Syndicate Reboot Confirmed As Co-Op FPS?

By Jim Rossignol on September 11th, 2011 at 11:56 am.

X-Com fanbase, I feel your pain.
Syndicate will reportedly be a 4-player co-op FPS, developed by Starbreeze. This thread on NeoGAF has some images and info which are apparently leaked from the Swedish edition of Game Reactor which is out next week. This what we know: “Chip Enhanced Gameplay: Slow down time, see through walls, and breach your enemy and everything digital in the world with Dart vision – A neural DART6 chip implant that allows you to interface directly with the Dataverse,” “4-Player Online Co-op: Assemble your Syndicate for global domination. A 4-player, online co-op experience like no other, with chip enhanced gameplay and 9 missions re-imagined from the original Syndicate,” “Visceral FPS Experience: Utilize an upgradable arsenal of futuristic weapons, armor and gear to annihilate your enemies and harvest their chip technology for personal advancement and sinister corporate greed,” “Sci-Fi Fiction: Immerse yourself in the world of Syndicate 2069, with a world-class sci-fi story experience, written by bestselling author Richard Morgan.”

Men will get shot from a first-person perspective. Yep.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Azhrarn says:

Ok, so while the Syndicate games were certainly shooty games, turning those real-time tactical combat games into an FPS is a terrible idea.

The IP lends itself to it I imagine, but why ruin yet another beloved franchise by turning it into yet another bloody man-shoot, a real-time tactical cyberpunk game would have worked rather well in this day and age I imagine.

Is this coming from the success of the Deus Ex reboot or is it lack of creativity from EA’s part? Either way, I mourn for the loss of so many genres. Any and all strategy sub-genres appear to be dying out, not due to lack of demand but due to design by “market-research comity”. =(

• Cross says:

You’re right, except one thing: This game has been in the works for a long gottam time, so it has nothing to do with the success of Deus Ex HR, if anything, it simply means this gets more attention.

2. 7rigger says:

Not really as maddening as the XCOM FPS, Syndicate always played like an action game and I get the feeling the original’s would have been FPS’s if not for the technology, especially from the intro to Syndicate Wars.

I’m looking forward to this. Never can have too many co-op games. I just wish they weren’t all limited to 4 players

3. Cross says:

“Immerse yourself in the world of Syndicate 2069, with a world-class sci-fi story experience, written by bestselling author Richard Morgan.”

“bestselling author Richard Morgan.”

So they’ve done it again, put up a book writer to write a game. Guess we can be sure the story will be uninteractive, linear and complete bollocks then.

• pipman3000 says:

at least its not that mormon writer who hates the gays and liberals

• Werthead says:

Richard Morgan was also the guy who wrote CRYSIS 2, for what that’s worth. More to the point, he’s also the guy who wrote the excellent novel ALTERED CARBON, which has a distinctively SYNDICATE-like vibe (in terms of the setting, not the plot though). Especially when the guy walks into the rival faction’s base tooled up like a nutcase and goes to town on everyone with a mixture of lasers and machine guns. There’s also a scene in a hotel lobby involving dual miniguns. No personality-rewriting, though.

4. Unaco says:

Hmmmm. I don’t know what to make of this just yet… will have to wait and see what they come up with. Sure, Coop FPS isn’t what “Syndicate” means to me, but I can imagine it possibly working. As long as they keep/maintain certain aspects of the originals… the setting, the ruthlessness, the Dystopian brutality, the atmosphere. DXHR has shown that a modern studio can take a beloved IP and make something equal to that original game… a resurrected franchise is not necessarily going to produce a terrible game in an effort to cash in. Admittedly, DXHR kept the DX playstyle, whereas this is changing the type of game quite significantly (from Real-Time Tactics to Coop FPS), but it could still work.

I think some of the reaction, although expected, is a bit too much though. I think people should maybe drop the talk of ‘raping’ your childhood and the like… there is hardly any equivalence here. At the end, if they make a bad game, that’s what there is… a bad game, with a beloved name. That’s nothing. It’s hardly like your Uncle sitting you on his lap and putting his hand up your shorts… It shouldn’t really be compared the ‘rape’.

• John P says:

No it hasn’t.

