Syndicate Reboot Confirmed As Co-Op FPS?

By Jim Rossignol on September 11th, 2011 at 11:56 am.

X-Com fanbase, I feel your pain.
Syndicate will reportedly be a 4-player co-op FPS, developed by Starbreeze. This thread on NeoGAF has some images and info which are apparently leaked from the Swedish edition of Game Reactor which is out next week. This what we know: “Chip Enhanced Gameplay: Slow down time, see through walls, and breach your enemy and everything digital in the world with Dart vision – A neural DART6 chip implant that allows you to interface directly with the Dataverse,” “4-Player Online Co-op: Assemble your Syndicate for global domination. A 4-player, online co-op experience like no other, with chip enhanced gameplay and 9 missions re-imagined from the original Syndicate,” “Visceral FPS Experience: Utilize an upgradable arsenal of futuristic weapons, armor and gear to annihilate your enemies and harvest their chip technology for personal advancement and sinister corporate greed,” “Sci-Fi Fiction: Immerse yourself in the world of Syndicate 2069, with a world-class sci-fi story experience, written by bestselling author Richard Morgan.”

Men will get shot from a first-person perspective. Yep.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Stijn says:

Uh oh.

• Commisar says:

let the raging begin ala XCOM :)

• Kerbobotat says:

I dont get all this hate over the FPS’ising of games. But anyway

Heres an open source fan remake of Syndicate for my First-person hating brothers out there.

• Nicholas Totton says:

What’s so complex about why people don’t like it? They are making a new game in a loved franchise, and they are changing the entire genre of the series to appeal to the console kids. How do you not understand it?

• Kamos says:

What exactly don’t you understand? Instead of getting an updated, evolved version for a classic game, we’ll get yet another FPS spin off. That, and a link to a sourceforge remake.

EDIT: beat by Nicholas by mere seconds. :-)

• LostViking says:

I totally agree with Nicholas here.
      I love bacon, but I don’t want every dish in the world to have bacon in it. I like cars from Audi, but don’t want every other car maker to copy them.

What is annoying about FPS-ing everything is that we don’t get to experience how a proper sequel made with todays technology would be like, without it having to be a FPS.

• Bonedwarf says:

Nicholas: No, they’re taking a beloved name, like Infogrames did with Atari, and slapping it on a turd and expecting it to sell based on nostalgia.

It will wallow in it’s own filth and mediocrity, and you will all buy it, because that’s what you do.

• Nicholas Totton says:

No I won’t. I’m one of those rare people that say something, then follow through with said statement.

2. Lewie Procter says:

Finally. An FPS where I can slow down time.

3. Po0py says:

HAHAHHAHHAHAHHA!

Wait. Sorry. Just realized this is not supposed to be funny.

4. pakoito says:

Wait a second…Syndicate was set in the future? I always thought it was a Mafia game.

• jellydonut says:

Seriously? Cyborgs, chip implants, laser weapons?

• pakoito says:

I always *heard* of it and saw 480×320 screenshots that I didn’t pay much attention to.

• Jackablade says:

You’re probably thinking of Gangsters. Similar looking game.

• Electricleash says:

EA have just seen the sales figures of DX:HR and thought:

-Hey we’ve ALSO got one of those scifi-cyber-punk IP’s, the collective says it’s time to milk our own proverbially fat cyber-punk cow.’
      -Get on that Johnson!’
      -yesir!

• JackShandy says:

Electricleash, I agree with everything your comment said right up to the part where this is a bad thing.

The more AAA compainies that rip off HR the better, as far as I’m concerned.

• pakoito says:

> You’re probably thinking of Gangsters. Similar looking game.

Right on the spot: http://img.squakenet.com/snapshot/9992/13367-GangstersOrganizedCrime.jpg

Well that means one more classic game to my backlog.

• pizzapicante27 says:

@JackShandy Beacuse clearly we need more of EA’s take on RPG’s like Inviscible War and DA2

• Spider Jerusalem says:

Man. Gangsters was so good.

• Strangineer says:

ElectricLeash: To my knowledge, Syndicate has been in development for around 2 years at Starbreeze…

• rei says:

Some of the script was leaked a year or two ago as well. It was horrifyingly painful, with an AI trying to learn how to love, or some such nonsense, and about as far from the original game as possible.

• zbeeblebrox says:

“I am not just any robot. I’m a robot…with the HEART OF A MAN!”

• Tatourmi says:

You sir don’t know the mafia very much. DO YOU THINK CRIME MAKES ITSELF? No, and how do you do it? With lasers. Simple as that. You are just a victim of mafia disinformation.

5. arienette says:

“Sci-Fi Fiction” redundant much?

• Dawngreeter says:

It was approved by the Redundancy Department of Redundancy

• Antsy says:

That department is now closed. Some staff were moved to the Ministry of Tautology and the rest were made redundant.

6. Juxtapox says:

FPS….

7. Hentzau says:

Oh. Good.

• Rhygadon says:

Help! I know you’re quoting a game … it’s a game I’ve played recently … where a character says that as you [blow him up / remove him from your team / deliver bad news / ???] … I can hear the voice … but I can’t remember the game! *hippocampal agony*

What game was that??

8. faelnor says:

I too want to immerse myself in the world of Science-Fiction Fiction.

• Persus-9 says:

Science Fiction Fiction… yeah, I think there’s a game there. I’m thinking of some sort of Game Dev Story type game set at a science fiction magazine or publishing house. Managing a team of editors, writers, graphic designers etc. Balancing selling rights to make movies, TV series and games while trying not to ensure the dumbed down crap they turn into doesn’t alienate your fans. I’ll be interested to see how Starbreeze do it as an FPS, looks like they’re also setting it in a science fiction environment so I guess it’s all about the future of science fiction production and what they meant was science fiction science fiction. Perhaps some emphasis on industrial espionage, stealing screenplays and manuscripts to get the ideas out first and make the other company look like copycats. Interesting.

• westyfield says:

Written by bestselling author Italo Calvino.

• BathroomCitizen says:

For a moment you got me thinking about Science & Industry, the old Half-Life 1 mod. You know, the part where there are two corporations stealing scientists and hampering their enemies’ research.

Now, that was dope.

9. jellydonut says:

Not necessarily a bad thing as long as the atmosphere is right.

Still, Paradox’s version might be more faithful.

10. Rii says:

“Men will get shot from a first-person perspective. Yep.”

EA men?

11. Teddy Leach says:

And it’s from the Butcher Bay devs.

12. bill says:

I’ve been waiting for a sci-fi FPS where i could slow down time and have other special abilities! And shoot people!!

The PC has been severely lacking those!

• Bret says:

Hey, Tom Francis had the right of it when he said the only games that don’t need gratuitous slow motion are the ones that already have it.

