The RPS Bargain Bucket: Clawing Back

By Lewie Procter on September 10th, 2011 at 7:53 am.

Time to engage your value-subroutines, make sure your fiscal-cortex is online, and it’s probably best if you have your payment method of choice to hand too. It’s the bargain bucket: Your handy receptacle for collecting the best download deals in every weekend. If your thirst for cheap games isn’t satiated by this bountiful selection, why not take a visit to SavyGamer.co.uk for more of the same. Here’s the deals:

Duke Nukem 3D [Atomic Edition] – £1.87/€2.19/$2.99
The most technically advanced, competently designed and visually polished Duke Nukem game out there. Duke Nukem 3D has levels with more than one way through them, it lets you carry an arsenal of multiple weapons at once, and has graphics that neither look like ass, or give me a headache. Revisiting this might be a good way of washing the taste of DNF out of your mouth.

Men of War Bundle – £14.99/similar prices in other currencies
Includes Men of War, Red Tide & Assault Squad, and here’s the triple threat of Jim flavoured opinions on them: Men of War, Red Tide & Assault Squad. Here he is singing praises of the first game:

This is perhaps what’s most exciting about this wargame: diversity that leads to an organic, evolving experience. I only wish all the other RTS games we seen so far this year had as much scope for messing around, coming up with madcap plans, and clawing back victory from the brink of ludicrous, hyperbolic defeat.

Osmos – £2.16/€2.51/$3.43
Apply coupon “afteryousir”.
Here’s a beautiful little abstract puzzler. It’s all about moving a blob around, and then absorbing other blobs, then listening to the pretty ambient sounds, then carrying on absorbing blobs even after you’ve passed a level, because it’s nice to be tidy. Osmos doesn’t outstay it’s welcome, or try to overstretch it’s ideas, and whilst I probably wouldn’t recommend it to everyone at full price, for a bit of spare change, I’m happy giving it a universal recommendation.

Civilization V – £7.50/€12.50/$12.50
The long-running turn based global-strategy powerhouse hit it’s fifth entry earlier this year, there’s some great new touches in Civ5, and it’s obviously the prettiest one yet, but I can’t help feeling like I was a bit happier playing Civ4. It’s still Civ, though, and even at it’s most wobbly, Civ is a tonne of fun. Alec gave his in depth appraisal here, and conveniently Adam told us about the very much worth your attention Civilisation V NiGHTS mod just yesterday.

Deal of the week
50% off all Arma games
A franchise-wise sale here, as both Arma games, plus all the various bits of expansion and DLC have all been reduced by half. Here’s Jim on Arma 2:

Arma II game is already divisive: it was always going to be. It’s impossible to examine this game without seeing it as a kind of exemplar of some of the larger issues about what is good and bad about PC gaming: the unfinished code, the performance issues, the difficulty of breaking into established communities – all these things will push people away. But the sheer scope: the raw materials that BIS have forged for gamers to make their own entertainment, their own stories with. I can’t say that’s a bad thing.

What PC games are is a wide open landscape, and that monstrous, uneven terrain is only getting larger by the day. Thank fuck for this twisted little peninsula of realism, without it gaming would be a whole lot less interesting.

Best to double check the pricing on these before you buy anything though. It’s actually cheaper to get Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead seperately than it is to buy them together in Combined Operations (Combops), or at least it is in the UK.

Also of note:
Gratuitous Space Battles – £5/similar prices in other currencies
Sword of the Stars: Complete Collection – £2.99/similar prices in other currencies
10% off at Direct2Drive UK/USA with coupon “afteryousir”/”watulukngat”.

To always stay up to date with the world of discounted gaming, head to SavyGamer.co.uk.

__________________

« | »

1. pupsikaso says:

Cliffski sure likes to appear in the bucket. When was his game NOT on discount?

• Starky says:

To be fair to the man, despite his past rants on RPS about indie game value and price when it comes to indie games – his are high compared to similar titles (in production values and quality if not genre); and he claims (probably truthfully) that he makes more money at the higher price point (his market is very limited, may as well get top dollar). He’s pretty damn savvy about getting involved in sales and giving regular (if temporary) price drops.

• Prime says:

He should rename it “Gratuitous Price Battles”.

• bluebogle says:

I really don’t understand all the negative attitudes toward Cliffski on here. The guy makes great games, does a lot to endorse indie gaming, and people have this attitude of “how dare he try to help indies make some money, those games should all be dirt cheap!”

• feigetwo says:

Very good a Web for shopping online ! Belive you will must not miss it!

• Zarunil says:

Found it to be to cheapest buying it straight from the man, used discount code LETSPLAYGSB for 20% off the collector’s whatchamaycallit. Thanks, Google!

If you only want the base game this is still a good deal.

