Menshoots: See Rage’s Co-Op Mode In Action

By Jim Rossignol on September 8th, 2011 at 4:18 pm.

I was talking to an American recently about this stuff and he called it bro-op. And I set him on fire.
It’s often the case that companies release one trailer that gives away more about how a game will actually play that all the other trailers combined. I get the feeling this might be the one for Rage, which really does seem to convey a lot about how the game is going to look and play, present its UI, and everything else. Perhaps it’s something to do with being able to see a player’s viewpoint and at the same time seeing him from the perspective of his buddy, but I’m getting a really good sense of how the game will deliver itself from this. Take a look and see if you agree.

That’s some two-player action, alright. And, being an Id game, it reminds of that first time I hooked up two PCs with a serial cable so that I could co-op Doom. Seminal. Seminal.

Everything is better with friends. Except sitting in a small bath-tub. Get out of my tub, you bastards!

, , .

1. Dana says:

I never thought Ill have to buy a new harddrive to install a game…

• LostViking says:

If you have less than 50 GB of free space that would happen pretty soon anyway ;)

2. Serge says:

I don’t get one thing.

Why recently developers stopped adding full story coop and decided to add some clunky coop mini games instead?

• Xiyng says:

I don’t get it either. Those mini-missions are too, umm, ‘casual’ (not sure if it’s the right word here) for me to be able to enjoy them.

• Askeladd says:

Dead Island, buy it if you can! :D

• Brumisator says:

Becasue games that have a big enough testing budget fine-tune their games to have just the right amount of stuff going on for one player, difficulty curve, etc.

And in dedicated coop scenarios, you can have cool stuff like two player puzzles, diverging paths to gover your buddy from a new angle, etc.

• mollemannen says:

looks like someone haven’t played system shock 2 coop ^^

• Mctittles says:

I’ll add in Resident Evil 5 for one of my favorite full campaign co-op games. Also Borderlands was pretty decent in that regard.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Gears of War 1 on Insanity difficulty. Pretty much the best co-op there is.

3. deadly.by.design says:

Any chance that Gearbox can use this engine and run a Posterize Edges filter on it for Borderlands 2?

Oh well.

• Mad Hamish says:

Yeah idTech is for the Zenimax family only. Lookin forward to Elder Scrolls 6 though.

4. Alaric says:

How dare you set Americans on fire?!

• Jim Rossignol says:

It was just in my mind. Where people from all nations burn equally fiercely.

• Gnoupi says:

I think Transylvanians have a bonus for that, though.

• Ultra-Humanite says:

Anybody who uses a foul monstrosity of a word like “bro-op” deserves to be set on fire with the mind, I don’t care what their nationality, religion, race or favorite choice of pie is.

5. Shooop says:

I want it yesterday.

6. gou says:

He’s right there, come out, he’s right there…
    Instantly vanishing corpses :| at least doom 3 made a perfunctory effort when they burned away
    also, he’s right there

7. Njordsk says:

Am I the only one to not like much coop? i love solo, and do love multiplayer matches. But I find coop boring and generally way too simple.

Last one I did was portal 2 and was brilliant though

• nubbuka says:

It depends on the game, as you mentioned out.
      There are single player games that could have been the best co-op experiences.
      And there are co-op games that seem too easy the way they are and do not require a second player.
      If it was in my control I’d make most of the games with a co-op option, regardless of their level or story.

• Vandelay says:

Adding unnecessary co-op seems to be the thing in this gaming season. Although I agree with Jim that things are better with friends (even small bath tubs, with the right friend,) I think the games themselves are often mediocre. Imagine playing most co-op games with AI, even if it were the best AI ever created, would probably be dull. With friends, it only needs to be mildly distracting.

There are exceptions, of course, Portal 2 being the most recent example.

• Kadayi says:

Well the key is obviously to make it not simply a case of more enemies, but about working together achieve goals. It will be interesting to see how much emphasis is placed on that, Vs loads of mobs.

• Jesus H Christ says:

I absolutely love co-op. If only i had someone to play with…

Although i do enjoy playing with myself..

• treat says:

The key isn’t the coop itself, but having an established system for coop will give modders both an easier time developing a coop experience as well as a boost up in convincing people to try their experiences, since people know it’s there and already works.

