Wot You Think: Space Marine

By Alec Meer on September 6th, 2011 at 2:52 pm.

In the grim darkness of the 41st millenium, there are no oceans

Relic’s orkshoot came out today for people who happen to live in North America, but a mysterious and intractably evil force is preventing exactly the same collection of ones and zeroes from unlocking on PCs in other parts of the world. We’re not expecting Space Marine review code ourselves until a bit later this week – instead of being allowed access to the version already live across the pond – and, mysteriously and worryingly, no American reviews have been posted yet. Hmm.

So, in the hope of offering some kind of buyer’s advice for folk the world over, let’s hear what you reckon to the stompy-stompy adventures of Ian Ultramarine. I dug the hell out of the demo, but what I don’t know is whether the grimdark laughter would be able to sustain itself across a full game. The discovery that I must wait a few more days to find out means I’m currently make a face like a genestealer chewing a toffee.

Obviously this is only hearsay that I can’t speak for myself, but early forum reports I’ve been reading are suggesting that Space Marine is agreeably bloody and all-out, but extremely and sometimes annoyingly repetitive, akin to the demo on loop. That’s an allegation which would be sad and strange if true given the game’s long gestation, but presumably no-one’s that far through it yet so maybe more and better is yet to come. Anyone able to confirm or deny these suggestions?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Tyshalle says:

What’s this game, now?

• Calneon says:

No idea, looks like it’s ripping off Gears and Starcraft to me though :S.

• tehnomad says:

It’s a third-person shooter based on the Warhammer 40,000 universe, which actually was the influence for Starcraft.

• Starky says:

I think someone needs to recalibrate his sarcasm aug.

• We win says:

@Calneon: Nailed it.

• Felixader says:

From the Demo it actually looked a bit more like a brawler to me.

TheTourist314 says:

“Warhammer 40,000 (informally known as Warhammer 40K or simply 40K) is a tabletop miniature wargame produced by Games Workshop, set in a dystopian science fantasy universe. Warhammer 40,000 was created by Rick Priestley and Andy Chambers in 1987 as the futuristic companion to Warhammer Fantasy Battle, sharing many game mechanics.”

Oh shit. You know what this means? Blizzard and Epic games invented time machines and have been holding out on us THE ENTIRE TIME.

MEN, GRAB YOUR PITCHFORKS!

• Eclipse says:

“No idea, looks like it’s ripping off Gears and Starcraft to me though :S”

Not sure if serious.
      How is a Warhammer game a rip-off of two franchises that clearly took a lot directly from Warhammer?
      Oh and the game is much better than Gears of War, that game is the worst thing Epic ever did, counting even Dare to Dream on the list.

• Syra says:

Trolled

• Zepp says:

its too easy to troll space marines, ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS! (rule)

• Bonedwarf says:

Replying here as I wanted this early on in the thread to warn folk…

Game has SERIOUS graphical issues for some people. The demo had texture flickering which could be solved by forcing AA and AF off for your card. Those issues have gotten much worse.

This fix no longer works. People have either not loading at all, to completely black screen, models broken (one person only has eyes appearing), and the texture flickering is brutal.

No fix has worked so far. Very disappointed as I’ve been so psyched for this game, but it’s largely unplayable for a lot of people.

Crap like THIS is why people go to the consoles. I’ve certainly had a harsh reminder of why I never buy mainstream PC games on release day… *sigh*

Anyway, if it works, it’s great. But serious graphic issues have rendered (haha!) it quite horrid at the moment.

Caveat emptor.

Edit: After a couple of hours I DID find a fix, and it’s very bizarre.

If you load a YouTube video, play and pause it, then load the game, no flickering. No I have no idea why, but it cured my issues. So huzzah!

Sorry you lot have to wait until Friday.

• P4p3Rc1iP says:

Are you running Windows XP by any chance? Sounds like this game is somehow rendered in a video layer that I don’t know much about.

Try taking a screenshot of a video playing without any other windows open and then paste it in MS paint; The video keeps playing in MS paint or you get a black screen. I heard they fixed in Windows 7 (Not sure about Vista).

Oh, Google says the video thing is due to hardware acceleration. I don’t know much about the technical stuff behind this, but it seems plausible.

2. amorpheous says:

Eerie silence.

3. johnpeat says:

If it contains the same level of crazyness that the demo did, it can be as repetitive as it damned-well likes :)

My ONLY complaint with the demo was the slightly limp voicework – the game itself appeared to be a shitload of fun and utterly WAR

I speak only for my single-player ambitions ofc – whether it will please the shady oddballs who crave endless multiplayer is another matter entirely…

• Mr_Hands says:

I had a blast with the (rather brief) demo. I can totally see how the combat would seem repetitive: Enter room/area, see hordes of dudes. Kill hordes of dudes in a bunch of different, but still kinda samey ways. Move on to next area.

Now, the combat is satisfying as hell. Spamming execution kills seems entirely too viable, but it still falls apart if you come up against a mini-boss. Jetpack section was batshit insane/amazing, but short as fuck.

Multiplayer could be amazing if jetpacks are allowed (and not some time-limited powerup.) Sniper rifle feels the way all sniper rifles should feel, forever.

Also, the checkpointing seems a little wonky.

I was really looking forward to this game, and it’s a shame that the demo actually convinced me to wait to get this game. (Largely a cash flow thing, though.)

• Scroll says:

Jet packs have the same recharge rate in the mp but you always wear them as the assualt class. They are indeed awesome, and miss calculated jumps can be hilarious as well.

4. abraxas says:

I can sort of kind of confirm that, while being extremely fun for a Warham like myself, it is extremely repetetive. The game might as well have been called “WH40K: Space Marine: The Lift riding simulator”. The amounts of identical lifts I’ve ridden up and down and all around is mindboggling.

On top of that, there are sometimes long stretches of identical (and worst of all, void of enemies) hallways that you run through for.. well, no reason I could discern at least. You just run from one objective to the next without shooting or stabbing or sawing at anything. And it’s not even so you can look at particularly impressive setpieces. It’s just you running through 4 identical hallways that feel endless until you finally arrive.

As I said, as a WH40K nerd par excellance, I’m loving it but there is no hiding the fact that it is, as you put it, sometimes annoyingly repetetive.

• Drac40k says:

I agree. But I don’t care about it’s flaws. It is awesome.

