‘Snot Green: Repaint Your Space Marine

By Alec Meer on September 12th, 2011 at 10:09 am.

Red vs blue? Red wins.

Ticked off that you’re stuck in the boring blue power-armour of a boring blue Ultramarine in Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine‘s singleplayer campaign? While you can’t stop Captain Titus from banging on about his Chapter, thanks to one modder’s hard work you can now make him look like he belongs to another, less vanilla entry in the Codex Astartes. Newly added to the mod, at last, are helmets – so you can look like a proper Space Marine, not the 40K equivalent of that bloody Stallone Judge Dredd movie.

Grab the skin/chapter/head redesign of your choice from here – or indeed skins, as you can have as many installed as you like, each Chapter having its own launch shortcut. See each mod’s readme file for installation details and whatnot. By default, the mods are designed for the demo, but just remove the word ‘demo’ and in the file properties/path of the new shortcut and it’ll work with the full game too.

However, multiplayer appears to be deactivated while the mod is running. Which isn’t much of a problem, given you’re running it to play singleplayer, right?

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to be a Dark Angel. I love a bit of dark green, me.

, , .

1. Gundrea says:

There’s even an Angry Marines pack.

• varangian says:

>But how long before there’s an Alpha Legion pack? Their battlecry is “For the Emperor!” after all.

Wouldn’t have thought so as the Alpha Legion joined Chaos during the Horus Heresy. I think the Inquisiton needs to take a look at this Gundrea chappie, whiff of heretic about this one.

• Jazz42 says:

Or did they?
      OR DID THEY?

Next you’ll be claiming that Lion El’Johnson wasn’t a traitor.
      tch tch.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Varangian: Yes, and? That’s the Alpha Legion for you.

Whether you believe the ‘never truly went over to Chaos’ story or just the ‘like to spread chaos and confusion within enemy ranks’ bit, either way it works.

• Gundrea says:

A heretic accuses. The righteous judge.

• Kilrathi says:

Oh, I thought their battlecry was “Forever young!”

• Sheng-ji says:

“Next you’ll be claiming that Lion El’Johnson wasn’t a traitor”

That sounds like Space Wolf nonsense to me

• Syra says:

Alpha Legion? What Alpha Legion? They don’t even exist.

• Jazz42 says:

That’s what the Emo-Angels want you to think…skulking around, hiding underneath their cloaks.
      Heretics I tell you, one and all.

2. Spacewalk says:

Ugh that movie, I’m going to say “ouch” for Relic.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I enjoyed the movie through and through, myself…

• Askeladd says:

Just NO

• lijenstina says:

Even worse than Demolition Man

• Spacewalk says:

Demolition Man was cool though, it had Dennis Leary as leader of an underground resistance and that little exchange about Schwarzenegger being president (though in the real world he only made it as far as governor). I think that there was some explosions too and maybe a car chase but those are incidental details.

• bill says:

It also had Sandra Bullock, and is therefore awesome.

I think he meant Judge Dredd

• lijenstina says:

Weird standards for coolness :)

• LionsPhil says:

What’s wrong with you people, honestly. Both films were ace.

3. Jajusha says:

Meh, girly Titus and his 2 nuns.

• Askeladd says:

Oh, I thought all Space Marine Chapters are supposed to be badass until I played this game.

Really Space Nuns fits, those guys are worthless in a battle.

But this game is better then the Uglymarines movie.

• Ed123 says:

Ultramarines movie was so fucking bad.

• Quizboy says:

I think you meant to say ‘this would’ve been a better game if it starred Sister Titus and her nuns’. A Sisters of Battle sequel would be amaze. They’re a hundred times more frothy-at-the-mouth zealous than the average marine (I think it’s from one of the Cain books that the only way to direct them is to point, yell HERETICS, and duck), they have a slightly unhealthy thing about fire, they regularly field a tank with an organ on the back that launches missiles…

• Askeladd says:

That wasnt what he wanted to imply but anything is more badass then Titus and his crew.
      Sisters of Battle, I know those, sounds good.

