Rabbiting On: The Overgrowth Interview

By Jim Rossignol on September 8th, 2011 at 10:06 am.

Rabbit, kicked.
Overgrowth is a game about anthropomorphic animals fighting each other. It looks awesome. When things look awesome I tend to like to talk to the people who made them, and that’s what happened here. I talked to David Rosen, Overgrowth developer Wolfire’s lead programmer. You can read our question and answer session below. It is highly informative.

RPS: What is Overgrowth? And I mean really *what is it*!? The emphasis means: “What are the fundamental design principles and ultimate aspirations of your game?” Something like that.

Rosen: The fundamental design goal for Overgrowth is to create combat encounters that look like choreographed martial arts scenes in films, but are actually closely controlled by the player. This control is exercised on many levels: at the highest level you can move freely across the terrain and choose how you want to approach each objective. At the lowest level, there are always decisions to make; you’re never stuck in unbreakable combos or non-interactive animations.

Another goal is much simpler: just make the game work well with modern PC gaming habits. This means windowed mode support, alt-tab support, graphics and control options, a permanent online download link, no splash screens, and no online drm.

RPS: I’ve been watching some of your trailers, and that bit where the rabbit was all bleeding and stuff… that was a bit dark?

Rosen: Yes, yes it was. In Overgrowth, there will often be choices between different levels of violence. There’s no “good and evil” bar or any other judgement of the player, but I think it’s important to do our best to depict the consequences of your actions, at least as much as we can within the scope of the game. If you don’t want to see enemies bleed out from their necks, then maybe you shouldn’t go around cutting their throats!

This was one of the major reasons for using animal hybrid creatures instead of humans — I really wanted to show serious physical trauma and pain, and to do that I have to watch these gaping wounds and broken limbs over and over again to make sure they are working correctly. I just don’t want to spend all day watching that happen to real humans or animals. It bothers me a lot less to see it happen to creatures that don’t actually exist.

RPS: Tell me a bit more about what players will experience in Overgrowth? What will happen as I go around beating up dudebeasts?

Rosen: The game is generally broken down into missions, which usually involve beating up dudebeasts to some degree. For example, you might have to infiltrate a raider camp and retrieve something, and it’s up to you exactly how you’d like to do that. Usually there are a number of conflicting meta-objectives in action games, such as progressing the story, acquiring loot and upgrades, and getting achievements. In Overgrowth, we’re thinking of splitting these into different modes, so they don’t conflict. For example, the story mode would have series of missions with a continuous plot, the challenge mode would have missions that you need to beat in a specific way to demonstrate your skill, and the arena mode would have you fighting in matches as a gladiator, and acquiring new weapons, armor and skills.

RPS: You’re obviously relishing experimenting with technology to get this done, what has been the most interesting bit so far, and why?

Rosen: It’s hard to pick just one thing, but I think procedural animation is the most important technology I’ve been playing with, because it lets us make the controls much more responsive. This probably sounds like a non-sequitur, so I’ll elaborate. There are usually two ways to transition from one animation to the next: the first method is to simply cut or cross-fade from one to the next, which usually looks pretty unrealistic. The second method addresses this problem by creating a transition animation, for example, bridging an ‘idle’ to ‘run’ transition with a ‘start running’ animation. This looks great in videos and trailers, but if you actually play the game, it can feel clunky and laggy — the controls frequently stop responding to allow a transition animation to play.

In Overgrowth, I try to smooth over transitions using procedural constraints, such as maintaining the angular momentum of the torso and arms as much as possible, and driving acceleration tilts and dips separately from keyframe animations. This allows cross-fade transitions to look alright without interfering with the character physics, so the controls are always as responsive as possible.

RPS: What did being a part of the first Humble Indie Bundle mean for you guys? (I totally know this stuff because I was at GDC! But it’s nice to have it related to our readers.)

Rosen: The income from the HIB was really helpful, but more importantly, it raised a lot of good will toward Wolfire and spread awareness of Lugaru. We have a thread in the “secret preorder forum” asking customers how they heard about us, and they often mention the Humble Bundle. It was so successful that Jeff and John split it off into a separate company so they could focus on running future bundles while Aubrey and I work on Overgrowth.

RPS: How much has Overgrowth’s development relied on feedback from its community? Is that a route you’d recommend to other indies? Are there any problems generated by having a close community?

