Arma 3 & Underpants

By Alec Meer on September 13th, 2011 at 12:53 pm.

Now's not the time for gymnastics, Brian

For some people, there’s nothing better than watching nine Arma 3 videos in a row. Those people are going to be extremely disappointed, for today I am only able to bring them eight Arma 3 videos in a row. I have let you down. Perhaps even betrayed your trust. I am so sorry. One day, I hope, we might come to love each other again. Those of you with less exacting tastes will hopefully be able to draw some small measure of pleasure from the following 10-ish minutes of footage culled from presentations made at GamesCom last month. Includes a whole lot of undersea action, including what I’m prepared to guess is the most realistic flipper physics consumer videogames have ever before offered. Also, includes discussion of how much time they spent convincingly recreating soldiers’ underpants. PRE-ORDERED.

Nicely laid-back and chatty videos, given Arma’s steely-eyed nature, these – worth a watch whether or not you’re into soldier sims. (Er, you probably shouldn’t load the below post on a Netbook or anything else that has itself a cry when presented with Flash videos.)

More details and stuff and things but not underpants over on the brand new Arma 3 website.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. says:

I just want it to run smoothly.

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Amen to that. Getting anything from the ArmA series to run on your PC has always been something of a lottery (my system which isn’t underperforming anywhere else struggles with ArmA2 when comparable rigs don’t), but as far as I can tell it’s always been a certainty that if you own a PC that already exists at the time of launch, give up until you get a new one.

I’ll get excited about it when it’s out and when I have a demo running at a reasonable speed on a reasonable setup.

• xcession says:

Hear hear.

Amazing landscapes, explorable environments and projectile physics are all great if you have the mythical machine capable of playing ANY of the arma games at a decent resolution or framerate, but I’m curiously one step behind Bohemia’s ideal system requirements for every game they release.

Any idea what the requirements are for this? I’ll be sure to re-mortgage my house in anticipation.

Also, is it really so hard to overlap the audio files such that One. Engage. Man. At. 100. Metres. is fixed?

• Kevin says:

You guys have just nailed all my complaints about the ArmA series on the head for me. All those complaints Bohemia has failed to address over the years.

An i5 is a minimum to run ArmA 3? For Christ’s sake, Bohemia, can’t you guys tone that down to the later generation duo cores or something?

And the mad libs dialogue: Falcon 4.0 does a better job of making that system sound less jarring, and that’s saying something.

• Dahoon says:

An I5 is not a high requirement for a game like this. Sounds more like you are accustomed to all the games that rely on the GPU instead, being rather easy on the CPU.

I play ArmA2 w. ACE (on an I5) with a friend (on a Pentium D) so it’s not like you need a Unicorn CPU or anything like that. The Pentium D was made from 05-08. ArmA2 is from 09.

• Lord Byte says:

I was one of the few that had arma 2 running at a decent framerate thanks to me getting a new Crossfire rig and everything before launch… for at least half an hour before the framerate inexplicably dropped to near nothing ( 3 times lower than the first half hour). Then a couple of patches and expansions later they fixed that issue. But the last few months because of me having a Radeon 4980 setup if at any time I get glare at a random time it will end up so extreme that I can’t see and play anymore until I reset the graphics in the options (aka just swap something on and off then apply). Same goes for blur. At random points I get this fisheye blur that stays on my screen forever, much blinking and cursing later I discovered I have to swap Vertical Sync on and off to fix it.
      No combination of changes to settings has been able to fix this, no patch either. So I am screwed and can’t play the game I love.

• Dahoon says:

Funny thing* is that I play it with a mate who’s on a Pentium D and although ArmA2 with ACE is slow on it, it is not unplayable at all.

*- Well, maybe not funny.

• EOT says:

ArmA II truly is an odd beast. It doesn’t seem to matter what resolution or settings I play it at it stutters between 15 and 60 (ish) FPS. 1280×720 everything on medium? 15 – 60 FPS. 1920×1080 everything on high? 15 – 60 FPS. Doesn’t seem to matter what kind of environment I’m in either, the tight confines of Zagrabad or the northern steppes, it still runs like shit. Still, the ARPS lot are a mostly fun group.

