Turned: Wurm Online’s Expansion Plans

By Jim Rossignol on September 8th, 2011 at 4:39 pm.

Come float with me! No, really, it's perfectly safe.
To be honest, I don’t know all that much about Wurm Online, other than some people of my acquaintance are obsessed with it. One of the things the obsessed said was that really it needed more non-PvP support, and that seems to be what’s happening. The Wurm team have sent word that they are launching “a second server in its Non-PvP Freedom series. This new land, called Deliverance, is smaller than Independence, and is a gentler land ideal for the new explorer.”

Sounds ideal. However it is still the intention of Rolf, Wurm’s creator-overlord, to make the game about combat, as they explain: “Wurm Online will be launching a new combative server strain called Epic, probably in October. Rolf, Wurm’s creator, is keeping the details of the new servers close to his chest, but he has been working for a long time to make these a very special game.” Epic wars will, apparently, be another option alongside the hefty crafting and landscaping options. There’s a trailer of some of the latest stuff below.

Boats! Or are they ships? How can we tell? We’d need to get a range of vessels and test them. The only way to work it out is see where they cross over from shipdom into boatdom, and you work that out with the following rule: you can get a boat on board a ship, but you can’t get a ship on board a boat.

Hmm.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Biscuitry says:

Wurm always felt to me like a game you need a group in order to enjoy. I never found one that’d have me on the server or convinced any of my friends to join me in trying it. So Wurm never really did it for me.

• Mike says:

Really? I found Wurm’s groups to be pretty kind and welcoming. But it’s not the same unless you really get to know those people. I played it with friends for about two weeks and it was magnificent, but after some of them dropped away I couldn’t keep playing.

A really great game, in many ways, but I think the Minecraft/Wurm comparison shows some of the reasons why it never resonated with most people.

Richard Beer says:

I think this was just about my favourite long-running Two Ronnies sketch when I was a wee nipper.

3. nimzy says:

If they could get PvP to work, they might see another invasion from a certain web forum whose name will go unspoken.

• Zedo Mann says:

It has nothing to do with faces, does it?

• Shodex says:

Ugh, are you talking about the cataclysm that kicked Wurm out of the free 2 play zone… That was the reason I quit.

• metalangel says:

With the initials SA? Or the number 4 at the beginning?

Both have already visited Wurm.

4. VileThings says:

I’d be all over this game if it weren’t for the monthly costs and the antiquated graphics. Sure, there’s also a f2p version, but that won’t really get you anywhere, since all the good stuff is locked. Give me a singleplayer version of this game and I’ll even consider buying it.

5. Zedo Mann says:

I played Wurm before. I’m just not big into MMO type stuff.
    But there is a possibility it might draw me back in.

6. Davee says:

The game is lacking (mainly balance-wise and audio-visual feedback) and pretty damn slow-paced, but I can’t stop loving the idea of the immensely deep do-as-you-wish Sandbox world! It’s quite a thrill just exploring the wilderness and old village ruins left by other players.

I’m looking forward to some interesting adventures on Epic, hopefully finding a group to do it with, too. How about an RPS fort for safekeeping artefacts and whatnot, anyone? Maby we could even persuade parts of the Hivemind here to join us and write a weekly column about our exploits! :)

• zbeeblebrox says:

It was mostly the slow pace that put me off, I have to admit. I probably would’ve loved it if I had the time to invest into really getting into it

Colthor says:

Played this on the free server with a group of friends a year or so ago, and despite the primary game mechanic being endless progress-bars to failure, I really enjoyed it for the archaeology. Finding the decayed, abandoned ruins left by those who came before was a unique joy, at least in my experience.

8. surv1vor says:

It’s always a ship, unless it can go underwater, which then makes it a boat. Apparently.

• Heliocentric says:

What if its sinking?

• mechabuddha says:

Boats stay near the coast. Ships go out to sea. Submarines are traditionally called boats because they used to be limited to the coast.

JB says:

The test is this: always call it a boat and if the person in charge of the vessel gets upset/angry/stabby about it then it’s a ship.