13. jellydonut says:

Oh wait what FUCK.

‘The game description was put up early on the EA Origin store together with some screenshots.’
    ‘The game description was put up early on the EA Origin store’
    ‘EA Origin store’

Great, another potentially awesome game raped by EA.

Fuck you, EA.

• Johnny Lizard says:

Yeah, fuck you EA. Fuck you for putting your game description up early, with screenshots!

• Werthead says:

Electronic Arts published the original game and kept the rights to the name, so it has been clear that EA was going to be publishing the game for some time, and unfortunately putting it on their propriety electronic store was going to be inevitable.

So this is not a great surprise. However, it should be available from other sources as well (and, at the very least, from stores).

• MadMinstrel says:

Who cares if it’s available from stores if you have to sign up with their crappy store and run their crappy executable 24/7? There’s no way I’m buying under those conditions.

• Shortwave says:

Man, you said that like a total douche but I agree 100%.
      The second I noticed this was EA I did a face palm.

Up till’ that point I didn’t understand why all the comments seemed so negative.
      Now I’ll continue to breed this negativity!

BUT.. As long as I can buy it anywhere but Origin I’m willing to give it a chance.
      I long for more well done coop FPS games.

• Vinraith says:

@Sheng-Ji

Now see, the OP here is actually misusing the word “rape” in the way you suggest in our other sub-thread. I’d suggest directing your ire over here.

• Sheng-ji says:

@ Vinraith – taking our debate across multiple posts is really uncool. But Jellydonut, he is correct, if you want to learn of my opinion of your use of language, please see page 3, right at the bottom (Or p4 right at the top!)

• Vinraith says:

@Sheng-Ji

It was not my intention to be “uncool” but rather to point out an instance where I feel your complaints would be 100% valid, as a helpful illustration. In short, if those comments had been under this OP I’d never have posted anything to begin with.

• Antsy says:

Let’s instead say rapine!

I’m pissed off at the rapine inflicted upon yet another classic IP!

• Sheng-ji says:

@Vinraith – Sure, I get that, but you could have posted that in the thread where we were discussing it. The reason I found it uncool is that we may have disagreed over there – well I’m not convinced we do 100% but despite what everyone was saying, I wasn’t angry nor do I hold peoples comments against them personally. If it starts getting referenced in other places, it becomes a thing between you and I, rather than a debate we had in that thread. We have agreed and disagreed on a lot of different issues since I found this site and one of the cool things about it is that people on the whole don’t take it too personally.

Also, I know you weren’t trolling, but that is a quite common troll tactic. I think keeping discussions self contained on here helps to maintain a friendly atmosphere.

• Vinraith says:

@Sheng-Ji

My apologies, then. It certainly wasn’t my intention to make it something personal, nor to troll of course.

14. Lukasz says:

I am waiting for Alpha Centauri the FPS

• BooleanBob says:

It’s been handed to Raven, so you might have to wait ’til they finish up with Star Control 3: The FPS first.

• Wilson says:

@poop IV – I never played that much Cannon Fodder, but ‘where I press x to revive jops’ made me laugh. A very funny image for some reason.

• BathroomCitizen says:

C’mon, don’t be so snarky with Raven Software. They gave us Heretic 2 and Jedi Academy!

• LionsPhil says:

Slightly ahead of you there.

Although I forgot to allow for Stasis Field shielding meaning you get slow-motion dives.

• Renfield says:

Alpha Centauri the FPS? Rubbish. It’ll clearly be Alpha Centauri the 3rd-person action game with squad management elements. Mild fantasy horror.

• Kadayi says:

I guess someone got banned.

15. Tretiak says:

Next: Age of Empires FPS.

16. CMaster says:

While it’s still a little “Why does everything have to be T/FPS, big 4 publishers, why?”
    It doesn’t sound all bad. I’d love some Deus Ex multiplayer (like actual DX multiplayer, not the stupid deathmatch mode that came with DX:GOTY). I’m sure we’ll soon see how ridiculous it is.

• Stitched says:

Because FPS make a fuck-ton of money*

*as long as you are in the top 3 games in the genre or CoD

• CMaster says:

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying they shouldn’t make FPS games.
      I’m just saying the apparent need for everything to be an FPS confuses me. (Look at 2K – other than Civ, I don’t think they’re doing anything that isn’t a shooter). Especially when other game styles seem to be pretty much ignored.

17. Tzarkahn says:

Yay Richard Morgan, there might be some Sex.

• lowprices says:

4-player co-op sex?

Not sure whether or not to be excited about Richard Morgan as writer. I really enjoyed the Takashi Kovacs books and The Steel Remains, but he also wrote the story for Crysis 2. Which was less ‘a story’ and more ‘several dudes bellowing conspiracy theories at each other.’

• Tzarkahn says:

Imagine if it was like Market Forces, Lawyer Car Samurai.

• Nick says:

graphic descriptions of cum on faces please.

• noom says:

I remain unconvinced by Richard Morgan. Altered Carbon was passable but I gave up on the Steel Remains less than halfway through. Not pleased to hear he’s worked on the story tbh :\

• westyfield says:

Argh, I was excited about Richard Morgan writing the story for this until you guys reminded me of that scene in Altered Carbon.
      Grrrrrr.

• henben says:

How come Richard Morgan is getting work as a games writer and not Peter Watts, the guy who did the *novelisation* of Crysis 2? Watts is way better stylistically and in plotting and characterisation, and he actually knows about real science. His retconning of all the flaws in the Crysis 2 story was a joy to read. I hope some savvy game company hires him soon.

• LionsPhil says:

If there’s one thing uninspired sci-fi FPSes need, it’s more awkward attempts to try to write sex scenes for pathetic single nerd gamers.

• lith says:

Richard Morgan’s…OK…Market Forces was pretty good.

But I’m not sure what the hell was going on with Crysis 2. I can only assume that every third page of the script got lost on the way to Crytek, and that script was translated into German via Babelfish. Because none of the dialogue in that game made any sense.

• Kittim says:

@henben
      I concur!
      Morgan’s OK but I prefer Watts. I’ve only read “Blindsight”, not an easy book to get into but well worth the effort. It certainly made me look at the human brain in a new light.

Morgan on the other hand sticks these crappy little sex scenes in his books that just come across as crude, never erotic. They stick out like festering boils on an arse.
      And his use of the C word is very poor. I’ve no problem with author using it as an utterance of their characters or if the character was thinking it. But to use it in a description of two people having sex, that’s just childish and poor vocabulary.

Also Watts is way cooler that Morgan! Early this year Watts got a necrotic illness which nearly killed him. So what did he do? Post the pics on his blog of course!
      I won’t link to them directly as I’m not sure if the posting rules will allow it.
      Here’s the site: http://www.rifters.com
      It’s worth checking out, not just because of the gory pics but he also has some interesting stuff to say.