• ResonanceCascade says:

“I really don’t understand all the negative attitudes toward Cliffski on here.”

I don’t dislike the guy at all — in fact I think a lot of what he posts is interesting. But like angry old-school RPG guy, he can be a little lacking in the tact department.

But hey, most of us are guilty of the same from time to time, so whocares.

2. Hardtarget says:

so I’m on the fence about buying this
    since it’s 50% off
    Basically grey market dudes from Turkey. What do you guys think?

• pupsikaso says:

Are you a fan of WH40k? Get it. If you aren’t, you won’t find anything particularly worth your money in the game. Also, don’t use that site.

• Mac says:

Didn’t valve get upperty about people using foreign purchased keys previously? I seem to remember them revoking keys bought on the grey market …

Cheapest i’ve seen in the UK is shopto @ just under £23 for a key you plug straight into Steam.

• Hardtarget says:

I’m in canada, no deals to be had on the game over here as far as I can tell.

I did some research and I think Valve at one time deactivated some Modern Warfare 2 keys bought from the grey market but that’s all I’ve been able to dig up really.

• nofing says:

Well, I don’t know about you, but I don’t trust those key resellers and I rather wait a couple of weeks for a good Steam or retail price. I’m not sure, if there are problems with Turkish versions, but about 99% of the Russian versions don’t work without some shady workaround.

• deanb says:

I got Human Revolution from a key site Lewie posted about a couples weeks back. I needed to hit up one of my Russian mates to activate it but other than that it all went a-okay. I think the reason the MW2 keys had issue was more from Activisions part than Steam.

Depends if you feel the discount is worth it for the potential hassle. It’s the grey market for a reason.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

Hardtarget, you can always check the data smuggling ring here on the forums, there are a lot of trustworthy and helpful people around that can help you out with region-specific deals.

3. MuscleHorse says:

I found Osmos to be fairly tedious after the first few levels – I can’t really complain though, got it through the Humble Bundle.

Looks like it’s time to actually own Duke Nukem 3D – I remember playing it for hours at friends’ houses about a decade ago but never got around to having my own copy. Something of a disgrace for a 2.5d shooter fan.

• iLag says:

Osmos can become terribly frustrating and not at all the pretty ambient experience it seems to be in the first couple of minutes of play. :/

• Prime says:

I found Osmos only gets frustrating once you’re chasing enemies who can avoid you. Everything else – the other two branches of play styles – is lovely, the kind of gameplay that rewards patience and a steady hand.

2/3s brilliant in my opinion.

• Randomer says:

I think Osmos does what it is trying to do perfectly. There are few games I’d recommend more to people. If you’re looking for a relaxing game that you can sit down and play for a little as 20 minutes, it’s the one. The later levels do get pretty challenging (I still can’t beat the one where there are just a few stars revolving around stars that are themselves revolving around another star), but I think the difficulty curve is right on. If a level is too hard, just put it aside for the day and play a different level.

• yourgrandma says:

I feel sorry for anyone that can find Osmos tedious or frustrating… all you need is a tiny bit of patience and luck.

4. Serge says:

That ARMA 50% off pushed me to finally buy it.

Thanks for the heads up, RPS!

• Mac says:

I too am tempted by Arma 2 – but which version should I buy? Do I need to buy everything to enjoy it properly or just Arma 2 or just Arrowhead?

• Hardtarget says:

All you need is Combined Ops, It’s Arma 2 + its Expansion pack.

• sinister agent says:

I’d recommend getting combined ops, which is basically the two together.

You’re better off getting just Arrowhead if you only opt for one, as that’s mostly desert terrain stuff, which will perform better, but also plays better as the heavily forested maps of the original are a bloody nightmare to play. I actually prefer the design of the original levels, but it’s just infuriating to play as the AI is practically omniscient in the foliage, and you’ll have AI even in most multiplayer modes.

As for multiplayer, most people will play the Arrowhead maps. Not having both may exclude you from some missions or groups, so ideally you’ll want both, but you can get by okay.

The game is dreadful in single player, for the most part. Multiplayer is where the real fun is, even if you don’t play with the very pleasant RPS crowd.

• Serge says:

Oh and yes, I bought Combined Ops.

Any tips on where can I meet some good chaps to play with?
      Voice chat and so on. I was playing original OFP back in the days but haven’t played ARMA 1 or 2. Only Demos.
      I don’t like Steam all that much, mind you. But I can deal with it.

• SvDvorak says:

You could play with your fellow RPS comrades, check out our forum thread: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?28-ArmA-2-Combined-Operations-We-have-our-own-server

• Aedrill says:

Also, you can try playing Prject Reality: ArmA2. It’s 0.1b so there will be some struggling but it’s still PR!

• Phil says:

My GPU is now only the recommended spec for ARMA2 Combined Ops. How GPU crunchy is it?

