Counter-Strike: GO Dons Casual Slacks

By John Walker on September 14th, 2011 at 11:26 am.

His belt isn't correct! The GAME IS RUINED!

VG247 spotted a story spotted by GameFront spotted by Kotaku which I then spotted, and now you are. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is going to contain a casual mode, for lame-o n00bs like me. The reinvention of the game (rather than being any form of sequel) has a mode that will let you strip out the “in-game money restrictions on which weapons and items the player can buy.” Which sounds like, to my eareyes, an attempt to make it much more gamey.

Which is a good thing. So nyeh. The hardcore Counter-Strike community, whom I like to think of as the Romulans, will be upset by absolutely anything. If Valve re-released CS 1.6 with a new font on the splash screen there’d be uproar, boycotts and possibly death threats to all involved. Sure – you’re the exception. But you know it’s true of everyone else.

So an attempt to make the game more accessible for others will be met with hostility, but fortunately they don’t have to join in. Because CS right now is a game that I bounce off like a bouncy ball on a rubber trampoline. A few years back, at the behest of PC Gamer, I was given a lesson in CS 1.6 by one of the 4Kings. It was a brutally embarrassing affair, in which I wandered around lost, while the increasingly teeth-gritted expert patiently tried to explain to me how I had to jump on his shoulders. When it came to buying weapons, he just barked the keys I needed to press at me, such that I had no idea what was happening. It was better for everyone.

Other new bits and pieces revealed in the Kotaku article include the news that PS3 players on mouse/keyboard support will be matched against those on PC/Mac, and also raising the bar for the hardcore, with tweaks and improvements the dedicated players will appreciate (or complain about).

The game is due out early next year.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. fionny says:

I like the sound of it all to be honest, TBH if they ONLY fixed the netcode id be happy enough.

• Joshua says:

Ever played the CS:Source Beta? They did…

They also fixed a lot of recoil stuff, bugs being left there since… the original CS. The whole system is a lot more intinuitive now.

So I have good hopes for that game.

• kyrieee says:

CS:S beta? You mean the original release version of CS:S?

• Eclipse says:

nope, there’s a CS:Source Beta going on right now. CS:S is still selling a gazillion copies a day and still being patched regularly. Valve opened a beta version for the ones who wants to test the game updates before they go in the “normal” one. It’s amazing, and CS:S and CS are still the most played multiplayer shooters ever

• fionny says:

Ah cool never did try that Beta, never saw the point of it! At this stage though ill just wait for CS:GO

• Askeladd says:

Just tested a bit the beta on a private server and I must say: I’m pleased. The MAC10 should kick ass now after seeing how it sprays while moving :D

2. Blackberries says:

Hooray homogeneity!

3. DeanLearner says:

In casual mode you run around de_dust2 watering plants and gathering coins. Later on you even get a pet snail to help you pick up the coins

4. JohnArr says:

AWPs for everybody!

• BooleanBob says:

The problem isn’t everyone having AWPs. The problem is anyone having AWPs.

/TMP 4 life

(also, is that Louis in the screenie?)

5. Magnetude says:

The answer is Definitely.

6. LuNatic says:

But wot about hats?

7. Milky1985 says:

““in-game money restrictions on which weapons and items the player can buy.””

Oddly this could actually make things worse as everyone who snipes will awp, everyone will have degles etc. As long as theres some restrictions it would be ok (start the game with 3-5k for example, so youc an get weapons but still have to save a bit for the big guns) but giving open access to all guns could be painful in more ways than one

• Alexander Norris says:

Because everyone being on an equal footing is totally worse than the game repeatedly handicapping the losing team, right?

• Joshua says:

They are changing gun balance for the next version though, so it might not be all that bad. And eventually, casual players will probably move up to ‘normal’ once they feel comfortable with the game.

• DiamondDog says:

I don’t know, being on the losing team with no cash meant you had to get really creative with weapon choice. A flash bang and a MAC-10 could be lethal. Don’t see it as a handicap, see it as a challenge!

If everyone can buy anything they want then who is going to use anything less than the best weapons? Might as well just give everyone the same set of guns at the start of the game.

• trigger_rant says:

“Hi, im a dedicated server, Ive been working hard in the past 10 years to restrict AWPs even from YOUR favorite server.” God almighty…

• Gnoupi says:

@Diamond – unfortunately, while you can be creative, the other team can also be creative, with better weapons. And you die repeatedly, until you are sick of that and go play something actually fun.

• YourMessageHere says:

This move is very sensible, and any objection is idiocy. Remove the economy aspect and it’s suddenly all about one gun being better at one thing while another is better at another – you know, like Action Half-Life, or Action Quake II if you want to go further back in history. This is called balance.

It’s all part of the problem with CS as it’s widely percieved, which is this whole misconception that some guns are objectively better than others. All the guns have their uses; you decide what you want to do, and pick the gun that’ll help you do it most. Yes, the AWP does more damage; but a Scout headshot is just as lethal, and the scout is faster shot-to-shot. That’s not even considering the SSG550 or the G3SG1, which are completely different to use and no less lethal. It’s like rock, paper, scissors, d’you see?

8. Bobby Oxygen says:

As long as the casuals can’t do this in a game running the default rules, I’m fine with this. I just don’t want to be engaged in a “serious-business” type game and have someone join who can get a free AWP every round.

9. CaLe says:

Still have fond memories of PCW’ing with 4K. My life was pretty much CS for a good 4-5 years.. Yet, I have no interest in this game, or source. 1.6 just feels better and that’s all that matters.

