Max Payne 3 Out March 2012 With Multiplayer

By Adam Smith on September 8th, 2011 at 3:38 pm.

Bald and (possibly) bearded
Bearded and/or bald bodyguard/cop simulation Max Payne 3 has a release date of March 2012. I suppose that’s a release month rather than date. But the month isn’t the exciting part; the exciting part is that the release date is for both consoleboxes and PC. Hurrah! This is Rockstar, remember, so they might have kept us waiting until 2018. There will also be a multiplayer mode, more details of which below, and there are two new screenshots to look at. It’s a veritable trenchcoat pocket full of details!

Does Max Payne need multiplayer? I’m not sure he does, but he’s getting it anyway and it will include “a deep reward and levelling system”. Fine. It will also apparently deliver an experience that “dynamically alters maps and mode progression for all players in a match”. I don’t know what that means and wouldn’t like to guess until I have more than a string of words to base my guesses upon. [Perhaps something like L4D2's map-changing director?]

Here be pictures. Click for larger versions:

bald and bearded

bearded, not bald

, , .

1. Level85nerd says:

Yes, multiplayer is everything keeping be motivated!

• SuPerNoVi says:

“Be” do you mean ‘me’ ? :)

• Flaringo says:

Maybe he meant “bee”

• slpk says:

Man, there’s so much sarcasm going on at RPS these days that my perception of it in the real world is being affected. Seriously, its starting to creep me out…

• P7uen says:

Seriously, its starting to creep me out…

Did you mean it’s starting to creep ‘bee’ out?

2. Askeladd says:

Looks really really good.

3. sakmidrai says:

Sun in a Max Payne game?
    Nope.

• resignation.speaks says:

Hahahaha, nice:)
      Noire all the way!

• razgon says:

So, this is yet another quick cash grab it seems. Why is it that developers doesn’t have a single clue as to what made their game succesfull back in the day? Why must every game look and feel like every other game out there? “Deus ex has cover and third person view, so must Max Payne” I can hear the board room 21 year old freckled wonderkid scream.

Multiplayer?

And lastly…sun?! When has Max Payne seen the sun last? I’m sure it was before his family was slaugthered.

No thanks, whoever you are – You are no Remedy for the Rockstars

• Daniel Rivas says:

Dunno if quick is the word I’d use.

• razgon says:

heh, thats true though!

• brulleks says:

‘ “Deus ex has cover and third person view, so must Max Payne” I can hear the board room 21 year old freckled wonderkid scream. ‘

Max Payne and Max Payne 2 are both third-person shooters.

• razgon says:

Can we pretend I wrote something else?

• Magnetude says:

You know, if you want to play Max Payne 1 and 2 again, you could just do that. There are all kinds of mods and texture packs now as well (the Cinema mod for MP2 is pretty damn fun).

- Sun: I have no idea why people think a series must be limited to one time of day only.
      - Cover system: Max Payne has always needed a cover system. This may seem like heresy for a PC game, but if you have a 3rd person view you’re going to be spending a lot of time with your character’s face pressed into a wall while you use the camera to peek round corners, which looks silly.
      - Tortured metaphors delivered in a whiskey-mellowed drawl: If it doesn’t have them this is an instant boycott for me.

Edit: I will agree that multiplayer is totally unnecessary. RDR and GTA4 worked because they were so open, but Max Payne’s main gimmick is slow-motion, which is physically impossible in MP. But apparently we need persistent unlocks to keep us playing a game for more than 10 minutes now.

• foda500orama says:

@razgon(ugh I hate doing this) It may be a cash grab, but certainly not a quick one considering how long it’s been in development.

• HybridHalo says:

Physically impossible? No. The Specialists mod for HL1 did a good job, as have all iterations of the FEAR Multiplayer. Whilst it can be tricky to implement well – calculating line of sight from a player activating time slow-down and then slowing down everyones game/mouse reaction speed etc except for the activating player… Not rocket science.

I think it’s a more valid question to ask if it would work within a Max Payne multiplayer – which is hard to say. I’m expecting game modes comparable to the Kane and Lynch series rather than several Max Paynes running about, but we’ll see!

• sakmidrai says:

I hate cover system and the reason is simple.

All the shooting is going to be “wack-the-popping-head”. It will be VERY slow.
      We already have bullet time, what is the reason for a cover system? Oh I know, we need it so health can regenerate safely.

I hate cover system so much… innovation my ass…

• Magnetude says:

Oh, I hope it doesn’t end up as a whack-a-mole. What I mean is I want Max to be able to have his back to a wall before popping out and headshotting 3 mooks on his graceful way off a balcony. I hope they don’t put all the bad guys behind boxes though.

