Roll With It: Rock Of Ages Is Out Now

By John Walker on September 12th, 2011 at 2:54 pm.

Inclusion of a dragon automatically generates an extra 10 RPS points.

ACE Team’s bonkers rock-rolling action game, Rock Of Ages, is out now. You can buy it! Even play it! Do you want to? Well, a helpful route to such knowledge comes by reading Jim’s verdict on the game. It’s available via Steam, and only costs a weeny £7.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. magnus says:

It’s very silly and an awfull lot of fun too.

2. piphil says:

Agreeably silly, a mix of Marble Madness, Katamari Damacy, tower defence and Monty Python. A must-buy in my opinion, and I haven’t tried the multiplayer yet.

3. Porkolt says:

But this game was out even before you guys posted the review.

Yes, on PC.

Or was there more shitty regional release spacing?

4. CMaster says:

“Inclusion of a dragon automatically generates an extra 10 RPS points.”

Does that mean that Skyrim gets INFINITE RPS points?

5. GenBanks says:

If you like your history jokes/references then it’s worth it for that alone imo… The gameplay’s fun too.

More people should buy it!

6. MuscleHorse says:

It’s been out since around Wednesday/Thursday and, yes, in the UK. Bit late with this chaps.

7. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Has been out for a while, but the major question is – can you still unlock the trollface boulder?

8. Flukie says:

I enjoyed this game, but I don’t really have much of a reason to go back to it. Kinda feel like it should of been £5 really, I guess I’ll see how they update it.

Its nice to have something unique I guess.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Kinda feel like it should of been £5 really…

… it’s £7.

9. RogB says:

is it only me that gets Robbie Williams ‘let me entertain you’ stuck in my head every time this game is mentioned? (for the rest of the day)
    I dont even like it..

10. Joe Duck says:

I have played a little it and found it very fun. The humour is funny and the art is very interesting.
    Gameplay wise, I am getting better at rolling the boulder, but I still do not know very well how to setup a good defensive position. I very much intend to try multiplayer where I will probably get destroyed.
    Good game!

11. terry says:

Er, it’s been out for AGES.

12. ikinone says:

Not available in your region.

I don’t understand, why is it so hard for publishers to make games available globally?

Oh well, torrent time I guess.

13. PleasingFungus says:

Augh, that dragon.

Rock Of Ages is pretty fun, but its boss fights are just another fine argument for “Why Video Games Should Stop Including Boss Fights, Already, It’s Not 1990 For Heaven’s Sake.” Their sole virtue is to make you grateful when you return to the game proper.

• Zyrocz says:

Shadow of the Colossus

• Calabi says:

Yeah, its a gaming trope that needs to die. But I guess its because they dont know what to do.

Here’s an idea What if you become the dragon?

• Dominic White says:

For anyone who dares say boss fights are rubbish, you need to shut up, get a Megadrive emulator, and play Alien Soldier right this instant.

Badly designed bosses are pants, yes, but a well-designed one can be the high point of a game. Or, in Alien Soldier’s case, an entire mountain range of high points with nary a plateau or valley to be seen between them.

• Juan Carlo says:

Some genres need boss fights more than others.

A stealth game like Deus ex? No.

A giant rolling boulder game? No.

SHMUPs? Yes.

Turn Based tactical RPGs? Yes.

14. Shadrach says:

I suspect it will not sell well… but the world needs more of this kind of game, so I’ll bite.

• simonh says:

Actually, it’s on Steam’s top 20 Top Sellers, which should mean great profits for such a small team.

• Juan Carlo says:

It’s been in the top 20, but I don’t think it’s ever broken the top 10.

Of course, it’s hard to tell what “top 10″ means at all on steam given that they never release sales numbers.

15. Lambchops says:

It’s fairly enjoyable from what I’ve played so far, to my eyes a bit of a triumph of style over substance, but that’s OK sometimes particularly when they style is . . . well . . . rather stylish. Worth the money.

16. Visualante says:

I suspect it hasn’t done as well as Zeno Clash just comparing the online buzz from then and now.
    Game’s fun but not very good. On the former you have the nonchalant art and design but then on the latter you have an unbalanced game that heavily favours a couple of strategies.

I’d hope that the multiplayer will level the playing field and evolve into some sort of metagame like Starcraft 2… but I doubt it will.