The Many Lights of Metro: Last Light

By Alec Meer on September 16th, 2011 at 10:54 am.

THQ and 4A’s Metro 2033 sequel promises a ‘last light’. I would like to take issue with this, for I can see over ten different lights across the following five new screenshots of the forthcoming post-apocalyptic, subterranean beast’n'manshooter. Who wants to call trade descriptions?

If you want to double-check the number of lights in these shots, I can only encourage you to click on each one for a larger image. Count carefully, and keep notes. Our case must be watertight. Unless, of course, one of these lights is the self-same ‘last light.’ Which one do you think it is? My money’s on the third green dot in the fifth shot.

(This looks rather good, doesn’t it? Just hope it retains the action-free, admiring the world explor-o-segments of the original, rather than becoming a straight up shooter).

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. CaspianRoach says:

I just hope it will be optimized, unlike the first game which was coughing and complaining while having the graphics level of call of duty.

• I LIKE FOOD says:

Not to mention an FOV that made me sick.

• Calneon says:

while having the graphics level of call of duty.

I’ve never heard of anything so ridiculous. Seriously, I’m lost for words now. I know some people seem to bash nearly every new release even if the graphics are great, but this is taking it to a new level. You’re saying Metro 2033 looks no better than Call Of Duty? There’s something wrong with yours eyes mate, go to Specsavers or something. Either that or you view light in a different way than the rest of us :S.

• kament says:

Don’t feed the troll, please.

• Calneon says:

My troll detectors are failing me.

• Sheng-ji says:

I have to agree with Calneon:

vs

No contest

(I choose the best cod screen I could find and went with the first vaguely similar metro shot)

• Echo Black says:

“while having the graphics level of call of duty.”

See, people, opinions can be wrong sometimes.

• GallonOfAlan says:

You mean … you mean … they’re not facts?

• CaspianRoach says:

Correction: While set to have a graphics level of call of duty.
      Correction: Newest Call of Duty.

• Stevostin says:

I found the first one to run surprisingly smooth and good looking on my system. Didn’t like the game, thus. A free roaming shooter ala S.T.A.L.K.E.R would have been so good, instead of yet another corridor shooter. It’s better thant COD (at least there’s an interesting angle + you’re not forced to play an imperialist murderer) but nothing memorable. I understand the 2nd will be pretty much as poor as the first regarding this. Too bad :(

• Calneon says:

Why does every shooter have to be ‘open world’ or ‘free roaming’. Metro 2033 was not a corridor shooter, there were varied settings, enemies, and encounters. Just because a game is linear doesn’t mean it is bad. In a linear game it is easier to create a narrative for the player where in a game like Stalker, it’s a lot harder because the player could go anywhere and do anything.

• Ultra-Humanite says:

Black Ops looks like shit, I don’t know what you are smoking that makes Call of Duty look half as good as Metro 2033.

• baaoma says:

Value for money, do online shopping in the unexpected, a mix of world famous brand. Reliable quality! Welcome to :

• heavymetal4life says:

LOL!, Call of duty, even newest one still would Fail, This game was by far the Best dx10/dx11 Game to hit the market yet IMO. So either like others have said 1st you are a fail troll, 2nd you have poor eyesight , or 3rd an final Your system must be a outdated dinosaur with crappy GPU’s and a crappy CPU and CRAPPY MEMORY, DUDE GO BUY ANOTHER SYSTEM BEFORE YOU EVER ATTEMPT TO PLAY A GAME AGAIN ON A IBM 610……..Sad….just sad… I was so outraged by the idiocy comment I had to register to this site just to talk shit.

2. Njordsk says:

Enjoyed the first, looking forward to the second.

And I didn’t find it unoptimised, it runned on HIGH on some modest machines. Though ULTRA is not reachable.

3. Calneon says:

First game was amazing. Only Amnesia has a better atmosphere. Can’t wait for the second one, hopefully they don’t make it any more of a shooter and take it more down the horror survival path.