• Tom De Roeck says:

I think DXHR with double the amount of enemies, that are 100% stronger, as well as only half the praxis points, would make for an interesting game.. or even triple the amount of enemies.

8. The Innocent says:

Looking forward to this.

9. Xiyng says:

Wait. When did they announce co-op for Rage?

Also, which version is this from? I see ‘E’ mentioned a lot which hints to PC, but I also see split-screen and some horrible aiming which hints to consoles.

• DK says:

PC version. But being played on a gamepad. It’s stupid as all hell. Par for the course for “The PC is dead except when we want to talk about graphics” ID and “console uber alles” Bethesda.

• Xiyng says:

Pad? And an ‘E’ button?

• Starky says:

Nothing wrong with playing some games, even single player FPS games on a game pad – many, many gamers do you know – simple because many of us enjoy using our superior PCs as living room gaming systems too.

Obviously M&K is better when you’re playing online, or sat at a desk anyway, and a flat requirement for PC competitive play.

That said, M&K is seriously shit when sat on a couch – and I’ve tried, with mini wireless setups and a little tray to sit them on, even tried a keyboard with a laptop trackpad built in.

Controllers are just better for couch gaming.

• DK says:

“Pad? And an ‘E’ button?”
      Prompts for E does not mean you actually press E. How many shoddy ports prompt for Xbox buttons and expect a keyboard input on PC (answer: a lot). It goes both ways.
      Just because they’re playing it on PC, doesn’t mean they’re not playing it with a gamepad – which is easily appearent on the sluggish, 1 axis-at-a-time movement.

• max pain says:

2 shotgun misses from 1 meter away. I’ll stick to my mouse thank you very much.

10. Rhin says:

He’s right there!

Right WHERE?!?! I wish the canned phrases would at least bother to specify things like “He’s around the corner”, “He’s on the balcony” etc.

• Kadayi says:

Agreed there. If they aren’t conveying anything tactically relevant all they are going to do is either confuse or frustrate people.

• Shooop says:

The F.E.A.R. series does that.

11. somini says:

Co-op in the same PC? 2 Mouses and 2 Keyboards?
    Is that what’s in show here? What was the last time a game allowed it?

• Gnoupi says:

I think Trine did. Not sure about two keyboards, but the mouse, yes

• Silver says:

justified question!

• Starky says:

I for one wish games would offer “split screen” (normal split screen, or 1 PC with 2 screens, 1 screen each player – which can be done easily simply by supporting, LAN, 2 instances, and borderless windowed mode) – 1 M&K, and 1 gamepad (or both gamepad).

Used to do it with borderlands all the time – which required a .ini edit for windowed mode, and a autohotkey script to make it borderless (it can make any windowed game borderless – I use it in magicka to play fullscreen without the stutter also).

My console toy only friends were fucking amazed when I’d throw them a controller, and fire up co-op and we’d each have our own 32″ screen.

Turned a few of them converts to PC with that demo – nothing like a £500 HTPC that can run 2 copies of borderlands at 1080p at med-high graphics (much better than xbox graphics) and output it to 2 screens.

12. Yosharian says:

Looks cool, but … a bit easy? Those voices are annoying. ‘He’s over there!’ That was annoying the first time I heard it.

13. BathroomCitizen says:

Is there a lightning gun in the game? If not, there should be one.
    Anyway, I loved those silly sounds that the point counter sometimes makes. bwoooong! ZaaAAM!

Other new FPS usually miss those arcadey sounds. And then it’s a shame.

14. skyturnedred says:

I can’t decide which half of the screen to watch!

15. ZIGS says:

I still can’t get over how bad the textures look. I really hope they release a hi-def texture pack, like they said they might

• ulix says:

And I still can’t get over how incredibly, fantastically good the art-design of the world looks. I want that game right now.

If I’d have to choose between good 3D-Art-Design or good textures, I’d take art-design any day.

• ZIGS says:

It’s 2011, I’ll take both please

• wodin says:

Funny enough I thought the game looks superb with some of the best animation I’ve yet see….I mean have you seen the textures in Space Marine….good god almighty….not sure they even hit on the res scale let alone low res.

