Renegade Ops: It’s Out Soonish

By Lewie Procter on September 15th, 2011 at 10:03 am.

When is a launch trailer not a launch trailer? That’s right, kids, when the game isn’t due out for another couple of weeks. That’s the awkward situation Renegops has thrust us into: It has just came out on the consoles, but isn’t going to be gracing the PC with it’s presence until later on this month. Still, we’ve got pretty moving pictures to keep ourselves entertained in the meantime:

The trailer is mostly comic book style cinematics, but if you stick around to the end, there’s some action too. Hey, have they ripped off the split screen thing from the LEGO games? Fantastic.

We might have to wait a bit longer than those controller toting sofa dwellers, but as mentioned by comrade Alec in his preview, Avalanche have said that they’re going to try to make up for it by including some additional features in the PC version, and the PC only (heavilly discounted) 4-Pack is still available to preorder via Steam.

Renegops is certainly looking like a fun time so far. There’s more hot video of it in action over here. Are you lot already splitting into groups of four to get this, or do you need a bit more convincing first?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. JB says:

My friend bought a 4-pack a while back and chucked me a copy (and sold on the other 2 copies). We’re just waiting on the release now, they’ve been pretty coy about mentioning a date for the PC at all.

So, we don’t need convincing, just need the game to be released!

2. Qark says:

I’m just disappointed that Australian customers have to pay an extra $5 US for no apparent reason at all. It’s not like there’s any brick and motor stores to contend with, it makes no sense. I like these devs and I loved Just Cause 2. Shame, I really wanted to buy this game.

3. Gnoupi says:

The game is really tempting, and looks like fun. the preorder offer is also very tempting (finally it’s -50% when you buy in packs of 4).

But I’m waiting for actual reviews, because while it looks great, I’m not sure yet how it will run, and feel on our PCs.

Any idea if RPS will have a review up and running while the preorder pack will still be running? That would avoid most of the dilemma.

• Lewie Procter says:

I’ve not actually seen any indication that the 4-Pack is a preorder only thing. I think it might actually stick around after release. I’ll see if I can find out anything more concrete.

• Gnoupi says:

The Steam announcement seems to imply that this is limited to preorder:

Renegade Ops is available now for pre-purchase on Steam with a special “Buy 4 for the Price of 2″ deal when purchased before the September release.

• Lewie Procter says:

Oh, I missed that.

We’ll see what we can do.

• Cryotek says:

You can pre-order it on Green Man Gaming for 15% off, then add a 20% check out code to that (google them). I think I paid about $10 for it. And it is a Steam game, so they just give you a code on release day.

• shoptroll says:

I would like an impression too, even if it’s based on the 360/PS3 version like was done with From Dust. This looks appealing to me but I’ll probably be fronting for a bundle pack so I’d like to know how easy it’ll be to get others to join.

4. godgoo says:

We’re all living in Kratos’ world now, we should think ourselves lucky, he’s normally a Sony exclusive.

5. Kollega says:

When watching the trailer, only one word comes to mind: EXTREEEEEEME!!!

But the game itself is probably worth looking into.

6. Film11 says:

Buggeration! But I want it now, darnit! Now now now!

7. Khemm says:

Steam exclusive? Why?…
    That aside, it looks great. Someone please use that engine to remake Jungle/Desert/Nuclear Strike. PLEASE.

• Film11 says:

You can actually get it at a number of digital distribution vendors, but the keys all have to be registered to Steam.

• Khemm says:

@Film1G
      Yes, that’s the problem, hence I said Steam exclusive. Kind of stupid to buy from Gamersgate, but still be forced to install and run Steam.

• pkt-zer0 says:

“Steam exclusive? Why?…”
      Unlimited redownloads, autopatching, cloud saves, leaderboards, matchmaking, etc. Not going to quote the whole Steamworks featureset.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, it’s using Steam as its multiplayer framework, which is a helluva lot better than the alternatives.

8. frenz0rz says:

I got a major late-90s WWF nostalgiagasm from that trailer.

Hardy Boyz/Team Xtreme – best intro ever when you’re 10 years old.

9. Maxheadroom says:

Bah

I was hoping it’d be a remake of Renegard or Target Renegade

sad face

10. wodin says:

Had visions of a Car Wars mod..but would have to be wego or turn based which I’m sure is beyond the engine\code.

11. The JG Man says:

Not enough explosions and fire.

(Already part of a 4-pack, just waiting on it to come out now.)

12. daraujo says:

When I saw that picture I thought it was a gritty Jonny Quest version of Goku.

13. johnpeat says:

As per the thread in the forum – tried this on 360 and it’s AWESOME.

It’s Jackal for the 21st Century – if there’s a downside it’s the whopping 2GB download but I assume that’s because it’s so awesome! :)

Seriously tho – it’s the most fun I’ve had in a demo in eons – a demo which doesn’t even try to lure you into buying it because it KNOWS you’ll buy it anyway :)

14. ChainsawCharlie says:

Hopefully this will finance parts of Just Cause 3.

15. Cryotek says:

So which of you are going to to be stupid enough to play it without a 360 controller and then whine that the controls on PC suck?

16. adonf says:

If the split-screen co-op is really as shown in the trailer, with the rotating separation line and with screens joining when the characters are close it’s a day-1 buy for me.