Borderlands 2 Hearts The PC

By Alec Meer on September 7th, 2011 at 7:39 pm.

I'd like anisotropic filtering to be an option in the menu rather than having to force it in drivers, please. And there it is: RPS's most boring caption ever

Ah, here’s a spot of good mini-news for platform mini-zealots such as you and I. We’ve become all-too accustomed to PC versions of games being cursorily ported cast-offs of the console editions, riddled with references to X buttons and triggers, but Gearbox aren’t thinking that way for Borderlands 2. While the game’s still, at best guess, around a year from release, already they’re plotting on how the PC version needs to differ from the console version.

So their UI lead has posted on their forums asking for suggestions for PC-specific features and interface whatnots, claiming “rest assured we’ll be putting a lot of effort into properly supporting our PC customers for Borderlands 2.” Given the messiness of BL1′s networking at launch, this is fine news indeed.

Obviously it’s only vox-popping for now rather than anything concrete, but it’s good to know they’re listening – throw your non-crazy thoughts into the ring here.

I would like it to support the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, please.

Thanks, Maximilian.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. shoptroll says:

Steamworks or bust, please.

• djbriandamage says:

I’d prefer a platform-agnostic solution. Steamworks is proven to work very well and there’s nowhere I’d rather buy games than Steam, but I’m still against bundling a single retailer’s store application with a third-party game.

• shoptroll says:

Then pick your poison: GFWL or GameSpy.

• Kaira- says:

What’s so bad about GameSpy? I mean, Borderlands is pretty much the only game I use it for, but I’ve not had any problems with it so far.

• ArcaneSaint says:

You know, in the past, before I knew what digital distribution was, I always thought GameSpy was some kind of Spyware (with Spy being in the name and such), and always got a bit panicked when I saw it pop up while installing a game (closing it very quickly and promptly scanning my pc with my antivirus, hoping it didn’t do any damage).

Ah, good old times, no worries about all these delays, mega-DRM, crappy ports, etc. I only knew a game existed when I saw it in the store, and when I had problems I just had my dad fix them (looking back, this fix probably involved him getting the game from TPB, or some other p2p-site).

• Warskull says:

Gamespy doesn’t work. Gamespy’s netcode is just flat out crap. Even if you forward all the appropriate ports it still won’t work for everyone. Gamespy has a ton of trouble with routers and sometimes can just never connect to players together. You are better off bundling a copy of game ranger or hamachi with your game than using Gamespy.

• sink257 says:

They’ve already confirmed steamworks, where were you all this while?

• NthRincewind says:

Since the next Borderlands patch is adding Steamworks so Gearbox can test tech for Borderlands 2 I expect it will be Steamworks

Borderlands Steamworks patch on 9th September

• Kaira- says:

Hopefully only for matchmaking, not as DRM.

E: eh, who am I kidding, of course it will be also the f’ing DRM.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Since I’m currently struggling with having all my Steamworks games refuse to load, with Steam giving a “you don’t have enough space on this 500gb free drive to play this game” error, would prefer platform agnostic please. Steam is nothing but trouble at the minute.

• Gunrun says:

@Warskull Gamespy isn’t actually netcode, so you can’t say it has bad netcode. It’s just a lobbying and server browser middleware. It’s pretty bland and inoffensive when it’s implemented right.

• Shooop says:

What’s wrong with the simple disk check of the first game?

• Starky says:

@TB, just reinstall steam.

Assuming you have 10GB free space on that steam HDD (minimum, really you shouldn’t have more than 2/3rds full for performance reasons) and you are getting that error in error…
      Move the contents of your steamapps folder to somewhere safe (the root folder is fine), uninstall steam, reinstall steam your HD root folder, then move the steamapps folder back to where it should be inside steam.

Solved that issue when I had it after copying a steam install from a smaller HD that was full, to a 1TB one I got for steam.

• malkav11 says:

I’m not wild about GFWL, but I would honestly rather have it than Gamespy, which is a horrible, barely functional mess and has been in every game that I’ve used multiplayer in that’s had it. GFWL, on the other hand, is merely clunky. But yeah, Steamworks is the best solution. I just could swear that Valve said people could use it without tying themselves to Steam, and yet no one does.