• zbeeblebrox says:

All of the best tests should have a one in three chance of stabbings.

9. Fatrat says:

If they want to make Wurm more about PvP, they should make it easier for players to access it. As it stands, you could be maybe ‘useful’ in PvP in a month or few, depends how much you played. But you’d have to work on your fightskill constantly and sacrifice the crafting side of the game, which is a big portion of Wurm’s content.

Then there’s the issue of getting decent armour/weapons, which requires you to either craft them (no way that’s happening in the above situation), or buy some silver online (or somehow earn it) to buy the items. If they just made it so you had a fighting chance (literally) in the first weeks, the playerbase would be much higher. But then, i guess the grind is what makes Wurm what it is. That and the massive potential for exploration. As someone above said, finding people’s abandoned ruins/forts, with the option of even fixing them up into your own fort, rather than starting from scratch.

I stopped playing on Wild a few months ago, but i’ll be coming back for Epic! :)

• metalangel says:

Everyone is starting from scratch on Epic, aren’t they? When you go through the portal, your character on Epic will be a skill-1-in-everything noob. (unlike Freedom to Wild or vice versa, you only lose some FS of over 60, all other skills stay the same)

10. Simas says:

Played it for a while.. Loved the idea, don’t think I have seen any MMO sandbox game equal to Wurm yet.

Worth mentioning: Wurm client developer was Notch (Minecraft) and sadly the client/visuals haven’t improved much since he left.

• pakoito says:

Neverdaunt? Heaven and Hearth?

• Simas says:

Neverdaunt looks like a sandbox for kids.. and Haven and Hearth.. yeah played that as well, except that it’s 2D engine is so limited – no terraforming, the world feels static and dull.

11. haisaic says:

Sex tool for sell that you will like them ,welcome to http://tinyurl.com/3zogvql

12. Moonracer says:

This is another game I’d like to give a chance and would probably love, but I get the impression it has a similar learning curve as Dwarf Fortress.

• Torgen says:

Not really a huge learning curve (you can actually access the wiki in-game for crafting recipes,) but prepare to literally spend days and weeks online clicking the same icons to grind your crafting up, in an economy that’s pretty much broken except for those at the top of the professions. Between that and the substantial cost of subscription + buying and paying maintenance on a deed, the cost of being an active part of the game can be daunting (though master craftsmen can earn enough in-game to actually sell excess silver for real money).

However, the whole “everything is player made” and ability to terraform the world will draw me back two or three times a year for a month or two.

13. metalangel says:

I stuffed some supplies into my newly-launched ship (my first properly big one), and offered on the forums to ferry the shipless over to the new server. Six people took me up on this offer, and we met at an agreed location near Freedom Market to wait for the scheduled launch of the new server. I had dinner early, bundled the missus into the TV room out of the way, ready to go.

The whole thing, as is the case with Wurm, was a big mess. Server problems and the server hard drive corrupting meant the game was offline more than it was on. We got underway 90 minutes late, suffered yet another server outage and as we neared the southern edge of the world (where the transition to the new continent is) IRC and in-game chat were abuzz with news of people who’d made it across only to be flung, ships and all, far inland and left stuck. Characters lagged out of their ships and drowned, valuable items in their inventories sinking to the bottom of the sea. Angry fleets gathered in several places along the map edge, like a traffic jam at a border crossing.

In the end I dropped my passengers off on the mainland and then anchored with one of these fleets to wait.

The following day (Wednesday) another attempt was made to fire up the new server. Another lengthy outage, and by the time people could safely cross without being killed or losing their inventory it was bedtime for me.

Yesterday I finally crossed, and joined a friend at his new settlement. I’ve never seen anything like it. Everywhere, expensive ships filled with people go to and fro. Construction is everywhere. Many plumes of smoke on the horizon from campfires as people pause from their work to cook food to sustain their characters. My friend offline, I couldn’t do much work on his new house so I fished a lot and shared my catch with his grateful neighbours.

It’s hard and frustrating, but it’s been an exciting few days!

amishmonster says:

It’s a good thing Deliverance isn’t PVP-enabled, I’ve seen that movie.