Inside The Tech Inside: The Swindle

By Lewie Procter on September 15th, 2011 at 4:45 pm.

Achieved With The GiANT Engine
You may remember we exclusively revealed Size Five Games’ The Swindle all the way back in July. Details have been scarce on it ever since, but I managed to sneak into the Size Five blog, where I found Dan sharing fresh news of the engine that The Swindle will be running on. Here he is, in his own highly quotable words:

The GiANT engine is built on four core technologies, which have allowed me to construct a custom platform game engine capable of all sorts of whizzy graphical treats.

He goes on to talk about physics doodahs, and lighting wotsits. Sounds complicated: But fun! He says he’s “largely targeting PC”, and that’s because PC is the best!

Read all about the GiANT Engine here, and get regular bite sized development updates on Dan’s twitter. This one is sounding like it could be something special.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. armaankhan says:

Ever since Zombie Cow died and Size Five rose up to take it’s place, I only ever hear about Dan. What happened to Ben? Did he buried in Zombie Cow’s grave?

• Teddy Leach says:

Dan was always the star.

• Mr. Icarus says:

It’s something of a Penn & Teller / Marx Brothers relationship

• Thants says:

Ben wouldn’t sign the sanity clause.

• Ben says:

Oops, bit late to reply.

I’m not actually a Size Five/Zombie Cow co-founder or even full-timer – I’ve always been a freelance designer. People assume the company is Dan and me, because of the Dan And Ben games, but those are actually two of the only three S5 games I’ve worked on (along with “additional design” on Gibbage).

Frankly, I think Dan should give me half the company just so I can stop running around the internet correcting people.

2. Mr_Initials says:

PC is the best!

You heard it here folks! That’s it no more gaming news. Ever.

3. mdblin says:

top game goods that there can help everybody play the game so easy,welcome to http://url7.me/kVh4

4. MikoSquiz says:

Aw, crap. I was hoping they’d go back to adventure games. And the old, better name.

5. Wulf says:

I really dig what they’re doing with this, graphically.

6. kristen says:

This post just made me sad. The game looks awesome but honestly a custom engine is hardly ever worth it. It reminds me of Daniel Cook’s advice to indies:

Focus on engines. Wow…so much passion for cool engine tech. Such an incredible waste of life. Almost every single design I saw did not require a custom engine and could have been done in half the time with Unity or Flash. And the game play would not suffer in the least. And 100-1000 times as many people would play it.

Mo says:

Eh, “engine” is an overloaded word. I agree with Cook, but what Dan’s doing here is taking XNA and a bunch of great libraries, integrating them, and giving it a name.

Cook’s advice, I believe, is more along the lines of every computer scientist’s “brilliant” idea to build an engine entirely from scratch, with custom tools, etc, reasoning that “after the engine is done, the game will be so easy to make!”

• Lazaruso says:

“engine is an overloaded word”

C++ pun?

7. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

I know I always get to these late because of my timezone, but guys, I just think you should know – before you get too excited – this is the same guy that thinks the Syndicate FPS is a good idea.

• skinlo says:

So? Doesn’t mean he can make good games?

• Nallen says:

SyndFPS is a good idea. Colonial Marines is a good idea, Bladerunner the game is a good idea, LOTR the movies are a good idea. I know we see a lot of shitty genre shifts but that doesn’t mean all genre shift is inherently bad. Give it a chance or at least justify why it’s such a terrible idea.

• Teddy Leach says:

It’s a better idea than X-Com. Oh, sorry, XCOM. Have you actually read his thoughts on it?

8. HolyLiaison says:

Looks like LIMBO but with color.

FYI if you haven’t bought/played LIMBO yet, do it!