Rosen: We have a clear vision of what the game should be like, so feedback doesn’t alter the course too much, but it can change smaller things. For example, people kept requesting a ‘flail’ animation for when characters fall too far, so I added one, since it seemed easy enough. Then every week they kept finding problems with it, so I iterated on it a couple more times and eventually we had a pretty nice flail animation.

It can be stressful showing off a work-in-progress every week, because there are always unfinished bits. Some people always point to them and yell “That’s terrible! You’re terrible at making games!” And of course those parts aren’t great, they’re not done yet. But you just have to develop a thick skin for that kind of thing.

RPS: Do you guys have a pet rabbit? Work closely with real rabbits? Any other rabbit data I could collect here?

Rosen: I don’t have much experience with rabbits — the only rabbit data I have is that real rabbits don’t make much noise, so we had to splice together other animal noises to create vocalizations for them. I have some dog data too; the company Wolfire is named after a dog that Jeff and I used to have, called Wolfie.

RPS: What challenges still lie ahead for you in making Overgrowth?

Rosen: The challenge is just doing so much work with so few people! We have to finish the combat system, then work on the different mission types and AI variants, then put together the story, challenges, and arena missions. Then lots of balancing, testing and optimization, and then we should be done.

RPS: What other indie game are you most excited about? And no equivocation! You must choose a favourite and therefore imply that all other indie games are somehow worse/depressing/doomed.

Rosen: I usually don’t pay much attention to games until I can actually play them, and once I’ve played through them, I can’t exactly be excited about them anymore. However, I haven’t tried Journey by ThatGameCompany, and the trailers looked interesting, so I guess I can be excited about that.

RPS: Thanks for your time.

, , , .

1. PanzerVaughn says:

I couldn’t get into Lugaru, everything seemed too slippery and fastpaced.

2. Symitri says:

“The fundamental design goal for Overgrowth is to create combat encounters that look like choreographed martial arts scenes in films, but are actually closely controlled by the player.”

I’d never heard of this game until now but after reading that line and watching the video, I’m excited.

• Ruffian says:

me too. the combat is coming along very nicely I would say, smooth and responsive. You can jump like a crazy man too which makes for some very cool free running. The only thing that sucks about it is it’s still quite aways away from being a finished game. which makes me sad. Keep it up wolfire!

3. Teddy Leach says:

The challenge modes in Lugaru were bastard hard. I’m glad to see challenges are coming back.

Tom De Roeck says:

Hm. I personally dont care about DRM in the slightest, but making a statement about “no online DRM” is a pretty bold one. I assume he does not account for Steam then?

mrwonko says:

So far, you can only preorder the game on their website which grants you access to the current alpha version – DRM free. They’ll probably continue to sell it like that once it’s done, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t also release it on Steam.

• jon_hill987 says:

I’m assuming you will be able to buy it direct.
      Sure it may be available on Steam and in which case it will have Steam DRM, but as long as it isn’t a Steamworks game, the game does not have DRM even if one method of buying it adds DRM.

• Pnikosis says:

As far as I know, there will be a Steam release indeed. If I remember right by preordering (I preorderred some time ago) you have access to the alpha versions, a DRM free download when it’s released, and a Steam Key.

James G says:

I suppose its also possible that the Steam release will lack DRM. It’s already true for a few games on there (mainly the DOSbox ones) so must be technically possible.

• LostViking says:

You can play Steam games offline, so I don’t see how that would count as online DRM?

Frankly I don’t care if Steam games have DRM or not as long as they behave like other Steam games.

5. Derppy says:

Nice article.

The guys working on this are amazing programming wizards. The engine features a ton of stuff you never see in other, even triple-A titles.

I was amazed how well their in-game editor’s model rigging and animation worked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RpqbC5-Z0E

Haven’t seen sharpness maps like this before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpXEZlRUaso&feature=player_detailpage#t=36s (0:36)

There’s just a ton of great stuff. Anyone interested in game engines should really check their 30 last alpha videos.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, I’ve said previously that I really hope they open up their engine/tools to other indies somehow because the tech they’ve pulled off really does look very impressive and it would be a shame to see it only used for a beat’em’up (even if that is probably the most direct application of it).

Edit: holy cow, I thought those sharpness textures were going to be for some kind of shiny effect, not for determining sort-of inverse per-pixel locational damage for “this bit’s sharp”. That’s bonkers. I love these guys.

#130 has it raining swords!

6. torchedEARTH says:

Lettuce rejoice!