• jezcentral says:

Whilst I am an unabashed Steam fanboy, I do like the fact that I can choose to buy the Retail Gamespy version of Borderlands, and the more recently released Steam version. I’m sure this took more time and cash to develop, but it was a nice option to have. (I have both).

• Primar says:

@jezcentral:

As far as I can remember (it’s been a while), it doesn’t matter where you bought the game (physical disk or Steam), it will still use Gamespy for the multiplayer.

It took us a couple of days to get it working properly the first time we tried, with much fucking about with port opening and Hamachi and router-punching. Not to mention the fact that I had to try and dig out a Gamespy ID that I hadn’t used in about 10 years.

As much as I despise GfWL, I’d rather have that than Gamespy. Either way, if Steamworks is confirmed, it’s a moot point.

• Kenny007 says:

@Primar

You are correct. Having owned the game for quite some time, I’m only just wrapping up the STEAM version of the title this week. It still uses the horrendous software that is Gamespy.

I honestly try to avoid Gamespy titles these days; I’ve had nothing but problems with them since their inception. My biggest problem tends to be that Gamespy can never recall my credentials between titles. It’s not simply a matter of forgetting my credentials; they ALL work when logging into the GS site.

As a result, I have unique IDs for everything from Commandos to Crysis, to Borderlands and UT3. Gamespy’s CS response? ‘Dunno…you must be entering it wrong’. It’s funny when I log into GS.com and it asks which of the 5 accounts I want to log in under; apparently they’re all still somewhat connected to one another.

Gah, I hate Gamespy.

• BellTollsForThee says:

I agree steamworks or bust but might i add that they properly code it for PC

I stop playing the first one cuz not even my 6950 was exempt from 25fps drops

2. Jim Rossignol says:

I’d really like to have to visit that site which tells you how to forward ports to get the game working on my new and bafflingly-interfaced router.

• Abundant_Suede says:

GameRanger. Never worry about port forwarding again, and solves all Borderlands connectivity issues. It just makes MP for older or problematic games work. It’s like magic.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

Wasn’t port forwarding said to be solved with the latest patch? I still can’t play the game with my friends, even after that patch, shutting down my firewall and using Hamachi. I would have raged if I had payed the full price for this.

• Vagrant says:

The game only had connection issues for me until the first patch or two. Pretty sure you’ll see network fixes in the patch notes, neither I nor my mates have had any problems with it since.

• Shooop says:

I think that was fixed in a patch. Certainly took their time getting it out though.

• grundus says:

I haven’t mapped the ports and my router is pretty basic, it doesn’t have uPNP or anything, yet I can still play with whoever the HELL I WANT, just not for very long. I suspect that’s because for some reason, my internet connection depends on how thirsty I am, where the moon is in the sky and what’s on TV that night. Still, I did have a pretty long session with just one other player the other night, did a whole load (arriving in New Haven to finishing Old Haven, so a fair chunk), no problems at all.

3. Nev says:

Isn’t this exactly what they said about Borderlands? That it was optimized for PC and that they took so much care to make the PC version different? I seem to recall they even made fun of developers who don’t optimize for PC. Then, after the game was released, they never commented on how much of a shitty port it was. I don’t really expect them to act any better when it comes to the sequel.

• djbriandamage says:

What didn’t you like about the PC version of the original Borderlands? I had very few qualms. Really, the only thing I didn’t like regarding the UI was having two separate functions for a single key depending on whether you pressed or held it down.

• neems says:

FOV, v-synch, mouse acceleration and UI… once I had those sorted (well not the UI), Borderlands was fantastic. Oh, and lest I forget, Gamespy. Not that I could do much about that.

