Trial Of Honour: Sengoku Demo Released

By Adam Smith on September 12th, 2011 at 10:01 am.

Allow me to demonstrate

Anyone unsure as to whether they want to plot their way to the top in Feudal Japan would be well-advised to download the demo for Sengoku. You won’t get anywhere near the top because there’s a 15 year time limit, but, as is the intention of demos, it should help you to decide if the game is for you. Get it from Fileplanet here or read on for a bit of help if all this strategy business baffles your brains.

Baffled, eh? It’s not unusual. I’ve been playing these things for years and I still get the fear when I load up a new one. It’s the worry that I won’t know about some new feature until it’s too late and then I’ll end up staring wildly at a map while society and the economy collapse around me for rubbish and horrid reasons beyond my ken. I can do that in real life just by loading up Google Earth.

If you do find yourself confused, there’s a (apparently unfinished) copy of the manual here, linked to by good folks on the Paradox forums. I haven’t had a chance to try the demo yet but I have read most of the manual, which was most enjoyable in itself: “If your character’s Honor becomes very low, you can click the Seppuku icon (a small knife)…”

If you want to know more, there’s an informative developer diary with lots of mispronounced Japanese terms here. The game is available tomorrow from some outlets and will be on Steam Friday. Check the site for more details.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Silver says:

needs full game, right? no ?

2. Jajusha says:

So, this one is more like Crusader kings instead of Shogun right?

3. HexagonalBolts says:

Last time I checked they still hadn’t bothered to make the tutorials for Europa Universalis playable, despite the seventy expansion packs, so I still have not been able to sink my teeth in to that. I fear this will just be more wasted money if I buy it. :(

4. Longrat says:

Wow, fileplanet. Talk about a blast from the past!

5. FalseMyrmidon says:

I was about to bitch about having to use Fileplanet but then it let me download it without logging in or waiting in line or anything unpleasant at all.

6. spindaden says:

Havent seen any sys requirements floating about – what are the odds of this running on my weedy netbook?

• FCA says:

It seems to be based on the same engine as Europa Universalis III and Hearts of Iron III, so I guess Pixel Shaders 2.0 is necessary, and the Intel integrated solutions seem to be buggy with this, so I won’t expect it to work on ye olden netbook (maybe an Nvidia integrated solution will work however).

• spindaden says:

Well, having run it, I can so far answer my own question with a resounding… err maybe :/

The game runs, the UI is lovely, but all I get where the map should be is blank whiteness.
      Further investigation is necessary i suspect, perhaps if I can con my machine into installing a better driver it might work?

• theleif says:

System specs:
      Operating system: XP/Vista/Windows7
      Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
      Memory: 2 Gb RAM
      Hard disk space: 2 GB Available HDD Space
      Video: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900
      Resolution at least: 1024*768
      Sound: Direct X-compatible sound card
      DirectX®: DirectX 9
      Controller support: 3-button mouse, keyboard and speakers
      Special multiplayer requirements: Internet Connection for multiplayer

Cheers

7. Zepp says:

I hope it beats its spiritual predecessor – Sengoku Rance. Better animations and more diversity in girls would be greatly approved.

8. Eightball says:

The demo is too short (which I guess is a good sign) but it’s hella atmospheric and hella complex.

9. Abundant_Suede says:

For those of you playing, does it seem more EU3, or more Crusader Kings with a strong focus on the politics of all the characters with individual traits? I hope the latter.

I’m on a job for the next couple days, and can’t check it out for myself yet.

10. Atic Atac says:

If someone from Paradox would ever put a usable tutorial in any of their games I’d love to give them a go.

• angryweather says:

I hear you there. Recently picked up EU3: Chronicles and spent a majority of my time with it searching youtube tutorial videos and reading wiki entries. I suppose that’s a KIND of tutorial.

• Dreamhacker says:

If someone from Paradox would ever put out a deep yet accessible game, I’d love to give them a go.

• angryweather says:

So I hopped into the demo for a short while and lo and behold — a tip-based tutorial! As you click on game elements a handy “Hints” window explains the mechanics of what you just clicked on. So, click on a province and learn they’re called “Kori” and how their economy, military and religion can be modified. Click on the Court button and get a break-down of the main window. It goes deep enough to explain what kind of stats you want in an Adviser, and what they can do, ect.

I think I may actually (learn to) understand what I’m doing in this game. A nice surprise!

11. Tams80 says:

Despite the hints, I was still utterly lost. Well, not lost, rather overwhelmed. There are so many variables that you can/have to control all at once, that I gave up for tonight. I suppose I just need to invest time into getting used to everything (never played any of Paradox’s other games like this before, so no surprise).

It didn’t help that my laptop made it run really sluggishly. It was hard enough trying to pause/unpause time (had me confused for 30 minutes why nothing was happening).

Comment on this story