Plenty: 22 Minutes Of Kingdoms of Amalur

By Jim Rossignol on September 8th, 2011 at 9:37 pm.

Twenty-two minutes! That is longer than some wars. It’s a big watch, but I have to admit I am 67.34534% more interested in this fantasy RPG combat game now, having seen a little more of what it offers outside combat, combat, combat. I mean let’s not be tricky about this: there’s a lot of killing beasts going on in the breadth of these twenty-two minutes, but there’s some other stuff within its heaps of character customisation and wandering about in the hub sections of the game. It is also lavishly pretty in places. Possibly even a bit too much lipstick, some would say.

Full thing below, courtesy of the great beast of IGN.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Zepp says:

I hope the game is not that easy… Also, straight corridor dungeon maps are exciting.

• skurmedel says:

Yes… those corridors were certainly not “gay”… geddit?

I’m no punner :(

• PleasingFungus says:

Don’t quit your day job.

• kyrieee says:

He’s a cleaner

• Zepp says:

I’m not native speaker so you can fuck off.

• Burning Man says:

@Zepp: Uh, I believe they were poking fun at skurmedel. Also, your English is perfectly fine, so please don’t be one of those people who writes really well and then excuses themselves for no apparent reason.

2. Njordsk says:

When is this supposed to be out? I’m quite interested

• Danarchist says:

February of next year they said at the end there. I am not sure when in Europe, you guys really should like boycott or something to get equal release dates =P I’m sure they would just delay North America dates instead of moving up European dates, but maybe in that extra time someone will accidentally play-test some of the crap before they send it out the door.

3. sakmidrai says:

Is it bad that I am more interested in Risen 2 and Reckoning than Skyrim?

• MountainShouter says:

Well, Skyrim launches before Reckoning. So there’ll be plenty of time between them.

• WrongThinker says:

• Duckpoop says:

I’m definitely looking forward to Risen 2 the most out of those three games. I’m still not sure how I feel about this Reckoning game, and I think I will need to play it myself M/KB to see how that goes before I get too excited. I will be waiting another year or so for an on-sale GOTY version of Skyrim, most likely.

But yea, need moar info in Risen 2 (and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2)!

• megazver says:

Risen 2 > Skyrim > Some Other Stuff > This, I Guess

• LostViking says:

I agree with you. Risen 2 > Skyrim > This

• Inarborat says:

“Frankly, I’d be a little worried for anyone looking forward to Skyrim more than this. You’re allowed to look forward to it… but more than this? I just don’t believe it’s possible.”

Why not? Skryim = Loads of dragons + the awesome mod community that surrounds Elder Scrolls games.

This is an EA published game and looks like a Korean MMO.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Looking forward to Legend of Grimrock more than any of them.

• megazver says:

“For some reason I just don’t get that good a feeling when looking at the clips. It lacks a certain grittyness or something, I can’t quite put my finger on it. Will definitely wait for the review. Skyrim and Risen 2 are instabuys.”

WoW armor and neon lighting, everywhere. I mean, I’ll still play this unless they *really* screw up the gameplay. But my expectations are not high.

• Jesse L says:

Save your pity, WrongThinker! It is not wanted here.

(Please read this in Ian McKellan’s Gandalf voice.)

4. Tei says:

It looks like a game with a lot of tricks in his pockets!. Hype raised a 600%!!.

5. SF Legend says:

“Twenty-two minutes! That is longer than some wars.”

But the world’s shortest war was 38 minutes long. This is not the level of historical accuracy I am accustomed to from RPS.

• Danarchist says:

I must disagree. I declared war on a plate of hotwings last night and was victorious in 12 minutes flat. I am spending millions to rebuild the chicken wings infrastructure as we speak…

• Grygus says:

“…war on a plate of hotwings” made me laugh. Just thought you should know.

6. icupnimpn2 says:

Could be fun, but the constant use of blacks and shadows is going to make this almost impossible to play on my lcd monitor. Hello gamma 900%

7. AMonkey says:

Looks like a mix of Oblivion and Fable. So could be pretty awesome.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Fable, yes. I’m not really feeling the Elder Scrolls vibe, though.

8. outoffeelinsobad says:

I use my turn to mitigate excitement until we see PC footage. And I take a five-foot step.

• Grygus says:

Trailer has Thicket of Blades stance and gets an Excitement of Opportunity. Roll vs. Unreasonable Anticipation!

