Ford Be With You: SW:TOR Smuggler Video

By Adam Smith on September 12th, 2011 at 2:40 pm.

this is the profession you're looking for

Star Wars: Galaxies had a brilliant idea at its core; to let people live in the Star Wars world without letting them all be Jedi from the moment they register. You had to earn the right because it doesn’t make sense for every single person to be a member of an exclusive and rare sect. In Star Wars: The Old Republic, I have no desire to be a Jedi at all. I want to be a smuggler and Bioware have released a new trailer to show exactly why.

Ha ha. MMORPG combat looks so funny and rubbish. Did you see the bit where the armoured bounty hunter chap is repeatedly waving a weapon at a monster to no effect? There’s not even a vague attempt to show impact or reaction. It’s like a crap dance with an unnecessary prop and an unwilling partner.

That aside, this is definitely the class for me. Always outnumbered, never outgunned, these scoundrelous gunslingers even dress well, with their dusters and wide-brimmed hats. The term ‘roguish charm’ was invented to describe Harrison Ford in both Indiana Jones and Star Wars. And the nod to Indy in the trailer actually left me feeling pleased even after all the silly looking fighting.

I’ve always thought that people who want to be Jedis are wrong in the head. Yes, yes, lightsabers are awesome because they’re swords made of light that go VWOOM. I know. I understand. But right the way through the Star Wars films that matter, Han Solo is right there. Not only is he far more charismatic than earnest farmboy Luke, he’s also managed to survive the darker corners of that galaxy far far away without any mystical mumbo jumbo. He’s just got a battered old ship, an archaic looking blaster, his wits and his guts.

A smuggler I will be.

, , , .

1. pupsikaso says:

I wish this game would already die. Yeah I know it’s not even released yet.

2. roethle says:

Like the nod to Indiana Jones when he shoots the Jedi.

• Njordsk says:

You stole my sentence, give it back !

edit : Ah, didn’t see the title pun

• db1331 says:

Did you know the smuggler was actually very sick when that seen was filmed, and he just improvised by shooting his blaster instead of going through the extensive choreographed fight the director originally planned? They liked his improvisation so much they just kept it in the final release.

• Hoaxfish says:

Unfortunately it completely kicks the concept that jedi can easily deflect blaster fire right in the balls.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

• WPUN says:

Trope-tastic!

3. Sheng-ji says:

Stupid post, please delete

4. catmorbid says:

The trailer was funny. But the quality of the animations was not. You’d think with all those bucketloads of money they have piled for this game, forcing them to hastily pull through crap like DA2, the game would at least look decent.

• Snidesworth says:

The greatest trick MMOs ever pulled off was convincing people that it was alright for them to look crap in motion. I know that everyone expects combat to look floaty and and shambolic in these games, but should we put up with it?

• westyfield says:

The scene when he pushes the gun through his own arm was particularly impressive.

• Premium User Badge Chaz says:

You won’t be looking at the animations when playing the game anyway, all you’ll be watching is a bunch of little boxes with timers on them.

5. Psychopomp says:

I remember being excited about this.

6. Njordsk says:

Looks like virtual poo TBH.

NOTHING I’m excited about in what I just saw.

7. TillEulenspiegel says:

I’m vaguely looking forward to trying it out when it goes F2P in a year’s time.

But as far as I can tell, the smuggler isn’t really a smuggler in any meaningful way. It’s just a skin over the stock ranged DPS class.

I can get a better smuggly experience by firing up Privateer and doing some gun-running.

• Crimsoneer says:

This isn’t going F2P anytime soon. EA have supposedly sunk 500 million dollars into it…even with WoW like subscriber numbers, they need awhile to recoup that.

Also, I think it looks great. So ha.

• Askeladd says:

500 million USD ? What?
      Source?

How many people have preordered this? 10 million?
      10 million * 50 USD / €

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Depending on a few variables, F2P has proven the more profitable model for most MMOs.

Unless their subscriber numbers are absolutely massive a few months in, I think they’ll switch over fairly quickly.

• Crimsoneer says:

USD

Quick google search:

I’m rather sceptical about it too, but the fact remains, if EA want to recoup the cash they threw at this, they’re going to need a lot of subs for at least a year, if not more. Of course, EA have also stated they only need 500k subscribers to turn a profit, so who the hell knows. Just, worth saying, I don’t see this going F2P.

