Syndicate Reboot Confirmed As Co-Op FPS?

By Jim Rossignol on September 11th, 2011 at 11:56 am.

X-Com fanbase, I feel your pain.
Syndicate will reportedly be a 4-player co-op FPS, developed by Starbreeze. This thread on NeoGAF has some images and info which are apparently leaked from the Swedish edition of Game Reactor which is out next week. This what we know: “Chip Enhanced Gameplay: Slow down time, see through walls, and breach your enemy and everything digital in the world with Dart vision – A neural DART6 chip implant that allows you to interface directly with the Dataverse,” “4-Player Online Co-op: Assemble your Syndicate for global domination. A 4-player, online co-op experience like no other, with chip enhanced gameplay and 9 missions re-imagined from the original Syndicate,” “Visceral FPS Experience: Utilize an upgradable arsenal of futuristic weapons, armor and gear to annihilate your enemies and harvest their chip technology for personal advancement and sinister corporate greed,” “Sci-Fi Fiction: Immerse yourself in the world of Syndicate 2069, with a world-class sci-fi story experience, written by bestselling author Richard Morgan.”

Men will get shot from a first-person perspective. Yep.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Eddy9000 says:

I just don’t know why they’ve abandoned the flourishing and lucrative isometric squad based shooter scene, and chosen the aging first person perspective, last popular on the amiga in the early 1990′s. I mean who still plays first person games anymore? By making this decision they’ve clearly abandoned current PC gaming trends; deciding instead to produce a game based on the minority market of gamers old enough to be nostalgic about times when the technical limitations of the PC foced developers to use the unrealistic first person perpective, rather than making a game using modern eye-shattering isometric bit-maps and the immersion this allows.

Wait…what?

2. pupsikaso says:

Why?

3. Davie says:

Hoooooooo boy.

Next week: Toady has been bought by Activision, and Dwarf Fortress II will be a shooter.

4. metalangel says:

@Renfield: I’m very flattered to be compared to the very high standard that is Quinns. Certainly I have the bastard to blame for my love of WURM and M&B: WFAS.

If you want to read more of my shit, I have a Deadjournal (gasps from the back of the room – I’ve been told it should be upgraded to WordPress/Tumblr/Blogspot yes yes yes I know) you can enjoy… though given it was used as an actual dull journal of my dull life if you want to enjoy the game-relevant stuff you can start reading my Fallout 3 diaries on this link:

5. Pathetic Phallacy says:

Hey, it worked for Starcraft Ghost and Command and Conquer Renegade! They were awesome!!!!!!

6. Darko Drako says:

FPS FFS

7. Laephis says:

Can’t wait to see what EA does to Ultima when they finally get around to “resurrecting” that series.

8. Cahir says:

I can’t wait to see what EA does to Ultima when they decide to finally “resurrect” that series.

9. matrices says:

How much of the Starbreeze team is still around from the Riddick days? Because this game could be amazing, regardless of the source material and adaptation characteristics.

10. Cahir says:

Nice

11. Grape Flavor says:

On the one hand I think it is a shame that every reboot of an old game has to be an FPS, as I enjoy other types of games as well. And I can see how it disappoints fans of the originals who were hoping for a modern version of what they loved so long ago.

On the other hand I think it is quite juvenile and ridiculous to passionately hate upon what could be promising and perhaps even innovative FPS games, just because they happen to have taken their respective franchises into a different genre.

So yeah.

• Nick says:

With innovative features like slowing down time, how could anyone be skeptical?

• Subject 706 says:

True, in a way, but since we can be about 99% certain it will NOT be innovative, cynicism and whining is quite understandable.

12. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Jesus. I mean I love coop FPS. Just why do they have to do this to make one?

I was going to ask “Ok now how do I have to write to to ask them to stop” but then I realised this sort of behaviour is common, and considered completely socially acceptable. And by “behaviour” I mean finding something good from The Good Old Days then making a remake with the soul and guts ripped out for money.

I mean look at Transformers! This is the world we live in now.

It’s so, so odd though that games like DX:HR can exist though. I’m still shocked at it’s goodness.

13. Shiny says:

OK, bring on the Star Control FPS, the Populous FPS, the Nethack FPS, the Dungeon Keeper FPS, the Dune FPS, the Alex Kidd FPS, the Warlords FPS, and the Darklands FPS. Then my last emotional ties to gaming can be completely severed.

I’d list Might and Magic and Warhammer, but, you know…

14. DOLBYdigital says:

I see what EA is doing here… They are just going to release ‘reboots’ of all the classics made more accessible for better sales (whether that’s a good idea or not) and force all the hardcore PC gamers to use Origin. Interesting move if that is what their plan is that may work if they stick to it :)

15. Atrak says:

I’m sad, I really would love to see a HD version of syndicate, however if Paradox is going to make its own syndicate-esque game I am fine with an FPS however it will need at least a couple of things.

1. I want to see the persuadeatron in this game, they better not leave it out or make it lame! like it knocks someone out for a minute or whatever. I want to see armies of ‘zombied’ citizens following me picking up stray weapons.

and

2, I want to hear that voice when i choose my weapon.. Uzi.. Minigun..etc..

sorry if someone mentioned these already theres 7 pages of comments and well I am lazy.

16. deadly.by.design says:

Considering there were slim chances of it ever coming back in its traditional form, I’ll keep an eye on this.

17. coldvvvave says:

Except Syndicate was not a strategy game at all.

But don’t let facts stop your whining.

18. Branthog says:

I just suddenly lost interest.

I’m a grown ass man. I don’t have play dates. Just who the hell am I going to “co-op” with?

19. Balerion says:

At first I didn’t know what to think about this… then I imagined something like Deus Ex meets Left 4 Dead… and after that I realized I’m going to regret that
    oh well, one can dream

20. shagen454 says:

Fail. Isometric or the game never existed.

21. neolith says:

@coldvvvave:

Managing finances, the squad, weapons, upgades to augumentations, planning your next moves on the worldmap, waiting for the right moment to use drugs and using civillians to win a level where you were hopelessly outnumbered and outgunned – yep, you are right, no strategy at all in Syndicate.