Wot I Think: Rock Of Ages

By Jim Rossignol on September 9th, 2011 at 4:59 pm.

All tied up with a bow.
What would Chilean crazy-maestros Ace Team do after their mind-curdling FPS melee game, Zeno Clash? Well, it should have been obvious: they set about creating, Rock Of Ages, a competitive boulder-rolling comedy action-puzzle-strategy game set within several centuries of art history. Yep, it was an open niche, and they rolled right in there. It’s out now, and I’m going to have to tell you Wot I Think.

I have mixed feelings about Rock Of Ages, and they’re not mixed like a delicious cocktail, but like grit in my porridge. Let’s talk about the porridge first, because really that’s the main ingredient in this metaphor: tasty, nutritious oat-thoughts. Rock Of Ages has a simple premise of the kind that makes for strong videogames: you roll your boulder down the map to smash a gateway. If you can smash down the gate (which takes a few attempts) then you can crush your opponent, and that’s level complete. Simple enough, except the map is a huge slope that graduates through the levels into being a series of slopes with different routes and islands. This means that the immediate challenge of the game is in actually driving your boulder down a slope and hitting the gate at maximum speed, so as to cause the most damage. But there are a few further layers of complication to come.

The first is that there’s currency in the game. This seems to be earned partly from rolling over the tiny people and houses that litter the track, but can later be earned from things that you yourself place on the track, such as “mines”. The currency you collect needs spending, and this initially happens in the time between rolls, where you get a bird’s eye view of the track and of the locations you are allowed to build. What you build are obstacles for the enemy boulder: each course is mirrored, so you get to see where your enemies are going to be rolling, and know that you face a similar task on the other side. Obstacles are various, including towers, air-blowers, projectile weapons, exploding barrels, cows, war-elephants, and a bunch of other things that can damage your ball, or send it flying off the side of the track. There’s a use to all this in terms of slowing down your opponents rolling, especially at certain chokepoints, but it was perhaps a little lightweight as a strategic element to the game.

Futhermore, having your ball destroyed is extremely unlikely, but it can happen, and it is fatal. This is far worse than going off the side of the track, which just means that you have to be picked up by the hand of God and placed back down in the world. There is an issue with this too, however, in that a versus game sees your opponent “rolling” at the same time as you. If you are too slow they’ll have a chance to crush you and win the match. While there’s lots to crush on every track, and vital keys to collect, you can’t dawdle, or you’ll be flattened.

Anyway, getting back to the currency thing: there are some limited power-ups for the rock, too, including fire (although it doesn’t really seem to do much, I suppose it is a kind of extra damage when you collide with stuff), spiked armour, super-jump, and so on. These all cost money, but can only be used once per track, providing a little trade-off for you to think about when you are spending your cash.

All this is wrapped in a single player campaign that treads its way through mythical and historical figures, picking up art styles from those of ancient Greece to very close to modernity as it goes. Occasionally you are faced with a need to go back and collect keys from previous levels to open things up. Then there’s the art style, which is something you will no doubt already have found remarkable. The majority of the characters are flat cartoon cut-outs that jiggle about in a vaguely Monty-Pythonesque pisstake. And it’s brilliant, even occasionally laugh-aloud funny. It feels like like a game artist at the height of his powers, delivering brilliant, appropriate art to a game that merges a broad understanding of history and art with fart gags. It’s a genuinely beautiful game that has more character than the next two dozen games you’ll see on Steam.

And there’s multiplayer too, either split screen with two gamepads, or online. I am not sure this is actually a better way to play than vs the computer, mainly because I think of a lot better ways to spend my multiplayer time. Rock Of Ages is an entertaining, esoteric challenge, but it’s really not a competition that I care to have with anyone online, let along the few real-life souls I can drag into my pit to play games with me. That’s probably not the best assessment of the multiplayer, so… look over there! A more interesting paragraph is coming right along.

The one thing that really caught my attention while playing this was that phenomenon in games where you are able to imagine the physics of something that does not exist. In this case the behaviour and properties of a smiling, self-propelled boulder, which can somehow jump. It’s a fabulous thing that these imaginary ball physics are immediately grasped by our imagination and assessed by our faculties of reason. What it means, however, is that you can also detect that it feels a bit too floaty. The ball has some weight when it’s on the ground, but somehow I felt it needed to crash to Earth harder. Gosh, that’s a subjective sort of dissatisfaction isn’t it? Yes, sir, it absolutely is. As would be the judgement that this game actually isn’t as quirky as I’d hoped it would be. Charming and engaging both, but not actually the offbeat gem I was hoping for.

