Wot We Wrote

By Adam Smith on September 12th, 2011 at 11:42 am.

As a new week begins and the frivolity of the weekend draws to a close, it is normal to look back at the week before and think: “Look on my works, ye Mighty, and say huzzah”. It’s certainly how I prepare for the horrors of every Monday, and I suggest everyone do the same. But I’m no doctor and that’s no prescription for joy. Instead, perhaps take a look through the best of Wot We Wrote last week. It’s stirring stuff.

We cast our eyes over quite a few games last week. First of all though, there was yet more to be written about the rather sensational Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Kieron had this to say: “The new Deus Ex is about many things, but ranking high amongst them is DRM. I’m not even joking.” The article contains many a spoiler, so be warned, but if you’ve finished the game in the last few days, now’s the time to go back and give this a read.

Wot We Thought

Turning to new and newish releases, there was good, bad and ugly. Sometimes all in one game. Mr Cobbett stretched his mind around time travel RTS Achron. The most surprising thing is that the core mechanic, mad as it is, works. The second most surprising thing is that it’s not enough to make the game quite as amazing as we’d hoped.

Next up for a full brain and body scan was The Baconing, latest in the Deathspank series. It’s more of the same but if you’re have a sizable funny bone that may not be a bad thing.

Alec spent a great deal of his week killing things in space. He also shared his thoughts on Space Marine in its singleplayer and multiplayer guises.

Back on our grim little planet, John went holidaying on Dead Island and brought back some impressions. Short version? Lush vegetation and fountains of gore. “This is Borderlands meets that game YOU love that everyone else feels falls short.”

There were more tropical shenanigans to be had in the surprisingly benign dictatorship of Tropico 4. Turns out, you pretty much can please all the people all the time. But that’s not to say you can’t have fun while you’re doing it. Rob Zacny reports.

Back in the land of man- and bizzarobeast-shooting, Serious Sam: Double D’s gunstacking and anarchic sensibilities fell under the microscope and, despite all the madness, felt like little more than an appetiser for the main course. Or perhaps a shot of tequila.

There was also abundant trigger-squeezing in PC-exclusive FPS Hard Reset, which aimed to recreate the mentality of a 90s shooter. It’s fair to say that it isn’t entirely successful.

Then there’s Rock of Ages. Where do you go after Zeno Clash? On a rock-rolling trip through art history, obviously. The Pythonesque graphics won over hearts and minds as soon as they were shown but how does the thing actually play? Behold the answer.

Previews, Interviews and Regulars

Seer-like, our gaze also met the future. It will include plot-heavy Kalypso’s Galactica-like Legends of Pegasus, “a 4X space sim with a unique touch”. That’s due early 2012 but before that, and playable in beta now, is Red Orchestra 2. While a more glossy affair than the original, Jim was quick to reassure that “the horror remains. And it is brilliant.”

As well as writing down all the words that tumble out of our brains, we also catch the words that tumble out of other peoples’ brains and then we write those down as well. It’s a form of reportage known as an interview. Last week we spoke to Matt Higby, creative director of Planetside 2 and learnt that he is a griefer. We didn’t learn anything more about payment models but we did learn almost everything else.

Then Jim had a chat with Jay Kyburz, who has consumed many hours of RPS’s collective life. Rather than asking for that precious time back, Jim politely asked about new game Jupiter’s Folly. And the new XCOM, which Jay worked on for a bit. Lastly but not leastly, there’s an interview with David Rosen, lead programmer at Wolfire, developers of anthropomorphic animal combat game, Overgrowth. It’s the one where a rabbit-man bleeds out clutching his ruptured jugular.

In cardboard children, Rob covered King of Tokyo. A quick-to-play game that looks like a board version of Rampage. Sold. Mod of the Week was Civilisation: NiGHTS, which is an extension and improvement of the core gameplay rather than a strategy version of Sega’s loopy dreamworld. Civ V disappointed lots of people and while this won’t appease them all, it certainly makes aspects of the game much more rewarding.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. strange_headache says:

As a regular reader I find this new feature completely redundant. Besides, by the time I’ve read this article about your articles I easily could have read 2 original ones. So really, what’s the point? It’s more like a convoluted “read our finest words”.

While I could simply skip this weekly round-up, I’d much prefer reading a weekly feature that also benefits the regular readers…

• westyfield says:

It’s good if you’ve been away for the week and don’t want to trawl through ten-or-so pages of “here’s a trailer for a game” or “here’s an announcement that an announcement will be announced soon” just to find the beefy features.

Jubaal says:

@strange_headache – I’m assuming it is for people who do not have the spare time to keep up with every article that appears on RPS. They can use this as a weekly summary and go back over articles which caught their eye.

