Orcs Must Die’s Magic Interactive Video

By Adam Smith on September 16th, 2011 at 2:01 pm.

Guess what those orcs are going to do?

Robot Entertainment seem to realise that if they’re going to tell us that Orcs Must Die, they damn well better give us plenty of ways to make that happen. They could have gone a different route and cast the player as the orcs pipe-smoking bowler-hatted defendant. Press the left mouse button to say, “Must they though, gentlemen of the court? Must they really?” Instead, they’ve just laden their tower defence type game with all manner of traps and have decided to show some of the various ways that orcs will die in this enjoyable interactive trailer. It’s like playing Heavy Rain but with green humanoids instead of red herrings.

Worth nothing that when you click those interactive bits you’ll be taken away from RPS and find yourself in the Youtubes. Don’t worry though, you can come back afterwards. We won’t go anywhere.

The game is out next month and while it probably won’t be the most complicated killtoy around, it looks enjoyable enough. And it makes a change from zombies.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Wang Tang says:

Please tell me it has co-op. PLEASE.
    Sanctum was much fun playing with friends.

Oh, and the spring traps look wonderful :D

• Abundant_Suede says:

This game looks like a blast to play with a friend. Co Op was my first thought. I’m not a fan of co-op for co-op’s sake, but this game definitely looks like something that would be more fun with a friend to coordinate with and watch all the chaos unfold.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Looks like no Co-Op for OMD. Pity. Game seems like it was made for Co-Op.

There is Dungeon Defenders though, in the same vein, which does have co op. But no Spring Traps :(

[edit] DD looks pretty interesting in its own right. OMD looks like a fast paced action/shooter with light TD elements. DD is a co-op Action RPG/Tower Defence Hybrid with more literal Tower Defence and all those typical addictive ARPG mechanics.

• baaoma says:

Value for money, do online shopping in the unexpected, a mix of world famous brand. Reliable quality! Welcome to :

• alice says:

I actually spoke with one of the developers about this at PAX as I assumed it would be co-op. They said they were focusing on the single-player aspect and were not entirely sure adding multiple people with the current balance would make sense other than a cash-in feature. So i assume if co-op gets added (maybe in Orcs, Would You Please Die Already?) they will have thought it through.

• Zarunil says:

This looks like it would be great fun in co-op. I probably won’t get it if it’s single-player only. Hopefully they patch it in later.

• Wang Tang says:

@Abundant_Suede
      thanks for the heads up, I looked into that as well. Although no co-op at launch is disappointing, there might be a good chance they add it later. And Dungeon Defenders looks good too, although I’m more the shooter type, I can get into some RPGing from time to time. With towers, of course.

2. Whosi says:

Nicely done on the interactive trailer. Looks like this will be a quicker play than Sanctum. Going to keep an eye out for this.

3. Kaira- says:

I’ll just put (almost) all of my money for those spring traps.

Edit: also, map editor please.

4. Choca says:

Looks fun.

5. Sinomatic says:

It is so nice to see a bit of games marketing that actually wants to make me play the game more and not less.

6. Vexing Vision says:

Well done! After playing around with the interactiveness, I’ll buy the game.

Score 1 for Community Management. :D

• Shandrakor says:

^^ This. It’s been simply ages since there’s been a solid, well-managed ad campaign that’s made me want to buy a game. Most, like, say….(cough)…SW:TOR, have exactly the opposite effect. I could actually see buying a Steam 4pack or pair of ‘em for this awesomeness.

• Tei says:

Yea, this way to sell the game is pure genius. At the final of the wave5 is was really invested in my dude winning, and he did :D

7. Freud says:

Looks like great fun. Looks like it will be one of those games you can pick up and play for 30 minutes when you are semi-bored, like most of the good tower defense games are.

8. biz says:

wish it was first person like igw

9. Hallgrim says:

Really? I’m pretty sick of the 1st person perspective. 3rd person feels like it gives some peripheral awareness that I miss from 1st person games.

10. Zarunil says:

Holy tapdancing Batman, what’s with all the spam?

11. ffordesoon says:

“They could have gone a different route and cast the player as the orcs pipe-smoking bowler-hatted defendant. Press the left mouse button to say, “Must they though, gentlemen of the court? Must they really?” ”

DAY ONE PURCHASE.

(Not this game, the game described above.)

Comment on this story