• Kryopsis says:

• Waneta says:

You just have to glance at this thread to see some of the PC port-itis issues: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=79043

Wrong field of view for PC

Mouse smoothing (seriously, is there ANY reason anyone would want this on PC? IMHO having mouse smoothing should be a criminal offense including jail time, especially in most games that have it you can’t turn it off)

No vsync

Voice chat always on

Zoom and crouch keys are hold when they should be toggle or vice versa

Text boxes with scroll bars don’t support scroll wheel, and the interface in general is more easily navigated with arrow keys/enter than with a mouse

Obviously these are fixable by going into the .ini files, but users shouldn’t have to modify a text file to fix things that should at least be menu options, especially when that file gets overwritten by Steam any time there’s a game update.

• djbriandamage says:

Those are all fair criticisms of the UI. The scroll wheel thing is a particular pet peeve of mine, and now that I think of it I downloaded a third-party tool to adjust the FOV and a few cosmetic toggles.

• Warskull says:

They claimed the PC version would be the best looking, which it was once they fixed a bunch of the graphical bugs (took them months.) The UI/Interface was still a half-assed port. Lucky for them the game was good enough to make up for their laziness.

• Crimsoneer says:

Also, the VOIP was TERRIBLE. Eg, ALWAYS ON, with no push-to-talk option. So either you could never speak, or you were constantly speaking…I played with a few people who obviously didn’t even know they had a mic in their PC somewhere, so all you could hear was ambient house noises.

• Vagrant says:

Mouse scrolling aside, I really liked the UI in Borderlands. Tab gave me a map, and I could click on items & skills instead of using directional keys to navigate. Not sure what else I could want there. Mouse smoothing wasn’t even all that bad since the game was more Diablo than Quake, but I wouldn’t argue against not having it.

But seriously, up that FOV. It almost gives me headaches in tighter spaces.

• malkav11 says:

I’m not sure what the console folks would do with mouse smoothing. What with the not having mice, and all.

That said, I dunno why I would want it, either.

• zbeeblebrox says:

Mouse smoothing is GREAT! …if you’re recording a Let’s Play. :\

• DK says:

Same song they sang with Borderlands 1. Remember what they did for that one? It was having their PC QA team ONLY USE GAMEPADS.

Gearbox is run by drooling morons – there’s no reason whatsoever to take anythnig they say as truth.

• Malibu Stacey says:

“Press Enter to play”.

Aye PC ‘optimised’ all right. If you redefine ‘optimised’ to mean ‘we got it working at a basic level’

Note I only bought the game in the recent sale so I know of the latest release with all the DLC & not the early unpatched versions & it still feels like an afterthought on the PC.

4. Waneta says:

Gearbox specifically promised to have a great interface crafted just for the PC for the first Borderlands … and then delivered the train wreck of networking and UI that was Borderlands. So you know what? I think I’ll take their claim with a grain of salt.

Edit: Curse you Nev!

5. FlammableD says:

I don’t see what was so bad about the port (GameSpy aside).

• LTK says:

Dude, have you tried using the inventory or shops with just a mouse? It was obvious they paid little attention to porting the interface. The d-pad icons are still there, being useless. You couldn’t use the scroll wheel for text boxes. Mouse responsivity was pretty poor on there overall.

The shooty bits of Borderlands were not bad at all, but when you start to use a pointer for things, that’s where it falls apart.

• djbriandamage says:

Shops are lousy if you just use the mouse, but the Enter key is your friend. It’s workable but not ideal.

• Amun says:

@djbriandamage: Enter is a plague upon us PC gamers. It’s impossible to reach without changing your hand position, it’s rarely configurable in the options, and it’s unintuitive unless the user is typing.

• Baines says:

It’s not like they put much more work into the console version of the interface.

Two-player split-screen (in a game that hyped how important they felt both four player and split-screen were in its early days) used the exact same menus menus as single player. You used one of the analog sticks to pan your view of the menu because you could only see half of it. (Though I guess that is still better than what they could have done. They could have just crushed it to half-width, making it illegible. Or made opening a menu take over the whole screen, like some games do.)

6. aeromorte says:

Yeah well Fable 3 was supposed to be like that too but look where it did end up… till i see the game itself there no point in beliving stuff like that.

7. Vinraith says:

Just give me a direct IP connect option and spare me any platform-locking, please.