• Strange_guy says:

I tried to reply to this earlier, but it didn’t work, but now I’ve posted a comment on another story so I’m going to reply despite it really being a bit late and this comment not really being important.

Sisters of Battle would make good protagonists for a possible sequel, them not being as super human or close combat orientated could be an issue, but you could just blame everything on the power armour. Also acts of faith would make sense as a more appropriate replacement for the fury system (really, fury for ultramarines? Blood angels, space wolves or black templars maybe, but ultramarines are among the least angry). Wasn’t Space Marine complained about as copying Gears of War or something stupid like that? The Sisters chainsaw bayonet could be a problem if I’m remembering that right. Biggest problem would probably be what to title it really.

4. McDan says:

Definitely going with Blood Angels, clearly the best no matter what anyone says.

• Sheng-ji says:

I’m shocked the game didn’t feature blood angels, given how they encourage you to play!

5. HexagonalBolts says:

Darling, Ultramarine is so last season

6. google says:

What were the black Blood Angels called? With bones on their armour?

Them please.

• Icarus says:

Death Company?

• Jams O'Donnell says:

Unless you mean Legion of the Damned, which I don’t think belong to the Blood Angels after all: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1491073&prodId=prod380007a

• Sheng-ji says:

The only Blood Angels chapter whose main colour isn’t red are called The Lamenters, and they’re Yellow. I do think you mean the Death company or legion of the damned if you also remember them with flames on their armour

• Nick says:

“The Death Company is arrayed in black armour upon which are painted red saltires, crosses of blood red which symbolise the sacrifice of Sanguinius. The company is led into battle and directed towards the foe by the Chapters Chaplains. The warriors fight with the certainty of death and are completely fearless, ignoring wounds that would fell a normal man. Should they survive the battle they will probably die of their wounds afterwards, once the frenzied slaughter is past. It is better this way, for those who do survive almost always fall victim to the Red Thirst, turning into creatures no better than wild beasts craving flesh and blood. Better by far to die cleanly and quickly in battle than to suffer such a fate.”

7. DanPryce says:

Call me when they’ve got Space Wolves. I’ll be playing Black Templars until then.

• Sheng-ji says:

Old style Space Wolves, yes please – mighty beards and snarling fangs

New style Space Wolves, no thanks – mohicans and spiky hair

• bill says:

Was better when Space Wolves were just cool – none of this stupid litteral “like wolves” stuff.

Was better when all the marines were basically marines, and they hadn’t customized every single chapter and every single chapter didn’t have loads of unique regiments.

• aircool says:

Yeah, I preferred it when Marines weren’t so diverse. But that’s ‘the hobby’ for you, if they don’t invent new stuff, they’d have no new stuff to sell.

Or, you could have stopped buying new stuff 20 years ago and have the largest ever Crimson Fists army that the loft has ever seen.

• bill says:

i DID stop buying new stuff 20 years ago….

I had a huge Space Wolves army… with proper pointy helmets and all – none of these stupid newfangled ones.

I never got to use my Leman Russ + wolves model though, as the points cost was ridiculous and he was crap. Sigh.

• aircool says:

Constantly changing things is a royal pain, especially when different sources of canon contradict each other. Then again, I haven’t played for decades, but I like the fluff.

re: my Crimson Fists Army. After a quick nose through the ‘t’net, it looks like I have more Crimson Fists Marines than actually exists in current canon.

But yeah, pointy helmets, made of metal (although I do have tons of plastic ones as well, including some of the original boxes still unopened as I hated gluing them together), a few on square bases. Also, Orks with Bolters, Graviton Guns (they were pretty good fun to use), original Dreadnoughts (with arms that kept falling off because they were too heavy for superglue) and a Hero Marine (back in the days they had champions, heroes and mighty heroes) who wasn’t wearing a helmet, but looked an awful lot like Baroness Thatcher!!!

8. bill says:

Dark Angels used to be the boring ones…

9. TooNu says:

At least Ultramarines are not brooding emo vampire teens, touchy hurt my feelings alcholoic beserker dogs, traitors who didn’t have the heart to follow through, whiny yellow quitter cowards, lose 80-90% of their chapter + primarch to dropsite ambush.