9. wiper says:

Oh, Jim, you could never be more interesting! ;)

(Now, due to the vagaries of the English language you have to decide whether that was sycophancy or an insult. And then ban me either way)

(Please don’t ban me)

10. Joof says:

Is this the one made by Curt Schilling?

• megazver says:

Yeah. I suppose you can’t grumble if a super-rich guy just dumps money into a studio so that there would be one more big rpg franchise, but I can’t help but wish that his nerd tastes would be slightly more refined than Salvatore and McFarlane.

11. megazver says:

God, I hate the visual look. The spikes, the random glowy stuff. Even Two Worlds had more of a personality than this.

• Saiko Kila says:

I like the self-healing armour.

• Ertard says:

Same here.. It looks like some low budget version of WoW, and it looks very much like a console game. All the effects are so.. ehhh. Nothing in them.

Can’t see the hype for this at this point. The combat looks plain mashy and bad as well.

12. westyfield says:

More videos of the crazy Gamescom guy please.

CITIZENS OF EARTH!

13. gwathdring says:

Hmm. “Mostly X” is not a plus for me.

14. Freud says:

Console inventory systems make PC gamers cry.

• LostViking says:

Word!
      I am really anxious to see if Bethesda has made the GUI any better in Skyrim, as they promised.

I am sick and tired of having to scroll for minutes to check your inventory. Is it really that hard to implement a grid on a console!!

15. Brumisator says:

OH! OPen world RPG? colour me interested all of a sudden!

16. JackDandy says:

Looks somewhat interesting to me, but the devs basically admitting the combat is just button mashing puts me off.

17. NothingFunny says:

looks quite fun

18. Velvetmeds says:

I see nothing of interest…

19. Timthos says:

So the only digital distributor listed with pre-orders available is Origin. I’m glad they sold their souls to make this game.

20. haisaic says:

Sex tool for sell that you will like them ,welcome to http://tinyurl.com/3zogvql

21. nootron says:

That sure looks console-y. I saw lots of D-pads and A buttons. Either that or this acid is starting to kick in already.

22. skyturnedred says:

Just because Zelda “pauses” the game after every press of the attack button doesn’t mean every other action RGP has to!

Seriously, I bloody hate that animation style in combat. Hit X to attack, you get an attack animation for 0.5 seconds, then the game seems to pause slightly, waiting for your next move. Press X again, you get another 0.5 sec attack animation and the game slows down again to wait for your next move. I fuckin’ hate that. Breaks any immersion I migtht’ve had. It’s as if the game is reminding me “oh btw, this is a game, so whatcha wanna do next?!” Please, make the combat seem fluid not real-time-with-a-forced-small-pause. Pfft. Hope someone understood what I meant.

Nitpicking aside, looks like a fun game.

• Reinhardt says:

That little delay is sometimes referred to as frame distortion, and it’s used to make an impact seem stronger, usually along with screen shake. I definitely think it can be effective, but when you see it after every attack, it just gets tiresome and routine and loses all intended purpose.

The newer Zelda games are extremely guilty of overdoing it. Smash Bros. isn’t shy about it either but it’s used more sparingly in that game.

• skyturnedred says:

I wrote that thing drunk last night, but I’m glad someone understood it :)

23. Derpington Hurrrrrrr says:

Well, it looks fun, but it doesn’t seem to have anything special about it. The cartoonish graphics is too much reminiscent of WoW for my taste, and it remains to be seen if the whole execution of the game will alleviate somewhat boring design decisions. Hopefully the story, plot, characters and dialogue writing will be nice, and not another hurrrrrr gather 50 gold for an expedition in the derp roads.

24. Jnx says:

Well this looks like it could actually have some depth too. Somehow I expect a superlousy pc port though.

• Alboreo says:

Ditto, it looks neat but I have a sneaking suspicion that it’ll end up being a horrible console port.

25. Renfield says:

Surprisingly, they really seem to have made something exciting here!

26. wodin says:

If it had been abit more gritty with some gore instead of neon fireworks everywhere I’d have said it looked better than Skyrim.

27. Jimbo says:

It looks very… Fable.

28. Big Daddy Dugger says:

It looks like a really fancy version of fable with a wider range of game mechanics and dragon age 2 crossed with fable style combat. All of the fable games at least held my attention so I’ll definitely play this.
    I like all the glowing crap everywhere, way more interesting to stare at for hours on end than the repeated rock, tree, rock, shrub environments in most rpgs.