• Abundant_Suede says:

That’s some hare-raising action.

• jon_hill987 says:

I hop you are proud of yourselves…

• Abundant_Suede says:

Come on, you know these puns tickle your bunny-bone.

• Muzman says:

Rabbit-fire pun action carrot be stopped

• Burning Man says:

We feast on carrots tonight!

Man Raised by Puffins says:

Hares are not rabbits. I’ll warrent that they may be easily confused, but that is still no excuse for such a myx-up.

bear912 says:

So if the goal is to “create combat encounters that look like choreographed martial arts scenes in films”, does that mean it’s supposed to be like a leporine-actment?

• Abundant_Suede says:

It’s going to be a long ear if we don’t start to curtail the factual errors in our puns hare on RPS.

• mejoff says:

“Hares are not rabbits. I’ll warren that they may be easily confused, but that is still no excuse for such a myx-up.”

FTFY

Man Raised by Puffins says:

So much for being subtle. /Payne

Now shush your bun hole. :p

• drlemon says:

Come on, everybody knows that there will always be buns. It’s RPS!

• siread says:

The quality of these puns is dropping.

• LionsPhil says:

We’ve scraped clean through the bottom of the barrel and started burrowing into the earth.

7. frenz0rz says:

That rabbit chap at the end writhing on the floor with blood spurting out of his neck, and slowly ceasing to twitch as he died?

That was easily one of the grimmest things I’ve seen in a game.

• mickygor says:

I agree. I think it’s the only thing that’s actually irked me, in any media.

• Dominic White says:

The whole damage model in the game is brutally realistic. Mis-time a somersault and smack your head against a wall and it can instantly kill you. Wounds bleed, the wounded writhe around until they pass out, etc. The dynamic animations are great, too. If you get kicked hard, you’ll roll across the ground, your character automatically bringing hands and knees up to protect himself.

• hello_mr.Trout says:

^ harden up buttercup

• LionsPhil says:

What are you talking about? Haven’t games desenitized you to being a murderer?

Surely Fox would never lie to me, and the reduced reaction to all the death and mutilation of most games could be because it’s so cartoonish.

• tyrsius says:

It was definitely the realistic twitching that did it. Most games just ragdoll, or drop motionless. Bleeding at that point is ineffectual.

But the twitching. It got me, too.

• meatshit says:

Honestly, I laughed at the juxtaposition of cute rabbit men and over the top violence. It’s like something out of Happy Tree Friends.

8. Abundant_Suede says:

Furries creep me out in general, but I do think a Watership Down RPG would be pretty cool.

• JFS says:

I hate you for suggesting this. It’s bad enough that this film even exists.

• Wulf says:

Misanthropic right-wing gamers creep me out, but hey, to each their own.

That said, I do support anything based on the Watership Down IP.

• Abundant_Suede says:

@Wulf

If that was directed at me, I’ll cop to misanthropic, but is there something specific I’ve done to warrant the “right wing” tag? Just curious. I don’t recall railing against any liberal environmental conspiracies in video games or condemning RPS for not denouncing Muslim games lately. But then, I do drink a lot.

[Edit] Ah. I think I understand now. Judging by other posts in this thread, you seem to be angered by what you perceive as “Furry-bashing”.

Let me be clear. Where I come from the term “furry” is used interchangeably to describe fans of anthropomorphized animals, or the anthropomorphized animals themselves. I thought I might have that wrong, but Urban Dictionary seems to bear that out.

That was the manner in which my statement was intended, at the characters themselves. I dont have any problems with any human’s lifestyle as long as they’re not infringing on anyone else’s lifestyle or freedoms either.

But I do find anthropomorphized animals unsettling for a variety of reasons. Especially rabbits. Partly from watching Watership Down as a kid, partly because of the Donnie Darko flashbacks.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding here, though I still fail to see how “right wing” applies.

• Shooop says:

“Furries” is usually reserved for the terribly, terribly depraved individuals who sexualize anthros in most my understanding.

As long as the rabbits are hitting each other with sharp objects and not humping, it’s all good I say.

• Commisar says:

Yeah, I am going to go with Abundant_Suede here and define “furries’ as the types of people in that one CSI episode, the ones who dress up in animal costumes and have orgies. That kind. now that that is out of the way, I think overgrowth is looking great.

• Lazaruso says:

Drowned? That’s a tad unsympathetic, considering it’s illegal for a furry to mate with the object of their true desires so they’re forced into the agony of a normal heterosexual relationship with another human.