Sorry for going off topic. As for Syndicate, well I’m going to wait for a “Wot I Think”. From the sounds of it EA are hoping to do a Fallout 3 style reboot. Could go either way.

18. danimalkingdom says:

Oh come on people, what did you think they were going to do?

I always envisioned a syndicate remake as being a first-person game. It may not turn out to be the best course, but you can hardly be surprised they’re going this way. As long as they’re taking their cues from the IP and not from contemporary fps gimickry we should be okay. Just keep the moral ambiguity intact, that’s all i ask.

• Kadayi says:

I’l be honest the idea of 4 player co-op coordinating actions across a game level actually sounds pretty exciting. That the guys behind EFBB are working on it is even more encouraging because that was a bloody good game. Colour me intrigued.

• Kamos says:

Yes, of course… the first person perspective is the ULTIMATE perspective. That’s why since Wolfenstein 3D EVERY game has had the requirement of being a FPS. Hell, if chess was made today, it would have first person perspective. God forbid placing the camera in a way you can see the board. So retrograde.

• karry says:

“That anyone thought, with today’s technology and 3D world creation tools a reboot would simply be an exact recreation of the isomeric play style of the original games is faintly bizarre tbh.”

Did anyone TRY ?!

• Sheng-ji says:

Just be thankful Molyneux didn’t get his hands on it again – he wanted to turn it into an MMO

• bill says:

Syndicate was a game where you had total freedom to wander around a city distrcit, filled with civillians, and where you could amass an army of said civilians to act as a human shield for you.

This seems to be a corridor shooter with force powers.

How are they taking inspiration from the original IP?

• Sheng-ji says:

Wow, Bill, you have seen the final level layouts and how the game will work…. Can you share your source?

• Kamos says:

I remember there was a mission where you’were supposed to assassinate a heavily guarded guy. I died on that one a gazillion times. Finally, I took a car, waited for him to cross the street and ran him over, leaving before his bodyguards could do anything.

• Turkey says:

Today’s technology? More like lack of mice.

• Zrzosaar Xun 12 says:

“Agreed. That anyone thought, with today’s technology and 3D world creation tools a reboot would simply be an exact recreation of the isomeric play style of the original games is faintly bizarre tbh. Games are a reflection of the technologies available to them at the time. Back in 1993 true 3D engines were in their infancy, I don’t doubt though that if the technology & resources of today were available to Sean Cooper at the time Syndicate would of turned out to be a completely different beast. ”
      Not really. Syndicate Wars was made in the days when there were tons of FPS games and it still had pseudo-isometric view.
      What they have done when technical limitations went away was making allowing players to rotate view, to zoom in and out and to make buildings transparent. Oh and they have added flying vehicles.
      Syndicate as a FPS wouldn’t make sense because in that game you’re basically an evil corporate gangster flying over a futuristic town in a blimp and giving orders from above to your cyborg puppets.

• Vinraith says:

In the wake of Alien Swarm and other, similar games it’s not as though a 4 player co-op game with an angled top-down third person camera is some kind of outlandish, ancient thing.

• Sheng-ji says:

@Vinraith, Ohhhh yeah, syndicate with alien swarm style engine, that would be really sweet!

• Kadayi says:

@Zrzosaar Xun 12

A game that’s co-op splinter cell/Deus Ex doesn’t actually sound all that terrible to me. Like anything the only thing people are really pissed about is the name (same with XCOM). It all seems a bit OTT tbh, given the original games still exist. It’s not like EA are George Lucas and erasing the past.

• Kamos says:

@Kadayi

Yes, they are not erasing the past. They are erasing the future – games like Syndicate won’t ever be made again because there is an arbitrary rule that dictates classic games must be remade into FPS’. That is worse than erasing the past, imho.

• Srethron says:

The issue is that, instead of learning from the past, they are rebooting it. Always as FPS. Imagine how games like Syndicate and X-COM/UFO could be built upon, instead of merely rebooted.

• Kadayi says:

@Kamos

“They are erasing the future – games like Syndicate won’t ever be made again because there is an arbitrary rule that dictates classic games must be remade into FPS”

Have you heard yourself? There’s absolutely nothing stopping anyone from making a modern isometric syndicate style game today or tomorrow. They just can’t call it ‘syndicate’ is all. Love original X-com? you’ll probably love Xenonauts then: -

Too much melodrama tbh.

• psyk says:

“This is part of the core gameplay in Syndicate. It allowed you to complete missions in the most absurd ways.”

Like? the example you gave was not absurd.

• Werthead says:

“That the guys behind EFBB are working on it”

They are not. There’s been a lot of turnover at Starbreeze in the last couple of years and most of the team around when the excellent EFBB was made have moved on to found a new company (currently working with Bethesda on a new IP, I believe). It’s the same company, but not specifically the same people.

“@Zrzosaar Xun 12, Syndicate came out the same year as Doom, 1993. It was really until Half-life, SiN & DX that FPS had developed to the point where in they’d be capable to covering the sort of bases and complexity a 3D n Syndicate would of required.”

I think he was referring to Syndicate Wars, which came out in 1996. Though even that was still a little early for doing it justice in 3D. Around the time of DEUS EX I think would be the earliest it could work (though the vast chasms and tall buildings of JEDI KNIGHT in 1997 could have been a pointer for how it could work).

• Kamos says:

@Kadayi

“Have you heard yourself? There’s absolutely nothing stopping anyone from making a modern isometric syndicate style game today or tomorrow. They just can’t call it ‘syndicate’ is all. Love original X-com? you’ll probably love Xenonauts then… Too much melodrama tbh.”

Nah, it’s not that there is too much melodrama in what I said – it is just that there is too much stupidity in one who analyses my argument and dismisses it by comparing Xenonauts to what EA could potentially do. Between that and your condescending tone, I can’t be bothered to elaborate. In time: go play Sauerbraten, I hear it is a great alternative to Battlefield 3.

@psyk

My point was that in Syndicate it was often not about charging in with guns blazing, but about waiting for the right moment. In my example, I botched the mission a hundred times and then something unexpected happened – my mark decided to cross the street, giving me the perfect opportunity. Ah, it reminds me of another game that was also very much about “maneuvering” around insurmountable odds – Commando.

Anyway, maybe it is just something that arised from the way I played (I heard people saying the exploded everything and got away with it), but this is something I’d expect to see in the new Syndicate game. Actually, I’d like to see how a spy vs. spy / Commando co-op game would turn out.

19. Eclipse says:

At least it’s from Starbreeze (Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena, Escape from Butcher Bay), and that’s a very good thing.

But seems like it will be a single player fps with a single main character (at least the story seems to be around a single man).
    4 players co-op seems to be interesting.

