Solium Infernum Free Mini Expansion Soon

By Jim Rossignol on September 7th, 2011 at 4:24 pm.

It’s true! Vic Davis says: “I’ve been working on a free mini expansion pack for Solium Infernum. It’s in pretty good shape at this point and I hope to have it available in a beta form by the end of the month for adventurous players who would like to give it a go for a few weeks to find bugs and give me some game play feedback for tweaking the new mechanics.” There’s a full list of what’s included here.

And you want to remember why this game is so great, go here with your reading. Yeah, I went there. (Thanks be to the vigilant few who sent this in.)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. CMaster says:

Gameboys From Hell is still my favourite thing on RPS.
    Oddly, I didn’t care for the NP diary at all.

• Web Cole says:

Agreed. Gameboys from Hell is a splendiferious thing.

• Daiv says:

Gameboys from Hell should be mandatory reading at GCSE level.

• HexagonalBolts says:

I might have to go and re-read it, it was probably the most I’ve ever laughed at anything written on the internet.

I REALLY wish he’d do a sale or something though, or maybe a 4 pack or something. I tried a friends’ copy with him on holiday, it was brilliant, but for such a simple game 25 dollars still feels steep. Especially when I’m not even sure anybody else would play it with me (no pedants, the friend doesn’t play it any more).

• Greg Wild says:

To this day I regret not having written my perspective (I was Zah’hak) :P

• McDan says:

It truly is magnificent, aren’t we about die for another diary of something? Although I suppose that depends on the games that have been released recently, but at least we’ll have this and the other ones to cherish.

2. Kaira- says:

Yay! Hopefully the few games I’m on will end soon enough so that I can start a new one with the expansion.

E: might as well viral my own not-yet-complete AAR.

• Bonedwarf says:

I’ve been involved with several PBEM games of this.

Not a single one ever reached a conclusion sadly. Would really like to get into some more.

3. Out Reach says:

Oooh Looking forward to this :D

4. Commenter says:

I don’t understand why a technologically simple game like this has no proper online/local multiplayer option and relies on a PBEM system that – on top of being outdated in general – is really unpleasant to use.

The overhead just feels horrible and the first turns of each round you spend more time copying files around than actually playing the game.

• Kaira- says:

PBEM is a blessing for those who wish to play from different time-zones games that can take lots of time to complete. And it’s far more pleasant to think with your own pace and then send the file to host when you are ready, who makes the resolve. I remember playing HoMM3 on LAN and most of the people got very annoyed if somebody took too long (10-15 min) thinking about their turn.

• Jim Rossignol says:

• riadsala says:

I assume it’s cause Vic has little interest in doing things like this. I get the impression that he’s mainly interested in “game design” , as opposed to implementation. I did email him a few months ago offering to port SI to Unity3d, which would allow for a nicer interface, and online play, etc. But he politely declined.

• Jambe says:

@Kaira & Jim: couldn’t this be handled via a standard network client, though? One that uses direct connection, I mean. I like the game, but SI could be streamlined into a standalone client — just do whatever updates you want locally and the clients synch and resolve whenever a connection is made. It’s conceivable that PBEM functionality could be preserved in such a client, too.

I like the game but I admit I am turned off by PBEM.

• DarkWeeble says:

Dropbox really solves 98% of the PBEM issues. All you have to do is drag and drop the file between two folders and it pops up on your desktop when a new turn is added. It’s a very good solution and I encourage you to give a try.

RE: The Expansion –

SQUEEEEEEE!!!!

5. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Here’s hoping the AI is improved. I realize its designed with MP in mind, but I will always prefer turn-based games solo.

• Vinraith says:

Unfortunately a game this dependent on deception and manipulation simply can’t be played well by an AI, which is precisely why I’ve never bought it despite loving Davis’ other games and adoring the underlying concept.

• pakoito says:

HA HA! You have no friends to play with.

