Might Be TIE Fightin: Lucasarts Hiring

By Adam Smith on September 15th, 2011 at 1:54 pm.

They must realise this fellow is capable of printing money?

Lucasarts made many of my favourite games of the ‘90s, a time when I was a very happy gamer indeed. There were all the classic adventure games and then there were the space sims, X-Wing and TIE Fighter. I sometimes forget just how good they were and then I get confused about the fact that I’m not playing a brand spanking new version right now. It really has been a while, hasn’t it? But perhaps the wait is over. The eagle eyes of Gamespot have noticed that Lucasarts are looking to hire developers to work on three new titles, one of which is an aerial combat game. Speculation, ho!

That could mean all sorts of things but the advert does specify that experience with “space-based shooters” is of particular benefit. It’s all in the heady realm of guesswork and idle dreaming at the moment but if we are on the verge of an announcement of the possibility of a far-off release of a new TIE Fighter, I say it’s about time.

There are two other games hinted at, one an action/adventure game, the other an FPS. I’m not going to speculate about those because I’m too busy thinking about TIE Fighter. It’s one of the last Star Wars things that I still love without question so maybe I’m being a slave to the license here. I know there are other good space sims out there. But the sights and sounds of those particular space battles are like my childhood and for some reason I want my childhood to look all fancy and modern.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. BobsLawnService says:

A competent Tie Fighter sequel is too good an idea to ever happen. I predict a HAWX type game reskinned as a Tuskagee Airmen game instead.

• MisterT says:

that would only make sense if the movie involved them fighting the Luftwaffe in space, because the post does explicitly state spafe shooter!

2. Big Murray says:

To be honest, I’d just be happy to see a new, well-made space shooter. I don’t think we’ve had a truly good one since I-War 2.

3. JiminyJickers says:

I want the DCS guys to make a Tie fighter game.

Even if Lucasarts make a decent Tie fighter / X-wing game then I will be overjoyed.

4. Betamax says:

Dare I hope that LucasArts have gotten their act together…

5. Isometric says:

Please don’t be prequel based!

6. Gabbo says:

A proper Indiana Jones action/adventure game, like what was used to show off their physics tech, Dark Forces 5/Jedi Knight: Subtitle, and Tie-Fighter would put them in my good graces for at least half a decades worth of shit titles. Alternatively, new IP’s that don’t suck would be good too.

7. Navagon says:

At best you’re looking at XCOM in space. Lucasarts, like their parent company really just don’t understand Star Wars anymore.

8. Novotny says:

I refuse to hope. I want it so bad I must ensure I cannot be disappointed. Will not happen! Will not!

9. lucasdigital says:

Had the vacancy ad appeared last year, I’d have sworn they were actually looking to field a WWII aerial combat game to coincide with Lucasfilms up-and-coming Red Tails.

I’d suggest that the ‘especially space-based shooters’ comment need not automatically indicate that the title will also be a space-based shooter. That said, the timing surely wouldn’t be right for a tie-in to Red Tails, given that the film is due out soon, and any game title will be 2 years away.

Has anyone heard anything about the tie-in Inception game – one that was being touted as a serious effort?

10. Iskariot says:

I would love Tie Fighter 2. Tie Fighter was fantastic.
    Please include a mission editor this time.
    I still have all the original x-wing, tie-fighter, X-wing vs Tie-fighter etc games on my book shelve.
    Imagine what they could do with modern technology.
    I also would love a Privateer/Elite kind of space trading/fighting game set in the Star Wars universe. They never got around to making something like that and there is hardly any gaming universe imaginable that is better suited for such a game than the Star Wars universe.

11. Zedo Mann says:

Maybe Battlefront III?
    Please?

12. Firestem4 says:

I would be a happy man if i could finally rescue Sev. Heres to hoping its Republic Commando 2! If they did, i’d buy all of the other crap games they shove out with not a thought about it :)