I doubt I will do more than skim read it, but then again I’m an RPS addict. However I’m sure others without my crack-like dependency will find it useful.

• Alec Meer says:

Yeah, there are a large number of people who only visit occasionally.

• Ian says:

On the plus side, it’s absolutely possible for this to in no way detract from your time if you don’t read it and just skim past it on the front page.

Good times.

• Untruth says:

Weekly review is really useful for me. I read most stuff during the week, but to have a recap is really helpful in case I’ve missed something, which I often have.

It’s clearly not aimed at people who read everything. As others have noted, there are people who don’t get to read everything… and this serves them well.

+ to having a games list

• bill says:

Be good to have a separate RSS feed for just Wot We Wrote…

• Chakawi says:

strange_headache, I find these articles very useful for me. I had missed the Jupiter’s Folly coverage and yet I’m playing 2 games of it right now.

Don’t position your opinion as the voice of many.

Thanks Alec

• Ergonomic Cat says:

I try to read RPS daily, follow them on Twitter, and still missed 2 of the articles here. It also reminded me of one (The DXHR) that I meant to read, but hadn’t.

I suggest that if you find it of little value, you avoid clicking on anything titled “What We Wrote” in the future, and we’ll all be happy!

And yes, thanks for the summary RPS!

Biscuitry says:

As I am also a regular reader, I will not be using this feature. But I’m glad that it’s here.

Talon says:

As a long-time reader, this was still super-helpful.

2. marlin says:

What worries me is that I’ve read about 99% of all that…

Note to self; get out more.

3. Jayson82 says:

Might be worth while to do a monthly review of the gaming scene rather than or as well as a weekly one.

4. misterk says:

I’m glad this is back (I feel like you guys used to have this, right?), as while I do have rps on RSS, I sometimes skip articles that I didn’t think would be of interest to me, and its nice to see if I was correct with a nifty little summary.

5. karry says:

You know what i’d like to see ? A list feature. Just a simple vertical list of every game that got its own blog post on RPS. Dont even bother to make it a linkable list, just all text. You do know how to shine the spotlight on the obscure titles, but scrolling back the blog 10 posts at a time, in search of something interesting to play, is rather…inefficient.

• Gassalasca says:

• LionsPhil says:

Actually, a big list of games covered, linked by their blog tag, would be pretty handy.

Maybe it’d encourage some consistency in use of the latter, too.

Martel says:

I vote for what LionsPhil said

• mondomau says:

This is a very good idea, though links would be better than just text.

6. Radiant says:

I flicked through a pirated copy of Edge the other day and had a “What the hell are all these other games?” moment.
    Damn you rps.

7. Gundrea says:

This is one of the perils of blog format in that most people never graze beyond the first page and thus fine gems of artistry are lost under tweets about bathtubs.

8. Bhaumat says:

After reading that first sentience, I couldn’t resist. I apologise in advance.

I met a traveller from an online land
    Who said: “A vast and wordy piles of games
    Stands in the network. Near it, in the pipes,
    Half sunk, a shattered DRM lies, whose frown,
    And always-on and keys of cold contempt,
    Tell that its publisher well those deceptions wrote
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that scammed them and the sales that fed.

And in the alt-text these words appear –
    `My name is RPS, King of Games:
    Look on my works, ye mighty, and say huzzah!’
    Nothing beside remains. Round the sprawl
    Of that colossal site, boundless and bare,
    The empty, memic pipes stretch far away”.

9. Omroth says:

Arg! Please just post a list! I hate to think you of guys wasting your time writing these little summaries – just link them with the number of comments, a little score of how angry the comments thread got, the name of the person who won the comments thread and the person who lost it too. And how many hits the post got – probably not as an actual number, but as a colour between yellow and red.

10. phenom_x8 says:

Anyone remember the RPS omnibus??

shoptroll says:

Weekly Wrapup : Omibus :: X-Com : Enemy Unknown ?

(I kid, I kid)

Daiv says:

The RPS Omnibus was involved in a traffic incident involving a tea strainer just outside Weston Super Mare. They had to sell Quinns to buy a replacement.

11. Enikuo says:

I can confirm that this is in fact, wot they wrote. I was there. It was great.

shoptroll says:

I blame my gf for making my brain start playing “Winter Wrapup” from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic when I read the tags for this article. Make it stop!

13. hypercrisis says:

If this is a joke, I don’t get it

heretic says:

A well laid out summary.

BathroomCitizen says:

I like this feature, honest.

Sometimes I miss an article that I might be interested in, and with this one I pretty much don’t miss it.

16. adonf says:

This is missing the Omnibus tag.

17. ABearWithAGun says:

You should have articles on what COMMENTATORS wrote!