• Unaco says:

Yes it has.

• Big Murray says:

DXHR is at least in the same genre as the original. And is a sequel/prequel. This is just taking the name of a well-loved IP and slapping it onto a generic new FPS to get attention.

Imagine if they said they were going to make a new Deus Ex reboot instead of DXHR … Deus Ex stunningly re-imagined in the strategic collectable card game genre.

• Kamos says:

Actually that sounds pretty cool. But it wouldn’t be Deus Ex.

• Sheng-ji says:

DX1 was a FPS with light RPG elements

DX IW gets ignored

DXHR was a third person stealth game with light fps elements

In my opinion

Both were great, top of their genres

• Srethron says:

DX 1 was an RPG with light to medium FPS elements (re: Yachtzee’s review). I agree with you on the rest.

5. Prime says:

It’s an FFS, not FPS.

6. c-Row says:

Maybe I was too young at that time, but Syndicate was hardly a tactical game at all. You just armed your guy(s), walked around and shot every enemy in sight – no tactics needed. This makes far more sense as an FPS than X-Com.

• c-Row says:

How does it not make any sense?

Why should a game series be limited to a single genre only? By that logic, Fallout should have never be translated into a FPS, there should have been no Star Wars role playing games (KotOR) or a Warcraft-themed MMO. Please correct me if I am wrong, but they all scored high ratings and were loved by reviewers and players alike.

• Unaco says:

What of the setting, the atmosphere, the style and the feel of Syndicate? The World of Syndicate? Can a game not carry the name if it conveys these things perfectly?

• c-Row says:

Fallout 3 is still called Fallout. My point still stands.

• fenriz says:

you think it wasn’t tactical only because you haven’t tried american revolt.

• Kamos says:

You have Star Wars hats, Star Wars action figures, Star Wars t-shirts, Star wars toilet seats and anything Star Wars you can imagine. Of course you’d have Star Wars games in all genres, because the main thing is STAR WARS. Fallout and Warcraft are also unique or successful enough settings to justify branching.

How exactly does Syndicate’s generic cyberpunk setting compare to any of the above? It is a game best remembered for its *gameplay*. When people feel nostalgic and talk about it, the last thing they talk about is the setting! Not so with Star Wars, Fallout and Warcraft – enough people apprciate those for something that is not the core gameplay.

If you’re going to ressurect a game best remembered for its gameplay, why is it unreasonable to expect the gameplay to be mantained?

• c-Row says:

“Generic cyberpunk setting”? As opposed to “generic post-apocalyptic setting” and “generic fantasy setting” you mean?

Syndicate’s gameplay was all about researching new equipment, improving your agents, and sending them into a country, armed to their teeth, stealing items, persuading people and shooting other syndicate’s agents, cops and targets marked for assassination – all happening in realtime rather than turn-based and in a “generic cyberpunk setting” presented from an isometric point of view. The way I see it, this reboot shares as many similarities with its predecessors than Fallout 3 did with Fallout 1 + 2.

• Kamos says:

Fallout is NOT a generic post-apocalyptic setting. It IS post-apocalyptic, but there is a whole fucking BIBLE of fallout background. It has tons of easily recognizable elements that are “Fallout-y”. Not to mention some of the craziest, most rabid fans ever seen.

Warcraft might be generic in the sense that it has orcs and elves, but it is also successful. Very, very successful. It has books and stuff other than the games being sold. I have actually had to endure a fan of the setting telling me why it is a more important piece of fiction than Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.

Does Syndicate have that?

7. sinister agent says:

Great, because when I think of being a sinister overlord remotely controlling his obedient cyborgs, I think of four normal humans with free will that I have no control over and who will likely be either massively obsessed screeching nerds who care about nothing but playing in the most boring, efficient way, or ordinary people who can’t shoot for shit and have no idea what they’re doing.

Change is fine, but there’s a point where you’re making something that has so little in common with the original that you’re not making a new spin on it anymore – you’re just calling a table a spade.

8. Daz says:

I’m fine with it being an fps, I just hope they keep the ability to level entire buildings, that was awesome in syndicate (or was it syndicate 2, argh).