• nofing says:

Too bad the Anniversary Collection is not on sale. I’m just going to wait a little longer until there is a good deal on the complete pack.

• malkav11 says:

Everything that’s in the Anniversary Edition is on sale (and ARMA 2 base is 75% off, not the 50% that everything else is, at least in the US). Counting it all up, I would end up paying slightly more than $30, which is about 50% off the Anniversary Edition. If you want to pay less than that for everything, that is of course up to you.

• thepiespy says:

unitedoperations.net, just pop in the TS and we can help you get set up.

• GameOverMan says:

@nofing, Arma X Anniversary Edition Retail: http://savygamer.co.uk/2011/09/07/arma-x-anniversary-edition-pc-17-99/

5. Risingson says:

No mention to the Need for Speed sale on Steam?

• iLag says:

so… which one is good? they all look the same to me, ie. car wot goes fast.

• Lycan says:

Undercover is not bad for US$2.50. But the real attractive deal is for Hot Pursuit

• Risingson says:

Hot Pursuit and Shift. Stay away from Undercover.

• Mac says:

Both NFS:HP and Shift 2 are available cheaper at Retail – £8.99 each.

• drewski says:

Hot Pursuit’s cheaper than that on Steam…

• Mac says:

@drewski “Hot Pursuit’s cheaper than that on Steam…”

erm … nope it isn’t – £10.20 on Steam and £8.99 Retail.

• icupnimpn2 says:

Hot Pursuit seems to have some terrible PC optimization issues with the port. I don’t care about interface stuff. Actually, it lets you rebind all keys, which is great.

But lots of problems with processor utilization and FPS, even with minimum settings and above minimum specs. YMMV.

• Martel says:

Hmm, for those of us in the US at least, I’m not seeing it any cheaper anywhere than the Steam sale. Anyway, Shift and Hot Pursuit are good? I’ve been craving having a racing game or 2 around (not that good, so super simmy are a bad idea for me), so for $15 I might just get both of those.

• drewski says:

Hot Pursuit is only US$6.80, so I guess you Brits are getting EA’d.

• Hardtarget says:

huh? Hot Pursuit is 10.20 in NA

• StenL says:

The first two Undercover games are the best NFS games, I don’t see why you are getting so bitchy about them.

6. UnravThreads says:

The Civ V entry is wrong. It was released in Early Autumn 2010, not ‘earlier this year’. The game is almost a year old!

7. HairySammoth says:

Wait a second, is that a Gabriel Knight 3 image? Man, that game. Trying to scrape together the cat hair to make that moustache Gabriel’s sporting there… a classic of the “What the hell?” genre of point-and-click puzzle-solving.

8. Universal Hamster says:

Anyone know if the Arma games install through Steam?

• Mac says:

I’m betting not.

• Phil says:

No. If it did, the description would say “Requires a 3rd party download and account” like it does for (say) Warhammer 40k.

It’s SecuROM DRM according to the blurb, but I read elsewhere that the official patches remove the DRM altogether. (Even from the Steam version if you apply them manually apparently.)

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, the ARMA games to date are not Steamworks (though it wouldn’t entirely surprise me if ARMA 3 turned out to be, whenever that releases). And yes, the DRM has been patched out.

9. drewski says:

Not buying Civ V until 2K/Valve quit with the discriminatory prices for Australians.

• Nick says:

Don’t worry, you aren’t missing anything but the regret of spending money on it.

• drewski says:

I suspect I’ll rather enjoy it, actually.

• DrGonzo says:

Yes, I’ve really liked it. Dunno what all the complaining is about. I could never go back to an earlier Civ after playing 5. It does have its flaws, but all the Civs have.

• jaheira says:

With civ you can never go back to previous versions. The combat alone in V is a huge improvement. The only slight niggle I have is that there are no little movies when you build a wonder. C’est la vie.

• Atrak says:

hear hear! what is it valve, good beach tax? isn’t it enough we have have to pay more for anything digitally distributed due to our overpriced antiquated internet that 3rd world countries stopped using years ago. grumble moan groan etc etc…

• Nick says:

The comat is the only improvement (and its still awful), everything else is either a step down or not properly implemented vaguely good idea. I would rather play Civ 2 again than touch Civ V with someone elses mouse hand. Dreadful game, shame on the series.

• Anathem says:

You can actually buy from the US Steam Store from AU. http://www.steampowered.com/?cc=us

This stopped working for me a while back, but I found that if you enter your credit card as a new one instead of using a card already saved on your account, it won’t mind if you accidentally get your country and post… err.. zip code wrong.