I’d rather see an Rainbow six-like game (the first one) in the Syndicate universe than this

• Jazz42 says:

..erm you’re forgetting the best game they made. The Darkness.
      Not a PC game, but still far superior to the Riddick games…apart from the bits in no-mans land.

• BurningPet says:

The original key members of Starbreeze all left.

They are basically a new team/studio.

• mangrove says:

Yeah, they became Machinegames and were acquired by Zenimax last year, who changed their name to something like Zyklon B Sweden.

Apparently they are working with the idtech 5 engine. Good stuff.

• Srethron says:

Starbreeze = fingers crossed for no TAGES DRM. Among other things. But, I must admit, I’ve been somewhat disappointed with the performance of the primary unit.

20. DeanLearner says:

I don’t understand why they do this?

If it’s to interest “new” players, why even bother associating it with the name syndicate because surely it won’t mean a thing to them?

If someone remakes Theme Hospital as a first person shooter, I’ll be jolly ticked off.

• Stitched says:

To reboot a franchise to make money.

I thought this was obvious.

• Bobby Oxygen says:

Because nothing frightens publishers more than new IP’s. If it doesn’t have any brand recognition, it must be evil and scary, and they’ll have nothing to do with it.

• JackShandy says:

90% of new IP’s die, I’m told.

• Erd says:

I’m in the same boat. It seems utterly pointless to attach the name. It might make men in a board room feel more secure, but the reality seems like the strength of the IP is worthless when pitching to a market with no preconceptions to it. They won’t call it Syndicate 3 or ‘sequel to the 90′s smash hit Syndicate’.

21. rocketman71 says:

I’m still waiting for the Populous reboot. It’s going to be FPS of the year!

• lowprices says:

Meh. Wake me when they reboot Tetris as an FPS.

• JackShandy says:

I’m still waiting for the Dwarf Fortress FPS.

• westyfield says:

I’m still waiting for the Call of Duty turn-based strategy game.

• Dozer says:

@JackShandy you’re joking, but I think a first-person Dwarf Fortress could be workable. You’d play as the fort leader, the 3d world would probably look not unlike Minceraft, you’d find a desk and draw up plans and give them to your miners and cabinet-haulers. Basically the gameplay would be broadly the same as DF is now, but you’d have a player avatar character in the world, and the world would be rendered in 3d as well as in 2d on the charts and plans on your character’s desk.

Another game that went to a first-person perspective very well: Silent Hunter III, about seven or eight years ago. Was very immersive (pun!) to be wandering around the command room of your submarine, seeing your crew in 3d in your face, as well as as little 2d icons on a crew manifest diagram. Still mostly I’d be controlling the submarine with the HUD and keyboard shortcuts and viewing the 2d maps and diagrams.

(I’ve never played Syndicate and have no idea if it can be turned into a good FP-game. I don’t have an expectation this is going to be good though… but it’s nice to have a little hope…)

• Sheng-ji says:

Best I can do for you all

• Kamos says:

Dungeon Keeper also allowed you to run around in a first person perspective. There is nothing wrong with first person as long as it is a means to an end, and not an end in itself.

• DigitalSignalX says:

@Sheng-ji that was awesome.

22. Anthile says:

If it’s a good game, I might even buy and play. If it sucks, I won’t. I don’t have any nostalgia associated with the name Syndicate and I don’t think it was even particularly amazing.

23. Stitched says:

Countdown to rage post about boycotting EA and Origin in 3…2…1…

24. Moni says:

Oh my knees are jerking, I can tell from the screenshots it plays like consolified rubbish. God, I bet there’s even a cover system.

• Unaco says:

Yeah… and we saw how terrible the cover system was in DXHR. I bet they’ll even put in Regenerating Health, just to make their copying of DXHR more blatant.

You can also tell from the screenshots there’s going to be retailer specific pre-order exclusives for it.

• Sheng-ji says:

Oh God and the screenshots clearly show always on DRM.

• kongming says:

I, too, am baselessly skeptical that this game will follow the prevailing trends of all other big budget FPS games.

25. arash says:

so…. basically EA gets Starbreeze to make Syndicate as “Deus Ex HR, but with an Left4Dead flavoured multiplayer”.

Look, I’ll still probably play it, but it smells like disappointment already.

• Stitched says:

Whenever someone says “I’ll probably play it”, I always read it as “I’ll probably pirate it”.

26. Cunzy1 1 says:

LE VISAGE. C’est triste.

27. Matt says:

“9 missions re-imagined from the original Syndicate,”

wait – isn’t the whole game ‘re-imagined’ into something that isn’t actually Syndicate?

• MadTinkerer says:

The number one thing for me is: will the dude you’re looking out the eyes of be the guy you’re controlling OR:

Will the guy you’re controlling be a puppet agent of another character which is the actual “you”?

One of the most delightfully sinister aspects of the original Syndicate games was the fact that the agents were all mind controlled puppets enslaved by you. If you get to “respawn” when you die by taking over another sleeper/host/civilian, that would totally be Syndicate right there.

Wow, I just realized how much The Matrix’s “Agents” were ripped straight from Syndicate. Well anyway…

• Sheng-ji says:

Actually Mad Tinkerer…. You’ve just made me realise – Syndicate was from first person perspective!

• Werthead says:

One of the screenshots shows a platform in the sea, so I assume they are specifically remaking the Atlantic Accelerator mission from the original game, amongst several others.

28. Kollega says:

EDIT: I have to say that i was a bit harsh on cyberpunk. Dosen’t change the fact that i’m seriously tired of seeing it in the gaming news.

EDIT EDIT: the original post about the dislike of cyberpunk is removed, since i don’t find myself dedicated enough to fight in a protracted Internet argument. Especially if i can’t win it and admit my mistake. Call me cowardly, but arguing takes up a lot of time, and i feel like it’ll be better spend doing something else.

I really should learn not to begin said protracted Internet arguments.

• YourMessageHere says:

Yes, positive, optimistic and happy wargames, in primary colours and with no narrative complexity whatsoever. That’s a great idea, and not at all totally nonsensical.

Perhaps you should go and watch Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, and then have a little think about what you just said regarding positivity and bleakness.

• Kollega says:

Advance Wars?

In seriousness, though: TF2 is a fine example of a game that dosen’t take itself seriously, and is all the better for it. I want more of that, less of cyberpunk. Or we could have narrative complexity, but in a pastel-colored adventure with a happy resolution. More of that, less of cyberpunk, please.

• Jazz42 says:

difficult to not do Syndicate with cyberpunk considering..well..it’s cyberpunk.
      I remember playing the original on my Amiga many many many moons ago. I can’t say the same for Team Fortress..nor would i really want to.

• BooleanBob says:

Advance Wars was always amusing. Everyone was so damn happy to be at war with each other!