• Askeladd says:

It’s a lil bit shocking that they wasted so much money on a game I know I won’t play very long or not at all.
      Its like they say they develop a Ultramarines Hello Kitty Online MMORPGFPS with Deus Ex stealth action, I wouldn’t actually want to play tha.. wait disregard what I just said.

• Orija says:

I think this may very well apply to big budget video games too.
      “Instead, the film was screened as close to its release date as possible, ensuring that by the time the reviews (good or bad) appeared, the film was available for viewing by paying punters eager to see what all the fuss was about. And, as planned, many (if not most) of those reviews referred at some point to the whopping budget, about which the publicists had been priming us all since pre-production. However scathing a particular review may have been, the reader (or listener, or viewer) would come away having been reminded that Pearl Harbor cost a vast amount of money, and understanding that, for the price of a ticket, he or she could see where all that money had gone. Rather than the stars, the money was the story. And in today’s marketplace, that’s a story which almost always has a happy ending.”

Also, do you guys seriously believe that this game can have twice the budget of Avatar?

• Shuck says:

@ Orija: (Not quite) twice Avatar’s production budget? Quite possibly. I’d buy it for an MMO like this if we include marketing costs (which presumably the $500M figure does), which would make the film and game about the same total cost.
      MMOs are expensive to begin with, but SWTOR is going to be far and away the most expensive ever made. SWTOR started with MMO middleware which didn’t work out for them, so after spending money on that, they then had to rebuild the engine, which likely ended up being more expensive than simply building their own engine from the start. They have a huge amount of voice acting, motion-capture, characters, environment, etc. That everything is “low-fi” compared to Avatar is more than counter-balanced by the fact that they need 100x more material in every respect. If we look at what WoW cost to make, and given that its production time was shorter than SWTOR and didn’t have the voice acting etc., then the supposed huge budget seems very possible.

• Freeammo says:

Oh for god’s sake. If you’re going to make up facts, at least make them realistic. Actual amount spent is around $80 million. Which will (almost) have been recouped in preorder sales already.

This compares to Battlefield 3′s marketing budget ALONE being $100 million.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Since when is Michael Pachter more factual than random internet rumours?

• Jimbo says:

$80M and $500M… First seems optimistic, second seems stupidly high. I figure (guess) they’ll be somewhere in the $150-200M range, by the time you include development, infrastructure and advertising.

However far they are in the hole by the time the game hits shelves, I don’t see them recouping it with game sales any time soon. Which is why they’re gonna need more than their 350-500k subscribers. That’s the figure they’re saying will cover their operating costs, NOT recoup their development costs (which obviously would require x subs for y months).

How Pachter describes it, they’ve basically structured their finances so that the development cost isn’t taken into account… which is one way to go about it I suppose. So when they say 500k subs is ‘profitable’, they really mean ‘profitable if we pretend we didn’t spend anything developing the game’. Pachter’s ‘$60m operating profit from 2 million disc sales’ effectively has the same caveat.

• woodsey says:

“500 million dollars”

That number goes up by 10 million every time someone pulls it out of their bum hole.

8. aircool says:

Yup, it’s just one man and his dog against the galaxy. Although it is kinda funny that a criminal should be a good guy… after all, they probably spend most of their time trafficking weapons, teenage twilek girls and space cocaine.

• Masked Dave says:

Indeed, they should’ve just called it the “Han Solo” class and been done with it.

• Askeladd says:

Why are even so many smugglers fighting for them?
      Smugglers fighting for the authority isnt really a smuggler anymore. I’m right, aren’t I?

• baconismidog says:

umm, space cocaine is called “spice” so that the kids don’t know it’s space cocaine! Jesus dude, next thing you’ll be letting the whole Santa secret out of the bag…

• Hoaxfish says:

Free Wookie with every smuggler

9. Xizor says:

Releasing stuff like this.. it is almost as if they just want to run it into the ground and be done with it. I do want to try it out, I do hope it will be great.. but it just looks straight up terrible.

10. mjig says:

I keep getting less and less excited for TOR as time goes on. My excitement level hit zero 4 or 5 trailers ago. It’s started dipping into the negatives.

• kingcanute says:

I felt very pessimistic too. It was looking worse the more exposure I got. Then I played the beta. It is amazing. Do not worry. This is the best MMORPG ever made.

• shitflap says:

I wanna make a joke about the irony of your username, denying the inevitable tides, etc., but I’m just not funny enough sadly…

• Kaiji says:

@kingcanute

I’m in the beta and it’s far from the best MMO ever made.