• M. Jims says:

As an ordinary person who can’t shoot for shit in computer games, I feel like I’ve let you down.

EDIT: Reply fail, meant to be for previous post.

9. Acosta says:

It’s too bad I respect RPS and Jim enough, because I really would like to start insulting and swearing at this moment.

10. Unrein says:

Jesus… I don’t mind it being an FPS, but this looks like just another plot based linear shooter. Hell, even X-Com has some semblance of management gameplay and non-linearity!

• Unaco says:

You can tell that from 5 screenshots, some box art, and some wordy marketing spiel? Well done you. That’s a talent.

• Unrein says:

“Take on the role of Miles Kilo, Eurocorp’s latest prototype agent, and embark on a brutal action adventure of corruption and revenge.” “…9 missions re-imagined from the original Syndicate.”

Really? You can’t smell it? Not to mention the 1UP article about Starbreeze speaks volumes about the direction they’re going for.

11. Hodge says:

Someone should buy the rights to Apple Records and put out some new Beatles albums – those old overdriven Rickenbackers are sounding way out of date.

12. Olivaw says:

I’m not going to read these comments because I’ve heard people talking about the XCOM game lately and I’ve had my fill of self entitlement over long dead franchises.

But I just want to say: Richard Morgan is writing this? Richard K. Morgan, who wrote Altered Carbon, the best science fiction novel of the last decade, is writing this cyberpunk video game developed by Starbreeze?

Well I was already kind of on board, but that’s soundin’ pretty good to me!

• Cinnamon says:

There are plenty of recent novels that I think are more acclaimed by Science Fiction fans. Altered Carbon actually alienates a lot of Science Fiction readers because it is seen as using graphic sex and violence to sell copies and is a bit slack when it comes to other areas. Didn’t make much of a dent on the Hugo or Nebula awards.

• Robin says:

Didn’t he also wrote Crysis 2 (which was.. well.. shit)?

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Bad decade for SF, really.

• cjlr says:

You don’t read the right things, if that was a bad decade for SF…

edit – that was just novels. Ted Chiang is the best SF short story writer in years if not ever.

• Olivaw says:

Fuck the Hugo and Nebula awards, Altered Carbon was white hot cyber noir excellence.

And yeah, Crysis 2 was kind of a shitshow, and his non-Takeshi Kovacs books haven’t grabbed me at all, but Syndicate as a universe was practically tailor-made for Morgan to do his thing.

I won’t make any real commitments to the quality of the game (though Starbreeze has a good track record) but I am willing to go on record that the story will be pretty good!

• Cinnamon says:

The Hugo award nominations for the past ten years is a pretty good reading list. But I’m not sure that it’s for someone who thinks that cyber is a white hot word in 2011.

• Olivaw says:

Well the important word there was “noir” but I know it must be hard to read from all the way up there on your high horse BUT REGARDLESS there’s been like eight cyberpunk games released this year. ‘Cyber’ is a word that I have heard more in the past seven months than in the past five years combined! Not just from games either, movies too! Shit, Ridley Scott is even making a Blade Runner sequel!

2011 is the cyberest year.

• Cinnamon says:

So you are too white hot, cyber and noir to do anything other than say “fuck you” to the novels selected by the Hugo awards? I’ll stay up here on my high horse rather than join you if it’s all the same to you.

• Cryo says:

I didn’t like Altered Carbon. Like, at all.

• Werthead says:

“Didn’t make much of a dent on the Hugo or Nebula awards.”

Irrelevant. Both awards are predominantly American awards for American writers. Non-American authors basically have to live in America (Gaiman), attend Worldcon regularly (Stross) or be a huge, zeitgeisty bestseller (Rowling, Suzanna Clarke) to stand even a chance of getting nominated for the Hugo.

For example, this year’s Hugo winner, BLACKOUT by Connie Willis, was given to her because she’s written some good books in the past, she’s popular Worldcon guest and people like her. They certainly didn’t give it to her for the book, which was hideously-badly-researched, overwritten guff which required a detailed knowledge of WWII which Willis did not even remotely possess.

“Bad decade? Get out. Stephen Baxter? Vernor Vinge? Charles Stross? Robert J Sawyer? John Scalzi? Jon Courtenay Grimwood? Elizabeth Bear? And Paolo Bacigalupi to cap the decade?”