• Kollega says:

I know that original Syndicate was cyberpunk. Dosen’t change the fact that i don’t like cyberpunk and would much rather see it go away for a while in favour of… say, in favour of relaunching Spore or making a new SimCity game, one that is actually good. EA, get to it!

• Dawngreeter says:

You know what I hate? Like, really hate? No? Well I’ll tell you anyway.

Russian realists being overly represented in modern culture. Why can’t we have more Nietzsche and less Dostoevsky? Not to diss Ana Karenina or anything. Fine piece of literary work. But I’m just so tired of all the references to social framework within which prominent characters operate and the harsh everyday life putting a strangling leash on dreams of unrealized dreamers. Can we have something for the more sophisticated among us, who would prefer, say, a movie version of Teletubbies?

• Kollega says:

So. If it’s dark and gritty, it’s neccesarily sophisticated. If it’s bright and cheery, it’s neccesarily for kids. Yes.

I understand that you and many other people here are annoyed with my neverending posts calling for less dark grittiness, but that argument dosen’t really hold up. You wouldn’t call the bright spy movie parodies like TF2, Evil Genius or No-One Lives Forever kiddy – or would you?

• CMaster says:

No, but your insinuation that Cyberpunk is everywhere and constant is pretty out of whack. Yes, we’ve had Human Revolution, E.Y.E. and Hard Reset this year, but before that? I’m sure there’s something between then and invisible war, but it’s hardly a constant gaming theme.

Oh and of course the “for more discerning tastes” line. “I don’t like it, therefore it is for idiots”.

• Kollega says:

Well, okay. I admit my mistake with the “discerning tastes” line. Sorry, everyone involved. Maybe i should just edit that out? Call me a coward, but i don’t really feel like devoting the time to fight in a flame war. Especially now that i’ve realized my mistake.

I really should learn to keep my irritation with dark grittiness to myself. But alas.

• fenriz says:

at the moment we are pessimistic about the future. When the world starts becoming a better place to live in, we will definitely be seeing the shiny and glossy type of sci-fi.

what else? I love beneath a steel sky.

• henben says:

Why is cyberpunk “in” at the moment? It deals with unregulated corporations controlling the direction of society, amoral hackers who work for the highest bidder, prosthetics and augmented reality systems that can enhance human capabilities, environmental collapse… Can’t see why that strikes a chord with people.

• Kollega says:

@henben: Well, i probably don’t like cyberpunk because i think about these issues a lot as it is, don’t feel like i can do much to solve them, and i’m rather prone to depression on top of that.

@fenriz: I can’t wait for the brighter sci-fi to reemerge when the world gets better. IF it gets better.

• pipman3000 says:

cyberpunk is still 1000x better then that stupid steampunk “superglue some gears and a pressure gauge to my gameboy, dress and act like a classless manchilds interpretation of a british gentlemen, etc” crap.

i strongly dislike who ever came up with steampunk and i hope they feel bad for making it.

• Sheng-ji says:

I like steampunk personally, but I do appreciate it’s not going to be to everyones tastes – But the only steampunk I’ve loved is Thief’s version.

• GBoyzJay says:

Actually, Steampunk is a fair bit more than that. Perhaps you might want to read “The Difference Engine”, to give you an idea. The whole point of Steampunk is not “What ho, tally ho, strap some gears on and it’s all good”, it’s an alternate history… What if Babbage’s computer had become the real thing, a worldwide system of pneumatic pumps carried your mail, and the terrible victorian ethos survived to the modern day?

It is, to be fair, often translated as “Stick a gear and some pipes on it, it’s good”, but it doesn’t have to be. Just like Cyberpunk isn’t “Stick a leather trenchcoat, some mirrorshades, and a green-screen computer on, it’s all good.”

• cjlr says:

Hey now, the Difference Engine is fantastic.

Not that there’s much OTHER good steampunk, but still… How much good cyberpunk was there (IS there)? Sturgeon’s law, guys. Sturgeon’s law.

29. razzafazza says:

would have been more interested if the paradox rumours that its a GTA-like were true. i could really picture a new syndicate game as some mix of Red Faction: Guerilla and Prototype but that d have been too good to be true…

this sounds like another story-based FPS and instead of being able to create my own agents (and get them killed!) i ll have to play another douchebag created by a marketing department through his familiy issues =/

maybe the coop might be interesting though…

• henben says:

Yeah, a GTA type design would have made total sense. A lot of the powers would have translated across: the loyalty gun which gave you a crowd of expendable followers. Couldn’t you also hack into cars and control them?

30. megazver says:

I am actually okay with this. I do want to play Swat 4: Deus Ex edition and the big publishers are the only ones who can afford to make it. An old Syndicate-style game, on the other hand, is within reach of the middle tier and the indies so that’s who should be going for it.

• CMaster says:

I too would love to play Deus SWAT, by whatever name it comes out under (in fact, it’s a game design I’ve pitched around groups of gamers for years). I’m concerned what we’ll actually get is Gears of Cyberpunk however.

31. YourMessageHere says:

Other than Origin, this is nice in principle, but I seriously doubt they’ll manage to make it good, much as they failed to make Syndicate Wars good. Well, it might be good but the probability is small, and the probability of it being good AND like Syndicate is even smaller. I think the best thing to do is embrace this one fact:

Syndicate is over.

32. HexagonalBolts says:

What is the job description for the person who writes things like ‘A neural DART6 chip implant that allows you to interface directly with the Dataverse’?

33. Zogtee says:

I am old, so I remember the C64 days when Ocean would routinely buy all movie to game franchises and without fail turn them all into platformers. Total Recall? Platformer. Lethal Weapon? Platformer. And so on.

This reminds me of that, when devs and publishers are opening graves looking for old games that can be recycled again and without fail, they turn them into FPS.

34. Dawngreeter says:

You know what, this is awesome. I really feel we need a 4-player coop shooter of the first person variety. I think it’s a very underused genre and had I three friends, I’d have no way to interact with them in some sort of multiplayer shooter capacity. I especially feel it is important that we do this in a game which tries to assure us it has something to do with a completely different game we played as kids. And anyway, my inner child was woefully underabused these days.

35. Napalm Sushi says:

I see indoor corridors, a scripted set-piece and a very distinct lack of panicking civilians.

Oh well.

36. Jimbo says:

“Chip Enhanced Gameplay…”

All gameplay is enhanced with chips.

Also, that syndicate guy looks suspiciously like he just walked off the cover of DX: Invisible War. You can just tell he’s about to bro out and hold his gun sideways.

37. Jackablade says:

Not sure about this one. I suppose as long as you can still form an army of mind controlled NPCs and melt people with the gauss gun it’ll still offer everything I played Syndicate for back in the day.

