PopCap Are Getting Weirder: New PvZ Song

By John Walker on September 15th, 2011 at 5:56 pm.

Wabby wabby woo.

Plants Vs. Zombies continues to be a sensation on every format it touches – I’ve heard that it’s soon coming out for digital calculators and answer-phones – which is presumably bringing in enough money to pay enough people to create something as spectacularly silly as the latest… trailer? Video? Proof that there’s something in the air conditioning at their headquarters?

It’s the level of detail that gets me. The blurred out logo on the t-shirt, the realisation those super-vocoded voices are singing about brains, the effort that must have gone into that painting in the background for a few seconds.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. TillEulenspiegel says:

They must be working on sequel. Surely. That’s what PopCap does.

Now where the hell is it already? I demand more plants and/or zombies!

2. nimzy says:

It’s good to see EA hasn’t crushed their spirits… yet.

• Ultra-Humanite says:

I’m guessing the pools of loose cash they have to swim through to get to their cubicles will help with that as well.

• Jumwa says:

Maybe encoded in his gibberish is some help message, pleading for assistance against their new EA overlords.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

PopCap’s next game has been delayed after several employees were severely injured in what was described as “a Scrooge McDuck-style dive” into a pile of gold coins a hundred feet deep.

• Zogtee says:

No sequel (yet), no expansion, and no DLC. No DLC! Someone at EA must be going insane over that one.

3. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Here’s the obvious cross-promotion:

The Left 4 Dead special zombies in PvZ2 and some of the weirder PvZ zombies (disco zombie, Zamboni zombie, Newspaper Zombie, etc.) in Left 4 Dead 3/next L4D1&2 update.

I await my paycheck, Valve & PopCap.

4. NecroKnight says:

Sense, this video has none.

5. sincarne says:

Pedantry time: I think the phrase you’re looking for is “More dollars than sense.” It’s a pun!

6. rayne117 says:

It’s good to see they’re still going for the family friendly appeal.

o_O

7. Sweedums says:

Every time you post something PvZ related it confuses me as the first thing to come to mind is Protoss v Zerg…. GET OUT OF MY HEAD STARCRAFT!

8. mdblin says:

top game goods that there can help everybody play the game so easy,welcome to http://url7.me/kVh4

• Wulf says:

Are you trying to sell me robots? I mean, if you’re trying to sell me robots then you might be the first spam bot that I don’t find objectionable. Tell me more about your product line!

9. BooleanBob says:

Hi. Sorry I can’t come to the phone right now – but please, leave your name, number and build order after the beep. Cheers *beep*

10. MikoSquiz says:

However, that is some remarkably poor mumble-rapping; it’s been done before, but seldom so badly.

11. Scandalon says:

It also doubles as mocking hip-hop.

Which isn’t difficult, but is needed.

• Wulf says:

Precisely!

(And it’s doing a good job because it’s more of a light-hearted rib jab than a nasty out and out mocking, which I wouldn’t find funny at all.)

• JFS says:

By the way, do the inhabitants of Castle Shotgun like Hip Hop? I guess no, but then again, who does?

• rayne117 says:

Yeah I hate every single one of the thousands and thousands of hip hop artists too. I’ve heard every one of them and I hate them all. Every one.

• Thants says:

Yeah, no one likes Hip Hop. It’s not like it’s one of the most popular musical styles in the world or anything.

• Thermal Ions says:

@rayne117
      Thanks for confirming for me that my opinion based upon limited exposure to hiphop is born out across the board. You’ve saved me many hours of pain and concern about having a misinformed opinion now.

• MajorManiac says:

@ JFS:

I’m not expert on the matter, but just encase you’re not aware. Don’t mistake pop hip-hop (ie. that terrible noise on the radio/tv) with what can be good hip-hop.

Gangster rap is a sub genre of hip-hop, and one that is generally puerile. There are other types that are more informative and nicer sounding.

• Wang Tang says:

I agree with MajorManiac. For a start on good hip hop, try “k-os – Atlantis: Hymns for Disco”

For those German people with us, there are of course great hip hop songs from the golden 90s era, when not everything was gangsta-rap – now prevalent in Germany as well :(

• Nick says:

I was always partial to a bit of Jurassic 5.. and who can honestly say they don’t like The Sugarhill Gang?

12. Navagon says:

“You know the phrase, “more money than sense”? PopCap have an awful lot of money…”

This site would be lost without you, John.

13. Blackseraph says:

That yeti is marvelous.

Whatever they have in their air conditioning, they should get more of it.

14. db1331 says:

Don’t stone me, but I’ve actually never played PvZ. What’s the definitive version? The Steam one?

• Navagon says:

I’m pretty sure they’re all the same (apart from the fact that the others aren’t tied to Steam, of course).

• Wulf says:

Uh, the PC version directly from PopCap isn’t tied to Steam, either.

I’m not entirely sure what you were trying to do there, but I think you shot the ISS whilst trying to hit the barn. Which is an accomplishment, but perhaps not the one you were shooting for.

• Qazi says:

The DS version has a new game mode, and a few more mini-games, that I think didn’t get patched into the PC version.