• sakmidrai says:

I can’t be optimistic. Look at the 1st screenshot.

• Thants says:

No, look, a cover system is completely out of place in a Max Payne game The ENTIRE design of the first two games was to get you to charge into combat head-first. A cover system is the exact opposite of that kind of gameplay.

• Ultra Superior says:

@sakmidrai Agree completely, cover system is poison. There is nothing wrong in taking cover, but the way it is forced and put before enjoyment of the gunfight is plain wrong. Max payne should be about bullet time, rolling and diving around. Cover ? Only good for reload.

• P7uen says:

Multiplayer would be quite good if you only control your own bullet time.

Just walking around normally seeing people slowly gliding through the air, gurning. Wouldn’t make for a great mechanic but I think it would be hilarious.

Actually, you could have a scoring system that gives no points for a kill in bullet time, only in normal time. Then everyone will be flying around slowly as much as possible no gunfire, gurning in silence.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d play that.

4. mbhlin says:

Top Payne game goods in http://bit.ly/5jbkVf ,there can help you to play games so easy

5. xavdeman says:

Not produced by Remedy anymore, neither written by Sam Lake.

Does Rockstar hate their heroes? Shave their hair, making them fat. Trying to make this the last part of the franchise? Max doesn’t have the body type for the muscled fat guy look. Also, why shave your head but not your face? Skinhead much, Max? The last screenshot looks decidedly more like Max Payne, but still the change in locale is jarring. Why does every game (MW2, too!) need a favella map? Does this game even resemble Max Payne 1 and 2, apart from the disfigured main character?

My hope was that they would base the sequel on the HARD (some would say, alternate) ending of Max Payne 2. A certain love interest lives and this would give them an opportunity to have her die at the start of Max Payne 3, like Max’s wife in the original, unleashing a whole new, more vicious Max on the underworld of some stormy city. We’ve had rain and snow, I thought it was time for storm. But they go with sun. The noir is weak in this one.

• Avish says:

So you hope they’ll turn Max Payne into some of an avenging Charles Bronson?

• xavdeman says:

In slow motion!

• Abundant_Suede says:

I actually find the idea of a franchise protagonist exhibiting signs of the passage of time, refreshing. I think its cool that Max is bald and packing a few extra pounds.

As long as he’s not riding on the back of a motorcycle clinging to Shia Lebeouf, I’m good with this.

6. ResonanceCascade says:

I’m pretty wary about this one. Hellishly protracted development cycle, brown art design, what appear to be cover mechanics — all red flags that this might just be another generic action game.

Max Paine was a breath of fresh air when it came out, and it had a very distinct sense of style that this looks to be completely lacking. Hope I’m wrong!

• Lucidity says:

Pains me to agree with you, well it’s not painful at all, infact, but I do feel a bit dirty for doing so!
      I’m a huge fan of Rockstar and I LOVE the Max Payne titles but I can’t help but feel this will be… Well, I’m sure it will be a good, solid, action game but not really convey the dark, morbid and intense atmosphere that Remedy brought to what amounted to a pretty groundbreaking series of games.

7. Peachum says:

He has a head full of hair in the bottom pic. So does that mean we’ll be playing a man battling his balding problem as well?

• JYzer says:

MiracleGrow, by L’Oréal. The hair product of choice for hard-fighting, bullet-dodging professionals everywhere. Because you’re worth it.

8. Eclipse says:

so he’s not bald, he just got his head shaved.. and he looks like a thug…boy this game is going to suck :( R.I.P. Max

• Shark says:

It’s a real Payne to see another good series going downwards

9. Gnoupi says:

Most of all, why are there covers in my Max Payne game?
    The whole series is based on a guy who throws himself on the ground to shoot in a cinematic slow-motion, he doesn’t need a cover!

• Lucidity says:

Yes, this is totally the essence of what Max Payne was always about, a complete mad man who threw himself at his enemies guns blazing!

10. Zyrocz says:

Anyone know if they use the comic book cut scenes in this one? From what few screenshots I’ve seen this doesn’t look like the Max Payne sequel we’ve been hoping for.

Anthile says:

Dad?

12. deadly.by.design says:

Pic #1: Chest high walls. Oh no…

I miss the real Max. Can we get a prequel or mid-chapter sequel? I’ll even take a ret-con to get the old Max back at this point.