• Gnoupi says:

Sitting on the same foam chair for 5 years will for sure make it seems more comfortable to your bottom.
      But it will stink with time anyway, and only you, faithful user of the chair, can’t see it.

You won’t want to try other chairs, because they won’t be feeling shaped for the lovely curves of your bottom, they will feel uncomfortable at first, so you will dismiss them.

So you will keep that old chair, day after day. And worship it like the best chair possible.

Even if for everyone around you, it will just stink.

• CaLe says:

Or they could just make a game that focuses on what matters instead of peripheral shit.

• Epskampie says:

Your reply makes it clear you could not have misinterpreted Gnoupi’s brilliant comment more. Please read it again.

• skinlo says:

You fail CaLe.

• LionsPhil says:

I must agree with the assessment of Epskampie and skinlo.

10. FieldOfTheBattle says:

Casual mode? More like pro-mode. Buying weapons is a completely retarded idea for a competitive FPS.

• CaLe says:

ECO management was a huge part of competitive CS.

• kyrieee says:

Not in a good way. The money system is kind of broken and introduces a lot of randomness. Depending on the order in which you win rounds both teams can win an equal amount of buy rounds but one team has to save 6+ rounds throughout the half while the other team never saves. It’s not really balanced for the game either, it was never designed for competitive de_ play and there are some weird arbitrary quirks to it.

11. Radiant says:

To get rid of casuals all I do is soak my feet and give them a good rub with a pumice stone.

12. mickygor says:

This is the only mode that will work cross platform, right? I can’t see community cohesion working well like this. I’m not at all interested in this mode and I’m far from a pro CS gamer.

• Magnetude says:

Community cohesion can only be improved by allowing more people to play with each other, surely? I hope they don’t have a ‘No Consoles Allowed’ option for servers. No gamepads allowed, obviously, but I can’t see the CS hardcore playing with the PS3 lot if they can help it.

• Jibb Smart says:

>”No gamepads allowed, obviously, but I can’t see the CS hardcore playing with the PS3 lot if they can help it.”

You mean no mouse allowed, right? I’d gladly play against players with gamepads if they’re willing to play against my mouse and keyboard. Then I’d finally get a KDR > 1. It’s the gamepad players who need to be protected from keyboard/mouse players.

• Magnetude says:

Nope, mixing of the two is the worst of all worlds. KB&M only or gamepad only, but keep the servers platform blind otherwise.

Call me casual, but I’m quite looking forward to being able to play online with a gamepad. My new flat came with a lazy boy and I intend to make the most of it.

13. TheApologist says:

I like the way Valve are slowly turning PS3s into PCs.

14. neoghoul says:

I just hope they don’t get the brilliant idea to bring unlockable items to any gamemode…. the game itself ,with its various tasks, should be the carrot, not some ominous idea to chase my unlockable carrot only to notice, when i finally got it, that i was racing alone; and i now the only thing i have is a rotten carrot that i do not want anymore.

15. Calneon says:

I dont see how this makes it a casual game. It just means you’ll see everyone running around with AWPs and M4/AK47s from get go.

• Askeladd says:

As it is right now anyway. Going for P90 or UMP is just for making the guys you kill rage.
      weapon balance in this game was shit as far as I remember.

16. svge says:

That is the flattest looking “rough” ground I have ever seen.

17. sneetch says:

I’m curious, if the PS4 launches with support for a keyboard and mouse from the get-go (actual, real support in actual, real games, not just lip-service) how many would be willing to buy one as a PC supplement?

I’m surprised Sony don’t push keyboard and mouse, controller and move as standard control options.

18. mageta says:

hmhm.. I can’t understand how someone can possible be overchallenged by the weapon-buy-system in CS. Maybe something changed in the last years, while I was not playing games like CS…

19. Vampy says:

From the Kotaku article: “A lot of Counter-Strike: GO is taking Counter-Strike: Source and Counter-Strike 1.6 and melding it into a product that every side likes and also expanding the base by putting it out on the consoles,” Valve’s Chet Faliszek said, referring to the two most popular incarnations of the game. “Whereas Counter-Strike 2, at least internally, we think about as something different.”

Soooo… does that not basically imply that Counter-Strike 2 is being made, or at least planned currently?

• ResonanceCascade says:

Newell said in a recent interview that there are people at Valve who want to make Counter-Strike 2, but implied that they’d been outvoted this time. I’d imagine it’ll be a while now.

• Magnetude says:

CS2 is basically impossible. If they don’t change enough, people will accuse it of not being a proper sequel (a la L4D2), but if they change anything at all, the 1.6 and Source crowd will swear to never touch it.

• verily says:

And then play it anyway, a la L4D2.

• trigger_rant says:

The easiest way out of this dilemma (probably) for Valve is to develope Counter Strike 2, but just call it something completely different. Keep the basic mechanics, the gameplay that makes CS great, but cover it into different skins, maps and theme. In my book thats the easiest way to evade the hardcore 1.6 crowd (not the pro 1.6 players). The pro players are actually reasonable people, however those that call themselfs hardcore 1.6 fan base, at this point, have really become a nuisance and are holding Valve back. Valve is trying to please them but all they get back it the usual nerd rage.

20. Jibb Smart says:

As far as I’m concerned CS is the only competitive game that got character leveling right — all your earnings expire between plays. This way no one is disadvantaged by not having invested enough time in the game, but players still strive for rewards.

21. Solid Snake on a Plane says:

So CS:GO’s going to feature 16k mode?

Doesn’t CS:S already have a server option for everyone to start out with the maximum amount of dosh?

22. Shooop says:

The snark is strong in this article. Do continue.

Comment on this story