And this dissatisfaction brings us to the grit being mixed in with this otherwise edible recipe. There are quibbles to bemoan, but they’re really quite minor. Firstly, the game is a little short. I flew through it. But then it’s only a few quid, so that’s probably not all that surprising. The second is that the boss battles, of which there are only a few, are all horrible. Especially the first one. These are minor complaints against what is otherwise an amusing and challenging little game. And I say “little” in a sort of condescending auntie sort of way: “Aren’t you a little cutie!” Rock Of Ages is a splendid thing, but I am hoping their next outing will be far more mature, and impressive. I know they’ve got it in them.

, , , , , .

1. nimzy says:

Kind of reminds me of an art-house Katamari Damacy.

• Ba5 says:

I always considered Katamari art house itself.

Anyway, the game is extremely unbalanced. If you suck at the game, and lose all your speed right before the gate every time, you still hit it for a third of its HP. If you’re good at it, and can fly into the gate at top speed, you take off a little over a third of its HP. So no matter how shit or awesome you are, it always takes 3 hits.

Then there’s the jump button. You can abuse the jump to clear almost every obstacle the enemy puts down, except the towers. And those can be cleared by cutting corners with jumping.

I want to love this game, but it needs some serious rebalancing.

• Gnoupi says:

Not really, sometimes it takes 4 times, because it depends anyway on the size of your boulder and the speed, once at the gate. Not a huge impact, but anyway, enough that it can force you to do it 4 times

• Baines says:

Total Biscuit’s WTF sure had it looking like it was nearly impossible to not take out a gate in three hits. Regardless of his condition or speed, he’d do at least a third of a bar of damage.

And the defenses really did seem pointless. He was even jumping them by accident.

As long as it always takes three hits to destroy a gate, the game looks like it will come down to who can hit fast enough. Defenses seem to be more a matter of buying extra half-seconds through slowing your opponent.

• Burning Man says:

NO. NOW GO AWAY BEFORE I TAUNT YOU A SECOND TIME-UH!

EDIT: With the spam suddenly missing, my comment looks silly. Silly is silly is silly.

• Cunzy1 1 says:

Reminds me of the weird Gamecube game Odama. Did anyone play that game?

• Chibithor says:

FYI in later levels the defenses you get are much more formidable and reducing the opponent’s mass or even destroying their boulder to increase the amount of hits required to smash through the gates. In the lower levels it’s more about speed, and in the later levels creating defenses becomes more important. A pretty good balance, I think.

• notjasonlee says:

uh, yeah, i’m about 12 missions in and defenses are still pointless and it still only takes 3 hits to take down a gate.

2. Shooop says:

Damn. Would we all be better off then just watching the brilliant cutscenes online then instead of buying the game?

The Terry Gilliam-esque animation and humor just looks like something I can’t miss.

• Jim Rossignol says:

It’s a decent enough game, and ACE Team need our cash support for being awesome. I would have bought it even if I hadn’t wanted to review it. (And I did buy it.)

Bit odd that’s there’s still no PC demo. I suspect that will sell a few more copies when it comes along.

• jti says:

I think it just is a small game. If you go in not expecting too much and wanting to kill some time with style it is a great game.

• Brise Bonbons says:

While the cut scenes and the presentations are certainly hilarious and perhaps the high point of the game, I personally think that it’s really worth playing. There is an actual game here, and it’s genuinely a fun and engaging experience.

But that’s me. I’m much more likely to want to play a game like this for a few hours, and watch someone else play a game like DX:HR on YouTube… YMMV.

• Navagon says:

“ACE Team need our cash support for being awesome.”

This should be motivation enough.

• jti says:

Just how much money? I do understand making little games, but if you pretend you need MOAR MONEY for a proper one, I’m not fooled.

3. Porkolt says:

I’m surprised you had nothing to say about the relative value of placing buildings. The Gamespot review was somewhat flawed in their assessment being ‘they’re useless because you can jump over them’, but I was surprised at the relatively small amount of use they had. You could basically use them to knock your opponent off the course a few times, slowing them down, but the damage they did wasn’t that much of a use: I haven’t encountered a single game instance where the gate didn’t go down in exactly 3 hits. The defense portion would be a lot more interesting if that amount was a bit more variable.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Yes, it was a bit lightweight, which is probably why I didn’t find much to say about it. Slowing down your opponent definitely became essential as the game progressed.