38. Sorbicol says:

First X-COM, now this? Stop raping my childhood and make it stop! Make it stop!!!!

• pipman3000 says:

stop comparing everything to rape you adolescent.

• pipman3000 says:

oh no they’re remaking this top down manshooter as a first person manshooter this is just like having some dude hold me down and force himself inside of me! the first person perps is like vaginal/anal tearing, the co-op is like mental/emotional trauma, the graphics like being called a filthy lying whore, and the price tag is like having to buy a rape kit in alaska

this vidyurrr gmae = just like being raped – sorbical: rape expert

• Prime says:

Hey, guess what Pip – Internet usage is changing/enlarging the semantics behind the word ‘rape’! This happens ALL THE TIME in the English language (Gay used to mean Happy, etc…). Rape in this context has semantic association with the physical sexual act, yes, but as applied in this circumstance it is being used differently. I would suggest the meaning of this “to rape a childhood” is closer to “despoil, sully, tarnish” to a degree (in the commenter’s mind) similar to that of sexual assault.

How about we lay off the linguistic fascism for a bit, yeah? Or are you also camped out on MTV forums objecting to use of the word “Pimped” meaning to “customise/personalise in an elaborate/extravagant fashion”?

• Sheng-ji says:

@Prime, I’f you’re OK with the word rape being used in this context, then you make me sick. The English language is a beautiful thing and there are many ways to express yourself without resorting to using emotively charged words.

The OP used that word because he is grossly exaggerating his point by a massive amount in order to achieve two things. Firstly he wants the kind of sympathy afforded to a rape victim. Secondly he wants to make his point actually seem to be legitimate.

• Sorbicol says:

Ah the unending and rather unedifying ability of holier than thou people to be offended by absolutely everything they read on the internet.

If you refer to the oxford English Dictionary, I believe you will find the following definitions of the word “rape”

[mass noun]
      1 the crime, typically committed by a man, of forcing another person to have sexual intercourse with the offender against their will.
      2 the wanton destruction or spoiling of a place

I of course meant the use of the word “rape” in this sentence with regard to the second definition, even if I am getting a bit metaphysical by referring to my Childhood as a place.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should probably stop playing games, get out more and understand the language they are using somewhat better.

• Sheng-ji says:

No-one is destroying your childhood. When this game comes out, your memories will be as intact as they are now. And unless your ENTIRE childhood was syndicate and xcom(In which case, you’ve got bigger problems) then they are not destroying your entire childhood. Furthermore, lets not skip the word wantonly – EA have not set out to destroy a minuscule percentage of specifically YOUR childhood. Finally rape, in all contexts is a very serious criminal offence and no matter what the dictionary says, the legal definition of rape is rather rigid. EA, by releasing this game are not committing a criminal offence. Rape is.

By releasing this game, EA are not raping you. If you believe they are, then you need to stop playing games and get out a lot more… In fact, If you genuinely believe this is the equivalent to rape, then just stop playing games forever before you end up in a mental hospital

And if I’m not allowed to be offended by you comparing rape to a videogame, then what am I allowed to be offended by? I find it quite sick that you use the term so freely with absolutely no context of what rape is and what it does to victims of rape. You are clearly not one and I hope you never will be, because in my professional life I have to help ensure that rape victims get justice (Both falsely accused and genuine victims) and you have no idea – most victims would prefer to have been murdered.

And finally don’t use the dictionary to find a precise definition then use metaphorical abstraction to make it actually fit – we are either going precise or metaphorical, but the two don’t mix. The dictionary gives you a definition for the use of the word pertaining to a person or a place – a particular position, point, or area in space; a location. Not your childhood memories… You are using it pertaining to a person, at best, yourself – which leads us the the first definition you published above.

But here’s the acid test. Text your 100 closest friends who have not seen this post three words “I’ve been raped”. If even a single one of them interprets that to equate to this situation, I will concede that the English language is indeed changing to include this situation under the term rape.

• Lars Westergren says:

Well spoken, pipman and Sheng-Ji. I always get cheered up when someone dares to speak up online for basic human decency.

• Sorbicol says:

Sheng-Ji,

Well done for completely missing the the entire point of what it is was I posted above. You can’t qualify your argument just by using the phrase “it doesn’t matter what it says in the dictionary.” I afraid that everything I said in that first post is entirely based in context of that word’s meaning in the English Language, and quite clearly at no point did I mean that EA were literally fucking me up the arse in releasing Syndicate as an FPS game, which appears to be the context in which you are taking that sentence and the word “Rape”.

I’ll apologise for using a contentious word, but not in the context in which it was used. You have turned this into an issue because you want to, not because you need to.

• Vinraith says:

@Sheng-Ji

Text 100 of your closest friends with “my childhood’s been raped” and see how many of them misunderstand it to mean you’ve been sexually assaulted. None will, because that’s a known phrase in common discourse with an understood meaning rooted in the second definition of “rape” specified above, and furthermore you know that. You don’t like that meaning, you don’t like that phrase, and you’ve made it a project to “change” that by getting offended every time you see it used. That’s fine, good luck with that, but don’t play ignorant about known meanings and uses of the word and don’t put words in other people’s mouths to try to make your case.

• Zrzosaar Xun 12 says:

It kinda reminds me what happened to me once when I was a kid. I went to city centre and met an older teenage kid. Took away my keys and my school legitimation and threatened to rape me if I won’t give him a handjob. I cried but I had to touch him down there until he was satisfied… Curiously he didn’t ejaculate. He proposed me that he’d do the same for me but I refused as I was a good Christian kid (actually I remember asking him – “Why don’t you catch some girl?” and him just chuckling. I was that naive back then). I remember that the first thing I did was taking a shower. Feeling dirty and crying under a shower.

Yeah, so, I have to say that the whole re-imagining stuff feels just like that, except that it lasts much longer and I don’t cry as I’m a grown man. So, even if you’re not right to call it rape, it’s certainly comparable to some form sexual abuse. That what I can say from my experience.

And all these lies about technological limitations, about FPS being the only valid genre, etc. are exactly like stigmatization of sexual abuse victim by the society.
      It all makes me feel dirty…

• Sheng-ji says:

@ Vinraith – As Sorbicol quite clearly pointed out with his dictionary definition – and note: he went there, not me – The Oxford English Dictionary, which only a week or two ago completed this year’s update, does not recognise this use of that word.

My personal crusade is not against that word, yes the act is vile and hateful, but one thread where I object to it’s use a crusade does not make.

But you are not wrong on one point – I do have a personal crusade. It is to stop this kind of stupid overreaction. And yes, I will continue to call people out when they make idiotic statements. I will point out quite how much they are overreacting and I will tell them in my plainest English exactly what I think of them.