16. haisaik says:

Sex tool for sell that you will like them ,welcome to http://tinyurl.com/3zogvql

• Splynter says:

At least it’s better than shoes… A man can never have too many things on his tool belt.

17. Vandelay says:

This is Id. Where the fuck is my fast paced deathmatch mode?!

Other than that, game looks a lot of fun.

18. Balobam says:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Another shooter! Just what I’ve always dreamed of!

Seriously though, it looks fun, but it doesn’t look too different from any of the other 10 gazillion FPS’s out there.

• ulix says:

Open world, quests. Incredible art design.

• elfbarf says:

I’m not seeing what’s so new about it either, “Open world FPS with quests” has already been done in several other games (see Fallout:NV/Borderlands). I’ll admit the graphics/art design look nice in this segment but they’re only able to add so much detail because they’re going down a hallway. If it was an actual open town things would be more spread out/less detailed.

• ulix says:

Except that Fallout NV and Fallpot 3 were more RPGs than FPSs (they had a skill system, moral choices, and I did not shoot one thing in these games in real time).

And Borderlands wasn’t really open world, despite it also not being a pure FPS, more of an action RPG (also had skills, and a lot of numbers associated with the weapons).

• elfbarf says:

So Rage is like Fallout:NV with less features, more polish, and better graphics?

• Covmeister says:

It doesn’t have to do anything new if its a lot of fun and plays well. Fallout/Borderlands etc are fun. I welcome another addition as long as its decent.

• Abundant_Suede says:

I think the proper comparison is closer to S.T.A.L.K.E.R than Borderlands or Fallout3/Fallout New Vegas. The latter games aren’t pure shooters. They have hybrid RPG mechanics with stat based components. Although the vehicle aspects are reminiscent of BL.

19. barsanuphe says:

shit, i was excited about that one (got the preorder as a present). it looks and plays like a less cartoonish mod for borderlands. and i’ve already played borderlands for countless hours.

20. pupsikaso says:

Ugh, why does it look so cod-like? Do we really need nonsensical numbers popping up IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN all the freaking time? RAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE

21. Magnetude says:

Splitscreen? This just shuffled its way onto my radar.

22. Demiath says:

Everything is better with friends.

Every fiber of my nerdy being dissolves into vile, glittering troll dust at the mere thought of an actual physical human being out there who genuinely believes this to be true in relation to video gaming. To think that something as beautiful as friendship would ruin my favorite pastime…

23. Robin says:

I see a fairly coarse shooting action (for id standards) , bloody screen so real, usual unidirectional-tunnel level design, a vehicle section with autoaim (provided I understood well) that I don’t get what’s fun/interesting about.
    Content-wise it seems to compete with a stalker game, more than with Fallout: New Vegas.
    Remains this potentially interesting and well realized setting (though not novel) and a potential interesting story.. but overall I just don’t see anything particularly notable about it.

I don’t know.

24. Jubaal says:

As much as I like the look of this does anyone else think that the UI takes up a lot of needless space? I’m sure they could have made that much more compact. It is taking up almost a third of the screen!

• Lucidity says:

I’m sure there will be some third party tweaks for the UI at some point after release, it’s the beauty of PC gaming after all :)

I agree with you though, I’m not sold on the UI but it’s about the only piece of (non) criticism I can aim at the game so far, an Id title is always something to look forward to!

• Jubaal says:

Aye, I have it on pre-order. It is really the only criticism I could come up with, which is pretty good in a way. It should keep me tied over until Borderlands 2!

• myaltisa says:

oops!!

• ulix says:

~11.25%, not a third.

(and I’m being generous here, thinking of all the UI elements as rectangles)

• elnalter says:

yes it will keep you ‘tied’ over, such is such in a doggy dog world for all intensive purposes

25. mbhlin says:

Top game goods in http://bit.ly/5jbkVf ,there can help you to play games so easy

26. Lucidity says:

I think it looks superb but I’m not a fan of the UI which I think is a bit conspicious, not a deal breaker of course, however the disappearing corpses thing just looks flat out strange!
    A bit too much in the direction of Virtua Cop by my estimation, which looks a bit weird given the game’s post apocalyptic and gritty setting! Doom 3 did the same thing but even then the Daemons sort of faded out in a gory burning fashion, as opposed to just vanishing.

