Host In Space: Gratuitous Space Battles DLC

By Adam Smith on September 15th, 2011 at 2:58 pm.

Lots of people think ivy is a parasite. It isn't.

Observant eyes may have noticed that there’s a new expansion out for Gratuitous Space Battles, the fleet building slice of indie goodness from Positech. While this fresh bit of DLC doesn’t add any new game modes, it does add 10 new ships, three new pieces of equipment and a new scenario. The new ships belong to the titular Parasites faction, who sound very unpleasant indeed. Swanning around the galaxy looking for host species to grow their larvae in? It’s not on. There’s a trailer showing some particularly gratuitous space battles below and a new pic from Positech’s upcoming Gratuitous Tank Battles for your eyes to look at.

I told you it was gratuitous. Heck, the game’s title told you it was. The expansion pack is $5.99/£4.91 and is available under the DLC button here.

Jim wrote about Gratuitous Tank Battles a while ago and it sounded very good indeed, containing, as it will, both trench warfare and death-dealing giant robots. While it shares design elements with its space sibling, as well as building an army you’ll be expected to take a more hands-on role once the fighting starts.

Click for a large version of the pic, which is intended to show off the all-important user interface.

Not as gratuitous as expected

, , , , , .

1. Zarunil says:

While more races are always fun (I have all DLCs), I’d prefer if he’d focus on the Massively Single-player part, Galactic Conquest. It’s the most exciting feature of GSB, IMO, and the one with the most untapped potential. Think Star Wars: Rebellion.

• Wilson says:

Just how good is the Galactic Conquest addon? I got plenty of enjoyment out of the basic GSB, but never felt tempted by any of the DLC packs because I got kind of bored with the game after a while (probably because I didn’t really get involved with the online competitive part of the game).

I would love to try a demo of the Galactic Conquest mode to see if it rekindles my enjoyment of the game.

• Fearzone says:

I’d love to see them make a 4x strategy game using these ships and this art style. As it is, the gameplay is alright but seems heavily driven by trial-and-error and gets stale quickly for me.

2. TechRogue says:

Nobody loves you.

3. Unaco says:

Gah! More DLC! Whatever happened to the days of solid, satisfying expansion packs and FreeLC, rather than the drip, drip, drip of content and costs?

Always thought this looked possibly interesting as a game… But the price has always put me off. Is a bit on the steep side for my liking, never really seemed worth it. And now with all the DLC… I’ll probably keep and eye out, if I see it on Steam for super cheap and there’s a GOATEE edition.

Cinek says:

Naaww… just a new race? No improvements in AI? No improvements in galactic conquest? No stuff to get rid of armor tanks? At least Flak Canons came out, though I’m not very sure it will help with fighter-swarm fleets after all. Bleah…. *disappointment*

5. Zeewolf says:

Is this the 46th or 47th piece of DLC for this game?

6. Matt says:

Does anyone know if GTB has/will have destructible terrain?

7. Iskariot says:

Any space RTS I see makes me long more and more for a solid sequel to the Homeworld games.
    Epic, why have you forsaken us.