Robert Sawyer is not a good writer, at all. I wouldn’t say ‘hideously bad’, just ‘mind-shatteringly inept’. Grimwood is good. Scalzi is okay, as MOR space opera goes, but not a patch on the likes of Reynolds or Hamilton. Vinge and Baxter did their best work in the 1990s and produced little of note in the 2000s. Stross is highly variable, but great when he’s on top form. Bear is reasonable. Haven’t read Bacigalupi yet.

“You don’t read the right things, if that was a bad decade for SF…”

It was not a great decade for American SF. Very little of genuine interest or power by an American writer was written or released. The best stuff came from British or Canadian authors, and ALTERED CARBON and BLACK MAN are both right up there with the best novels from the decade, alongside Priest’s THE SEPARATION, Reynolds’ CHASM CITY, maybe a few others (I’m told good things about Watts’ BLINDSIGHT and Harrison’s LIGHT as well).

13. vash47 says:

What a shame.

14. Iskariot says:

Uhmm, is this game online multiplayer only?

I am very interested, but only if it offers a cool single player story and campaign.

• JiminyJickers says:

Same for me, don’t mind so much this being a FPS (not so for XCom). But if it isnt single player then not interested.

Also need the same sort of freeform cities to explore and follow your own method of completing the mission.

15. Prime says:

I’m not so upset about the change to a FPS – with enough talent and clever thinking that may actually work (I’m thinking about Battlezone’s ability to organise units – that worked splendidly. Or even Star Wars: Republic Commando. 4 guys, one player.)

What has irked me, though, is the transition from single-player title to online co-op. Does every-bloody-thing have to be online these days? Gone is the lovely little tactical strategy game of my youth replaced by L4D in Cyberpunk clothing. Bleuch.

16. ninjapirate says:

Meh.

17. Hoaxfish says:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

18. Dakia says:

Damn, I was afraid this was going to happen.

19. Love Albatross says:

With Richard K. Morgan getting involved in games writing, I wonder if he’s been approached to turn the Altered Carbon universe into a game?

I’m by no means a fan of the genre, but the setting would be perfect for an MMO. The various colonies with battling factions and leftover gear from wars, corrupt corporations, the remnants of an alien race, and then there’s the sleeves…saving money and XP to be able to buy a stealth ninja or gecko body, or even renting one out if you can’t afford it. Game devs, get it done.

• Werthead says:

The needlecasting/stack technology would work well as a great game mechanic, certainly, but I think it’d be better more as an RPG, mixing together the detective work Takeshi does with his tendency to ludicrously over-the-top ultraviolence. Though they can probably keep the required two-bad-sex-scenes-per-book offscreen in the game.

I would be impressed to seem them make a game based on THE STEEL REMAINS. Is gaming ready for a fantasy RPG where the main hero is gay?

20. FunkyBadger3 says:

Stick it up your arse.

21. Big Murray says:

Please shoot me.

Co-operatively or not, just shoot me now.

22. Love Albatross says:

Source, for those not aware of the reference.

A fantastic story with a great twist ending.

23. PeopleLikeFrank says:

Ahhh, the headline of this story was enough to give me a hearty LOL. Thanks EA, great start to a Sunday morning.

• PeopleLikeFrank says:

Although, to be slightly more constructive: it seems to me there’s an interesting potential to work with a difference between single player and co-op? Pull the camera out & above for single player (or have one player as a commander-type controlling any empty slots), while having multi-player in the first or third person perspective? There *is* some good potential in “Deus Ex SWAT” as pointed out up-thread, but this would let SP still work with multiple agents in the oldskool way. It would also take too much money and design time to implement, so it won’t happen. Oh wells.

24. fenriz says:

How can Syndicate be FPS if the staple of the old ones is to control different persons based on the items they have(persuadertrons etc) and augmentation?

I hope at least they preserve the most obvious element, total city exploration.

• Big Murray says:

Simple. This is nothing like Syndicate. It has absolutely no relation to Syndicate whatsoever. It’s just using the name.