Not played the other ones, so I don’t know what features they’ve had added/removed.

• Thermal Ions says:

If looking for the PC version, I’d say go with getting it through Steam. I’ve had (admittedly some time back) mixed experiences with purchases direct from Popcap with games no longer available after an “upgrade” of their site left me unable to re-download and no response from their support. New releases were generally cheaper through Steam too.

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Edit – OK never mind.

For the record, haven’t played it myself, or even seen it played myself. Loaded, viewed… Unsure as to what the fuss is about, insufficiently concerned to find out.

15. ain says:

What’s this got to do with Protoss vs Zerg again?

16. TsunamiWombat says:

Popcap got 99 problems but money ain’t one.

17. jay35 says:

They dick around with this stuff but have yet to update the iPad version to match the iPod’s last two content updates.

18. ulix says:

If Ypu’re doing a rap video like this, can’t you put in more than two sentences?

I mean, couldn’t the crazy dude have had an incredible flow and incredible rhymes in the language he is speaking?

Wasted opportunity.

• Wulf says:

They were making a jab at the qualitative content of rap with that.

It is a joke. I actually liked it! For you though it was a failed effort. Can’t do anything about that. Maybe their next video will click with you better.

• ulix says:

See, the thing is that many commercially successful rappers, judging by what they’re saying, already had their brains stolen. Sure.
      But at the same time they usually have some kind of flow, delivery, style, voice-melody, rhyme-density, whatever… that elevates them from the thousands of rappers that are doing the same thing in their basement (even one’s with university degrees), only worse.

It would have been an intelligent joke if it hadn’t just displayed what the mainstream thinks of rap/hiphop, but would’ve also showed the flipside of the coin.

I recommend to you the Channel 4 documentary “Life of Rhyme” that recently ran, it takes a decent (non-condescending), look at the rap scene in the UK.

Whoever thinks hiphop is dominated by stupidity surely is stupid themselves. Mainstream-rap? Maybe. Rap in general? Nothing could be further from the truth.

Hiphop can be, and often is, today’s most demanding music style, lyrically and content-wise.

/Rant over. nuff said.

19. Kleppy says:

PvZ is one of most overrated games I have ever played. I played through something like 50 levels on my phone hoping It’s going to actually become fun any minute… it never did. I wonder if all tower defense games are as boring as this one.

• ZeroMatter says:

I couldn’t disagree more. PvZ is easily amongst my top ten favorite games of all time. (And I never play casual games at all – the other nine are mostly RPGs.)
      You are actually the first person I’ve ever heard from who didn’t like it.
      Heck, I even have a friend who hates TDs with a passion, and he loves PvZ.

• pipman3000 says:

“…boring…” “…I played through something like 50 levels…”

“…boring…”

“…played…50 levels…”

• Wulf says:

Different strokes! I’m a big fan of PvZ too.

• Kleppy says:

IRT pipman3000:

My job entails me sitting on my ass for 8 hours a day mostly doing nothing. So yes, it’s very possible for me to play even the dullest of games while being bored out of my mind.

• gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

So boring I beat the game eight times waiting for the fun, right?

Kleppy, I suggest getting a Genesis emulator and Super Hydlide for your iPhone if you really want to experience boring.

• Thermal Ions says:

Wait, PvZ is a tower defence game? I thought it was a third person zombie shooter.

• MajorManiac says:

I don’t know if the phone version differs, but I would suggest trying a demo on the PC to see if it plays in a more fun way.

20. TeraTelnet says:

But – but I … wait, what?

21. Adekan says:

Never cared for the game, couldn’t make it through the demo without losing interest. Got a good chuckle out of this though.

22. amishmonster says:

So that’s what that jerk did with all my coins from buying tree-fertilizer.

23. Fumarole says:

And now I simply must have that medallion as my new avatar.

24. Kez says:

Ugh, RPS is getting unreadable with these slow-as-molasses loading ads. I stare at the stupid eurogamer.com URL trying to load the ads for 30 seconds.

25. Vinraith says:

PvZ was cute as hell, and reasonably entertaining, but the adventure mode was too damned long and repetitive IMO. By the time the game opened up and unlocked all the best modes, I was kind of sick of it, which is a damned shame. I really loved “I, Zombie” mode, though.

Oh, and this video, like all PvZ media it seems, is marvelous. The hydraulics on the bobsled alone make the entire exercise worthwhile.

26. Tei says:

Maybe is time for then to make another awesome game. Re-re-releasing new versions, and tryiing to sell the game to people that already have the game is getting old. Lets move on.

27. kazooka says:

The PC version has a lot of mini-games that the various other versions do not. Based on my girlfriend’s relentless consumption of all things Plant vs. Zombie.

edit: This was supposed to be a response to the earlier question about versions. Oh well.

28. sokkur says:

Meybe it’s just to show off how rich Popcap really is.

29. Haml3t says:

Seems to me they should capitalize on the Crazy Dave brand potential they’ve created here. T-shirts, product endorsements, taco company, this could be huge. I for one would do quite a lot to get Crazy Dave to endorse my party.

Comment on this story