No they created the codex astartes (a comprehensive book of tactics and rules for a space marine legion to follow in order to stop any possible heresy trouble in the future). They protect the entire eastern side of the GALAXY from Tyranid invasions of which they have dealt with 3 hivefleets – Behemoth, Kraken and Leviathan. And they do this despite being known as the ordinary/boring space marine chapter.
    Ultramarines are awesome.

• Calneon says:

“They protect the entire eastern side of the universe from Tyranid invasions of which they have dealt with 3 hivefleets”

Forgive me for my lack of WH40k lore, but do you mean galaxy and not universe? If not, how do they travel from one galaxy to another?

• TooNu says:

Maybe they use magic and unicorns? I edited universe to galaxy for mr.pedantic here.

• Calneon says:

I was genuinely curious, you seem much more up on 40k lore, don’t take it the wrong way :P.

• jonfitt says:

I just don’t trust a supposed boy scout chapter who were “on the other side of the galaxy stuck in traffic”, or “washing my armour”, or whatever the excuse was for missing the Battle for Terra.
      Not the people to rely on when the snotling hits the turbine.

• Commisar says:

yes, i can’t understand all of the Ultramarine hate here, they are my favorite Chapter, along with the Salamanders

10. Olivaw says:

Isn’t there some bit of Codex bullshit that says that Captains and high ranking space marines never wear helmets? ‘Cause they’re so fuckin’ badass they don’t need ‘em?

I honestly thought this was the case.

• Quizboy says:

I’ve always chosen to believe that is a helmet – particularly high-ranking spess mehreens get the Chapter’s most expert craftsmen to fashion them a ceramite helmet in the shape of their own head. It lets them look so assured in their superiority as to demoralise humanity’s enemies, while not actually being stupid enough to venture onto battlefields full of venom cannons and splinter rifles with nothing protecting their faces. The absence of the lost technology of articulation also explains why they all look so angry all the time.

• Calabi says:

I always thought they just had a forcefield.

• Vandalbarg says:

Some of them do just go without, but most of the higher ranking ones have a personal forcefield called an Iron Halo (I think?) that protects their head from bullets and junk.

One of the ones who went without a helmet, the Primarch of the Ultramarines none the less, got a blow dart in the neck and is still in a coma. Hilarious, to think of a genetically engineered superman in walking tank armor, who comes from a species who tried this whole “science” shenanigans and came out the other side, to get taking down by a bloody poisoned dart.

• Bursar says:

I think current fluff has Guilliman’s wound having been inflicted by Fulgrim wielding the anatheme (the weapon that nearly killed Horus triggering the whole Horus Heresy).

The anatheme is the only weapon known (so far) that can kill a primarch (short of obliterating them with a volcano cannon or something).

Horus got impaled in the chest by a giant spike and that barely slowed him down. The graze from the anatheme nearly killed him.

So, not a blow dart!

• TsunamiWombat says:

Many squad leaders go unhelmeted when they can for inspirational effect. There are advantages and disadvantages. All Space Marines have superhuman senses including taste, smell, and hearing- the helmet limits them all greatly (to about human levels or so) but provides them with auspices, auto targeting, threat indicators, and other data. In general, Helmets are considered important for for field combat but in situations where situational awareness is paramount, helmetless is the way to go. A Space Marine can hear your heart beating on the other side of a wall in the next room and direct his men on where to shoot THROUGH the wall to kill you without even making a hole/opening the door.

11. Dom_01 says:

Hell yes! Deathwatch is included!

Time to purge the Xenos threat.

12. Copernicus says:

@Alec:
    Multiplayer is disabled because the shortcut adds a parameter called -usepreview. This will set the game into a kind of preview mode which allows files to be loaded from the preview-folder (which in terms override the files from the game’s archives). It is by no means intentional but rather an unpleasant side effect. We’re working on finding a better solution to load mods, but up until now, it is the best we have.

