Saints Row 3′s Street Cleaner, Hoverbike

By Jim Rossignol on September 9th, 2011 at 11:42 am.

Pretty much my morning.
A brief “vehicles” trailer for Saints Row: The Third has turned up. It shows off the game’s street-cleaning machine, so that’s good, but it also shows off a hoverbike and what appears to be a rocket-boosted sportscar. It neglects, however, to demo the VTOL jet or the the terrifying pedestrian-launcher thing. I’ve posted the previously revealed (and extensively bananas) game footage which includes those things for good measure.

Yep. I think the way they get in the vehicles is best.

, , .

1. Sirico says:

First task to aqquire a golden scrubber

JiminyJickers says:

Oh yeah! keen for some hover bike action.

I never in the past wanted to play the Saint’s Row games but the more I see of this, the more I like it. Will definitely give this a go.

3. michal.lewtak says:

That’s because the Man-a-pult will be removed from the game and given to whoever pays for it before the game is out. You know, exclusive preorder “bonuses”.
    They didn’t think it was necessary to state that back when they showed the gameplay, though. Either because they wanted to subtly advertise the preorder bonuses, or they decided to remove it from the game later on.

• Cyberpope says:

apparently were in for 40 weeks of it

• Shark says:

@Cyberpope GOTY next year then it is

• roosten says:

“We totally change how we keep consumer engaged for a very long time,” (THQ CEO Brian) Farrell said. “We intend to create an online digital ecosystem that keeps them interested for a year or more.”

I wonder if people in these positions get so used to using these words that they actually begin to believe them; ‘engaged’ and ‘interested’ are now synonyms of ‘paying’, apparently.

• Cyberpope says:

i should also link to this
      http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30186157&postcount=1 scroll down past all the lovely screens
      and in the interest of balance

@Shark
      GOTY indeed

• michal.lewtak says:

Day 280 pirate, for me.

• henben says:

Does receiving the preorder bonus mean that you start with a Man-a-pult in your garage (but a non-preordering player could still find it somewhere in the city)? Or do you need to preorder (or buy DLC) for Man-a-pults to appear at all?

If it’s the latter, that’s really annoying.

The Deus Ex:HR Explosive Mission Pack I received (I didn’t pre-order, just bought it from Game) included automatic unlocking devices and remote detonation explosives. I assumed that meant you started with a few of each, and if you didn’t have the pack, you’d just have to buy/find them – but actually, if you don’t have the pack, they aren’t present in the game at all!

And it’s not a trivial difference – being able to buy AUDs adds a nice extra mechanic where you can bypass hacking challenges you don’t have the skills for, at the expense of expending the fairly rare AUDs. And the remote explosives are great for distracting guards.

That is the first “preorder bonus” I’ve noticed which seemed to make a real difference to the game mechanics. I’m surprised it’s been allowed past without a fuss – maybe the Explosive Mission Pack was bundled almost everywhere?

• Cyberpope says:

@michal.lewtak

I wouldn’t go that far. the only reason all this is happening is because THQ are arse up at the moment desperately grasping at anything that could help them. I dont like it either but thems the facts.

@henben

from what I understand if you preorder it youll get the manapult, octopus gun, Prof Genki outfit and a “season pass” which entitles you to some free DLC, or more likely the co op.

• LionsPhil says:

Yup, purchase delayed for a year. SMART MOVE GUYS.

• mjig says:

Yeah I’ll either wait until the GOTY edition comes out, or buy the game but pirate the DLC. Either way, I’m not spending over $50.

MajorManiac says:

From what I gather these DLCs are only rumours. So I’m not getting excited about them yet.

But if they do turn out to be true then I agree. Its not worth buying (in my opinion) until the GOTY edition is out, and because the GOTY edition will mean I’m buying a year-old (if not more) game, I wont pay full price for it either.

• michal.lewtak says:

@henben You see, this is something I’ll never get. If they design a game in such a way that you receive some toys or advantages or the ability to get those things at some point in a game, then surely it’s a matter of pacing and strategy. (Or maybe even pure progress, like making you start already with some currency used to unlock things) Why do they think it would grab my attention if they gave me that stuff at the beginning of the game? That’s a ruined product for me, and I would make sure Not to preorder it. It’s like starting Half-Life 2 with the fucking Gravity Gun. It ruins everything the game had prepared for you before Black Mesa East, and it destroys that moment when Alyx gives it to you.
      Not talking about SR3 here, because apparently they simply removed content from their game.

• henben says:

I wouldn’t mind starting the game with a few of something that’s doled out throughout the game – it’s not that disruptive to balance. But in this case, if you don’t have the “pack”, you NEVER get any AUDs or remote explosives. So it’s as if there was a non-preorder version of HL2 with no gravity gun at all! OK, it’s not quite that significant, but it’s pretty bad.

It actually seems like the “preorder” pack was actually the version of the game you get from all UK retailers, which might be why there has been no backlash about this.

Still, I don’t think consumers want to have to pick between several versions of the same game which might vary significantly, or pay full price and then in lots of installments. I mean, an expansion pack like the Red Dead Redemption zombie missions is fine; free to play plus paying for more features is fine. But I won’t buy Saints Row 3 if I feel like I’ll only be getting 80% of the game because I didn’t preorder it from the right chain.

LieutLaww says:

I want that VTOL !!!!

5. Daniel Puzey says:

Does this mean that Street Cleaning Simulator might no longer be your preferred simulation?

• ninjapirate says:

Unless its list of features includes “Don’t forget to fill up with fuel… and water!” I see no chance of SR3 dethroning everyone’s favorite Street Cleaning Simulator.

Petethegoat says:

This looks amazing, Saints Row 2′s coop was fantastic, and this looks to be even better.

7. mjig says:

I gotta say, despite all of the hype, I’m way more excited for SR3 and Arkham City than I am for Skyrim or BF3 or anything else.

8. Jesse L says:

The triumphant musical flourish at the end of the new trailer is completely appropriate.

9. LGM says:

I played the crap out of the original Saints Row on 360, but the second one I played on PC and, as most of you know, it was atrocious.

I think it’s great that the new one is so over the top and that they’re making a point of showing just how crazy it is. I don’t even mind the “40 weeks of DLC”!

HOWEVER, they need to give us the system specs and let us know if the PC version will actually work this time. Will vehicles and random objects pop in just feet away from you in 3? Will it look just hideous like 2? Can computers that meet or exceed the specs for it actually run it smoothly? This needs to be addressed, as a lot people either played it on PC and know how bad it was or they at least heard how bad it was.

• LionsPhil says:

Well, the level of zany power is starting to make me a little concerned about the feeling of challenge and progression.

Playing GTA with all the cheats on is fun for quite a few hours of mucking about, but eventually you want a swarm of police on hoverbikes to be chasing you down as you make a desperate, narrow escape in a beaten-up estate car.

10. DigitalSignalX says:

My enthusiasm for SR3 is diminishing more and more as they release all these “here’s something even more crazy you can do!” videos. I mean, farting about for a couple of hours with some crazy physics / toys is not going to sell me this game. Show me the plot, some character development.. something more then a guy with a dildo beating people up on the street or shooting pedestrians of a cannon. Otherwise this game is basically a giant GTA4 mod.

11. Doth Messar says:

Roads…..? Where we’re going we don’t need roads!

12. Ralphomon says:

This is going to be the silliest game in the world. Day one purchase.