It tries (and fails) to be as good as WoW (which I quit ages ago), and just adds tons of cutscenes and voiceovers that get extremely boring and intrusive extremely quickly.

The animations are subpar and the world has an incredibly dull, lacking in atmosphere feel.

Not saying you aren’t entitled to your opinion, but you must be very easily impressed.

• Alceste007 says:

@ Kaiji
      i was not very excited before my guild got beta invites. However, I was very impressed when I actually got to play the Beta. I still prefer a realistic style of animations and graphics (ala AoC), but SWToR was a lot of fun. I went ahead and preordered with everybody else after trying the Beta. Still bound by the NDA otherwise, it would be nice to compare notes.

• kingcanute says:

Bravo, @shitflap, few people catch the reference.

@Kaiji, perhaps it’s just a segmentation thing – maybe we want different things from an MMO.

We’re all walking near the line on the NDA, but @Alceste007 captures my response well. Let’s compare notes when it comes out. I will say that the DOOM! from people who’ve never played it is frustrating.

• shitflap says:

Why thank you, your highness :)

• Betamax says:

@Kingcanute: Nice to hear from some more level headed people, I have heard similar things from other beta players I’ve spoken too. Certainly from enough people to make me shake my head at the doom sayers. *shrugs* I can’t give a proper opinion yet either, I’ve not played it yet (if not the beta I’ll get my chance at Eurogamer), but the amount of people who trash the game without giving it a chance makes me sad. It might not be a true KotOR 3, or the savior of the MMO, but there seems like a lot of potential in there – and certainly some improvements compared to previous, similar, MMOs.

I mean, I’m not sure those who were initially excited about the game were expecting? KotOR was never about revolutionary game mechanics. And I swear people were more optimistic about LotRO when that was doing something similar on a smaller scale a way back.

11. Masked Dave says:

God you guys are a bunch of miseries, that was an awesome trailer. Basically saying, “Come on, you always wanted to be Han Solo really, didn’t you? And look at my nice hat!”

Very fun, one of the few classes I’ve seen where the combat looked engaging rather than stilted and definitely makes me wish they weren’t doing a bloody subscription model. I want to play this game so badly.

• Juan Carlo says:

How can anyone still want to be Han Solo after 30+ years of special editions, prequels, spin-off novels, and scores of video games where you could, literally, be Han Solo or someone very Han Solo-like? Shouldn’t the question instead be why does anyone want to be Han Solo for the thousandth time?

I was the biggest star wars fan as a child, but I honestly don’t see how anyone can get excited by anything star wars related anymore. It’s been done to death. All of those neurons and synapses in my brain that were once excited by it are worn out. I couldn’t be excited by this even if I wanted to be.

Plus, I’m still kind of pissed off by TOR’s “no buttsecks allowed” policy, but the Star Wars universe has always been one of the most politically and sexually neutered, boring, and reactionary fantasy universes around. Which isn’t to say that the bare content isn’t there (it sympathizes with terrorists, for Christ’s sake, which is pretty goddammed subversive if you think about it), but Lucas seems dead set on sucking everything that’s interesting about the universe out. Or sanitizing it. But this topic has been done to death, and quite frankly I find that I no longer even care enough about Star Wars to hate George Lucas anymore.

• RakeShark says:

I’m sorry, I must have missed the 30+ years of Star Wars games that let me be Han Solo. The only one that even comes close to the Han Solo fantasy was Shadows of the Empire on the N64. Before that, it was just platforming and Contra-style pew-pew. Sid Meier’s Pirates! is closer to the Han Solo fantasy than any LucasArts game made.

Meanwhile the last decade has been gushing with “U JEDI PRESS A TO SWING LITESABERZ!”.

A lot of us hold onto the Han Solo fantasy because it’s the one thing Lucas hasn’t completely screwed up, other than the “Han Shot First” debacle. Plus Han gets the girl. Jedis kiss their sisters.

12. Doth Messar says:

“You had to earn the right because it doesn’t make sense for every single person to be a member of an exclusive and rare sect.”

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Lucas Arts just wants the 13 year old money.

13. Crimsoneer says:

It’s weird how this, and A Valley Without Wind, have managed to around the humoungous ire of RPS.

14. Teddy Leach says:

I’ve got the funny feeling they’re not going to make their money back on this.

• Askeladd says:

Oh they will :) Preorders will save them. If its really so bad.

BTW: Saw you playing Space Marine :P

• westyfield says:

Yeah, plus together Bioware, Lucasarts and EA are richer than Richard R. Richardson, CEO of Everything Inc.