I have zero interest in the single player of ArmA III though as I’m pretty sure that, considering the AI has been crap since OpFlash, they still won’t have improved it. Thus making any single player experience an exercise in frustration and exactly no fun Well, for me at least. My ex did enjoy watching me get frustrated at it. But she’s a fucking she-deamon from the Eye of Terror so it’s no fucking surprise.

• Dahoon says:

You problem is clearly that you change the wrong settings (graphics) when the problem is that your CPU is the bottleneck. Try some of the settings (or mods) that impact the CPU instead.

• Snakejuice says:

This is usually the case when the cpu is the bottleneck, I noticed the same thing when I bought a good gpu recently – same fps no matter what quality graphics in like 75% of all my games..

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

I hadn’t realised, but BI have released specific system requirements for it;

* OS – Windows 7 / Vista
      * CPU – Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster
      * GPU – Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770, shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster
      * RAM – 2 GB
      * HDD – 15 GB free space
      * DVD – Dual Layer compatible
      * DirectX® – 10

So we can probably assume that’s about a generation behind what you’ll actually need… I’m going to do what I did with ArmA2 – forget about it, upgrade my system for other reasons, then remember to my surprise that I have a PC capable of playing it. Then I’ll install it and find out it still won’t work.

• Dahoon says:

Are those minimum specs? Because to me it looks like you post minimum required specs and then go on and talk about what you need to run it looking like in the videos? Those are two different things.

• EOT says:

@Snakejuice: I have a Phenom II x4 955 BE OC to 4.0 Ghz…having looked at its performance whilst playing ArmA II it’s not going over about 35% or so which would lead me to believe that it isn’t the problem.

This CPU should be good for at least my next GPU upgrade (which is admittedly going to be Christmas) and the one after. So, the next two or so years it should be fine.

• Dahoon says:

I’ll bet it is the bottleneck. If it’s a 35 % then something is holding it back, be it itself (bug?), the game (another bug?) your RAM, motherboard, drivers, etc. As I said, I’d bet a beer that it isn’t the graphic-card so changing the graphic setting will do nothing.

2. wcaypahwat says:

Well, I did read an article the other day about how our troops were being issued with flak-panties…

• Askeladd says:

Just get em some nice shiny power armor. You won’t even need helmets anymore.

• Harlander says:

Man, I wanted to be the first to comment on reading something in the defence procurement magazine that, amidst talking up a new iteration of infantry battledress, rhapsodized the bullet-turning properties of the uniform skivvies.

At least I managed to make the most unwiedly sentence about it.

3. Calneon says:

But… there are 8.

4. karry says:

If its a soldier “sim”, can i have some “friendly fire” on my fellow trooper in it ?

• Unaco says:

If it’s anything like OFP, ArmA, ArmA2, OpArrowHead… Then yes, there’ll be friendly fire. On by default… don’t know if there is a way to change it actually.

• Harlander says:

There’s certainly friendly fire, especially if you play with the RPS crew

• karry says:

Good, then i guess its a solid 2 days of having fun shooting US soldiers in the face. On the third day it does get a little stale, you know.

5. mod the world says:

I hope the controls will be more friendly for casual-newbs like me.
    Also: Underpants are sooo 20th century!

• Potentaint says:

The controls really aren’t that bad. It’s true you utilize about 3/4 of your keyboard when playing, but I felt right at home after about two hours of playing Arma II. The first hour or so is definitely tough, just stick with it. I find them to be a perfect obstacle to keep morons out of the game.

• Ross Angus says:

mod the world: are you making a reference to “going commando” there? Very poor pun.

6. Deccan says:

Dang if the screencap on that second vid doesn’t look like a photo.