5. Joe Maley says:

I’ve only played the multiplayer so far, it’s fun. You can tell it’s had a lot more work done to it than most games who just slosh a multiplayer portion on at the end, and then it usually is extremely buggy and boring (see Bulletstorm, Dead Space 2, etc).

That being said, the multiplayer won’t last very long. It has some COD-style class creation (with many less weapons and perks to choose from), some GOW still gameplay (in the sense that it is a bunch of giant meatheads firing dog-sized bullets at each other). But overall, there’s not much strategy to it. It was pretty much just a bunch of standing around and then unloading weapons on each other until someone died by a slight margin over the other.

6. Belsameth says:

It’s out in the rest of europe as well. Or, at least, in the netherlands. It seems like only the UK got shafted. That’s what you get for clinging to an aging imperial system and driving on the left.

Not played enough to actually form an opinion on the repetitiveness, but the first mission so far is excelent!

• timmyvos says:

And the atrocity that is haggis. Especially haggis!

• Rohrmann says:

dude haggis is a treat compared to those sausages and baked beans…don’t blame the scots they gave us scotch and tv

Lambchops says:

You leave my haggis alone sunshine!

Oh wait, you are aren’t you . . . lets try that again.

Continue to leave my haggis alone you uncouth Sassenach!

There, that’s better.

Oh you’re Dutch are you, well that’s as good as English in my eyes!

• Tams80 says:

I tell you, driving on the right hand side of the road is most stupid idea ever.

• Ian says:

LEFT IS BEST.

Just because we’re in the minority does mean we’re wrong.

So there! :(

• godgoo says:

I say this genuinely an as a Southern Englishman; a good haggis is hard to beat… mmm…

• Danarchist says:

My Da’ always used to say “Haggis was invented because a true Scotsman is too cheap to buy decent spices!”

• mondomau says:

@ Rohrmann : And the banking crisis. So thanks for that. :P

I find it a bit ironic that it’s the UK of all places that’s getting the shaft this time around, what with Warhammer creators Games Workshop being as British as you get. Bizarre. Mind you, GW fans are probably used to getting treated like shit. Amirite?

• Tyranny says:

Haggis is really delicious. Especially a haggis supper, deep fried with chips. Italian-Glaswegians really know how to fry stuff.

Don’t be so drearily squeamish, haggis-haters.

• P4p3Rc1iP says:

Right is right, left is wrong. I do like haggis though, and I’m a Dutchman.

• bill says:

Actually, a majority of the world drives on the left!

Does the UK still use the imperial system?

7. Dirtyboy says:

I’ve had some of the most epic fights in the campaign. Jetpack plus the hammer is pure bliss.

8. Dana says:

I didnt liked it. Combat seems spammy, execution mechanic flawed, shooting meh.

If it wasn’t WH40k I wouldnt even touch it.

• Binho says:

Yeah, big 40k fan but didn’t like it either. Played the demo, thought the melee was annoying and agree that the execution mechanic is flawed.

I hated how every third chainsword stroke your character shot forward in a randomn direction. There is nothing worse than a game taking control from you to play an animation – and having that animation place you in a position you didn’t want to be.

And I didn’t like the lag between pressing a button on my mouse/keyboard, and an action being executed (No, I wasn’t having FPS lag either. Was running flawless).

Really wanted to like it though :(

• iniudan says:

Actually the control is not random on which direction you go when you attack, it depend on where you aim at, just need to learn the timing, you can basically do the strike in the direction you want to.

Has for combat been spammy, on hard if you spam you die, period.

9. Eynonz says:

Played the demo….. the amount of blood was just…………………GLORIOUS!!!!

10. Radiant says:

Please be good!

11. Isheh says:

I want to order on steam and preorder, but no. Also have to wait 3 more days for the traditional release date seriously, common sense please.

Gundato says:

I’ll be giving this a proper go later tonight (America time :p), but based on the demo, I think I will love it. I am not saying this is going to be an amazing game, but I like 40k.

Sort of like when I try and explain 40k (specifically, Last Stand in DoW2) to my sister. She asks such heretical questions as “is there a plot?” or “Isn’t this repetitive?” or “So all you are doing is clicking and periodically hitting a single keyboard button to teleport your green guy?”
    And all are very valid complaints. And all have the same response “But… Shooty death and Orkzes and Space Marines…”

So yeah, I don’t see many non-40k (specifically, Relic’s take on it) fans liking this game. But who cares? :p

[edit] Also, for those who didn’t play the demo: Even if you hate it, keep going until you find a power axe or something else that isn’t a chainsword. Game gets a lot more fun[/edit]

13. Quizboy says:

I actually just bought this a minute ago and am having to restrain myself from doing the VPN trick to unlock it now. It’s funny – I was kind of ambivalent about the demo when I first played it, but it started me on a bit of a rediscovering-40k adventure this week, and now I’m mad excited for it. Shame it’s the Ultramehrens, though. When you can take ‘being a gigantic stompy brainwashed religious zealot with shoulder pads five times the size of your head’ and make it sort of boring, you know you’re in the Ultramarines.

• Trashcanman says:

Why not do the VPN trick? You bought and paid for it.

• Enzo says:

Can the Steam ban people that use the VPN trick?

• Quizboy says:

Why not do the VPN trick? You bought and paid for it.

It’s probably irrational paranoia, but I have nightmare visions of waking in the middle of the night to find Gabe standing at the bottom of my bed. ‘You’re not in America!’ he’ll whisper, advancing silently. ‘You’re not in America at all…’

(Honestly, it’s two days to wait and I’ve got Xenoblade to tide me over, let alone actual non-videogame things I probably won’t get done if mashing Orks instead becomes an option.)

• abraxas says:

To be fair, the Ultramarines are the “most accessible” chapter of all the crazy Space Dudes out there and Relic has gone on record to say that they want this game to sort of be an introduction into the WH40K universe to people who have never heard of or seen it before (heretical, I know).

I think for that the Ultramarines are a good choice without confronting a total newbie with crazy space vampires or space lycanthropes or whatever the hell other insane things WH40K has to offer. Let’s hope they go with a more out there approach for some DLC or the second part or whatnot.

Durkonkell says:

One of the early scenes in Concerned – Combine police bludgeoning people and shouting “Your steam account is suspended!”

That’s why.

• Quizboy says:

I really want an expansion where you fight against the Tau now.