Ealry days though and I’m looking forward to the game more than ever, didn’t even realize it was going to feature a bit of co-op which is always a welcome addition even if it’s not a real dedicated feature (implemented alongside the SP portion of the game for instance) as It’s always a fun diversion with a friend.

27. Sir-Lucius says:

I know Valve doesn’t have the rights to the “sounds like a muffled walkie talkie” voice effect but I still couldn’t help but think “What are Combine doing in an id game?” when I heard the first enemy.

28. Tei says:

The players on the video where really bad at using a control pad. Was painful to watch. But I am happy the game has some MP other than cars.

• Lucidity says:

Were they using control pads? Whenever they interact with an object, the usual ‘E’ to manipulate appeared, most obvious on the wheel that’s turned within the first minute.

29. hello_mr.Trout says:

question – why is it so hard to keep bodies in game after they have been killed or whatnot? just having them fade away has always irked me

• Lucidity says:

I have no idea but it irked me too. I’ve not played Quake 4, was it a feature of that game too? I only ask because Doom 3 also did away with enemy corpses, and it was pretty strange even back then.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Lots of lingering corpses have potential performance impact. It can also sometimes clutter environments that players will need to tread over multiple times, diminishing accessibility.

Often times there’s an internal setting somewhere to affect the level of corpse persistsency.

30. sneetch says:

The level of chatter makes me think of this.

SHUT UP badguys! Or rather SHUT UP badguy as it seems to be the same bloody person saying every bloody thing.

31. cluongo says:

I dont trust this game. This will be another bugged crap release, you all have my word. If I am wrong, I will eat poop.

32. myaltisa says:

This looked a little too ‘Playstation’ for me. I hope it is not a sign of how the DLC is going to go, as I am hoping for some beefy single play campaign addons.

33. kwyjibo says:

Iron sights in an id game :(

34. Bungle says:

Oh boy. More automatic weapons with no recoil. Gotta compensate for the consoles’ thumbsticks!

35. Iskariot says:

The dead bodies are disappearing to fast. I never liked that.

36. skurmedel says:

You can play Dirt 3 split-screen on the same PC. It’s quite fun too. I found it better than singleplayer.

(reply fail again…)

37. Squishpoke says:

Again with the “Bethesda Softworks Presents…”

On top of that, it’s the first thing you see in this video.

This is getting pretty insulting. No offense, Bethesda, but just go hide in a dark hole and never come back.

• mejoff says:

Uh… Yeah! How dare publishers put their names on the things they publish!

Every time I see that Marvel logo on the cover of an X-Men comic, I just want to punch Stan Lee!

38. Zulthar says:

What the hell is up with all this +50 and “BRUTAL!” and “AWESOME” in every FPS these days? It’s ugly and dumb. I really hope there’s an option to disable that crap.
    The interface in general looks too cluttered.

And why do corpses disappear pretty much instantly? This is the PC version goddamnit.

It’s pretty and the animations are nice but besides that it really doesn’t look as exciting as I was hoping…

39. Mikkoeronen says:

I have my fate on Id software to patch pc version to rid those floating points and some extra console stuff (even via option or console command).

40. Bweahns says:

This game looks bland, scripted on rails gameplay experience complete with sniper pistols and text popping up allerting you to how many points you scored every few seconds. I was hoping this might be ok after reading a few articles about this recently but I’m back to thinking it will be as shit as I first imagined. This is most definitely a console focused release.

• Lucidity says:

Where have you been for the past 6 years? Practically EVERY new game with a lardge budget is console focused!

41. Persona Jet Rev says:

Woah, what a negativity here. I’m not sure if this game deserves to be dismissed based on this coop footage. It looks to me that the coop part (didn’t know Rage was getting that, by the way) is more akin to Bulletstorms score attack mode.

42. laurent says:

Enemies evaporate ?!
    enemies EVAPORATE ? WTF !!
    I want to loot them and kick them around ! Hell I want to stack them and use the stack to climb around obstacles.

man up, id !

43. Squishpoke says:

ZeniMax is the publisher.