• Gnoupi says:

If you really manage to block your opponent with some efficient catapulting or towers, there will be times when he needs 4 times to knock the door instead of 3.

But I agree that this is quite rare, and in the end, the game feels more like a race, with the defense part only here to keep you busy while you wait to respawn, to slow down your opponent.

• Vagrant says:

The multiplayer Skee-ball mode looks like a lot of fun, though.

• Gnoupi says:

@Vagrant, though it’s again more of a race. Only the first one reaching the end holes is getting a multiplier on the score, and it ends the round for both players.

• faelnor says:

Even flimsy tower would have had their fair share of use if there was a bigger penalty for falling out of the board. I’m pretty sure all the tools to make the game rather tactical are there, it’s just that there is no incentive to use them. Maybe giving more contrast to the levels would have helped, too: more cluttered and slow parts to make use of animal-things and flying-things, and on the contrary more high-speed parts with large slopes necessitating precise control: even a small defense tower would set you off course. If you then decide to, say, lose half of the ball’s health when you fall out, the use of defences and careful piloting skills would be greatly enhanced.

Tweaking it further, I’d like to see more difference between the boulders. I suppose the flying one could remain the same, but the sun could have for instance no penalty for hitting wood and be more resistant to wind or animals. That’d make it definitely worth the $1000.

Finally, there’s the issue of money. Is it a good mechanism to spend it for the defences and spare a bit for the rock? What about when you don’t have enough time to spend it properly? Is it easy enough to earn money? Difficult enough? I’m not sure about those, they make things tense but a bit unsatisfying.

All in all, this game is quite fun and a great way to spend time with a big smile, but IMO there’s a definite lack of contrast in the design. And let’s forget about the boss fights altogether.

• Brise Bonbons says:

The importance of defensive building definitely took some time to grow on me, which was exacerbated by some of the defensive strategies being very map-specific or otherwise obscure.

There was one level I had to try 3 or 4 times, because I simply couldn’t out-race my AI enemy. But once I learned the map a bit, I managed to set up some traps effective enough to actually kill the enemy rock, which was extremely gratifying. I also had a few instances where the AI got enough defense up to wear my own rock down, requiring that I make 4 runs and not 3.

Over time I learned that while the game was sometimes purely a race, at other times there is a great deal of strategy to be had – for example, after avoiding an elephant/windy gizmo/trebuchet trap, I could give up a few seconds to roll backwards and attack the defenses from behind, making all my following rolls that much more effective.

In the end, I think it’s a really brilliant effort, if flawed in places, and I’m totally happy to have given them my $10. While the feel of the rolling itself didn’t immediately grab me like I was hoping, unlike many games I actually feel like the gameplay has a lot of depth, and that I have a real reason to go back and replay levels just to understand the maps better, to experiment with my defensive strategy.

• wiper says:

After some experimentation I learned to use towers not only to delay the enemy rock, but destroy it, particularly when combining fans and towers in a diagonal, crossed, pattern, with balloons and catapults nearby, and mammoths between them. It’s important to place the small towers first – the ones with large coverage areas can be placed if the coverage area is filled, they only stop future towers being built.

It did, however, take a good while for me to get the hang of it – the game could certainly do with being a bit more transparent.

I also didn’t mind the boss battles that much (quite enjoyed David and the final boss), but then Human Revolution may have dropped my expectations somewhat.

More than that, though, I really took joy in the game’s use and abuse of art history (and, er, history), its incredible looks and sound, and ended up really falling for it on those merits. I’d link to my review of the game, but a) it’s not yet been published, and b) I’m not quite enough of a dick to link to it even if it was. Suffice it to say that it was rather more positive than Jim’s, and drew more attention to the wicked humour and gorgeous aesthetic.

• djbriandamage says:

@vagrant

Yes indeed, the skeeball mode is quite a good time. It’s all the rolling with none of the building, and having both players roll down the same path at the same time makes for some fun bumpity bump.

• Styrium says:

Defences definitely aren’t useless – in most of the levels (especially the later ones) I was able to totally destroy an enemy rock. You just need to cluster all your buildings together to pin the rock down as long as possible with plenty of towers and some fans, which will give your catapults, mammoths and balloons time to destroy it.