• pipman3000 says:

All this talk of drowning people is creeping me out.

And we say games don’t make you violent :(

9. Drake Sigar says:

This is gold! 24 carrot to be exact.

10. arrjayjee says:

Will we only be able to play as rabbits? Nothing against them, but different types of animals would be cool too.

• Dominic White says:

Not sure if the campaign will let you switch sides, but in the current alpha you can already play as wolves (see the top screenshot) and there’s rats, cats and dogs planned as well.

Looks like each race will have a very different fighting style. Wolves play wildly different from rabbits, mostly being about big swinging claw attacks and huge kicks, but comparatively little evasion.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Roger that. I wouldn’t mind playing as some Bugs, before my interest Peters out.

mrwonko says:

Even if it’s not possible in the normal game, it can be easily modded. Currently, anyway – and I don’t see them abandoning that.

• Unaco says:

I don’t care about Rabbits and shit. Said it a couple times… I’d be all over this game if it wasn’t for the anthropomorphic animals.

• godgoo says:

@ Abundant_Suede:

That was a stealthy rabbit based pun-o-rama; No one even noticed!

• Abundant_Suede says:

That was a stealthy rabbit based pun-o-rama; No one even noticed!

I came in burrow the radar.

• Mad Hamish says:

@Unaco
      anthropomorphism bothers you that much that you’d pass up a possibly great game? or are you just saying that to be contrary?

• Unaco says:

“anthropomorphism bothers you that much that you’d pass up a possibly great game?”

This (although, by virtue of featuring anthropomorphic animals, it probably wouldn’t be a great game for me). I can’t take anthropomorphic animals seriously… even if they are tearing throats out and breaking bones. They remind me of cartoons, they always come across as slightly childish, immature, sanitised almost.

• Wulf says:

The way they’ve been writing the comic and some of the stuff hinted at in the art pieces does suggest that throughout the campaign we might be playing as cats, dogs, rabbits, and outcast wolves.

Playing a wolf in the alpha is an absolute blast because they actually control differently! No, really, if you haven’t tried this then try it. They land heavier, they feel heavier in general, and the way in which they move is just different. You can actually feel their gait in a way that I’ve never really experienced with a game. When you switch from rabbit to wolf, there’s a massive difference, and I can only hope that they reproduce that difference with cats.

I’d love to see cats in the game have flexible spines with scalloped armour, using their flexibility through such armour to give them extra mobility that the other races might not have. The way a cat’s spine works makes them very flexible, exceedingly so. It would be a way to do differentiate the cats from the heavy wolves and the light, bouncy rabbits.

• Mad Hamish says:

The contrast might work well for you then. The cute and cuddly anthros brutally slicing the crap out of each other. Watership Down really stuck in my brain as a kid for that very reason. It was the first time I’d seen cartoon characters get violent and kill each other. It was quite a shock. Kinda like that bleeding out bunny at the end of the vid.

I watch cartoons before I go to work every morning though, so I may be biased. I think the mechanics of this game look too good to pass up just because of an issue with anthros. Also put on some Spongebob in the mornin while you eat your breakfast, it’ll grow on ya.

11. McDan says:

“Hope you enjoyed the video with the updates! Now here is a rabbit thing very painfully bleeding to death.” Everytime I see more of this game I get so excited, it will be excellent, as it looks so far.

12. Manburger says:

Great interview! David is a prodigy.
    I’m quite excited for Overgrowth! I was a fairly early adopter, and I’ve been following it since it was just good ol’ Lugaru 2. Time flies! I’ve been able to keep my hype-meter up by playing the alpha builds; I always walk away feeling like “oh shit, they’ve got something golden here”.

13. povu says:

This game is looking to be pretty damn awesome. That combat and bleeding system is definitely something special.

14. BobsLawnService says:

It looks great but I really wish they wouldn’t try to be so over-ambitious with the open world stuff,etc. I’d buy this is it was a nicely polished Watership Down mixed with Double Dragon. As it is I’m curious but not confident that it will actually be a well rounded game.

• jon_hill987 says:

Narrowing the focus might not be a bad idea. Doing a beat ‘em up like Tekken might be a good use of the tech without being overstretching and would be a game I would like to play.

I’m sure they know what they are doing and will pull it off though.

• BobsLawnService says:

I was thinking that is is awesome tech and using it to first create a really tight Double Dragon/Golden Axe type game at first and making some bucks would allow them to. Be more ambitious with the second game using the tech. They would also iron out any production niggles, etc.