‘Captain, by parking their infernal transports end-on-end these xenos filth have utterly stymied our ability to retaliate!’

• Quizboy says:

My dream 40k game is still something with you playing as a Commissar or Inquisitor on huge, messy, sprawling battlefields. I love the idea of specifically not being the big save-the-day-alone hero, but having to selectively shoot and sneak your way through total chaos with a small retinue in order to fulfil your own objectives – say, retrieving information from a bunker before the Tyranids overrun it, capturing a specific Eldar, etc – while inspiring your own side by taking on notable enemies in your path, shooting deserters, clearing the way for medics and so on. The battle as a great big dynamic level, really- with branching outcomes for an Imperial win or loss, and similarly, negative outcomes for spending so much time helping the Guard win the day that you forget about your (much more important than the lives of a few hundred Guardsmen, naturally) actual mission.

Give me that, with lots of added conversation and adventure bits, pushing around planetary governors and being unwelcome on Chapter worlds and so on while chasing down some Imperium-shaking mystery, the ability to be a hardliner and execute potential heretics versus being a radical and recruiting potentially untrustworthy but useful characters into your retinue, and I’m so there.

• Brise Bonbons says:

@Quizboy:

Your dream game is exactly what I thought this game should have been, and what I was hoping for.

As it is, the demo left me feeling very ambivalent. While it was fun in its way, I thought it completely missed the point of “being a Space Marine”: Where are the big battles? Why aren’t I standing in the middle of 200 dead Imperial Guardsmen, holding the line against endless waves of green mans on an open battlefield? Hell, where is the rest of my squad?? Why aren’t I assigning them different weapons and items to adjust to the situation? Oh, I see; it seems *I* have all the weapons myself, and my squad mates (all 2 of them) are nearly useless…

I feel like this game really should have been “Warhammer 40K: Inquisitor”. The small retinue of useless guys would make sense. The solo insertion onto a planet would make sense. Having tons of weapons and gadgets for my own use would make sense…

Ah well. For now my hopes are directed to the 40K MMO. I’m ready to see someone other than Relic take a stab at the universe. Ever since Dawn of War 2 moved away from huge battles and towards this bizarro 3-man Space Marine squad universe, I just haven’t found their vision and direction meshing with mine.

14. JackShandy says:

Naught but rot, rubbish, and desperate tedium. Having just perused the demo of “Arse Marine” I wish I’d just left it there. It’s so bad I also pre-ordered a physical copy just for the pleasure of burning it.

I can’t help but remember Pope Innocent X’s words on the Treaty of Westphalia–this game is “Null, void, invalid, iniquitous, unjust, damnable, reprobate, inane, and devoid of meaning for all time.”

Purchase not this monstrous shite.

• Doesntmeananything says:

Okay.

• Burning Man says:

*blinks repeatedly*

Lars Westergren says:

Yikes. The normally calm and jocular JackShandy suddenly goes off the deep end. I’ll join Burning Man in some stunned blinking.

It’s going to be interesting to read some more reviews.

• Bcoolbyte says:

I had a similar reaction to the demo. It was a very poor-man’s Gears of War. Not that I’m insinuating that Epic ripped off the whole Space Marine concept; everyone knows Blizzard invented that.

And as a politics student, I appreciated the reference to the Treaty of Westphalia.

• Sinkytown says:

First impressions, having played the Xbox demo: The conceit of executing to heal provides a great sense of rhythm. The gunplay feels redundant. Melee combat has superb weight and friction and the Stalker Bolter is a treat (as mentioned above).

Just a few concerns as to the depth of the mechanics and level design: Bayonetta/Godhand this is not.

Relic trying their hand at a brawler evokes Creative Assembly’s Spartan: Total Warrior, which is pretty much the sharpest western developed action game.

• JackShandy says:

April fools, guys, Space Marine is the best game ever.

Jackablade says:

I must admit I got distracted and then lost all interest before I finished the first of the two levels in the demo. I don’t think it’s a terribly terrible game, just one that doesn’t particularly appeal to me.

16. DethonRells says:

The execution mechanic isn’t flawed at all. You’re all just terrible at killing things. You have to stun things first, and then you can execute. It works -every time-, and if it doesn’t work for you then learn to kill better.

Personally, I am enjoying the hell out of this game. The multiplayer is great fun, and you can tell that it’s not some half-assed MP addition. Haven’t played the campaign yet because I’ve been two busy dive-bombing the crap out of devastators and tactical marines.

Also, chainsword’n things in their stupid faces.

• sneetch says:

Reply fail, but while I’m here: when they say it’s flawed I don’t think they mean “it doesn’t work some of the time” I think they’re referring to the fact that it removes control from your character to play the execution animation taking you out of the game and/or that the idea of only getting health back through this mechanism is a bit broken.

17. scorcher24 says:

I live in Germany and it is out here too today. Played the whole night :D.
    I have a blast with it!
    Killing Orcs is fun and the Warhammer Universe is represented well, as well as your status as Captain of the Space Marine. Imperials fall to their Knees when you walk by them or salute.
    The MP is very intense. Really nice Job Relic.
    Only thing that disturbs me, is the sound lag partially. I hope that gets adressed.

18. Javier-de-Ass says:

played the ps3 demo last night, no idea about the pc port. seemed like an ok effort for what it is. but you have to go in knowing it’s a gears of war clone type of game, with some slightly more interesting close quarters combat going for it over gears of war. not the kind of game I would ever buy, but some people might like it. no idea. wish they could make a space hulk or other scenario “boardgame” videogame that looks like this. this scripted shooting corridor shit is not worth my time.

• DethonRells says:

“but you have to go in knowing it’s a gears of war clone type of game…”

Why would you discredit yourself so viciously and so early in your own comment?

AlwaysRight says:

Allow me to paraphrase:

“I play consoles, I don’t understand what this game is about, Im making pointless statements, my personal hygene is questionable.”

I (AlwaysRight) however am an intellectual titan, I have the body of an adonis and my sweat smells of expensive cologne.

19. Jim9137 says:

Personally, I have been a distant fan of WH40k for some time, and I have to admit the demo did not impress me as much as the Dawn of War originally did. The demo had definitely its moments, but frankly I feel Relic keeps missing the essence of the WH40k. The “horde” at the end felt miniscule, and the bolter while having some thump did not live up to its fame. Not to mention it did not succeed in grasping the megalomaniac tendencies of the imperium of man (such as nuking whole colonies and star systems just because of few heretics), and even included a bit where IG (which should number in hundreds and thousands, equipped with an useless laser rifle against far superior foes) lamented at how they luckily found civilians in a pipehile. If the Commissar had been around, he surely would have tossed in a nuke from orbit.