I know exactly why people misuse words like rape – it’s to try to provoke an emotive response and give their statements power. But, as he clearly defined, the term cannot be applied to his childhood. You cannot rape a childhood, no matter what you do. If it was accepted into common use, it would have been in the dictionary. But it’s not, and neither should it be as it is an illogical, manipulative statement.

And I will not hesitate to call people out for doing this.

• Vinraith says:

@Sheng-Ji

The usage in question is outlined in definition 2 in the OED, it is in common usage. Childhood is a metaphorical place, and like any place can be “raped” by the definition in question. Hell, this particular usage was the basis of an entire episode of South Park, it’s hardly some new and unknown thing. You are certainly free to be offended about anything you like, but you’re just making yourself look silly here, and undermining any genuine point you might have in the process.

• Sheng-ji says:

Zrzosaar Xun 12, No-one will believe that story, so before I block you for, in my opinion pretending you have been sexually abused and likening it to a company making a product you don’t like could you answer the following question: Who said FPS is the only valid genre?

From what I can tell from a few upcoming big releases, we have Old Republic – not a FPS, Skyrim – not and FPS, Diablo 3 – not an FPS.

Whats selling on steam right now: Men of War – Strategy, Dead Island – ARPG, Call of Juarez – FPS, Rock of Ages – Racing, Pride of Nations – Strategy, Sims Medieval – Simulation

One game, at number 3.

• Sheng-ji says:

Vinraith, the whole point of the dictionary is to provide concise definitions for words. I don’t know if you noticed but I quoted the exact Oxford English definition for the word place and it seemed to concentrate on physical locations. You can’t mix precise definitions and metaphorical examples.

And please don’t try to back up your argument with “There was a whole episode of South Park about it”, whilst telling me I am undermining my own argument.

Please, Vinraith, may I ask you a direct question. If you believe that it is quite appropriate to use the word rape to describe this situation, what word would you use in place of rape to construct a similar statement about the following scenario:

I have developed a product which can affect your brain, specifically the part which holds your dearest childhood memories. It is a machine which broadcasts radiation across the whole world affecting everybody. It is designed to manipulate your childhood memories so that you remember with fondness any product which pays me enough. I first turned it on a year ago when startup soft drinks company Coca Cola paid me £1000.

I’m sure we agree, that scenario is way off the scale compared to EA is bringing out a game and it’s set in the universe of another game I loved but I’m worried it may be crap. But we’ve already blown rape on the EA example… so we need a word several magnitudes worse than rape….. I’ll await your answer with eager anticipation.

(P.S. I chose Coca Cola not because I believe they are in any way shape or form evil, but because I personally have very fond childhood memories of the drink)

@Sorbicol – firstly I apologise for misspelling your name above, I think I corrected them all. My problem as I stated above is not the fact that you wrote a contentious word, it’s that you used it in a completely inappropriate way. You gave me the concise definition yourself, and it has two – 1) Being forced into a sexual act or 2) Destroying or ruining a place.

Your childhood is not a physical place. Even if it was, this is not spoiling or ruining it. How will your fond memories of the original game possible be affected if this game is rubbish. They won’t unless you let them be. (So I guess it’s more masturbation than rape) .

You took it to concise definitions, not me. So your use of language was wrong. Worse than that however was why you did it. Which I have written about plenty above.

• Vinraith says:

You can’t mix precise definitions and metaphorical examples.

*blink* Seriously? Several centuries of art and literature beg to differ.

Please, Vinraith, please may I ask you a direct question. If you believe that it is quite appropriate to use the word rape to describe this situation

Where have I said, or even suggested, such a thing? My argument is that the phrase being used here is common usage, it is easily understood to the entire audience (including yourself, you might as well just break down and admit that), it is not intended to convey what you keep insisting it is intended to convey. Nowhere have I suggested that I agree with the sentiment being expressed.

As to your scenario:

No, we haven’t. I certainly haven’t used the word “rape” to describe my feelings about the Syndicate situation, and you’ve made it abundantly clear that you haven’t either. The semantic problem you describe is Sorbitol’s issue, not mine or yours. Perhaps he feels the situation you describe is on par with this one. Perhaps he feels that both situations are bad enough to qualify for the term “rape” and would apply it to both. I don’t know, I’m not him, and I’m certainly not here to police his use of language. Strangely, you seem to be.

• Prime says:

Sheng-ji, I’m sorry but it is hard to take your points seriously when you are, as Vinraith has pointed out, ignoring facts which don’t help you and twisting people’s statements. We get that you’re angry, and we can understand why, but I honestly believe that the use of the word, as Sorbicol has chosen to, is perfectly valid English. English is a beautiful language but pretending that only nice things can exist within it is to misunderstand linguistic development. The OED is also NOT the sole custodian or final authority of what is, and isn’t, part of the language: everyone is, in the way they use it to communicate. As such, ‘rape’ in the context used above performs its job amazingly well.

Futher, being used to describe the denigration of an artistic work or even an era of human development does not, emphatically not, demean or insult the other usage of the word, that of sexual assault upon a person. The people using that term do not intend to demean anyone who has suffered rape. At least two of my very dear friends have suffered rape in their lives; for that I prefer not to use the internet-born version of it. But I will defend its right to exist as a linguistic tool.

Yes, the word has is being used because it has power, but it only gets that power when people like you choose to respond to it in the way you are.

• Rii says:

And yeah, the same does go for ‘pimped’.

• Sheng-ji says:

@ Vinraith – Sorry if it seems like I made assumptions as to your viewpoint – In all fairness, I did use the word if quite deliberately

To everyone else. I believe I have made my point as adequately as I can. I am not going to repeat myself and once I have finished this short (hopefully) post, I will post no more, though I will read what others want to write. I will be particularly fascinated if Prime would tell me which facts I have ignored!

I do think it’s sick to liken rape to a company making a product someone may not like. No matter how metaphorically. Further more, my big problem with that is it is at the top end of the extreme scale. There is no where to go after rape, it’s as bad as it gets for most people.

I don’t like extremism on this forum and I will call it where I see it. (I don’t see myself as policing it, I wasn’t forbidding it’s use, nor do I have the power to do so, as the word police implies – this is another example of the same kind of extremism, but I will challenge your point of view, and do so in my own straight forward way. I try not to offend, and I hope I haven’t)

Finally, there is only one authority who keep track of the common usage of the English Language, Oxford Dictionary. And they have just updated. And they do not cite this as a valid use of the word. If it was in common usage, it would go in. They work in concise definitions, there is no room for a metaphorical interpretation of what is printed in that book. If you are unsure of a words exact meanings, you can look it up in the same book. When i said you can’t mix precise and metaphorical, I meant this.

• Arathain says:

“Can we vote? I’m in with Sheng-ji, pipman, et al. It’s an ugly and singularly tasteless expression that reflects poorly on those who use it.