Pick a good building spot – plenty of room to build, a choke point, and somewhere where the enemy rock won’t have much momentum, like at the top of a hill or just after a sharp corner.

Like above though, in every level it took exactly 3 hits to destroy the gate, so it really just comes down to launching your boulder as soon as possible, and making your way to the gate quickly. The AI always seems to launch its boulders slower so it does become a pretty simple game.

• Chris D says:

I’ve seen it take four hits quite a number of times. If you combine your defences properly you can chip away at the enemy rock enough so there isn’t enough left to take out the gate on the third run.

GibletHead2000 says:

I’ve managed to use building placings and elephants to trap the AI boulder long enough to be able to take it out with a well-placed manual catapult shot from my castle. From this perspective, they’re quite helpful.

4. Gnoupi says:

I agree with the boss battles, though I appreciated the second one (the famous combination of cannon and statue used in the trailers, mostly for the comical effect.
    But besides, yeah, not really ideal boss battles. The last ones in particular have a very creepy tendency, too.

In general, I enjoyed this game, but I can’t shake the feeling that I liked mostly… well, what was not the actual game. I enjoyed the menus, the little stories, the design in general, the comical effect (though a bit low some times).

But the actual “roll your boulder before the opponent”, while I liked, it wasn’t really the high point of my “Rock of Ages” experience, surprisingly.
    Maybe it was the fact that I didn’t really know what I was doing most of the time, and winning even if I was quite bad. The game doesn’t really give you the time to evaluate the map before it starts. So in the end, you rush in a map you don’t know, you put some random defenses, and you rush to not be late. And you win more or less, but you are not sure why. And you go to the next level, continuing until the end which comes quite fast.

Probably I will have a better experience with replaying the different maps, but it would have been better to have the possibility to take a minute to analyze the map before being forced to rush in it. Probably it would have prevented this feeling of not really knowing what I was doing.

The fact that it is a race is stressing, and leaving me the feeling that I always have to rush, rush. You can’t spend extra time wondering where to put your defenses, because if you wait more than your respawn time, you are giving an advantage to the enemy, since it’s more about slowing down than actual damage.

So in the end, I feel a bit like the game “rushed me” to the end, with this constant emergency, and the fact that you can’t take a moment to analyze the map.
    Nevertheless, it was a very pleasant time. But I feel that I could have appreciated it more.

5. Magnetude says:

First two screenshots, bottom right: Renaissance Gabe?

6. ArcaneSaint says:

I just saw TotalBiscuit’s “WTF is Rock of Ages” the other day, and he didn’t really find anything wrong with it. A subjective sort of dissatisfaction indeed. Proves again how one game can leave a totally different impression on different people.

Although to be fair, he couldn’t really judge how long the game was going to be, as he only played the first levels. And I didn’t see anything of a boss fight in the video, unless you mean the giant elephant?

• Porkolt says:

No, the giant elephant isn’t a boss. The first boss battle you encounter is the dragon you see in the screenshot, but he only shows up at the end of the Medieval levels, so that actually is quite a few levels later.

7. mojo says:

your proofreader needs to see an eye doctor or something, soz.

8. Griddle Octopus says:

God, I love cheesy grits. And porridge.

Crimsoneer says:

I’ve found it great…and once you get used to building placement, surprisingly tactical…Blocking off an avenue with towers, to funnel your enemy into a serties of fans that blow him into a dynamite/elephant kerfuffle is amazingly satisfying. And actually shooting the boulder mid-course is great fun.

It’s a top notch product, well worth the pitiful entrance fee.

Petethegoat says:

I like the sound of this, just got it on Steam.

11. Jason Moyer says:

Played a bit of it on release day, no complaints whatsoever. It’s tower defense meets marble madness meets Terry Gilliam. Looks lovely, physics feel great, didn’t know anything about the defense part going into it but it’s surprisingly tactical, especially since your defensive budget and ball-upgrade budget are drawn from the same pool of funds.

Only complaint in singleplayer is that the enemy AI could be better at screwing you over, really. The level itself tends to be more of a challenge to navigate than whichever obstacles the AI places. Of course, in multiplayer (which I’d like to try, haven’t gotten to it) that’s not an issue.

12. googoogjoob says:

“Anyway, getting back to the currency thing: there are some limited power-ups for the rock, too, including fire (although it doesn’t really seem to do much, I suppose it is a kind of extra damage when you collide with stuff)”

someone didn’t read the tooltips

• Gnoupi says:

To be fair, while you read the tooltips, your opponent is rolling, and every second you are reading, you are getting late.