• Love Albatross says:

It probably started life as new IP and EA forced/allowed Starbreeze to use the Syndicate name to help it sell. Movies do this all the time. I assumed the same thing happened to XCOM.

• fenriz says:

Jesus. Now that i didn’t know.

Wow, kill me now.

Well Paradox, you’re our only hope. For a more sensible work.

We need maturity in games SO BAD. And not the useless type of writing maturity, sex and deep characters’ psychologies, that’s cinema. gameplay design maturity.

25. metalangel says:

The agents should only be able to say ‘SELECTED’.

I’m serious. They’re being controlled remotely, they’re all connected to the big man up in the airship, and to each other, they don’t need to talk.

Instead, we’re going to get:
    -Commander John Fuck: Commander of Omega Team. With a large facial scar he got during the same futuristic Middle East conflict that left him grizzled and disillusioned, he’s the tortured man in charge of the best team in Eurocorp. He carries an assault rifle with an underslung grenade launcher.
    -Aureola Perkytitski: Her exposed midriff and medicine ball-sized breasts have led many a foe to believe her a mere bimbo. That’s before she uses her gauss-sniper rifle to fire a slug through their eye socket at a distance of 10km!!!!!!
    -Tyrone “Stereo” Blackingman: He don’t take no shit, dig? And if’n yall doubt this 250lb slab of solid muscle and attitude is joking, his explosive shell-firing minigun “LaShonda” and remote-detonation plastic explosives will deliver a punchline you won’t live long enough to forget.
    -Maho Sawai: While still in the fucking womb, she used her umbilical cord to access her mother’s CHiP and hacked into the FBI, CIA, MI6 and ATF. Now just turned 18, she’s five whole feet of flat-chested squeaky-voiced spiritual Japanese stereotype. She can break into any computer system, and her silenced SMG ensures nobody ever stops her getting out of the MZ (MISSION ZONE!!!)
    -Case ‘Hardcase’ Kane: Airship-based director of Omega Squad. Their eyes in the sky, having had his arms and legs blown off in a dangerous mission into the megachav ghettos of New Coventry, he floats on his hoverchair providing intel and advice to his team.
    -Quentin Sleazeworthy: Corrupt, backstabbing and profit-obsessed, he’s the ruthless Eurocorp executive in charge of the covert ops division.

26. Nick says:

Cool, another bland sounding shooter.

27. pressstart says:

Why is it 4 players? Why not 3 or 5? I understand the use of 4 players on consoles when they use it for splitscreen or offline play, but if it’s online, why 4?

28. NothingFunny says:

coop(4player!) and story doesnt mix well at all

29. pelham.tovey says:

This isn’t terrible news. Remember, we’re only ever half a dozen Persuadertron shots in the EA boardroom away from turning this into the free-form corporate espionage action game it should be.

• fenriz says:

Oh yes. Free-form. i can almost picture it. From the giant explorable HQ skyscraper of the corp where you can handle dozens of different sectors from research to production to stock exchange, to accessing a global dynamic “total-war”esque scenario that shows every metropolis with on-going objectives becoming available(seizing factories for production, seizing scientists, stealing documents, killing other agents, robbing enemy-owned banks, sabotating production and convoys for stocks to go up, capture and hold power plants to blackmail cities). Then a roster of agents to augment from the bones, to muscles and organs and finally deploy for the mission, consisting in strictly non-violence until a simple, 10seconds fast hit location is reached by travelling through a lively city dipped in a sickly orange sky , either by public transit or cars driven with the one click of the mouse, very indirectly, all very much not accessible, not user-friendly, not goddamn VISCERAL, not for kids.

Here’s to living outside of reality.

• Kamos says:

That sounds like a game I might like.

• JiminyJickers says:

I would also like that game. I so wish game makers would step up complexity such as fenriz describe.

30. Azradesh says:

Oh FFFS!

31. Hodge says:

Five pages of comments in a few hours. If you’re still wondering why they’re wheeling out the Syndicate brand after all these years, there’s your answer. We really do get the games we deserve.

32. Turkey says:

This FPS fatigue — the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.

Why contain it? Let it spill over into the message boards and twitter, let the posts pile up in the forums. In the end, they’ll beg us to save them.