I agree that above is all subjective opinion and quite irrelevant to the game itself, but having detached myself from fanboying the universe, I felt the same familiar pangs of endless grind that I have not felt since the times of action platforming on PS1. That sorrowful grey, harrowing feel of knowing that despite that marginally hard but endlessly frustrating spot, the game only offers more, perhaps marginally more frustrating and harrowing spots in exchange for bits of dialogue and flashes of an actual plot, that I felt that Space Marine could not deliver the freehanded action and carnage I craved from it. Indeed, the only reason I am interested would be the multiplayer, but I cannot imagine the co-op being interesting when the levels are pipelined and the only part that includes coordination is in the direction you shoot (ie. not in your friend’s back). And even, while the mechanics themselves are functional, they are nothing more than that. Even close combat seems like a wildly flailing affair, where you have so precious little control over how far you dash and what moves you make, and with all the orks sliding around you from all sides it is also endlessly frustrating. I gleaned a glimpse of perhaps tactics in the way you have to “stun” people to “execute” them, as you have to use the bigger stun moves for the bigger orks, but when one of those bigger orks can smash you into bits with one swing (and you cannot say, flank them or even block it) it seems a pointless affair, when you can simply shoot with your bolter.

And the bolter. Why does the biggest, meanest gun of the 41st century, a gun that mere humans have to have a platform for and manned by three, a gun that is filled with bullets the thickness of a leg and with enough velocity to slice through mere tanks, feel like an ordinary M16 rifle from an ordinary FPS that may or may not have the word ‘Call’ or ‘Battle” in their names? Why cannot I swimply sweep aside that miniscule “horde” at the end of the demo with one clip of the gun, only to be flooded with fifteen others from all directions, as that would epitome the hopeless dystopia where only bigger guns matter, and the fact that the green orks don’t number in mere billions, but in unpronouncable illions after that?

In short, I am saddened that Relic didn’t leap forward with their handling of the IP. I could forgive them in DoW for their smallscale battles and silly handling of the world, but if Space Hulk managed to bring me closer to the hopeless feel of being a super soldier for the Mankind in 41st century than Space Marine did, I lose faith. And when I lose faith, I am nothing. I am a heretic.

• Sheng-ji says:

And the bolter. Why does the biggest, meanest gun of the 41st century, a gun that mere humans have to have a platform for and manned by three, a gun that is filled with bullets the thickness of a leg and with enough velocity to slice through mere tanks.

I think you’re thinking of the heavy bolter there, which wasn’t in the demo – ordinary humans use the same bolter which was in the demo, and it don’t slice through tanks or have bullets the thickness of legs.

EDIT – I know I sound like a fanboi idiot… just too pedantic for my own good.

• Nalano says:

• Echo Black says:

“Why does the bolter, a full-auto mini-rocket launcher that slices through tanks, feel like a regular assault rifle?

Because the person wielding it is ten feet fall, has tertiary redundancy in his vital organs, and is made of badass.”

The effect on regular Orks is what undersells the gun. Though I suppose making it faithful to lore would make the game too easy (or maybe it’d need a different kind of gameplay, or Serious Sam-large hordes rushing the player).

I’m not too familiar with WH lore and my memory is fuzzy, but isn’t the bolter pretty much a guaranteed kill on anything that fails the save on the tabletop? Even other Space Marines.

• Starky says:

I think you seriously under-estimate how truly tough Orks are – they are notoriously tough bastards to kill. Their skin is think enough to be basically bullet proof to conventional projectiles. They can survive beheading (if their head is reattached to their body in a reasonable time), lose whole limbs and keep fighting, and the largest orks are as tough as space marines in terminator armour. They can be cyborg enhanced to be able to survive direct shots from tank killing weapons.

Seriously a normal gun, at least anything short of maybe 50cal would have about as much effect on an ork, as a paintball gun would on a armoured human.

So it is about right that a bolter would have about the same effect on an ork, as a assault rifle would have on a human.

Oh and a bolter never did slice through tanks – tanks in 40k can easily survive a whole squad of marines firing bolters at it – if you want talk killing you need a lascannon, a missile launcher or maybe a lucky hit with a plasma weapon.

• Quizboy says:

In rules terms your standard Bolter – once you’ve actually hit something with it – only has a 50/50 chance of wounding a bog-standard Ork badly enough to put him out of action if his (admittedly crap) armour doesn’t protect him (a 1-in-6 chance if he’s not in cover or anything). It can’t even rapid fire over longer distances: it’s limited to single shots (although I’d assume this is the rules representing full-auto fire over long distances being so inaccurate as to be pointless rather than a hard range limitation). Compared to some sort of assault rifle shooting a human today, a bolter vs an ork is probably actually somewhat less deadly.

I think the ‘hand-held rocket launcher’ description oversells bolters a bit – they’re monsters compared to real weapons, but stuff on 40k battlefields is tough. And short of those hilariously shitty little Grot tankette things, you’d be lucky to do more than chip a proper vehicle’s paintwork with one.

• mondomau says:

Yes, there is (and has been for the last 10 years or so) a huge discrepancy between the demi-god, rocket-launcher-armed Marines in the WH40 background fiction and the slightly-above-average armoured infantry on the tabletop. There was even a joke set of rules published way back that gave the tabletop marines stats that correlated with their fiction. You needed like, five, to take on a whole opposing army. Good times.

• Starky says:

Indeed – that is true of everything 40k though really – I mean lets face it, if all 40k fiction followed the Ork fiction-fluff to it’s logical conclusion, orks would have overrun the entire universe by now, crushing every single race with sheer numbers and ability to regenerate those numbers. maybe only Tyranids can match orks in that respect, and that is doubtful due to their reliance on their hive, and hive control.

I remember those jokes rules, they were funny, a mate and me actually played them, but I did some rules that properly represented Orks from fiction too, I think I dropped a basic Ork down to 15 points, and upped the squad limit to 60 with a few other changes.

Made for an amusing game though, my 300+ orks (I actually had 200 models on the table, but I kept re-enforcing using dead ones) swarming 25 super-marines.