8. Kaira- says:

1) Larger FOV please
    2) No mouse smoothing on default
    Aaand… tolerable DRM. If any. Gamespy worked just fine for me, so I wouldn’t mind seeing it return.

• liquidsoap89 says:

Alright I have to ask, what exactly does FOV really do? I never noticed it before because I had a small monitor (I think that’s the reason why at least), but once I got a new monitor I cranked the FOV up on TF2 and it looked… Wider? I guess… Does changing the FOV actually change some specific thing that makes the game look better? Or is it something like looking through a convex lense, instead of looking at things perfectly flat?

• Optimaximal says:

It is, like you say, simply a wider field of view…

Because console games are played on a larger screen but at a distance of over 6-7 foot, a lower FOV allows the player to make out more detail as everything is ‘zoomed’ in. Of course, on an average PC monitor, where you’re no more than 2-3 foot from the screen, everything just looks all bunched up, chunky and in your face.
      In a nutshell, using a FOV of 60-70 on an average PC makes it seem like the player character has the gun taped to the side of his face.

There are a few provisios, such as whether FOV is calculated on the horizontal or vertical axis, but that’s neither here nor there…

• jackelope says:

@liquidsoap89:

Because I’m a nice guy, I’ll save you the trouble of looking it up. The vid is for TF2, but explains the concept very well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLHsfQS9p_Y

9. ZIGS says:

I remember when they said the PC version of Borderlands 1 was gonna be tailored for the platform. Fool me once…

• Amun says:

If they wanted to be honest they should have said “we’re going to use a font so huge, you won’t be able to see all the attributes of your gun. Enjoy!”

10. mpk says:

I’d settle for being able to play multiplayer without having to resort to voodoo to get things working.

Also, proper mouse and keyboard support for menus, huh?

Some idea of what skills and items that give skill bonii actually do to our stats would be nice.

The ability to trade weaponry properly, and have some sort of central inventory where you can drop in the nice level 5 shotty that your level 25 character isn’t going to use.

And if you don’t do any of that, I’ll forgive you as long as you write a proper ending this time.

11. DiamondDog says:

This may seem like a strange thing to be complaining about but, is anyone else getting a little tired of the “oh yeah we love PC gaming” shtick this seems to be hot right now?

I mean, it’s a good thing. We all want better ports and games optimised for the PCs strengths, but how much of this is just hot air?

I think I’m just being a cynical grump, but most weeks RPS has a news story about a dev confessing they don’t actually think we’re all a bunch of lepers. It’s like dedicated servers. Something that used to be standard is now a bullet point. Oh hey, we won’t make the PC version shit! Isn’t that great! Shower us with praise.

Like I say, I hope it’s all true and the PC version is great. It’s just sometimes I get the feeling I’m being fed a PR line.

• shoptroll says:

It’s because the consoles are finally showing their age so PC is a lot more attractive now. Doubly so, because NPD finally started giving a more accurate picture of PC sales once they pulled in digital distribution data.

I’m sure a fair amount of it is PR hot air, but it’s pretty easy to smell that from a distance.

• djbriandamage says:

Fable 3 and Deus Ex:HR burned me bad with their claims of a solid PC port. I’m done with preordering multiplatform titles.

• Jamison Dance says:

What was so bad about Dues Ex:HR? I din’t notice any porting annoyances.

• Jim Rossignol says:

People complaining about the “port” of DXHR are generally complaining about the way the game is limited to (or by) the 360′s crappy memory limit. The PC version is otherwise fairly strong.

As for the “we love PC gaming” thing, I think it’s money, pure and simple. PC sales are picking up as Steam and other platforms grow and drag in more profits. Studios are realising they have to service the platform, not just the consoles, to make ends meet. It is a PR line, a lot of the time, but it’s not all going to be without content.

• DrGonzo says:

I’m finding the performance in DXHR pretty terrible to be honest, it stutters when entering areas a lot. It does feel like a port, but a very good one and I’m loving it.

• Binary77 says:

DrGonzo, i agree. I can run Crysis 2 on full-whack with all the DX11 extras & never get any slowdown, but DX:HR has these little stutters whenever i walk about Detroit. Although the entire engine seems a bit wonky at times anyway, so i don’t completely put it down to bad porting.

