Heavenly Hostiles: Wasteland Angel Demo

By John Walker on September 13th, 2011 at 11:48 am.

More games should feature the word SPLAT.

Have you encountered a Wasteland Angel? It’s a new indie action game that now has a demo coming down from heaven, which teaches you an important life lesson, and then slowly walks away toward the horizon. Or indeed lets you frantically zoom a car around, defending towns from enemy invading automobiles. I’ve no idea what the demo includes, because for some reason Steam is refusing to let me download it. However, I’ve been playing the real thing, and I can copy the information from this here press release! Ladies and gentlemen: games journalism.

Actually, by playing the real game I’ve somewhat spoiled the genuine games journalism ethos, so I apologise for that. Although if I’d only bother to look outside of Steam I’d notice that the demo can be downloaded from here, too.

Octane Games’ project features the titular lady driving her heavily weaponised car around in tight circles, taking out waves of incoming baddy drivers. They’re trying to steal the citizens from various towns, and you must, um, blow up the vans they’re in to rescue them. I’m not sure that’s quite how rescuing works, but this people seems quite impervious to explosions. Why? Because there’s been a nuclear holocaust, of course.

It’s quite fun, really. Certainly nothing ground-shaking, but an action distraction to occupy a few lunches. And at £9 (currently £7.19 on Steam), it’s the right price too.

Despite being built for PC, the game really feels like something that’s been ported from XBLA, both in the action theme, and with the crappy graphics. I’ve no idea why the options are so woefully limited, but the screen won’t expand widthways beyond 1280, yet there’s no option to play it in a window, and there are absolutely no grown up settings at all. So what looks like it should be quite a pretty game is obscured by a low resolution and no anti-aliasing whatsoever. Which seems a bit of a stupid shame, really.

Anyhow, you can find out for yourself, either by Steam’s page, or Atomic Gamer’s mirrors. And here’s a trailer:

, , , , .

1. King Toko says:

That game isnt worth the money. Theres better shooters such as Gatling Gears.

• Fringe says:

This has only reminded me that Renegade Ops is on pre-order and that I want it now (which cost me £5 as part of the 4x copies package).

I wonder if Mr Walker has played that to compare?

EDIT: sorry replied in the wrong place :oS noob

• Gnoupi says:

@Fringe – impatiently waiting for Renegade Ops as well, I hope we will hear more about it on RPS soon, to know if it lives up to the expectations

2. Luis_Magalhaes says:

Bad game journalist, John. Bad! You should be ashamed of this game-playing habit of yours.

• cauldron says:

Yes. I also despise all these self-proclaimed ‘games journalists’ who would rather play the games instead of dutifully and honestly recopying what the PR tell them.

How do we know what we must think?!

3. caddyB says:

I’ll spare you the trouble of downloading this and just link to overall awesome-person TotalBiscuit’s WTF is:

• Gnoupi says:

While his impressions are often nice to watch, I think that since there is a demo, people should make their own mind. It’s rare enough to not need some “let’s play”.

TB was also ecstatic from the Hard Reset press demo, and trying the demo myself showed me that it’s not really a game I like.

Don’t let someone else’s opinion shadow your own, when you have a demo available.

• caddyB says:

I wrote a long post about how comparing your feelings with people who generally have the same tastes as you is actually a good way of finding the real value in things, but that would be not only beside the point and also supporting your opinion.

I will therefore concede the point that you should in fact, play the demo if you are into this sort of game, but you can see the gameplay in the aforementioned video.

Is there a forum topic about game reviewers coloring the opinion of the masses about the games and how that is contributing to the downfall of the PC gaming in some cases where I can vent my frustrations about this very subject that I find myself a part of?

• DigitalSignalX says:

After seeing screens I thought this was a great in sort of a top down spy hunter way, but then I saw his WTF and am forced to conclude that it’s not even worth the meager sum they’re asking. They could have done so much more with so little relative effort and made this game 100% better. Part of me hopes they do sell enough units to make them work harder for a sequel or expansion but it won’t be my dollars that help.

• DarkByke says:

agreed. the stills look great, but watching that makes it come across as less than average. I’m bored already, next!

4. magnus says:

The short version is it’s like Woody Two-Legs: Attack of the Zombie Pirates, but cars substitute boats, an apocalyptic wasteland substitutes the sea and civilians substitute money. It’s about half as good as woody Two Legs which wasn’t much good in the first place.

5. Taverius says:

Screen goes to 1080p here …

6. hardboiledgregg says:

Makes me wish the Assault Heroes games were on PC.

7. Jimbo says:

What a stupid shame.

8. outoffeelinsobad says:

Is it just me, or does the art look similar to that of Sanctum and Steel Storm: Burning Retribution?

Andy_Panthro says:

“there are absolutely no grown up settings at all”

Quote of the week right there.