I lost too, at the end my friend had 3 marines left standing – 2 of them on their last wound.

• Jim9137 says:

I admit; I am so rusty with current 40k fluff and the past one that I exaggerated. Yet still I cannot for life of me remember IG ever fielding a bolter, and I remember phrases where it was said that only the space marines with their augmented bodies could wield them properly (and when I spoke fo tanks, I referred to modern, current tanks). And I also understand that orks are supposed to be superhuman, tough as cockroaches to kill, but it also wonderfully misses the point: why do orks simply nod and carry on moving when I fire at them? Why don’t their limbs tear from a shot, and they still come with a characteristic WAAAGGHH! (that is sorely lacking in all Relic’s games) while holding their paralyzed arm, with a shoota slugging shells randomly due to muscle spasming fingers? Would this not be close to the ideal of what an Ork is supposed to be, rather than nodding silently and then spinning like a russian ballerina and dying?

Indeed, I feel my biggest regret with this title is that instead of truly gorging themselves in the wholesome “we die but we march on” idealogy of WH40k universe, and especially with the portrayal of orks, the game simply missed a golden opportunity. Without having played GoW titles myself, even they seem to relish more with hopeless odds and demigod players (whom could be portrayed closer to the lore) than the game that is based on the tabletop that coined, took it as its own, and perfected the whole concept of dying without mercy.

Also, the chainsaws don’t even buzz. Bollocks.

• Nalano says:

@ Starky

Sounds like a hilarious game.

Now, I know bolters don’t scratch the paint on WH40k tanks, but on tanks of the now, they’d do some serious damage.

• Starky says:

@ Jim

I have to admit that would be fucking awesome to see, and would be so true to what Orks are.

It would be cool if you dismember orks, if you could shoot the choppa holding arm off an Ork, which he’d then pick up and use the severed arm as the handle for the choppa (which is still gripped in the dismembered hand).

Sadly not many games are going to go into that level of depth for the cannon fodder enemies – hell I doubt that the consoles could handle that level of animation, and AI coding when applied to that many enemies. It would increase the required model detail by probably double.

I agree it is a wasted opportunity, but it’s not a game breaking loss imo.

• aircool says:

I can remember when Space Marines had a Toughness of 3…

20. evilmatt says:

Relic claimed via a designer on Twitter that it supported multi-monitor resolutions, and whilst the graphics engine does, the HUD, cutscenes and menus don’t scale properly leading to unwatchable cutscenes and the ammo counter/ultramine symbol thing being almost half a screen wide each! And all this after Relic did a good job on multimonitor support with DoW2, very disappointing :(

21. gr0undzer0 says:

I had first thought to wait and buy this when it went on sale but the demo nearly changed my mind and the addition of online co-op sealed the deal. It may or may not be repetitive but I wouldn’t know because I was having to much fun.

22. Jinkeez says:

I wish I could’ve played more than an hour before I needed to get to sleep. Stupid work.

This game is terrific and fun and stompy. There’s also some very well-done, subtle details that really add to the atmosphere–seeing the exhausted, battered Imperial Guardsmen stand up as you stride into view; hearing renewed hope in their voices, because here you stand, proof that all is not lost. I even heard one, crumpled against a wall, weakly say, “I got to see a Space Marine before the end… Thank the God Emperor.” So cool.

• H.P Kraftwerk says:

I heard that too, really put me in the mood to stomp faces even more, for the little guy.

All in all, the game is EPIC, Relic did a really good job of making everything have just that little more… ooomph.

23. unangbangkay says:

My Steam download is 6 hours from completion, so I can only speak as to the demo, but I loved it. All the bombast and ridiculousness of 40k Space Marines puts it way beyond the bizarre Gears of War and Halo comparisons. These are THE Space Marines, and there’s no way anyone will mistake them for anyone else.

That said, a couple of concerns came up during the demo stages, particularly with regard to performing executions as health regeneration. Besides usual health the game has recharging “shields” (justified as the auto-repair function of Space Marine armor) that keep you from dying when your base health is low, but you can still be damaged during the execute animation, which means that when low on health it’s best to back off and wait for the shield to recharge before looking for some poor sod to execute.

But at the same time that can be a problem when taking on enemies that won’t be stunned immediately (like the bigger Orks and whatnot), because THEIR attacks can knock aside enemies that YOU’VE been setting up for an execution. Add to that the usual 50/50 split between having to melee and having to use ranged attacks (which don’t regenerate health), taking on a crowd while still being shot at can lead to death, even on easy mode, which encourages a more conservative style of play than what Relic has been pushing.

So despite the bragging about how REAL 7-foot-tall armored fascists don’t cower behind corners, sometimes you’ll HAVE to. I suppose it’s challenging and realistic, but it cuts a little into the whole power fantasy thing.

• unangbangkay says:

As to the “repetitiveness” complaint, I don’t find it any more or less repetitive than, say, Gears of War. A vehicle sequence does not variety make.

Then again, I AM a big fan of those Dynasty Warriors games located on the console toys. Take that as you will.

On a side not, I hear complaints about repetitiveness far more often when the game at hand is one that heavily features melee combat as opposed to manshooting. Coincidence?

mcnostril says:

I disagree. EDIT: to be clear, I disagree with the original post, I share the opinion that melee games tend to get that ‘repetitive’ label more often, curiously enough.

I’m playing on hard, and I’ve never really had to cower around corners (I haven’t come up with certain disloyal spesh mareens yet though). Every room becomes an exercise in crowd management, and figuring out the optimal timing to get those executions in or use fury. You feel way more like an astartes when you triumph without falling back behind cover (and those executions that bring you back from the brink of death become immensely satisfying). There’s only one enemy type that has me backpedaling, and that’s the squigs from the demo because on hard they can one-shot you if your shields are damaged.

I can understand the repetitiveness complaints, but personally I play this kind of game FOR the repetitiveness. What I mean is, I find the core gameplay of sawing up orks to be enjoyable to the point where all I’m really asking for is escalating fights and perhaps a few set-pieces sprinkled in there, and so far the game has delivered. Is it repetitive? Yes, but it’s a bloody fighting game. You fight things over and over, and I feel the game has enough variety to keep it somewhat fresh, but there’s only so much that can be done with that formula, especially considering that Relic seem to have gone a bit more on the casual side of fighting gameplay (as opposed to, say, Ninja Gaiden).
      On top of that, the visuals and audio are totally nerdgasmic. 40k come to life in a way that it hasn’t been before. The opening levels have the words “epic” embossed on every surface, in gold plating, while a viking does a kickass solo with an axe guitar on the skull of a giant. It doesn’t have the over the top monsters of a god of war in terms of size, but the scale of everything is unmistakably 40k (with perhaps a couple of exceptions) and that is absolutely awesome.