As for the above article, it’s great that they’re (claiming) to support the PC more, but i hope this current trend of ‘PC love’ doesn’t affect the amount of fantastic 360 controller support that has been prevalent in PC titles of late. I know it’s most likely a by-product of most games being ported, but i play all of my games with a 360 pad & i’d hate to see this removed from PC games by developers that are trying to brown-nose the ‘traditional’ PC gaming community.

P.S – does anybody else have little-to-no anti aliasing in DX:HR, despite selecting all the options? It seems that anything more than a few feet away from you just goes jaggy again.

• jezcentral says:

I haven’t seen any problems with DXHR’s performance, either. The need to double-tap in the hacking mni-game is the only thing I can think of, off the top of my head. I wish multi-platform games gave more thought to allowing Mousedown-Mouseover-Mouseup for the PC, rather than having to click twice.

12. Metonymy says:

Id be happy with some character and weapon balance. Siren was best at everything. Highest DPS, godlike panic button, single player convenience, designed around the strongest weapon type.

I’m not really sure how this happened either, because I looked at the skill trees about one minute each before playing, and it was blatantly obvious that she was better than the others.

13. magnus says:

No multiplayer/Deathmatch focused DLC like Mad Moxies Underdome Riot, but withthe inclusion of co-op of course in proper story-based DLC, but that’s me being diplomatic

• tyrsius says:

Underdome Riot was my favorite DLC. Pure shooty goodness. No running from A to B, great arena maps, all action.

Played this with friends several times. Only DLC we revisted.

• Vinraith says:

I don’t care if they make another DLC like Moxxie’s, but they certainly should clearly label it as “Four Player Only” if they’re not going to bother to scale it to the number of players involved.

14. JohnnyMaverik says:

I’ll believe it when I see it after the sub-par port that was Borderlands 1.

Still, I guess a statement of intent is the best they can give us atm, so I’ll take it…

15. yourgrandma says:

A playable/adjustable FOV would be wonderful this time around. Hate having to dig through .ini files on every single game i play now days. A scalable hud would be nice to so i can view and select my equipment with the oversize text making it only possible to view a few weapons at a time. But yea maybe i should be posting this in the forum… but it’s already 14 pages long and most of what i was thinking has already been said. My job here is done!

16. Shredz says:

As long as I don’t have to go into the .ini files to disable mouse accel and they let me put my sens as low as I desire then I’m happy. The lowest sens in the first one is like double of what I usually use. I feel the multiplayer system could do with some improvements from the first one too.

17. Jimbo says:

The UI Lead is using their forum to ask for help designing the UI? That bodes well.

18. Abundant_Suede says:

As long as they’re being all PC friendly, it would be nice if this time they didn’t patch in DRM that wasn’t active in the original game, into the DLC on top of Steam DRM.

19. TsunamiWombat says:

PUSH.
    TO.
    TALK.

20. duskman says:

How about skip-able intro videos! I’ve had to remove those video files every stinking time they did an update.

21. Ganjatron says:

They said the exact thing for the first Borderlands. Until they can actually prove it, this is more hot air blown up our asses.

22. clippa says:

Dedicated servers, fov slider, uncapped framerate, no input lag please, thankyou.
    Do game developers really need to ask?

23. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. says:

FoV and Eyefinity support (HUD on center screen please), Push To Talk support, SteamWorks

24. Wooly Wugga Wugga says:

That’s what they all say.

25. FalseMyrmidon says:

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Gearbox swore that Borderlands wasn’t going to be a console port and that the PC version would be done right. Liars.

26. Pointless Puppies says:

I just pine for two things:

1) A UI that isn’t absolute shit. By far the WORST UI I’ve ever had the misfortune of using in the last 10 years, not only in functionality (Pg Up/Pg Down? Really? Did Gearbox employ monkeys for this particular design decision?), but also in aesthetics. Everything absolutely clashed for your attention, to the point where the entire screen was filled with a confusing-as-hell jumble of symbols and words that both said too little and showed too much at the same time. They had to have TRIED to make a UI this bad, especially on the PC.