15. bill says:

You’re right it looks much better than the dull jedi classes. I liked that it seemed to have some humour (even if 2 of the 3 comedy moments were ripped from Indy and New Hope).

I like the way i have the choice to upgrade to the scoundrel (who shoots people with pistols) or the gunslinger (who shoots people with pistols). No wait… but the first paragraph wasn’t sarcastic!

Considering that starwars is famous for having the most innacurate blasters and innacurate troopers in the universe, couldn’t they at least have the blasters miss when the to hit roll fails?

• Askeladd says:

Well that would seem odd too, because in most of those videos they stand still at point blank range.
      Missing from there would look…even more stupid?

16. Zarunil says:

SW:TOR has yet failed to excite me, but I’ll try it out eventually. I wish the graphics and animations were better. Can’t stand the cartoony look.

• kingcanute says:

Looks better when playing. For a mass-market MMORPG, the graphics are very nice.

17. Torgen says:

Isn’t it the smuggler class that one of the Hivemind played at a press release and said was broken rubbish in pvp? Something about being a fragile sniper class where most areas didn’t have cover, and people would just flank your portable shield?

18. TheFlyingWooly says:

The animations make me think of the sims.

19. daraujo says:

Does anybody else feels those blaster pistols firing like fucking miniguns look kinda wrong?
    Feels like a shoot em up spaceship upgrade.

20. DoctorBrain says:

THAT’S A STUPID HAT.

Not sure why anybody thought cartoon cowboys needed to be added to Star Wars…

21. Kaiji says:

Can’t wait for this obnoxious WoW clone designed to vaguely impress easily pleased 13 year olds to fail.

Big ugly stain on PC gaming. Blech.

22. DigitalSignalX says:

(0:36) He shot first! Bad manner.

23. Dominic White says:

Very nice, Bioware – you’ve proven that you can make fake TOR trailers in The Movies ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rmnInbfnVA ), well done!

Oh, wait. That was a real trailer?

Ha.

Hahaha.

Aaahahahahhhahaaa… Oh dear. It seems that every time they show off this game, it looks a little worse. Just to remind folks, this is supposed to be the biggest-budget MMORPG ever. EVER. And this is what they’re showing off as promotional material.

• LionsPhil says:

I think The Movies’ output actually has weightier and less stiff character animation, with fewer hideous clipping errors.

Good lord, that bit where a wookie runs up and punches someone. That would have looked iffy ten years ago.

• Kaiji says:

Exactly.

I honestly can’t fathom why almost everyone’s going berzerk with excitement in the Youtube comments for this video when it looks so bad.

Cognitive dissonance??

24. LionsPhil says:

What on Earth is the point of cloaking to approach someone from behind?

• Premium User Badge Daiv says:

Indeed. Aha, I am invisible, so I shall stand in your blind spot!

Also, if I had a cloaking device, I would approach from the front and biff in the face.

• Khory says:

I’m guessing that it’s a game mechanic, like a rogue in WoW needs to stealth to perform certain attacks.

25. Zepp says:

So at lvl 1 you shoot people with blasters, then you lvl up, upgrade and shoot people with blasters. How different blaster models can be? :D

• Jimbo says:

To be fair, he does get a different coloured jacket along the way too.

26. Chris D says:

I don’t think it looks terrible, I think it looks ok, but ok isn’t going to be good enough to get me to hand over a monthly subscription fee.

They’ve gone for a cartoony aesthetic, possibly to appeal to clone wars fans, but I don’t think that’s a good fit. It works if you just want a bit of knockaround fun but not for a character you’re going to invest in over a long period of time.

The other major problem is that it’s just a bit too late. Last year they’d probably have got away with being World of Starwars but it’s not just competing against WoW any more it’s got to go up against the likes of Guildwars 2 and Secret World which are bringing in some genuinely fresh ideas, and even Rifts is trying to shake things up a bit. Nearly all the other MMO’s of the current generation are going free to play if they haven’t already done so already, and TOR looks like it’s going to fall between both positions.

I’d probably pick it up if it was a single-player RPG, as I said, it looks ok, just not more than that.

27. Khory says:

I had a chance to play this a little bit at Pax Prime. It looks better and more fluid somehow in person. I wonder how old some of the clips they used are.

This game looks fun. I think that they have chosen to go in a direction similar to WoW with the art and keep the game’s hardware requirements low in order to be able to reach a wider audience. That’s not a big deal to me.