13. fuggles says:

Old max went so far to avoid cover he threw himself violently away from it – The only reason he always looked so grumpy is because he had to touch the solid ground.

I liked self destructive trench coated Max.I like how the first game had a weirdness that veered to comedy, whereas the second one was all about the comedy, all underlined in tar with pathos.

14. kyrieee says:

Pre-emptive ‘fuck this game’

15. Persona Jet Rev says:

Judging from the graphics, they’re using RAGE (The Engine, not The Game) again. But I hope, for the game’s sake, that they won’t use the same unresponsive, sluggish controls from their previous games on this engine.

In any case, I can’t say I’m looking forward to this one.

• Magnetude says:

Yeah, I really hope Max has a sub-10ft turning circle in this one. Trying to manoeuvre indoors has always been a nightmare in RAGE games, and Max was a pretty snappy mover in the first two.

16. HexagonalBolts says:

Geez, what is it, national pessimism day?

• The Innocent says:

In the world of PC gaming, every day is “They’ve Murdered My Childhood Day.”

• xavdeman says:

More like, World Realism Day. But seriously, it’s World Literacy Day.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

It’s Max Payne man, you got to expect some grim, noire feelings.

17. Shooop says:

Mutliplayer in this game? What for? You can’t balance slow-motion diving gun battles online. And at normal speed it’s boring.

And the English translation of “deep reward and levelling system” is “CoD unlocks system”. Boo!

18. skinlo says:

Looks dull.

19. PleasingFungus says:

It’s a “quick cash grab” and has a “Hellishly protracted development cycle”?

Angry Internet Men, you confuse me.

20. LennyLeonardo says:

What the hell is going on with you people? This game looks great if you ask me. The Edge preview a couple of months back was extremely promising.
    Just becuase there’s a bit of sun doesn’t mean this isn’t Noir, and just because there’s a cover system doesn’t mean it isn’t still mostly diving through the air firing two guns.

Quick cash grab, my arse.

Phew, glad that comma is in the right place.

• poop II says:

unless they pull it off really well, the cover system is a sign that rockstar dont really get what makes the max payne gameplay so distinct : its the only game I can think of that isnt doom where you are safer out of cover and SUPERMANNIN THAT HO than you are in cover taking potshots like a baby

21. skyturnedred says:

I misread the first words as “buddy cop simulation” and was disappointed when I relearned how to read again. Buddy cop game could be awesome. Playing as Riggs in a Lethal Weapon game where it is just as important to shoot bad guys as it is to bust your partner’s balls (oh get your mind ouf the gutter!). And crazy stunts would be required too. On the other hand, playing the campaign as Murtaugh would involve stopping Riggs from doing stupid shit and/or saving his ass. And dancing in your boxers in the rain.

Also, dislocating your shoulder would need to have its own key.

22. Lucidity says:

I’m going to be a negative nancy and proclaim that the art style looks naff, at least, compared to the older titles, looks a bit like some sort of renderware? Also, a cover system isn’t needed in a Max Payne title! What else can I moan about…? Oh yes!
    It’s also disappointing to hear that Sam Lake and Remedy aren’t in any way involved (Yes, my home under that rock is comfortable) so from a fans perspective (that’s just me though, not generally!) of Max Payne 3… I’m already underwhelmed.

23. vash47 says:

>”a deep reward and levelling system”
    What a rotten way to die.

24. Abundant_Suede says:

it sounds like they are they trying to pull an xcom here and paste a franchise name on top of something completely different just to get the go ahead from their corporate overlords

No. Let’s not dilute the Xcom situation by applying that phrase willy nilly. Despite possible changes in tone or appearance, and new features, the game is still ostensibly a third person shooter with a single player campaign.

In order to “pull an Xcom” here, the game would have to be an entirely different genre, like a side scrolling 2D brawler, or perhaps a city management sim.

25. jay35 says:

Dude in the screenshot looks like his right arm is in a sling, yet he’s charging into enemy fire. What a badass.

26. Thants says:

Nothing could be more out of place in a Max Payne game than a cover system. Except maybe multiplayer.

27. Navagon says:

This is the sort of thing I’d expect from Ubisoft.

28. wazups2x says:

Max Payne is ruined. Remedy should have developed this, Rockstar doesn’t have a clue.

• Grobmotoriker says:

I would prefer 10 MP2 DLCs made by REMEDY instead of this drunken uncle cover in the sun crap. But those guys already pissed us all off with their M$ Alan Wake X-Box Deal which was a shot in the foot for them, so …

29. poop II says:

cover system :’(

oh well, still more faithful then XCOM