Unveiled: Blackwell Deception

By Lewie Procter on September 15th, 2011 at 11:33 am.

Blackwell Deception, the fourth game in the ghostly point and click Blackwell series, has just been announced unto the world. And crikey, what an announcement it is. Wadjet Eye Games have dropped us a line to let us know that Blackwell Deception has a release date of the 12th of October. Also! There’s a trailer, embeded below for your viewing pleasure. Also, also! There’s a demo available right now, just click here to get it.

It’s like the 90s never ended, in a good way. I’ve not played any of these games yet, but I think I’m going to go back and play them all now: This trailer is ace!

Mr Cobbett’s going to be bringing you the in depth lowdown on this when it releases next month, so that’s something to look forward to.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Grape says:

Huh. Fancy.

2. Khemm says:

Neat, downloading the demo. I never got around to trying out the Blackwell trilogy, but I’m a fan of Wadjet Eye’s Gemini Rue. Awesome game which sadly many people seem to have missed out on.

3. Sami H says:

fourth game… Trilogy…

4. Vexing Vision says:

That trailer is indeed neat.

How are the other three games? My interest, it is most certainly piqued.

• Richard Cobbett says:

They’re good. The first one is kinda ropey, as you’d expect for a first effort, but with a really cool premise. the second really stepped things up, the third was really enjoyable, but a little too bogged down in the first two games’ stories.

The latest one, Deception, is easily the best so far though. It’s a stand-alone story (though with connections to the earlier ones, obviously) and with some great writing. More in October when the game’s actually out.

Hodge says:

Just to be different, I’m going to say that the first three got weaker as they went along, although the production values improved. Still, all three are highly recommended (and I think they’re all being sold together now anyway).

And definitely set aside the time to play them all through in sequence, as this is very much a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

5. Squirrelfanatic says:

I think there is also some kind of pre-order package available. Something like 25$ for all 4 games, including shipment (not sure about the last bit). If anybody has some experiences with these games he would be willing to share I might actually go for that. I played a bit of “The Shiva” (I think it is free?) and liked what I saw.

• Angel Dust says:

I’ve played all three and quite enjoyed the first two, the second one being the best, but never actually finished the third. It didn’t really grab me and the puzzles have gotten worse as the series has gone on. Not increasingly obscure but simpler to the point where it feels like you’re not really doing anything. The first game (and maybe the second?) has this great little mechanic where your character took notes and you could cross reference the notes to unlock new lines of questioning etc. I was looking forward to seeing it developed more but it was pretty much dropped after that game.

• Richard Cobbett says:

They’re better in this one. Not vast amounts of notebook combining, though there are a couple of moments of that, but a bit more actual investigation. Much better/pacier story than Convergence as well.

• marach says:

Think of it this way bigfish gives you 1 hour to demo a game.. I completed the third and have about 5 minutes left of demo time… I was suprised the first 2 had taken a good couple of hours each.

Anthile says:

Still bitter that Gemini Rue got mostly ignored by RPS. Booo!

7. RyuRanX says:

Looks good!

phlebas says:

Looking forward to this a lot – I’ve enjoyed Wadjet Eye’s last couple of releases (especially Gemini Rue) but it’s great to see a new game from Dave himself.

9. Betamax says:

Shiny! That’s my birthday. If this is as good as I’m hearing it’ll make a nice, nostalgic, present. Time to go hint heavily at people.

10. Deano2099 says:

Anyone get the logic in how it is being sold?

It’s either $25 for a DVD, which comes with all the previous games, and also downloads of the third one and this one when it’s out. But not the first two.

Or $15 for a download of this one and the third one.

No option to just buy a download of all the games and get the first three now while this is made ready for release…. (I’d feel like a mug paying $20 for the download of just the first three too)

11. Dozer says:

Nothing to do with the Blackwall Tunnel then?

12. Shazbut says:

Some mysterious force is not letting me reply so I’ll have to say here that Gemini Rue is the best point and clicker so far this millenium, in my opinion. As for this, have been meaning to give these games a go for ages so I’m happy. Love Wadjet Eye

13. adonf says:

Lewie Procter won’t be a true part of the hivemind until he masters the ancient techniques of the alt-text.