• Sheng-ji says:

I really hope the stealth element works as well as it seemed to in the last vid we saw, that would imply that its going to be a tense game and not too much of a straight up shooter!

• Stevostin says:

There’s no such a thing as an “amazing” corridor shooter. IMO it was a very good corridor shooter, ie an average game.

• DrGonzo says:

Then please can you keep your closed mind quiet.

• MDevonB says:

Sad to say, this is the opposite of what you’re hoping for. All homo-sapien, no homo-novus. Though hopefully it isn’t as guns-blazing as it’s looking.

Stevostin, why are you complaining that Metro isn’t STALKER? If Metro was a free-roaming, open-world shooter, I’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two. And with STALKER, Clear Skies, Call of Pripyat, STALKER 2, and all the mods, it’s not like you’re going to be hard-pressed for open-world post-nuclear Russian wastelands with vaguely human mutants running about.

• JakotheShadow says:

Yeah corridor shooters like half life are totally shit because every big budget game is a corridor shooter now so everything that says corridor is bad. deal with it

AND YES 1 GOOD CORRIDOR FRANCHISE NEGATES ALL SHIT ONES

Edit: (looking at my steam games list) Not to mention Chronicles of Riddick, mirrors edge, Portal 1+2, L4d 1+2, rainbow six vegas 2. red faction 1 and on and on and on..

4. felisc says:

i want to shoot blue shotgun cartridges at ennemies too !

5. Makariel says:

I played Metro 2033 with Russian voices and subtitles just after reading Crime and Punishment. Was a very intense experience. I’m having the feeling the designers of Metro must be some of the most depressed people in the world, judging by the tone of the game. Looking forward to this one.

• plasticsaint says:

I did the same thing (I read dead souls before, not Crime and Punishment), and have to agree. Russians in general seem to be the masters of melancholy. I like it.

6. Khemm says:

The first game was mostly corridory, but it let you get rid of enemies how you pleased most of the time, it wasn’t CoD’s shooting gallery where everything feels like it’s scripted to the core.
    Hope they won’t chnage the gameplay formula, those videos they released have me worried.

7. Generic Individual says:

Interesting – I thought the original Metro 2033 was a beautiful looking but actually *terrible* first person shooter.

The basic man-shooting was okay, but the stealth was atrocious (if one guy in a level saw you, everyone in the level knew where you were – instant fail) and for me the atmosphere was contently ruined by the games insistence on ALWAYS having you accompanied by NPC’s who talked over the top of all the horror in their mockney-russian accents.

…. but i’m still looking forward to this in a way. It felt very different from the other FPS games out there.

8. Waltorious says:

The title does actually make sense… you see, the stuff we’ve seen so far is only the beginning of the plot. Soon, the player discovers that all the lights are slowly disappearing. The player must convince others of this deadly threat, and eventually unite all the various factions of the Metro in a desperate attempt to find and save the Last Light, before the world is plunged into darkness…. forever.

9. Navagon says:

Those screens look like digital paintings. Like high end concept art. I bet it’s a treat to see this running.

• Dozer says:

They have the same colourisation as modern films – ie everything is blue and orange. The Transformers Effect. Hopefully in ten years images like this will look dated just because of the colour palette.

Not saying they’re bad shots – they are amazing shots. But blue and orange shots.

• kament says:

Come on. It’s only natural when the fires gives orange colour to the scene and the flashlights gives blue. Would you call the colours of sky and sun—in fair weather—”outdated”?

• celewign says:

The first Metro was incredible. The graphics really were excellent. It was one of the best games I’ve playing in quite a while and I wish it hadn’t ended when it did.

10. outoffeelinsobad says:

This game should be released before winter is over. I don’t want to imagine playing it while the sun is out and birds are chirping and my stupid neighbor is mowing his lawn.

Comment on this story