24. Nalano says:

I played a couple hours last night. Weird difficulty curves. Too easy too easy too easy too hard.

Fun, tho.

25. Syra says:

The lack of reviews from all over the world even post release is extremely damning. I’ve preordered ofc and loved the demo to pieces and won’t regret it, but I can see the flaws already, and I know how reviewers will pick it apart. Such a shame because we NEED more games based on this great license, and this game has so much potential.

• almostDead says:

Not only more games, but more movies or tv or animated series. I have often wondered why GW don’t license out or oversee an animated 40K series. Maybe the market is too small for the required resource and time to make a profit. Plus it would really need to be 18 to be realistic enough for me. Never a good start. I saw an animated Ultramarines one a while back, and it had real known voice actors and stuff, but was quite basic animation.

Plus- if it really was that damning, they wouldn’t have released a demo; to anyone.

• unangbangkay says:

Or there could be, y’know, AN EMBARGO.

• almostDead says:

Well educate me. How exactly does this global conspiracy embargo work?

• m3metix says:

I don’t think the lack of reviews is damning. It just indicates that THQ needs to learn how to market better and that release day embargoes are bad policy. From the hour I’ve played so far, and from reading plenty of people’s impressions, it’s clear this is not a bad game. While it’s unlikely to get a bunch of 10/10 scores, I’ll be surprised if there are more than a handful of negative reviews.

EDIT: It seems that review copies may not have been sent out early, which would make an embargo moot. It also means that THQ really have their head up their ass.

@almostDead:
      THQ says: “Don’t put up your reviews until noon EST on Sep. 6.”
      Gaming sites say: “Yes, massah.”

Most big-name gaming sites rely on early/exclusive access to games and will do what publishers want to maintain that access. In this case I wish they had all just said “Fuck you!” to THQ and put their reviews up. The problem is that if one site decides to hold back their review then everyone else is (probably) screwed, since THQ can just decide to cut off access to everyone who broke the embargo.

• mejoff says:

@almostDead

Gaunt’s Ghosts is so much Sharpe IN SPACE that it would be really natural to bring it to the screen in the same way. It wouldn’t even need an amzingly expensive production, a Dr Who budget and a decent repeatable way of CGing huge battles in the background would do it.

• cosmicolor says:

(this was aimed at almostDead)

Apparently the reason why there aren’t more Warhammer video games, movies etc is because Games Workshop are stunningly paranoid about them cutting into sales of their plastic figures. If the Something Awful thread on this game is to be believed, GW get around 80% of their profit from paint for the figures.

Feel free to correct me if I’ve got bad information here.

• almostDead says:

If only there was a 40K freak at HBO. After seeing what they did with spawn. I don’t think I would prefer a live action attempt at 40K, but 3d animation might not be feasable either. Too niche an audience, plus you just can’t rely on nerds alone to give you bank payback.

I am sure you are right about GW. They are probably happy about how much they have licensed already.

• Syra says:

Well as is often the case with movie and game embargoes being held until post release of the game, the publisher feels that it will generate unfavourable press to allow mediocre reviews through…

What’s this, Eurogamer gave it a 6/10. Yeah that is what I expected and implied from my post.

Also GW are fiercly protective of their IP, to a ridiculous degree…and then they let something like Ultramarines through the gate and make all the loyal fans facepalm at something which looked like a half-life mod from 2001 with fancy voiceovers.

If anything more publicity will generate interest in their tabletop game and they will hugely benefit.

Daiv says:

I played for an hour before beddy-byes.

Here’s my Wot I Think:

RRrrrrAAAAAARRRgh. HHHNNNNNRRRRGHHHHHH!! BLAM BLAM BLAM URgh. WAAAAAAARGH! Ftow! BOOOOOM! FOR THE EMPEROR! AaaaaaiIIIEEEEEEE!!! Vrrrmmmm! Vrrrmmmmmm! R-r-r-r-r-r-r-rRAAAAAAOOOOOOOWWWWW! Splutch.

27. Gundrea says:

Where are all the bloody Techpriests?

harvb says:

I’ve only played the demo and really didn’t like it. I found it to be repetitive with lots and lots of button mashing. For my money it’s too console-y and just… cheap. The whole time I was playing it I wanted to be playing something else. No, it’s not for me, sorry to say.

29. Shortwave says:

I loved the demo on this, blew me away and totally sold me.
    A gears of war for the PC but better if you ask me..

As for people saying the combat was repetitive..
    Check out the moves list.. Theres really quite a bit more you can do.
    And that was just demo, but I suppose it’s pretty easy to just spam click.

30. cosmicolor says:

Having played the demo I can understand the accusations of repetitiveness, especially with the melee combat, which only changes when you find new weapons. I don’t think there’s a way to get access to new strings without finding new weapons either.

Still looking forward to this from the demo, though, combat does have great “impact” to it.

31. mejoff says:

Playing the demo, I had great fun, but I was waiting for it to show me one good reason why I coudn’t play it in 1st person like the game I’ve been wanting since I was 12… (jesus, that’s 20 years)

32. Vexing Vision says:

Please sell really, really well so we can finally get WH40K: Harlequin.

• mejoff says:

Press X-X-A to inject 20 metres of monofilament into an enemy and watch them turn into a bag of milkshake!

• Syra says:

Reskin assassins creed and make ezio do a little pirouette now and then. Sorted.

33. wodin says:

Played the demo…well it looks like repetitive button mashing just how I thought it would be…combat combo’s all consist of mashing the right mouse button….wheres the gameplay here….looked straight off an Xbox aswell…

IF this was a new game and WH40K’s first ever airing to the public I reckon it would be slated…the only reason people seemed to have liked it was because it was WH40K rather than the game itself.

• Shooop says:

Really funny you mention that – I have a Xbox controller plugged into my computer for platformers, and this game’s demo automatically locked itself to its controls. Had to close the damn thing and restart with the controller unplugged to get mouse and keyboard controls.

