Trine 2 Trailer Makes Everything Okay Again

By John Walker on September 14th, 2011 at 10:57 am.

Ahhhhhhhhh, it's going to be fine.

Is it morning for you too? I’m sorry. This incessant plague of mornings that has been affecting the Earth since the Great Schizm is wearing us all down. But this might help. It’s the new sort-of-trailer for Trine 2, that’s a bit like a week of afternoons off on a tropical island in the moonlight. All those things. It can only help.

Remember, the mornings will one day come to an end. As is prophesied in the Infinite Instruction Booklet, Chapter CXVII, “The Bear shall roar, and the mornings shall tumble into the earth, leaving only nice sunny Saturday afternoons and warm Sunday evenings before a bank holiday.”

And Trine 2 will be out by the end of this year.

, , , , .

1. CMaster says:

I was kinda hoping the sequel would be an FPS.

2. Brumisator says:

Trine makes all morning okay. I wish I could set this video’s music as my cellphone alarm clock.
    Stupid phone with buttons on it…

• Gnoupi says:

Ironically, I had less difficulties setting a song from a random mp3 file to be a ringtone on my previous “button” phone than on my current “button-less”.

3. Aemony says:

Instant buy, no question about it.

• LuNatic says:

Damn straight. Trine is easily the most beautiful game I’ve ever played. I any game can be called art, then Trine is it.

4. sneetch says:

I’ve been looking for a nice mushroom and river simulator, this could be it!

Lars Westergren says:

Troll your angry internet Diablo 3 men friends: tell them this is leaked footage of Blizzard’s new art direction.

Lim-Dul says:

Actually they wouldn’t be far off.

I watched a Diablo III stream yesterday and sadly the game looks like crap – not because I dislike colorful or flashy graphics but because (unlike e.g. in Trine) they couldn’t decide to go one way or the other – colorful or dark, cheerful or gloomy. It looks as if it was stuck half-way between Diablo 1(/2) and Torchlight and if you don’t follow through with your concept all the way it just stays mediocre. :-\

Actually the environments, level structure and effects look as if lifted directly from Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (which was extremely Diablo-like) – except in THAT title they made sense.

• StenL says:

The Lara Croft comparison is excellent, that is exactly what Diablo 3 is looking like, only not as good. I was one of the ones laughing at the fanboys whining about them not making it grimdark enough, but now that we have seen more of it, the artstyle really is pretty bad or at least not suited for Diablo.

6. Shroom says:

Yet again amazed at how stunningly FrozenByte can create a beautiful Fairytale-like asthetic that is so wonderfully unique in comparison to most fantasy environments without being ridiculous or outlandish. Cannot wait for this.

7. trigger_rant says:

Needs to be more visceral.

• Josh W says:

D’you mean more organic physicality? Or just more blood and guts?

Because when watching that I was reminded of the film Avatar, and the way they added motion and breezes and stuff into their world, despite it being all coral reef colour and floating yes mountains.

I’d love to see more of that in games, where people make a serene scene, then put little bits of motion and simulation into it, to give it that solidity on top of it’s beauty. You could make the adjustments very subtle, and it would still expand the space, give it depth etc.

8. mjig says:

Day 1 purchase. I love that music in the trailer, the beginning reminds me of a song in one of the Zelda games but I can’t remember which.

9. Vexing Vision says:

Does anyone else have a Last Unicorn flashback?

I got lucky on the GamesCom and dragged into a shady booth full of even more shady French people to play the game.

Definitely a buy.

10. ghor says:

I just spent this morning drinking coffee and watching all their making of videos that I’ve been previously unaware of. If only every morning was like this.

11. noodlecake says:

If only Call of Duty looked like this

• Kollega says:

I second this notion. Oh, how much i second this notion. If only someone made an FPS with such beautiful graphics and art direction. Instead of all the boring desert, industrial, and desert industrial environments, have majestic forests, grandiose castles, and beautiful caves full of luminescent crystals. Sure, it’d be harder to make – but the end result would look absolutely fantastic.

A colorful, steampunk fantasy FPS. Think about it.

12. Shadowcat says:

I guess that was nice, if you’re the sort of person who enjoys staring into the sun?!

Maybe they could back that off a notch or twelve…

13. stahlwerk says:

It’s that season already, isn’t it? Tag: “Horace scriptures”.

14. ChainsawCharlie says:

I can never get past the fact why a Finnish studio would name make a fantasy themed platformer named Trine. Trine is a common first name in Norway. I know they pronounce it is thrine as in throne.
    Anyway I will rename my next racing game to Pekka.

Nero says:

I want it now!

16. Urthman says:

Isn’t this a parody of that one Guild Wars 2 trailer?

17. The Hammer says:

Triiiiiiiiiiiiine. :)

18. deadpan says:

This is Trine? Where are the Source engine physics objects ricocheting around the screen?

The game is looking marvelous from all the trailers. Looks like they put that Humble Bundle money to good use.

19. Coriform says:

Not a very useful trailer.

• adrena says:

thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to add nothing. please now regale us with a reasoned exposition on ‘useful’ as it applies to video game trailers, and then place this trailer in that context, thereby making an actual point.

20. gwathdring says: