at work”, or something to that effect. So if you assume the flights don’t take that long (in fact doesn’t Malik say that explicitly?) everything from the hostage situation to getting on the boat in Hengsha is one long night, then there’s this three day gap, then a couple more hours on the Omega Ranch and in the Arctic.

When Jensen references “the last few months” at the end I think he’s referring to the prologue + the time he spent recovering + the main game.

• Josh Millard says:

I agree it’s not set up very well (“absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!” is a poor defense of plotting) but it’s also not completely unindicated: the Hanger 18 achievement acknowledges a player having located and hacked into a terminal tucked away in a corner late in the game, and that terminal has a cryptic email that directly sets up a “oh shit, there was trouble, its contained, we wiped his memory” interlude.

On the one hand, flimsy and most people will never see it. On the other hand, global conspiracies and skullduggery at the highest levels, so what other than a tiny peak past the veil of secrecy does Jensen expect to find? Etc.

• The Innocent says:

@Megalomania

Certain parts of the game take place during the daytime/morning, such as Upper Hengsha, so I think the game takes place over two days up until he goes into the glowing box.

• megalomania says:

Possibly, but then Hengsha’s half a world away from Detroit, so there’s the time difference to consider too. Honestly though, shouldn’t top-of-the-line augmented reality retinal overlays at least have a little clock in the corner? Windows 95 had that!

3. Maktaka says:

Soooo…. what’s Horace, and what makes it finite? I want in depth coverage on this breaking story!

4. Anthile says:

I really hope we get our moon mission this time.

inb4 DLC is teh evulz

“There’s a rumour going around that DXHR was originally intended to have more hub zones in addition to Detroit and Shanghai, but time/budget saw them dropped during development. If this reinstates one of them, I’ll be happy little post-human.”

I think Montreal was originally going to be a full hub but it was cut, maybe maybe because it was ultimately too similar to Detroit.

5. McDan says:

Oh goody, this sounds excellent and gives me another reason to do another no-kill playthrough, as well is it saying I killed someone in the first one. Which is just not true and bloody annoying.

6. YeOldeSnake says:

“Build up a brand new Adam!”
    This made me feel like Adam is made out of LEGO.

• Gnoupi says:

If they really take all his augs, it will be “interesting” to watch. I’m not sure about the legs, but for sure both arms were replaced.

Not sure I want to control an Adam without arms, running around.

7. MD says:

Getting stung on the eyebrow by a wasp should be your new benchmark when reviewing games. Slightly more fun than getting stung on the eyebrow by a wasp: 7/10.

8. Stellar Duck says:

Don’t care about the DLC, but that RPS rejiggered as a DEHR news paper is ace!

• Grygus says:

Yeah that is pretty sweet. If you skipped that link and are reading this comment you should scroll back up and check it out.

9. Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

My first playthrough was a “try to avoid killing people but after your third game reload it’s weapons-free”. I thought I was going to go again and get the Pacifist achievement, but when I restarted (hoping to have kept my augs, dammit) I missed the pew-pew too much, and since I didn’t want to play the same game twice, I stopped. I don’t like playing DLC after I’ve completed the game, so maybe this will be the impetus I need to make a fair crack at it.

I really missed not having lean buttons though. I mean, what stealth-shooter doesn’t have lean buttons?

10. JasPurewal says:

This isn’t the obvious choice of DLC by far. Other areas they could/should/maybe will cover:

- Links between DXHR and DX1 (complicated given potential endings but clearly not impossible, as credit video suggests)
    - Pritchard’s story
    - Sarif’s story
    - More about Hyron (unless they literally intended it to be a sort of deus ex machina, which is totally unconvincing)
    - Eliza Cassan’s story
    - Why exactly was Zhau involved in any of this? Why was she ordered to buy up other biotech companies
    - LIMB
    - Formation of the NSF
    - Other world events

I realise by the end of that list I’m getting more into unresolved plot arcs rather than actual DLC material, but you get the idea – there’s lots of other interesting stuff to explore.

• TooNu says:

If my guess is correct, there is a news article about a young man that they call an NSF terrorist. The picture is of young a blackman. I wonder if they intend on making this guy a future leader of the NSF, like the one at the top of the statue of Liberty.

There are a few mentions of the NSF in game actually. I’m sure you have spotted them.

Though your list is very good, hopefully we get some more details to these things rather than just leaving them be. Hopefully not ALL the details, I like mystery :)

11. Mainman says:

Speaking of DLC, I’ve just discovered that there’s a discrepency between retail and downloadable copies of DX:HR’s Augmented Edition.

In the US, the Explosive Mission Pack and Tactical Enhancement Pack DLCs (a mission and set of weapons, respectively) were pre-order exclusives. If you’re a Euromite, the DLCs are included in the Aug version… unless you buy it directly from Steam. After diving through this thread, it appears that the Steam version used to promise this content (when pre-orders first opened) on the Store page, but Squeenix scrubbed any mention of them around the time the TF2 tie-in promotion began. All your extra £10 gets you now is the downloadable art, music and videos.

According to the same thread, the publishers reserve the right to change promotions and exclusive content however they damn well please without warning, and will tell you to re-buy the game at retail if you want 100% of the game you (Steam customers) have paid for. No idea how succesfull you’ll be if you ask for a refund, but I hope that enough angry voices can turn the situation on its head and get the content deployed to those who rightly thought they were paying for it.

12. arrjayjee says:

While I don’t mind prequel or sequel DLC that ties in to the beginning or end of a game, having DLC that takes place *in the middle* seems a bit…not cool.

13. TooNu says:

Deus Ex extra content is an obvious buy. I’ve clocked 70+ hours on DXHR and I ain’t stopping!

Here is how I think it will pan out:
    Waking up on a boat, walking around said boat knocking people out, hacking, hacking, hacking, NOT disturbing the captain but locking him and his team on the bridge, then baricading the doors up with vending machines, disabling communications to and from the bridge, respec my augmentations, chill at the bar, eat some peanuts, make some nice dinner, have a couple more drinks, watch a movie, more drinks, have a nap and a shower, shit in the shower, find a new room, have a nap, make some breakfast, dance in the disco, watch another movie, eat more peanuts, have more drinks, sun bathe and have more drinks, vomit into a toilet, have a nap, wake up, have dinner, have some water, watch a movie and sleep half way through it, wake up and have some breakfast, get back into the cryo-pod, sleep, wake up at the Omega Ranch and pretend that I knew nothing happened over the last 3 days.

I think that’s all very likely.

14. hermpesaurusrex says:

I would like some clarification on why Adam decided to take a snooze in the random ass crytube thingy in the first place. When that happened my brain kinda went “ungh?” He’s all like, oh look, a random life support machine in a skeevy port in China, I’m tired and had better take a nap. It just didn’t make sense to me at all.

15. Alan Alda says:

This will be the point the Illuminati gets its hands on Jensen in order to clone him, leading to the creation of the Jensen Clones – JC and Paul. At a guess, they somehow wipe his memory when they’re done.

Comment on this story