15. mjig says:

This makes me want a Redwall game. I mean, I don’t really remember that much about Redwall, but I remember that it was awesome, and I’d like to see it in a game.

• jon_hill987 says:

I suspect they are not as good as we both remember, a lot of kids books aren’t.

• Theory says:

Robin Jarvis’ work is a better comparison. Goriest, scariest children’s books ever.

• Jesse L says:

I reread Mossflower several months ago. Hadn’t read any since I was a kid (so, not for 20 years) and was pleased to find it mostly held up. It’s much more simple than I remembered, and the characters are a little thinner, but there are still a lot of lively personalities, the big journey to Salamandastron feels like an adventure, the story moves along at a nice pace, and the food still sounds so, so good.

Also, Martin the warrior mouse is a hardass no matter how old you are, and the scene where Boar the badger goes joyously and suicidally berserk on a shipload of pirate rats would make a Space Marine proud. You didn’t see that kind of material in many young adult books when I was growing up…

Brian Jacques just passed away this year, by the way. Rereading one of his books was a nice memorial.

• mondomau says:

“Brian Jacques just passed away this year, by the way.”

Well now you’ve gone and made me sad.

• Wulf says:

Redwall actually still stands up really well. It does some unusual things, and some very clever things, that make it stand out from the crowd all in all. And against any similar books I’ve read recently, for adults or kids, I find that it stands up pretty damn well. There are parts which have become somewhat questionable with age, of course, but that’s true of any book.

• pipman3000 says:

Imagine all the richly detailed food they could portray with this tech :D Even with everything maxed out you’d still get 120 FPS (Feasts per second)

16. Muzman says:

This looks like the most intense, lethal brawler since Jedi Outcast with realistic saber damage turned on. (looks like it tops that easily, actually.)

Man Raised by Puffins says:

Edit: nothing to see here.

Edit 2: Though perhaps I should say that this game of dudebeasts kicking the living stuffing out of each other is looking rather swell.

Ninja Dodo says:

I think it’s really interesting to watch a game be slowly built like this, completely in the open. There are some really refreshing ideas in there, stuff mainstream devs haven’t even touched on.

I love little things like making lens flare work like it would for a human eye (rather than a camera), the sharpness mapping, or the way the animation is handled…

19. Ashpolt says:

He says he used to have a dog called Wolfie?

OH GOD HE’S A TERMINATOR GET OUT OF THERE JIM WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

20. Monkeh says:

“For example, the story mode would have series of missions with a continuous plot, the challenge mode would have missions that you need to beat in a specific way to demonstrate your skill, and the arena mode would have you fighting in matches as a gladiator, and acquiring new weapons, armor and skills.”

That sounds very nice! Pre-ordered this game ages ago and been enjoying the alpha releases ever since.

21. ShedMonkey says:

Any old farts like me remember Samurai Warrior on the Spectrum, featuring Stan Sakai’s Usagi Yojimbo? Would make a perfect background / plot setting for this game.

• Wulf says:

Hahaha, yep, I remember Usagi Yojimbo.

And I have to say that this game is probably at least a little bit lightly inspired by it. But it’s a good thing to be inspired by.

• eclipse mattaru says:

High five! I was about to post exactly that.

“Show respect, samurai!” >:(

22. Schmung says:

Really hope there is some sort of modding support in this because it would enable the making of a proper action FPS ala AHL/TS. The engine is nigh perfect for it with all that clever animation gubbins – you just need to stick guns in.

• mickygor says:

Fingers crossed, they eventually release it as open source like they did with Lugaru.

• pakoito says:

The Specialists remake, anyone?

• eclipse mattaru says:

I second the modding motion. I would really like to see a remake of Oni that looks like this.

• Schmung says:

ONI?! That is an even better idea. This must be done.

• somedude says:

Yes, this! Please, please, someone do a remake or sequel to Oni! Seriously the best beat-’em-up game of all time, I can only imagine how awesome a well-made new game in that world could be.

• Surak says:

Actually the modding support is already great at this point. It is very unlikely that they’ll release the source of the engine, but it has a really nice build in level editor, animation editor and much stuff is done via scripting, so that everyone can modify it (Angelscript).

23. Shooop says:

I’m feeling bloodthirsty already.

24. Cryotek says:

Even if this isn’t a “Furry game”, because it’s “anthro” the Furries will show up and ruin it.