13. Gnoupi says:

I think I would have liked an extra mode without timer or enemy boulder.

A mode in which you just have to come down the path, with an enemy building defenses regularly on it, simply. No racing, no strategy, just basic rolling and destroying fun.

• djbriandamage says:

Yes, this! I enjoy the modes it comes with but one more mode with less urgency to plan and act and roll as fast as possible would have allowed the player to soak in all the wonderful atmosphere a little better.

14. timmyvos says:

There’s no doubt these guys were inspired by Terry Gilliam, it’s practically the same style.

• Mistabashi says:

I think you mean Terry Gilliam ;)

• timmyvos says:

Fail on my part, it’s been a while since I last watched something from them, I’ll fix it. Thanks for noticing.

15. haisaicc says:

Sex tool for sell that you will like them ,welcome to http://tinyurl.com/3zogvql

16. joe2 says:

been looking forward to this for months and bought it on day 1

humor content is definitely 10/10 – this is the funniest game i have ever played. humor is absurd and surrealistic but hilarious

gameplay is almost 1/10 – the defenses you can put up are useless, the enemy defenses can simply be ignored, and the enemy AI is very bad. several times the enemy simply got stuck, meaning i got a free win for that level. and the camera controls are not very good – if you are trying make a tricky jump you just have to memorize the map from the top view because you won’t be able to see much in side view.

i am glad someone made a game that isn’t just another FPS but they should have worked on it a little more before they released it

17. Njordsk says:

In all honestly I can’t get past the “holy hell what is that thing” factor.

Sure can be fun, but I can’t play something I don’t even understand visually…

18. Carlos Bordeu says:

Carlos Bordeu from ACE Team here…

@Jim Rossignol: Don’t worry Jim… we haven’t forgotten about Zeno Clash 2. :) Anyways, I appreciate the review and I think many of the points you say are quite valid.

I have to agree that we weren’t capable of teaching the game more properly – it seems that the strategic portion of the game has a very high learning curve for how casual the game appears to be. I guess it is just one of those cases where we were so good at the game that we understood it perfectly. I certainly feel a big help would have been to have a tutorial level with only the defensive part of the game.

The good thing is we plan on supporting Rock of Ages beyond release and we are pretty active on the steam forums, so I think there is a lot we can do in terms of future updates.

Thanks to everyone who purchased (or will purchase). All constructive criticism is also very welcome.

• Dominic White says:

Honestly, I reckon the game would flow a little better if the rocks had less health (maybe half what they currently do?), so it was easier for a good defense to shrink the damage done to the gate at the end. It’s almost impossible to actually get a boulder destroyed at the moment.

• Carlos Bordeu says:

We’ve talked about giving the boulder less health and might be doing something related soon in a patch. The thing is with more experienced players, destroying the boulder isn’t that hard, so we definitely have to test something like this a lot. But it is something that has been asked for, so we will probably do some sort of adjustment.

19. Wulf says:

I liked Rock of Ages. It’s not perfect, and sometimes it could be a bit frustrating, but I liked it.

There’s one interesting point though. See the rock versus dragon in that shot, there? It’s not that hard to roll around the dragon. It’s funny, but I wish games like Dragon Age would actually give me choices like that. I’m terribly amused that in Rock of Ages I could dodge the elephants and dragons and not have to harm them. I can just sort of cordially bolt past them.

“G’day lazydragon.”
    “G’day rockface.”

And on I go.

It’s an amusing consideration because there are some things that, for some reason, I have difficulty fighting. When a game puts me as a human character versus a dragon, I can’t do it. I feel like, for whatever reason, that I’d have to be playing the most evil person in the entirety o that reality to do so. I’d rather find a door (Deus Ex style) and run through it, ignoring the fight with the dragon boss. But I’m not allowed that option.

Point is this: Rock of Ages provides me with more freedom of choice in its simple rolling mechanic and via my reflexes than a big, complex RPG like Dragon Age: Origins did.

I’ll just leave that there.

• Burning Man says:

You should try Dragon Age 2. Where you fight everyone no matter how you play hohoho.

I should probably stop ranting about DA2 at every opportunity. Especially since DA3′s direction has been examined and cemented. I just wish Bioware was replaceable.

20. Arodin says:

The dragon boss was terribly implemented. The rest of the bosses, however, were kinda fun. If nothing else, they are really well animated and a hoot to look at.