• TheGameSquid says:

So all we need now is for RPS to get hold of one of those canisters of Ambrosia…! And continue paying Page every 48 hours…

33. Vinraith says:

So we’ve moved from a glut of zombie games (games about zombies) to a glut of game zombies (the corpses of game franchises past, reanimated as unrecognizable, brainless monsters, indistinguishable from the rest of the horde). AAA industry trends are fascinating.

34. Jac says:

Pretty sure when they were developing syndicate wars the devs stated they wanted to implement a first person mechanic but the technology wasnt there.

• Sirbolt says:

In conjunction with the top down view, yes. Just like you could possess the monsters in Dungeon Keeper. It’s a far cry from going full blown FPS.

• jalf says:

But that doesn’t necessarily mean it is a good idea. Many good games were spawned from the limitations and constraints (in terms of developer time or hardware capabilities) of the time. Every developer always want to do *everything*. Where games become interesting is in the bits that are left intact after those dreams meet reality. The compromises they made, the features they were willing to cut, and the ones they managed to keep.

In Syndicate’s case, what’s interesting is not the developers’ original intention, but the game they ended up with. It was a great game. The one they originally wanted to make may not have been.

35. Daniel Klein says:

The point. They are missing it.

36. trigger_rant says:

Oh dear.

37. vodka and cookies says:

I don’t get why people keep comparing to Deus Ex 3 when Syndicate and DX3 both ripped off Blade Runner’s visual look by a huge amount.

I would have preferred a third person action game to an FPS one.

EA could keep all the old timers happy by doing a HD remix of the original Syndicate 1/2 and releasing them on Origin or Steam plus it could be some handy PR.

95% of gamers have no clue whatsoever what Syndicate is so I could see why they rebooted it into an FPS.

38. drewski says:

As with the XCOM reboot, I will not really consider this a proper Syndicate game. It’s just a spinoff that happens to use the same license.

Hope it’s a good game though.

39. kuran says:

I thought E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy was very close to being a FPS Syndicate.

40. Binary77 says:

Do you reckon they’ve intentionally made that guy in the likeness of Michael Fassbender? Maybe he’s gonna do the voicework aswell?

Oh & yeah…..THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!

41. Seraph says:

I love Starbreeze.

42. Navagon says:

If there’s one thing worse than yet another generic console FPS it’s yet another generic console FPS that represents the end of all that made its IP what it is.

43. Antsy says:

Reply fail.

44. terry says:

My scepticism is augmented.

45. TheGameSquid says:

How totally not unexpected.

• Turkey says:

Yeah, it’s kinda hard to be upset when you see the slap coming from a million miles away.

Also it’s hard to top the dissapointment of Xcom

46. TsunamiWombat says:

All together now… *inhale*

47. jalf says:

Ok, I have nothing against first-person shooters, and I have nothing against old games being revived as first person shooters (I’ve been pretty upbeat about the XCOM game so far), but it does get a bit silly when **every** revival of an old game is as a FPS game.

Announcing this now, after XCOM really just feels like a sad “me too” thing.

48. rawrty says:

This got way more interesting for me once they said Richard Morgan is writing the story line. I rather enjoyed his Takeshi Kovac novels and thought Th1rt3en was a decent enough cyberpunk novel about augmented soldiers. I was disappointed to see him turning to the fantasy genre in his most recent stuff. It’s good to see him working in the cyberpunk genre again even if it is for a game.

• kupocake says:

‘Bestselling Author Richard Morgan’ sounds so much more palatable than ‘Lead Writer of Crysis 2 Richard Morgan’, doesn’t it? I wonder how many different ways we can be flung through level transitions in this one?

• Cahir says:

terrible

• TheGameSquid says:

Personally, whenever I see Morgan’s name on a cover of a movie(?)/game/book I’m inclined to run away and duck behind the nearest rock-like structure.

• Werthead says:

THE STEEL REMAINS was not a great book, though it had its moments. Happily, the sequel THE COLD COMMANDS is far superior, most notably for making it much more explicit that the world is actually a very far-future SF setting (and possibly set in the Kovacs universe) and calming down about the having-a-gay-hero-aren’t-I-daring angle.

Comment on this story