Visuals aren’t the main draw in MMOs I don’t think. Gameplay and Social interaction are. WoW got a lot of those things right and SWTOR borrows many of those, which isn’t a bad thing. What will decide if this title lives or dies is if the story elements, voice acting, and other additions BW is making to that formula are a hit with players. We won’t know until release.

28. TheCheese33 says:

Why are you people throwing temper tantrums about the game? It looks awesome! Can’t wait to get my hands on it.

• Dominic White says:

Tell me one thing that looks above average in that trailer, because I’m not seeing it. Most of the positive comments on the game are along the lines of ‘It’s just awesome, shut up!’, without actually being able to highlight any particularly interesting or redeeming feature.

• TheCheese33 says:

The combat? The staggering amount of choices? The raving we’ve heard from beta testers? I fail to see what is bad, other than grumpy old men who think that it looks too “cartoonish”, the same way people threw a fit when Diablo III was supposedly too “light” or “cheery”.

• Khory says:

I don’t think the trailer does a good job at pointing out the strengths of this game. The innovation BW seems to talking up are the focus on story, full voice and some of the mechanics they are introducing. The things you see in the trailer, like combat etc. are all pretty standard fare. Not the best marketing decisions in my opinion.

I also don’t think all of the footage is all that recent. Not a smart for a promotional piece but I have read that they used dated or lowres footage in some of the other videos.

I’ll play the game before deciding if it is worthy or not.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Grumpy old men are the future.

• DrSlek says:

The combat looks bland, the choices are standard Bioware dialogue wheel fare, and the raving more often than not seems to be coming from Bioware & Star Wars fanboys rather than unbiassed testers.

29. Khory says:

I don’t agree with that assessment:

This may have made sense from a realism perspective in SWG because it was set during the movie timeline but SWTOR is set in a time when there were many more Jedi.

Realism doesn’t always make a game fun. That still is the point of a game right?

And the “earning the right” mechanics made the game unfun if you wanted to be a jedi. The ridiculous grinding and other hoops you had to jump through weren’t fun. You didn’t really “earn” anything because it was arbitrary and tedious. How did mastering Musician have anything to do with being a jedi?? When/if you get a Jedi the payoff was more hassle than it was worth. You had to become a hermit/outcast to keep from getting perma-dead (or lose skills after the change). Jedi weren’t even that tough to kill. The attempts to recreate realism killed the fun.

• Dawngreeter says:

I agree with above. Also, I can’t for the life of me figure out why anyone would be interested in Star Wars if the Jedi aren’t their thing. Star Wars is about the Jedi and their magical kung-fu.

More importantly, I can’t think of a single thing you’d be able to do with a Han Solo-like character that wouldn’t be better in a world without Jedi.

30. Synesthesia says:

oh my god the animations. What monster directed that?

31. Iskariot says:

O boy, oh boy, does this game look outdated. It is hard to believe how crappy the visuals and mega-ultra crappy the animations look.

• Zyrusticae says:

I have to say, the animations are so incredibly bad that it almost enters the realm of “so-bad-it’s-good”.

Wait, what am I saying? It IS funny! Hundreds of millions of dollars and this is the best they could manage?! Who’s in charge of this project?!

32. Sorbicol says:

That…………………. just looked terrible.

33. Arglebargle says:

The cover mechanic is just awful. Absolutely going to be the number one archetype I Would Not Play. Though the male bounty hunter’s wolverine wannabee voice puts that in close 2nd.

34. Space-Pope says:

I am (or was; it ended yesterday/today) in the beta for this game, and I can tell you one thing: Unless you really, *really* want to play WoW from circa 2006 all over again, I suggest holding off on this game. It just feels dated, old, and decidedly unfun.

What annoyed me most was their touted conversations. The conversation system is half of the Mass Effect wheel (never saw more than three conversation options) with choices that don’t seem to affect the outcome on the turn of events. It felt unnecessary to have your standard two paragraph quest description be entirely voice-acted and interspersed with “Nice” “Neutral” and “Asshole” conversation options.

Between this and DA2, I think Bioware’s jumped the shark, and this comes as someone who loved Baldur’s Gate and DA:O.

35. TonyB says:

Yes, finally someone else understands. Mr. Smith, I salute you. Then I’ll shoot you before you have a chance to do the same to me.

36. BeamSplashX says:

Smuggler? Give me SOLDNER!

37. Premium User Badge Carra says:

Star wars 7-9 definitely should have hats.