7. Kollega says:

So, you can take the enemy’s uniform after shooting him, but no-one will bother asking you about bullet holes in it or the fact that you don’t have a matching weapon? “Realism” my ass.
    /half-sarcasm-half-serious-criticism

• psyk says:

You don’t have to eat or drink, you can go in to third person and you can have orbs on the scrreen.

• xcession says:

Any sim of any sort where you don’t have to take a shit at least once a day is no sim at all!

• Kollega says:

Well, Hitman series has blood-and-bullet-hole-detection for enemies. Of course, it’s a stealth action, not a military sim – but i think it’s pretty important if you’re doing “infiltration” gameplay.

• psyk says:

You never know it might be in the game but I think it’s going a bit far for a game where your least lethal method of killing is a gun unless they are adding hand to hand.

• Orija says:

@psyk, what the heck is ‘least lethal’?

Also, blood is absent. Still, like with the reload animation, this is still a wip, we’ll have to wait and see.

• Michael Hoss says:

it could be undestroyable cloths with destroyable human beings wearing them. the bullets just pass the cloths. oh wait. that’s again no sim.

8. psyk says:

Can you get that target overlay for arma 2?

9. Michael Hoss says:

Alec you basterd. What if I just needed 7 and 8 produced some kind of weird overflow in my mind? and yes, it did!

10. Hendar23 says:

Glad to seen Steven Hawking has reprised his voice acting role as your squad-mates.

I played OpFlash, like, to death, but ArmA1+2 I’ve never jived with because of either the mouse lag issue, or the fact that getting ArmA2 to run a a decent rate means turning everything down until it actually looks worse than OpFlash. Insane. I love this series, and I look forward one day to one of the games other than OpFlash to actually be playable.

• phuzz says:

Ditto, I’ve not really played ArmA 1 or 2, but I put in a lot of time on OpF and it’s kinda nice to see they’ve not bothered making a better audio system. Surely if they got a VO artist to record all the dialog in the same tone of voice it wouldn’t sound so all over the place.
      Enemy….. MAN! FIFTY meters……………………FRONT!

11. MajorManiac says:

They had me at number 2.

12. Brumisator says:

Eh, I’ve clocked several hundred hours in Arma 2, but I’m really not exited about arma 3. The updates really seem minimal.

13. Caddrel says:

The ability to change uniforms could really take Arma 2 in new and exciting directions.

UNKNOWN. PANTS. 50 METRES. TO. YOUR LEFT.

14. Apocalypse 31 says:

The aiming still looks very sluggish and not smooth at all

• Dominic White says:

This is because it’s actually simulating the gun as a solid object with mass, attached to your characters arms, and not a mouse cursor of death as most games model it.

Keep in mind that the Arma series are the civillian, smoothed-down versions of the Virtual Battlespace series of real military training sims.

• Apocalypse 31 says:

In my two deployments to Iraq, I was never that sluggish lugging my weapon around. Even with nearly 90lbs of extra body armor on, in 125 degree weather, during 12 hour+ operations.

If we were to talk realism, I’d say that the Battlefield series (BF2, Bad Company) are much more realistic in portraying realistic movement and weapons handling. This is coming from someone with ACTUAL experience in Iraq.

• Dahoon says:

I agree with you on the weapon feel but I don’t see how Iraq comes in to the picture? Are weapons different down there, compared to, say, Sweden, Mexico or Vietnam? As a former soldier myself, service in Iraq is not something to be proud of IMO. Service is, but leave Iraq out of it. That’s is just embarrassing.

I hope you weren’t in a heavy DU usage area. That sucks monkeyballs. Or was it donkeyballs?

• HeavyHarris says:

@Dominic
      Now, I don’t have any military experience like the guy above me (Thank you for your service, sir.) but I do have experience handling weapons and I can assure you that you can keep a rifle steady while moving forward at a decent pace. There’s a certain way of moving, specifically used when clearing buildings, that enables the weapon handler to keep his sights steady and ready.

EDIT: Here’s a video demonstration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo7X_BgCptw

15. Jim9137 says:

This is me, clicking endlessly in hope of finding a mention of the dreadful AI.

Comment on this story