After playing it I realize this may not have been a simple developer flub. Blegh!

Snidesworth says:

@Shoop
      There’s a “use gamepad y/n” option in the game. Just flick that to No and you can config and use your keyboard and mouse.

34. Iskariot says:

I heard this game was quite short.
    Does anybody know how short exactly?
    If it is 8 hours or less I’ll wait until the price reflects that lack of gameplay time.

• iniudan says:

Took me about 7 hours to complete on hard. So ya it a short game, but for me was one of the few short game that was worth it.

Now if the multiplayer is like the single player it gonna be well worth the money, but now I need rest, for those 7 hours where with only like 10min of break during the whole time. =p

35. Bobsy says:

Thing is, for us peons who never fiddled with the pewter spaceman-men in our youth or pseudo-youth, this game (and indeed the Dawn of War games previously) have drastically reduced appeal. I reckon there’s been a lot of excitement from vocal fans which has been utterly disproportionate to the actual success of the Warhammer games over the years.

So yeah, colour me apathetic, though I am of course an ignoramus who didn’t even bother with the demo. The whole Warhammer thing just doen’t appeal to me.

The Sombrero Kid says:

PC Gamer gave it an agreeable 82 although the skulduggery that’s been going on & reading all the reviews does seem to imply it’s repetitive, which is a shame, I’m hoping it’ll be like rouge trooper which was excellent and reviewed like shit because it didn’t say gears of war on the box.

37. 7Seas says:

Well, there seem to be a shortage of people here who have actually played it, and instead a surplus of people who feel a desperate need to give their negative opinion on the demo.

I played 5 hours of the single player campaign last night and I loved the shit out of it. It is epic, it is 40k, it is SPACE MARINE.

It is better than the demo, which I loved, and it provides both a great sense of the 40k world and challenging meaty combat.

I found the combat tight as hell, and contrary to some of the whingers above is 100% within your control. You really feel when you die that you screwed up, it is never random. In fact after the setup about how awesome you are you really feel like you let your side down when you die.

The game has a great achievement for beating the (long) part 1 on Hard without dying or restarting, I look forward to attempting that. I died twice, and both times due to my own mistakes. While we may know no fear, the codex does caution a tactical approach rather than losing yourself in the bloodshed and getting blown up by a couple dynamite squiggies…

There are a couple minor niggles, like the endless series of elevators and empty passages relic included for no damn reason except to give people something to bitch about and undoubtedly take a 5-10 point metascore hit. Also, the combat can get somewhat repetitive, but in the same way that Deus Ex is repetitive, or Halo is representative…. the game is about being a Goddamn angel of death, and slaughtering the green tide. So, YES, there is a LOT OF GODDAMN KILLING. If it starts to wear on you, take a break, I guarantee you will come back fresh for the slaughter.

Anyway, relic is probably my favourite develop on the planet and I have spent more time playing the DoW and CoH series than is decent. Once again they have done tremendous justice to the 40k license proving that they are its rightful digital stewards. May the Emperor protect you Relic, for your undying dedication to the GRIMDARK!

Now, fuck off all you whinging demo/40k haters, you may return to your precious hand drawn games about baking butterscotch cookies for bunnies, while I go back to stomping the ever living shit out of an endless tide of xeno scum as a 200 year old gothic super soldier serving my undying lord, the Emperor of mankind.

PS: Here is a free 20 second test to find out if you will like the game or 40k:

If you want to know whether you will enjoy this game, read the following paragraph. If it makes you sit and smirk cynically while smoking your Galois and listening to experimental jazz, then fuck off. On the other hand if it makes you want to leap up and shout FOR THE EMPEROR, then buy the game.

“If I were a proper brother-captain, I would know the prayer we are supposed to say. But I think you all know what we have to do. We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy – the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so bad that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial – carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won.”
    ~Acting-Brother-captain Alaric of the Grey Knights

• Quizboy says:

if it makes you want to leap up and shout FOR THE EMPEROR, then buy the game.

It makes me want to force the vainglorious little man to watch the slow dismemberment of his stinking kin before snatching him away to the careful ministrations of Comorragh’s… specialist practitioners, certainly.

/commoraghwelcomescarefuldrivers

• iniudan says:

I completed the game now on hard but too tired to give a full opinion, for went through the game in a single sitting with only like 10 minute of break.

So not for those that want a long game, for it is indeed short, but the atmosphere for people that like Warhammer is excellent (And only one of the Ultramarine actually come out has an Ultrasmurf, which is a good thing considering those that hate the Ultramarine =p) and the action was a glorious hymn to the Emperor.

Didn’t test the multiplayer yet, for now I want to rest, 7 hours almost non-stop on an action game is quite draining. =p

38. Walsh says:

My favorite moment so far was cutting down a random nob, then an ork nearby yelled, “We didn’t need that nob anyway!”

It’s fun button mashing in the same vein as the old side scrolling beat em ups. Only this time you can use your gun for more than 10 shots before it mysteriously jumps out of your hand.

• Nalano says:

The game needs more orks to hit with my chainsword and fewer orks to pop with a stalker bolter from half a mile away because their rockets are SUSPICIOUSLY ACCURATE.

39. PickyBugger says:

So you’re holding back from posting about Space Marine which will most likely have a totally forgettable story yet you couldn’t hold back from posting reams and reams about Deus Ex before everyone not in the US could get there hands on it.

The Sombrero Kid says:

they haven’t played Space Marine Review Code & I can understand how they were so excited by Deus Ex that they just had to post their thoughts, I felt the same squirm waiting for my friends to finish it before i could talk about it, there’s just so much to analyse about it.

40. Freud says:

Is this like Arkham Asylym/Darksiders where there is a big element of puzzles or is it just hitting stuff?

• Solskin says:

You hit stuff. Sometimes with a power hammer. Right in the face.

• 7Seas says:

Puzzles?? Space marines don’t do puzzles!

Daiv says:

Hmm, there is a machine which opens the door, but it is missing a giant cog. There is a giant cog over there. If I roll it over I could slot it into the machine and activate the mechanism to winch open the door.

Screw that. CLEANSE IT WITH PURIFYING FLAME, BROTHERS!