Neither do I and I don’t think randoms over internet will keep interest in the game enough time

6. Memphis-Ahn says:

“Also I guess it means Vic doesn’t have to deal with maintaining a server or any of the resulting costs?”
    I don’t think something like that would be an issue with a Peer to Peer system. It’s not theoretically hard to implement (dated stamp for making sure save is up to date) but it would require for both players to be online at the same time for the transfer of data (even better would be to transfer to ALL players when possible so that if the current player isn’t online but the next player is, the save can still be downloaded from one of the other players).
    It’d probably be a lot of work to implement, time that would be better spent making more free expansions surely, but wouldn’t be as inconvenient!

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Reply fail, huzzah!

• brog says:

This system would either need a central server to mediate (a cost), or require configuring ports on people’s routers (which is people also would complain about!), or be very unreliable (ditto).
      Technology is actually pretty crap. But playing Solium Infernum is okay if you use dropbox.

7. BobsLawnService says:

I miss the days when there was less content on RPS but it was like that.

I also wish I could get to grips with SI’s UI but the demo kicked my arse in that respect.

8. Xercies says:

I like what this game is trying to do, i like the machanics of it and the whole atmosphere of hell it gives. I don’t like the game because I don’t know it just didn’t light my fire i guess and well when I play multiplayer with people there isn’t that much interaction.

it would probably have been better if it was an actual real life boardgame to be honest.

9. elstob says:

I’d like to add my support for another strategy game diary please.

10. Sheng-ji says:

Damn, I totally forgot to buy this! Time to get my credit card out I think!

11. Ergates_Antius says:

I never got around to playing this against humans (the AI didn’t put up much of a fight). None my gaming buddies would get it, and the commitment of playing against strangers scared me. (your friends aren’t going to complain too much if you’re busy one evening and don’t make your move – people you don’t really know would probably be less forgiving).

• Vinraith says:

I think this is a large part of the reason that trying to play a game like this with strangers always ends up feeling like work to me, rather than fun.

• Sheng-ji says:

Well, would people be interested in organizing a back-burner game, by which I mean none of us stress about people being busy etc?

12. Severian says:

Such a wonderful and unique game, and such a tragedy that I only played 2 actual games of it (vs. human opponents) because of the logistical frustration and glacial pace of play-by-email. I envy those groups of friends that purchased this together and were able to easily coordinate game sessions.

13. Senethro says:

Huh, kind of a year late, but a one man dev studio will work on what interests him at the time. Still very cool and I’m looking forward to the new content.

Unfortunately I’m not seeing much on the blog that will rectify what I see as the biggest problem of the game. That the prestige game is completely subverted by the military/excommunication game and that turtle economy booming is an uncounterably strong way to prepare for a military victory that isn’t even available to prestige players.

The Assertion of Weakness might be a good means to put a noose around the neck of a turtle player if tiles around their stronghold can be captured. Unfortunately all the different curses will make the prestige game unstable as it’ll be the #1 player vs. the rest of the prestige players and causing all the prestige players to waste resources and turns cursing each other while the subversion players of all types will relatively benefit.

Basically, I think there needs to be some kind of economic benefit from prestige or else its much simpler to ignore prestige and go all in on killing everyone.

14. jon_hill987 says:

The new diplomatic option looks good. People get so scared of my military might they concede to my demands an insults, claiming they are weak and stealing land to prove it sounds good to me.

15. MarkB says:

I just got around to reading Gameboys from Hell. Best thing ever. Hilarious with convoluted plots, last second power grabs and a Sleater Kinney song slapped on at the end.

I desperately want to play this now, but I suspect getting my friends on board will be difficult.

16. 0over0 says:

I never had trouble finding people to play with–in fact, had a great group with which I played multiple rounds. We got started either on the RP forums or the ones for SI. There’s also a Steam group and chatroom in which you can find opponents. Like most things in life, you have to expend a little effort to get what you want.
    We even did writeups during the game that we posted afterward–they were hilarious and revealed all sorts of evildoings…those bastards.

The expansion looks great–will have to get some games going again as I’ve not played in a few months. For the price of $25 or whatever it was, I certainly got my money’s worth out of it.