21. gr0undzer0 says:

Their are many ways you can really mess up the other player. Some commenters say the towers dont work .. i build them but put tnt behind them and they are screwed. As for jumping corners i put up catapults and it hits them mid air and makes them fall. If you slow them down enough you might have a go at their doors twice before they go once. The defense isn’t so much about ruining the damage they do .. its about slowing them down.

22. Muzman says:

Totalbiscuit makes it look worth it for the menu alone.

23. Jody Macgregor says:

The moments when I rollercoaster my way down vertiginous slopes and barrel around gentle curves, hopping over explosives like mad as I go, are great fun. But I wish there were more of those moments and the levels were less full of pinches and double-backs and tight, slow maneuvering. I want more speed and smashiness.

Also, an option to replay the opponent’s turn while the game is paused. Whenever I focus on the enemy view for more than a second I wind up in trouble, but it’s essential for learning which of my defences actually work. I love seeing the computer smack through my tall towers only to be herded off the edge by an elephant waiting behind it.

24. Clovis says:

I loved the humor and had fun playing the game, but it was just WAY too easy. The biggest problem was probably the AI. It never really created defenses that were a problem (it did cleverly use the air attacks once to throw me off a corner). On offense though it had huge problems. Several times it would just get stuck. Two lines of towers stuffed with elephants and catapults would almost completely shut it down.

For some reason I thought the game was going to move throughout more eras of art history, so I was kinda’ disappointed when it suddenly ended. I really like the character in the final battle.

Regardless of all that, I had a good time though.

25. haisaicv says:

Top quality goods that you will like,welcome to http://tinyurl.com/3zogvql
    ,there can help you to play the game so easy

26. riut says:

I believe the real problem with the game is just how unnecessary the defense portion is if you’re a fast enough racer.

Nearer the start I was building defenses carefully and trying to actively fight back against the enemy boulder, I didn’t find it to be useless as I managed to setup a few kills and reductions to a small boulder numerous times, but after about 6 levels I realised that I needn’t bother at all, I could just race to the end using the shortcuts and never have to worry about losing because the AI could just not keep up. Building a defense was basically overkill.

The defense side of the game could definitely be improved, but I think the real issue is how it’s integrated into the rest of the game, as it is now you can just ignore it and that I view to be a problem.

Honestly I think the game would be vastly improved if instead of being able to launch your boulder the moment it’s ready, instead you and the AI launched your boulders in turns so as to remove the strategy of just bombing it. As well as this though, the boulders could do with being less resistant to damage, as well as the amount of damage they do to the gate decreasing significantly when they go down a size. It was rare that I ever made it to the end of a level and went down one size (nevermind two) in the process, the amount of damage I did seemed to be pretty much the same when I did lose size.

I did enjoy the game for a short while, but found myself just wanting it to end later on, the art direction is great, the boss fights kind of suck.

27. bluebogle says:

My take on the game and some of the comments:
    -It sometimes takes more than 3 hits to take down a gate, depending on the size of your ball when you hit.
    -A lot of the defenses may just slow your foe down a bit, but that’s actually crucial, as many a battle was won with literally seconds to spare.
    -The art style and humor alone make this worth the low price.
    -I felt the ball’s physics were just right, though as Jim mentions, it’s somewhat subjective.

Lambchops says:

from what little I’ve played so far I think I’, pretty much in concurrance (is that a word?) with this review.

29. Matzerath says:

Why did I like the boss fights? I found them highly amusing, despite that they were, you know, quintessential boss fights. But the art design really shined in those moments. The whole game is so nice looking you wish you could view it beyond the vantage of behind-a-boulder.

30. mbnlin says:

Top game goods in http://bit.ly/qkDqbZ ,there can help you to play games so easy

31. poisonborz says:

I don’t know if there was this kind of game before, but it is awesome: part TPS, part RTS game where once you build against your opponent in real time with resources, and then you go trough the track yourself.

It’s sad that because some minor flaws, it fails to be entertaining on a long term – things like your ball is basically indestructible, 3rd roll always wins, ineffective buildings – things every review mentioned.
    If these would have been fixed, this could have been a legendary title.

I hope someone copies this game mechanism, and recreates it with greater emphasis on the game itself, rather than just visual style. Imagine the same game with an upgradeable vehicle instead of a simple ball, rushing to the end of the map against various buildings and units that your opponent controls in RTS mode…