2) Native anti-aliasing options that don’t inappropriately touch my framerate when I turn them on.

Bonus: Mod support. Yeah, yeah, that’ll never happen despite them saying they “<3 PC", but we can dream can't we?

27. SquareWheel says:

Everything should definitely have more GameSpy integration. People LOVE GameSpy.

28. kwyjibo says:

Some gameplay that taxes our current machines, and not just the console game with some higher res textures would be nice.

29. SickBrick says:

Hey Alec, anisotropic filtering is an option, anti aliasing is not. Foolish weakling.

30. FunkyBadger3 says:

Why would anyone want to use Push To Talk rather than Always On?

Me no understand.

31. vodkarn says:

“As a matter of fact, it IS exactly what Gearbox said before launching Boarderlands. I am never buying another Gearbox game again.”

I have a feeling this is going to be a rather frequent and vocal opinion.

• mondomau says:

Ha, yes. ‘Vocal’ being the key word here – recent history has proved over and over again that most ‘vocal’ haters are generally all mouth, no trousers. Come release, I reckon we’ll see how many people stick to their guns and how many were just being melodramatic in the deluded belief it might sway the developers.

Still though, it was a shockingly lazy port.

• Abundant_Suede says:

I enjoyed the original game for co-op, but to this day I haven’t bought any of the DLC that came bundled with activation-limited Securom DRM bundled on top of Steam DRM, on principle, despite hearing that a couple of them were decent. One of the DLC packs was offered to me for free, and I declined it because I didn’t want it on my machine. The Securom may have been removed by now for all I know, but the window for the game has passed. If Borderlands 2 does the same thing, I’ll pass on it. If not, Ill probably check it out.

I can’t imagine needing any single game so badly that you cant make simple and clear decisions like this, and it baffles me when someone doubts other people’s ability to do so. Especially not for an ARPG. You cant swing a cat without hitting a decent ARPG somewhere. Can some people’s lives be such a gaping maw of commercial need, they can’t possibly conceive of someone passing on any given game because something about it alienates them?

32. Daryl says:

I recall the same thing many others have said. I remember them saying they were going to give the PC it’s own UI and all that. When the game came out you couldn’t even use your scroll wheel in menus. I don’t hate Gearbox, but the trust is broken and I’m on a “wait and see” status with this game. Somehow I doubt I’ll end up sending any money their way this time.

33. matrices says:

Not sure what amnesia has kicked in at RPS, but Pitchford blatantly lied about PC features for Borderlands the first time around.

To their credit, they released some kind of tool to de-shittize the PC version. However, the FOV issue was a serious pain in the ass that basically couldn’t be fixed if you wanted to retain your sanity.

34. Xiyng says:

They could simply look at the decade-or-so-old Half-Life: Opposing Force they made. Or some other shooter from the early 2000s. And if Borderlands had an inventory, they can easily find some working examples for that, too.

35. wazups2x says:

Important PC Features:

1) NO mouse acceleration, mouse smoothing, deadzone, negative mouse accel, or anything else ruins the movement. It needs to be raw mouse input, nothing getting in the way of the mouse and the game.

2) Option to edit the default controls to whatever you like.

3) Dedicated servers and server browser for multiplayer games. (not important for coop games with only 2 to 4 players)

4) Interface that works well with a mouse and keyboard.

5) Text chat, push to talk, etc, for multiplayer games.

6) Good selection of graphic settings.

7) Option to adjust FOV.

8)Option to choose hold/toggle ADS, hold/toggle crouch, etc…

If it has every single one of those I will gladly purchase it.

36. Symbul says:

I’ll believe they didn’t just port it when I see it. I don’t really rate Gearbox highly on their “truthiness” these days.

37. aldo_14 says:

I would like the exploding rockets I just fired into a small hut of twigs and cloth to have some noticeable effect, please.

• ankh says:

Word. BFBC2 has ruined other shooters for me. I cant wait till they all have at least some destructible things. (The most obvious stuff will do for now, like random little huts made out of twigs and cloth)

Comment on this story