Regards,
    -cope.
    (over from the Relicnews forum)

13. westyfield says:

As a non-40k-fan, the way people defend their favourite group is most amusing.
    “Ultramarines are best!”
    “No, Blood Angels are!”
    “You’re all wrong, the Doom Lions are clearly superior.”
    “You fools! The Armoured Space Chappies are the most interesting ones.”

• Dominic White says:

Green iz best!

(And da red wunz go fasta, natch)

• aerozol says:

Yeah, but that’s part of the fun!

• Spakkenkhrist says:

Yeah but who would win, the enterprise or a star destroyer?

• Jarenth says:

The answer to that question is always Dr Who.

• Chris D says:

@Spakkenkhrist

/geekmode on

Depends. Are we talking Constitution class Enterprise (original series) or Galaxy class (Next Gen)? I reckon the constitution class just doesn’t have the mass but the Galaxy class could make a fight of it. The Star Destroyer is a dedicated warship with a full complement of fighters while the Enterprise is mostly an exploration vessel with some guns and shields.

It probably comes down to blasters vs phasers. Extrapolating from the handheld versions I think its fair to say phasers are more powerful. (Blasters seem about equivalent to modern projectile weapons only shinier, phasers have a disintegrate mode) But how much more powerful? If only a bit then the Star Destroyer has it on mass and weight of guns but if you think phasers could take down shields far more easily then you could give it to the enterprise.

Jarenth is also right. The Doctor could take both of them.

• aircool says:

What’s he gonna do? Run around with a shiny penlight, shout a lot and do random stuff to fill in the enormous holes in the thin plot?

• jonfitt says:

@westyfield Perhaps it doesn’t come across to a non 40k players, but it’s all in good humour. Back in the day it really was a case of what colour you painted them. Nobody I knew really took it seriously.

14. Lemming says:

I’m going to play as Soul Drinkers, just so nothing makes sense! Hurrah!

15. DarthNader says:

The PC. Nature always finds a way.

16. xenist says:

Oooh. Here come the fans of the gimmick Chapters.

“We’re Space Vikings. We braid each other’s hair and have replaced every third word we speak with wolf.”
    “We’re vaguely vampiric and very emo about it.”
    “We have permanent blackface and use lots of flamers.”

Don’t hate on the Ultramarines because your one trick pony Chapters are inferior.

17. tonweight says:

Imperial Fists. I may stand out in the ruin like a misplaced bollard, but at least I bring some cheery color to an otherwise drab and grim battlefield; skull white helm and all.

Now, Chaos on the other hand: the only thing missing from my plaguemarine is a bolus of pendant gut and a fleshy-pink tentacle protruding from someplace unnatural.

• Imperialles says:

And here I thought I was the only Imperial Fists supporter around. Good on you, sir. Glory of Terra, and so forth.

• Ergonomic Cat says:

Where, precisely, is the *natural* place for a fleshy pink tentacle to protrude?

18. Askeladd says:

Oh machine spirit, I think the warp got me. I have got one of these fleshy-pink tentacles right here.

19. Phasma Felis says:

If I ever lost my senses enough to build a 40K Space Marine army, it would have to be pre-heresy Iron Warriors, because their color scheme is bare metal with black-and-yellow hazard stripes. A man who goes into battle dressed like a construction area demands respect.

20. Hardtarget says:

so mad that you aren’t a Blood Raven in the SP Campaign. This is supposed to be a Relic game!

21. Eynonz says:

C’mon now guys, we all know its all about the Salamanders. Nothing beats reigning down the heat of hell onto your enemies only to breathe in the fresh smell of barbequed ork.

22. Ergonomic Cat says:

Suffer not the Unclean to live.

There are many who *claim* to serve the Emperor.

There is one chapter that truly does so.

Black Templars. No Pity. No Remorse. No Fear.

So badass that they won’t even claim a homeworld, because to do so implies that the fighting will ever be over, and there would be a place to settle.

Also: Oh, you have 1,000 members. How cute. We have 1,000 too. Really. It’s been checked. It’s official.