41. vodkarn says:

I found the combat needlessly counter-intuitive; and let me explain:
    1) ‘mash button’ results in a glorious combo ending in an AOE… so one would think the game would be focussed around this, but
    2) You’re constantly looking for the single ork to kick in the balls/stomach/whatever and then perform a 30 minute ‘execution’ animation to get your health back. The problem is, if you need health, you’re probably in the middle of people, and if you’re in the middle and do an execution, you’ll take more damage during your feature-fim-length animation than you get back. So you end up praying to God you miss one of the 6 Orks in that group you’re attacking, because by God you’ll need that last one to heal.
    3) Because of the above, I found myself intentionally reigning in my massive kill sprees so that I could heal.. which pretty much turned me off of the game right there. Why am I playing a game with (admittedly awful blood sprites) awesome gore and carnage when you rip someone apart, but an active game mechanic making sure I didn’t keep doing that? Why not just have the healing be per kill, or at the end of that combo already in game? Why do I have to use two buttons (one to ‘stun,’ the other to ‘execute’) to heal?
    4) I’ll be honest, I wanted it a lot more brainless than it was, and having to decide when to kill/not kill someone in a game like this just turned me right off.

• 7Seas says:

Sounds like you need to turn down the difficulty. On the way the game is meant to played, Hard, you understand that the executions returning health is not meant to be an I Win button. It is carefuly designed to be a powerful tool in your arsenal to help you recover health, but must be judiciously timed or you will be overrun.

42. tungstenHead says:

I just wrapped up the singleplayer for Space Marine on normal difficulty. It was around 6.5 hours maybe? Finished downloading between 11:30 am and 12:00 am, finished the game around 5:45pm. So it’s a bit on the short side. My comments apply to the singleplayer only. I haven’t tried multiplayer yet. At least a couple of my clanmates are picking it up in the next couple of days, so I’ll be giving it some time alongside them in the coming week.

The combat is very violent. The hook is obviously the balance between ranged and melee combat. Managing your life bar is the thing that’s going to force you to dance between ranged and melee and the execute works well in the quieter points in fights but you’ll need to depend on fury to refill your life bar when a battle is at fever pitch. The melee combat doesn’t have much in the way of detail but the shooting is entirely functional. You will need to put a lot of bolter rounds in ork skulls to deal with the tougher boyz fast enough. I think there are legitimate complaints regarding the amount of detail in the combat to be had, but I think I’m happier that Relic kept it simple and made sure it was functional rather than overreached and had the whole thing collapse.

Dying can be incredibly sudden, but only if you’ve mismanaged the battle. If you don’t knock out a few ranged attackers before engaging in melee you’re going to be screwed. If you haven’t killed enough stuff fast enough, you’re going to be screwed. You approach the scenario a bit more cautiously the next time and focus on dealing with some ranged attackers before getting in melee combat and you’ll get through the section. I didn’t have much experience with the checkpoints, but they seemed reasonably frequent. Any fight that’s going to be problematic will have a checkpoint just before it and you get full health and ammo when you respawn.

Level design isn’t very great. Most of the battlefields are rather narrow and filled with a few obstacles for cover. Otherwise, they’re very wide and very open with little cover. I think that Relic had a very real challenge designing arenas for the melee/shooter combat here and their levels certainly work well enough. Curiously, the intensity of the game is dictated by simply having the player not fight for extended periods in the early game and then reducing the duration of those lulls as the game progresses. Visually, there’s nothing particularly great going on either.

So beyond the really weird pacing and the somewhat weak level design, I found it fun. We’re going to be seeing 6s and 7s for scores, I think, and deservedly so; those numbers won’t represent how much fun certain people are going to have with this game, but the more technical faults with the game in other areas. If you enjoyed the demo, I would definitely recommend it, and as Relic’s first step away from RTSes in such a long time, I think they did a solid job and look forward to their next attempt outside of the RTS genre.

43. LGM says:

*sigh*

Yet ANOTHER game about Space Marines? When does it end, seriously? ENOUGH WITH THE SPACE MARINES PEOPLE!!

44. Shooop says:

Terribly underwhelming.

Only three types of enemies, only one of which is any threat at all to you, obviously made for a controller controls, and combat which comes down to either just point and shoot until it stops or mash a button three times when up close.

• 7Seas says:

This is utterly incorrect. In every conceivable way. I can think of at least thirteen kinds of enemies off the top of my head, more if you included bosses.

Why would you say something so obviously untrue?

45. TsunamiWombat says:

The game is pretty good. I’d give it a solid 80. It doesn’t start to pick up and get AWESOME until the latter half of part two/the beginning of chapter 3.

How will you know when shits getting awesome?

It’s when you first get the thunder hammer.

At this point, shit gets crazy. The game has been flinging increasingly huge quantities of orks at you, but by this point you get SWAMPED with them, and Flash Gits, and Flash Git Nobs, blasting away at you with their kustom shoota/rokkit launcha’s And if your playing on high and not being careful, you WILL die fast and sudden.

Havn’t tried Multiplayer yet but i’m anxious.

46. Blob-World-Eye-Weary says:

Dynasty Warriors 40K (although I only played the demo <.<).

47. seruko says:

The writing is shit,
    the plot is shit,
    the level art is shit,
    you cannot jump, or even step over low curbs, unless you have a jump pack on…
    However
    I dreamed last night of orcs exploding on the end of my thunder hammer,
    of shooting the face off of a chaos cultist with my bolt pistol,
    of tossing frag grenades like baseballs and ripping nobs in half with my chain sword.
    When I close my eyes I see Orc Boyz Crushed,
    Bloodletters Driven Before Me,
    I hear the crying and the lamentations of the Gretchen.
    Ave Imperator!
    Solus in mortem officium finis.

48. davefp says:

It’s blooming marvelous!

49. Vinraith says:

I had high hopes for this one but the demo put me off. Brainless, repetitive button mashing and little else, what a waste of potential.

• 7Seas says:

It’s not brainless, on Hard difficulty (lets face it, you should always play a SPACE MARINE game on hard) the combat is quite challenging. There is no button mashing between juggling the variety of differnet range weapons, grenades, single target melee attacks, charge attacks, multi target melee combos, stuns, single target stuns, aoe stuns, and your health bar against a mix of melee and ranged and exploding suicide enemies.

If you are just button mashing you are playing the game on too easy a dififculty level, like a pansy.

• Nalano says:

If you play it as a brainless, repetitive button-masher, then you will die. A lot.

Very quickly, in fact.