10. CaughtVD says:

There’s another 20% off code for most games on GreenManGaming including Red orchestra 2, Arkham City, Game of Thrones, Men Of War Vietnam and they are supposed to be getting steam keys for Hard Reset very soon. Just enter GREEN-MANGA-MING1 @ the checkout.(Expires on the 12th) For you football fans there’s a Fottball Manager 2012 pre order code that’ll get you the game for a little over £25 GOALS-GOALS-GOALS @ checkout.
    Finally if you don’t have an account yet and make your account through this referral link you and I both get £5 towards a future purchase. So if you have a mate with an account use theirs. If not here’s one

• BarneyL says:

It’s also worth checking out the trade in value of any games you have there as there seems to have been a jump for some e.g. Cryostasis which I suspect a lot of people have from their launch offer is now trading in for £5.97.

• CaughtVD says:

Some pre orders seem to offer an extra pound off when you trade something in to buy a specific title aswell such as Arkham City.

11. mbllin says:

Top game goods in http://bit.ly/qkDqbZ ,there can help you to play games so easy

• Daiv says:

Even spambots are trying to get into the spirit of things today!

12. Turkey says:

Cat mustache sale!

13. Sharkticon says:

DNF was quite good actually, especially the back half of the game. Certainly better than Duke 3D.

Also Steam seems to have a tiny 10% discount on Hard Reset.

• Nick says:

“Certainly better than Duke 3D.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks, needed hat.

• Sharkticon says:

True story, bro.

Explain to me (nostalgic reasons aside) why Duke 3D is better? DOOM is better than Duke 3D. All the DOOM engine games are better than Duke 3D.

• Nick says:

Uh, level design alone is far, far better, the shooting and general mechanics of fights are more interesting too. Also Duke isn’t a massive pussy in Duke 3D.

What has Doom got to do with it? Doom is better than 4ever as well, but then so is Quake.

• Sharkticon says:

I will concede that in terms of level design Duke 3D is better. Then again in terms of level design any (and I mean *any*) pre-2000 FPS beats any modern FPS.

I was never a big fan of the character in the first place so his characterisation doesn’t change anything for me.

DNF offered lots of variety and lots of ideas (some half-baked, but still, better to have underdeveloped ideas than none at all). It’s lack of focus actually helps the game.

Plus the way DNF was reviewed made it seem like the worst FPS to come out recently, when it’s at least better than CODBLOPS, Homefront and FEAR 3.

• Buttless Boy says:

Duke Nukem 3D is a damn masterpiece, what are you smoking? The level design has rarely been surpassed in the FPS genre, the weapons are wonderfully fun and inventive, it’s just a great damn game. And I only finished it a couple years ago on the Xbox (only had the shareware version as a kid), so you can be pretty sure I’m not speaking from nostalgia.

14. Bobtree says:

Amazon has Dead Island for $40 today (Steam key).

Forum thread again: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?1360-Dead-Island-impressions

Yesterday I snuck up to some looters in the jungle and jump-kicked one into their camp fire.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Dead Island alternates between being amazing and moody and being RAGE INDUCING SHIT.

Wow this is so bloody and moody and WHERE THE FUCK DID MY CO-OP SAVE GAME GO I WAS PLAYING THROUGH WITH A FRIEND RHADJASDHFJKASDJKF

Man I am badass I’m cracking zombies right and left! *levels up, zombies start doing half of healthbar in a hit* F***!

I’m really torn about it. It’s pretty, but has wierd graphic issues. it’s intuitive, but has bizzare quirks. It’s bloody and sweary, but not necessarily mature. It’s responsive, until an enemy knocks me over and I have to watch a 5 hour uncontrolled video of my climbing back to my feet while zombies curbstomp me like the undead KKK.

15. TsunamiWombat says:

Ooo, Sword of the Stars complete collection for only 3.99?

I’ve never played a 4x, always been curious, this sale seems like a good opportunity to let my freak flag fly.

• Durkonkell says:

I liked Sword of the Stars a lot. Great strategic depth, really different interesting mechanics for each race, semi-random technologies to keep things from being too predictable. The real-time tactical side is solid, too. Against someone who hasn’t got phaser point defence, watching a cruiser squadron or a pair of dreadnoughts launching dozens of missiles upon an enemy is glorious, particularly when you remember your first destroyers with only one launcher each!

It’s my favourite space strategy game currently. I recommend it!

• Daiv says:

@Durkonkell:

Yeah, I only found out point defense phasers exist after investing almost exclusively in missile tech. I obliterated fleet after fleet as my three Arbalest-class missile dreadnoughts bloomed beautiful flowers of missile trails. With every volley, an enemy ship died. Until one battle a single cruiser swatted every single missile from the sky. I couldn’t climb the other weapon tech trees fast enough to catch up and my terrifying fleets of doom ended up hammered to scrap metal.

• TsunamiWombat says:

One ship can make that big of a difference?