• Dominic White says:

Y’know what? I’ve not seen a single furry in these comment threads rambling on about how much they want to hump the characters, but I’ve seen a whole lot of angry internet men furious that the game contains animal-people, and more still complaining that they KNOW the furries WILL ruin EVERYTHING FOREVER.

You might be barking up the wrong tree here, mate.

• Saiko Kila says:

Furries don’t have time to read or post on the RPS. They’re busy banging rabbits.

• Wulf says:

It IS interesting that I never see furries causing trouble, but I do see furry haters going nuts with hate-speech every damn time something pops up with an anthro character in it. With this sort of person I can’t help but envision an overweight person, someone who lives in a basement, and perhaps has managed to acquire a gun (legally or illegally) and does questionable things with that gun every damn night.

That’s pretty much what I see in my head when I think of a furry basher. Just some right-wing misanthrope living in a hole in the ground. One that wants to project ‘naughty sinfulness’ onto others so that they can run from their own.

• Wooly Wugga Wugga says:

Furries are into having sex with animals, not fighting them. We should be fine.

• bersl2 says:

NEWSFLASH

Furries have been following Wolfire for quite some time. Nothing the company has done has been ruined yet.

Actually, I’ve found that most furries don’t get very enthused by Lugaru or Overgrowth.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s probably because the rabbits look too much like rabbits and not enough like cartoon characters with a couple of basketballs down their top for them.

• IDtenT says:

@Wulf: I don’t see what’s right-wing or indeed misanthropic about furry bashers. Some of the biggest misanthropes I know /are/ furries.

• Dave Mongoose says:

I’ll second what Dominic said. Furries generally keep their opinions to themselves because they know the backlash they would get from people who, for whatever reason, dislike them.

Furries are just a minority group that suffer from a lot of misinformed and misguided hatred. The only thing they have in common is that they identify with animals – it doesn’t need to have anything to do with sex.

Yes, some dress up in suits and go to orgies but so do some non-furries: I don’t freak out every time I see a rubber glove or a clothespin because some people use them for BDSM, so why make an issue out of an anthropomorphic animal?

25. mondomau says:

Poor marketing there Wolfire, wasn’t paying the slightest bit of attention to the developer pimping his site in the last 15 seconds, because I was too busy staring in dismayed horror at that poor bastard pissing blood out of his neck. Grim!

Also, I will buy this.

26. bill says:

A decent story and campaign this time please!

Lugaru’s combat was awesome.. but the level objectives got repetitive, and when i got stuck on the level with 3 wolves I just gave up… partly because i had no investment in the story to keep me going.

• mickygor says:

Ah man that level was so fun! I spent so long adjusting how I approached the level to defeat all three wolves, the challenge was relished.

27. muted says:

It’s pretty damn fun… my main issue with the combat is it’s all contextual and almost everything is controlled with a single button, that’s one of the reason I didn’t like Lugaru much, okay, it’s simple, it works but I wish I had more control over strikes. I wouldn’t call it dumbed down and it’s still in alpha but I wish there was a little more complexity instead of leaving everything up to the timing at which you click the left mouse button.

28. kung fu jesus says:

Is this game supposed to have the character control of something like Mount and Blade or Die By the Sword? Or will it still be traditional combo moves with keys?

• TheSpaghettiman says:

Neither. Try the demo for Lugaru if you want a sense of it.

29. Lazaruso says:

But will you be able to romance the rabbits?

By the way, why aren’t there more furries in the world? Don’t they breed like rabbits? >_>

30. DOLBYdigital says:

That there is one of the best devs that I have listened to in my opinion. Its truly amazing to read their blog every week where they take some common problem found in 90% of games and fix it rather quickly with some ingenious method that often is new or highly under utilized. The engine they are making (Phoenix) will be an amazing engine for modders to explore thanks to its simple yet deep editor. I really can’t praise this team enough and I highly suggest everyone support them or at least spread the word about them.

Devs like this are becoming rarer by the day. They deserve the support of us even if its just going to their blog and reading/commenting. Trust me, you will learn something new at every post :)

31. the judge says:

press darlings will get hyped and pumped for sure. But the judge aint buying. Tjheese guys are not indie. they are backed by one of the big VC firms with MILLIONS of dev money. STOP CALLING THESE GUYS INDIE. THEY ARE PAID IN FULL BY VULTURE CAPITAL