And yeah, the same does go for ‘pimped’.”

My vote’s firmly with you, Sheng-ji et al. It’s my least favourite Internet “but it’s just a word and words only ever have meanings and never contexts” expression. ‘Pimped’ comes pretty high up there as well. Since when did something that evil become cool again?

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Point of logic – but where do OED get their new definitions from?

• Jimbo says:

Well I don’t know about you lot but I could murder a pint after that little debate.

• Johnny Lizard says:

I agree with Sheng-ji.

• Vinraith says:

Amen to that, Jimbo.

39. MadTinkerer says:

I have several thoughts in short order:

1) Thank goodness it’s not a Facebook game.

2) Syndicate is a far more appropriate franchise to get the FPS treatment than X-Com. (EDIT: Well far less inappropriate at any rate.)

3) As a giant games publisher this is pretty much what you have to expect from a giant game publisher. And remember it’s not just any giant game publisher, but in fact EA Themselves. Just because Ubisoft is Ubisoft* and Activision is Activision**, that doesn’t make EA any less EA***.

*”Fuck the customers!”

**”Fuck the unsuccessful developers, and fuck the successful ones harder!”

***”Hey it’s been a while since we accidentally killed a game studio, let’s resurrect one of their most beloved franchises to remind everyone about what we’ve done!”

4) It’s not just the Clueless Publisher thing going on here. The way games are currently conceived, pitched, approved, and developed is fundamentally flawed. It’s a systemic problem that EA are trapped in, as evidenced by the fact that every large publisher is doing pretty much the same thing as this when they aren’t churning out multiplatform sequels.

Until the big publishers figure out how to make smaller games that don’t sacrifice sound & graphical quality, they can’t risk all that Big Game money on something that might not Sell Big.

5) EA need to start pitching their older franchises to their EA Satellite developers. This probably the easiest and most likely solution under EA’s current structure. It’s not a perfect long-term solution to the above points, but it would be a huge step in the right direction (e.g. eventually ZERO publisher-owned studios).

• Sheng-ji says:

On the plus side, if they make a bit of money and get a bit of interest in the name, a proper sequel may be on the cards. Does depend on the game being good though!

40. Zarunil says:

Oh COME ON!

If this and X-COM actually turn out any good I will eat my hat with mustard.

• Kadayi says:

Well it depends what you measure of good is tbh. If it not being an isometric perspective game makes it not good, then the odds are stacked against it already. I mean in one of the DX:HR threads there was a guy complaining about it not living up to the original title because you couldn’t pick up the pizza boxes for instance.

• IDtenT says:

The alternative would be tomato sauce instead?

• kongming says:

“Well it depends what you measure of good is tbh. If it not being an isometric perspective game makes it not good, then the odds are stacked against it already.”

Actually, if you’d been following the development of XCOM at all you’d know that the odds are stacked against it because it’s a dumb fucking game being made by dummies.

41. coldvvvave says:

I like how I posted vid of original in a drama thread on forum and everyone ignored it because it contradicted their “THEY ARE RUINING MY CLASSIC STRATEGY” attitude. This game was a perfect candidate for a reboot. It wasn’t a strategy game. It was a top-down shooter with elements of sandbox gameplay and some between-mission tech unlocking. FFS.

• MadTinkerer says:

As I said elsewhere: far less inappropriate to remake as an FPS.

(EDIT: lost track of where this was in the thread. :P )

• coldvvvave says:

There are two threads, two threads of whining by people who didn’t play the original. I’m already feeling an EMPERORS FYUREH rising deep inside me.

42. feda says:

I just threw up in my mouth.

43. Lamellama says:

Syndicate Blah blah FPS blah future blah weak sauce.

44. Soon says:

But do I get to drive/fly a hovercar?

• coldvvvave says:

No, you are going to man a machinegun-plasma cannon and shoot other cars/boss-helicopter. That is the only thing I’m not going to like about that game.

45. voidburn says:

Today, a solid piece of my childhood has just been sentenced to death. There’s no explaining to these people what they’re about to do to a game that inspired me so profoundly. I feel outraged and I need to process this grief in order to better understand why Syndicate meant so much to me, and better remember it for what it WAS. Ye be damned console gamers, ye be damned to eternal FPSing.

• Uthred says:

Not to interrupt your insane and misguided hatred of consoles, but Syndicate was released on consoles back “in the day”. OH NOES! THEYVE BEEN HERE ALL ALONG.

Hehehe, Uthred wins 1 Internet point for knowing what he’s talking about

• Kamos says:

You both lose 1 respect for pretending that being released on console 15 years ago is the same as being released on console today. Back then having a game on two different platforms – say, PC and SEGA Genesis – resulted in two completely different games. Now it results in ports that often don’t even adapt the control scheme.

So yeah, go ahead and gang up on him for pointing out the obvious increase in influence that the console as a platform – and also as a target market – has had on another platform, the PC.

• Uthred says:

Sometimes it resulted in different games, sometimes it resulted in very, very similar games. As was the case with Syndicate, you know, the game were talking about. Also I dont think “CONSOLES ARE WHY ALL WE GET IS FPS’s” is either a reasoned or correct argument. FPS’s sell better than other genre’s on any platforms, videogames are now big business, big business likes to make big profits to keep shareholders happy. Its neither rocket science nor the fault of consoles.

46. ceebux says:

Man it really sucks how when they bring out a new game in an 18 year old series the old one literally disappears from all servers, CDs, floppy disks and hard drives the world over.

Go fire up your Amiga and have a cry. Jesus Christ.

• Prime says:

What’s so wrong in asking for an update to an old game that stays true to the original, may I ask? You wouldn’t buy a 1980s cellphone even though they had some classic models. Just…make the same game, but with newer tech. Elaborate on it,certainly, but retain the spirit of it or you’re simply bastardising the license to make what you would have made anyway. Why is that so offensive to you?

• Kamos says:

The lack of first person shootery and chest high walls offends him.

47. tossrStu says:

I’m with Dan That on this one:

I had Syndicate on the Amiga. Loved it. Definitely looking forward to this.

• Unaco says:

Well said that man.

• c-Row says:

Agreed. People should wait and judge it for the game it is, rather than the game they all want it to be.

• Sheng-ji says:

Hurrah, let’s have some positivity about games for once! I too will wait and hope it is good and judge it on it’s final results. In the meantime, I will allow myself to be a little bit excited, because I am.

• Lars Westergren says:

Yep, put me in the positive crowd. Sounds and looks great so far.

48. Calabi says:

I think you know something is wrong with the mainstream triple AAA development, when they start digging up lots of corpses from the past.

49. Tams80 says:

Saw “4-player co-op FPS”, but found out it was online. Booo!!! Hiss!!!

Only local, local and online mixed, and online will do!