ARGHipelago?: Dead Island DLC

By Adam Smith on September 9th, 2011 at 3:20 pm.

More of a bloodpool really
Dead Island released today in the EU while our American cousins have been slaycationing for a few days already. Later this month, there will be more, deader bits of island in the form of the rather unhygienic Bloodbath Arena DLC. The game first showed its rotten face at E3 in 2006 and its prolonged development cycle didn’t manage to iron out all the wrinkles, though John was suitably impressed by what he played. Now that the game may finally have stumbled through the hurdles of its difficult release, maybe the DLC will have a smoother ride. Or I might be back next week to tell you it’s been delayed until 2017. Details below.

What you’ll get for your unspecified amount of monies, or for free if you preordered and have a code, is a survival game mode, with four zones to play in and endless, scantily clad corpses to reslaughter. There’s also a new weapon called the brainwave bomb. Presumably to scramble the brains of the living, making them less appealing to zombies. Or maybe just to blow things up with soundwaves or something daft like that. The BLOODBATH ARENA doesn’t tie into the campaign’s extensive story but experience and loot can be carried over. It’s an early piece of DLC, which I’m rarely fond of, but it also sounds very easy to ignore as it moves the game away from all the things I find interesting about it. In a strange way, that makes me feel like a winner.

There’s a whole bunch of details on recent changes and improvements here. And we’ll have more on the game and DLC soon!

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. zergrush says:

Was somewhat afraid of the bugs but a bunch of buddies wanted to co-op so I got this yesterday.

The combat feels very Condemned-esque which is not a bad thing at all, and throwing weapons are especially satisfactory. I’m running it maxed quite smoothly on my laptop and don’t think I’ve faced any bugs at all so far.

But probably won’t get the DLC, the game was already pretty expensive and I’m not very fond of “horde” modes in general.

2. Dyst says:

The DLC is free for people who preordered the game. Just thought I’d mention that. I know Steam people get it for free right off the bat but I got my copy from Green Man Gaming so I had to wait for them to email me the DLC code. Don’t know about other sellerers.

• Xerian says:

No, they get it for free once its released. As, it still hasnt been released. And I myself purchased it off of GMG myself too, and you’re just as entitled as steam-preorders for it ;)… (And I paid 23 euro, heh. Gotta love vouchers and some credits x])

3. PanzerVaughn says:

Im maybe 20 hours (Late into act2) in and starting to wonder if i’ll get bored of the combat. I don’t think i WILL because jabbing kitchen knifes into the tops of peoples heads is incredibly satisfying, but theres only so many ways for things to shamble toward you, and Jumpkick+Cleaver repels 95% of them.

Thugs were giving me a problem until i started actually watching them for openings, and also Nailbatting their legs. =D

4. Enso says:

So is the multiplayer working now? Haven’t bought it yet but others have. Itching to get on some co-op but I’m not buying until it’s fixed.

• Tei says:

I was able to play 1 hour this night. Multiplayer works. Wen you are in the same “area” of other player, a message is show, and pressing J join you to his game. This other player can be other 3 players. I have not played enough to see any error or extra quirkiness except lack of push to talk, and everyone has hired temporal girlfriends, mothers or pets to talk near the mic. I wish people stopped doing that.

• Enso says:

Wonderful! Most likely I’ll be playing a private game using teamspeak/ventrilo/mumble which now I realise if there’s no mute option means we’re stuck with the ingame comms. Bums.

• quadratica says:

When was the multiplayer *not* working? I’ve been playing co-op since it unlocked at midnight Monday night. Well.. I’ve taken breaks.

• Enso says:

My contacts in the US were complaining they couldn’t connect to anyone and a google search revealed a thread with a few people complaining that the multiplayer was borked due to overloaded servers or some tripe.

5. Nallen says:

“slaycationing”

*blinks*

6. Bobtree says:

The DLC Arena is completely uninteresting to me, and I already don’t care for the Ripper weapon mod because of the continuous noise it makes.

There’s a new Dead Island thread in the forums:

7. Metonymy says:

I didn’t get a chance to post in the original review, it turns out its very easy to clear up the movement sluggishness, bloom, and the mouse problems.

I personally set acceleration to 5000, and made movement speeds in all directions equal. The sluggishness was almost completely gone.

• nrvsNRG says:

i’m finding the 360 pad to be great with this game

• Enso says:

Now I’ve sunk 20 hours into this I’m actually really appreciating the slow strafe speeds. Along with other features it really gives the game a great feel. Wandering the streets, running into herds, planning routes around them. It really does feel like foraging in a zombie apocolypse. The combat is a bit more actiony but I don’t think it really detracts from the feel too much. This is the closest thing to the zombie game I’ve been wanting so far.